The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:56 am

Huge boost for the SA economy with the AUKUS announcement. Brilliant news.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:55 pm

Booney wrote:Huge boost for the SA economy with the AUKUS announcement. Brilliant news.

Great news for the stats but doesn't seem to be going down well with the Chinese.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby tigerpie » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:30 pm

Jobs a plenty for engineering and construction.
Great news is we don't lose the skills in manufacturing.
Genuine pathway in engineering careers now, when it looked like it was all over in this state when Holden's shut.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby stan » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:40 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:Huge boost for the SA economy with the AUKUS announcement. Brilliant news.

Great news for the stats but doesn't seem to be going down well with the Chinese.
The timing of new Aukus subs runs straight into the likely timing of there Taiwan plans.
For the Chinese it really will be annoying having another Navy in the area to consider, albeit small, it's there.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:38 pm

Not according to some - https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... sw-vic-qld

"Look" he's still mangling the English language "you know"..........
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby DOC » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:28 pm

Not sure this is the link you intended
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:13 pm

DOC wrote:Not sure this is the link you intended

It was in the updates which is that link but looks like they've taken it down since his NPC speech
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:03 pm

Broken election promises....new CBD Ambulance station will be built at Mile End!

https://indaily.com.au/news/2023/03/20/ ... for-ambos/
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:08 am

Vickie Chapman, making comment of current liberal party. "male pale and stale" baaahaaa after 20 years of her!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:05 am

The explanation of Fixing Ramping was just 1/10 spin from Picton and Mali

Now it's #pillowgate, hopefully an audit of blankets are also done.
They never receive what they order daily....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:16 am

Claimed they order 2000 pillows a month

How this is a government problem is beyond me
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby stan » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:24 pm

Bahahahaha we never said we would ramping.....hahahahhahaa

You only did about 100,000 times and probably have some posters around d thst day it.

Good grief, how did they win the last election...
stan
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:28 pm

stan wrote:Bahahahaha we never said we would ramping.....hahahahhahaa

You only did about 100,000 times and probably have some posters around d thst day it.

How bad do you need to be to lose to this mob hey?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby stan » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:34 pm

MW wrote:
stan wrote:Bahahahaha we never said we would ramping.....hahahahhahaa

How bad do you need to be to lose to this mob hey?
Hahah yeah no shit.

We are pretty ****** ad a state.
stan
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:39 pm

shoe boy wrote:Vickie Chapman, making comment of current liberal party. "male pale and stale" baaahaaa after 20 years of her!

Drifting to the religiose right both federally and state is more the real issue for the Liberal Party. I've been a Liberal Party member since 1990, but I've been voting for independents the last few years.

Federally, there was Jamie Briggs in Mayo who turned many LP members towards voting for Rebekha Sharkey instead, and that disenchantment was boosted when they tried to slip in Downer's daughter from Interstate instead of running a genuinely local candidate.

Then statewise, there was the attempt to chuck out Dan Cregan by the religiose right wingers and replace him with one of their own. Result Dan went independent and got 75% of the vote.

So far I'm happy with both Albanese and Malinauskas...

I did even think of standing for Heysen at one time, and had Alexander Downer's backing, but my then wife was totally anti being a politician's wife. (She died in 2008. Now I'm married to a former SA politician's sister!)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:31 pm

Psyber wrote:Drifting to the religiose right both federally and state is more the real issue for the Liberal Party.

Psyber, do you think this is reflective of generational change that you're part of?

We've been an ageing population for some time and the "Boomers" are now in their 60'/70's/80's and as nature takes it's course this generally conservative generation is reducing in numbers. I'd also hasten a guess that the younger Boomers are being influenced in their thinking by their children and grand children, probably voting for things like Same Sex Marriage when they wouldn't have dreamt of it in their formative years.

Have your views softened / become more centric in recent years?

I think the Liberal party are tied to such "old fashioned" values that only the most right leaning feel engaged with them, the middle right I think has more empathy and liberal ( not liberal party ) thinking than ever before.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:37 pm

While nothing is ever as good or as bad as it seems the Liberal party has a serious identity issue in terms of its core beliefs.

That is, main-stream conservatism is only appealing to people who have something to conserve. If you look at the rate of renters in what have traditionally been the bluest of blue liberal seats you will notice that they have expanded drastically over the last 3-4 decades. Fundamentally, if you don't have a significant ownership stake in the body polity a conservative approach is going to be less appealing. You have less to lose from a fundamental change in the system.

Further, in respect of some of the culture wars the orthodox "right" position would seem to be contrary to what would be put as a conservative position. Take for example anthropogenic climate change, a burkean view of climate change would suggest that we would take steps purely to mitigate risk (in that it might be real, it might not) particularly given the material risk would appear to be a significant change to the status quo.

Similarly, orthodox conservatism propounded primacy of the family unit outside of government obstruction. Most people accept that a traditional family unit can come in a significantly different way to which it might have in the 1950s by way of same-sex relationships. A burkean view would have been to embrace and strengthen the family unit, rather than to resist it.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:47 pm

Booney wrote:
Psyber wrote:Drifting to the religiose right both federally and state is more the real issue for the Liberal Party.

Psyber, do you think this is reflective of generational change that you're part of?

We've been an ageing population for some time and the "Boomers" are now in their 60'/70's/80's and as nature takes it's course this generally conservative generation is reducing in numbers. I'd also hasten a guess that the younger Boomers are being influenced in their thinking by their children and grand children, probably voting for things like Same Sex Marriage when they wouldn't have dreamt of it in their formative years.

I think the Liberal party are tied to such "old fashioned" values that only the most right leaning feel engaged with them, the middle right I think has more empathy and liberal ( not liberal party ) thinking than ever before.

I've always called myself "the left wing of the Liberal Party".

Early in my voting life I voted for independents mostly, then I backed Gough Whitlam in twice, but they eventually turned me off and I voted Liberal the first time to chuck Gough out in 1975. I was a bit pro the Liberal Movement in SA but they withered away. I knew Steele Hall - his ex-wife was a friend of my then wife - the wife who died in 2008 - and we kept running into him at her place when he dropped in occasionally - and I went to school with Greg Crafter, and Terry Groom. Paul Keating pushed me towards the Liberals and that's when I joined the party. I've never been part of the right wing.

I was tempted to vote ALP several times under Kim Beasley but his replacement turned me off and he is now very right wing. I couldn't trust Bill Shorten but like Albanese so far. At the moment I'm backing independents again.

I've never been religious either - even though my parents met in the Salvation Army. My mother had an Anglican upbringing but I think my father just wanted to be in the band. He played Cornet, and Trombone.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:32 am

Psyber wrote:
Booney wrote:

I've always called myself "the left wing of the Liberal Party".

Early in my voting life I voted for independents mostly, then I backed Gough Whitlam in twice, but they eventually turned me off and I voted Liberal the first time to chuck Gough out in 1975. I was a bit pro the Liberal Movement in SA but they withered away. I knew Steele Hall - his ex-wife was a friend of my then wife - the wife who died in 2008 - and we kept running into him at her place when he dropped in occasionally - and I went to school with Greg Crafter, and Terry Groom. Paul Keating pushed me towards the Liberals and that's when I joined the party. I've never been part of the right wing.

I was tempted to vote ALP several times under Kim Beasley but his replacement turned me off and he is now very right wing. I couldn't trust Bill Shorten but like Albanese so far. At the moment I'm backing independents again.

I've never been religious either - even though my parents met in the Salvation Army. My mother had an Anglican upbringing but I think my father just wanted to be in the band. He played Cornet, and Trombone.

Correct - people were saying the Liberals were irrelevant back in the days of Whitlam and then Hawke. I voted for Labor to get Hawke in
It didn't take long before both of them were gone. Whitlam had the biggest ar$ekicking in history until Keating came along. Beazley would have made a better PM than Krudd, Gillard, Albanese or Shorten all put together. Timing is cruel

Maybe people forget that the "Boomers" were once young as well. They just dont get caught up in the doomsday hysteria of today
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Ronnie » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:38 pm

jo172 wrote:While nothing is ever as good or as bad as it seems the Liberal party has a serious identity issue in terms of its core beliefs.

That is, main-stream conservatism is only appealing to people who have something to conserve. If you look at the rate of renters in what have traditionally been the bluest of blue liberal seats you will notice that they have expanded drastically over the last 3-4 decades. Fundamentally, if you don't have a significant ownership stake in the body polity a conservative approach is going to be less appealing. You have less to lose from a fundamental change in the system.

Further, in respect of some of the culture wars the orthodox "right" position would seem to be contrary to what would be put as a conservative position. Take for example anthropogenic climate change, a burkean view of climate change would suggest that we would take steps purely to mitigate risk (in that it might be real, it might not) particularly given the material risk would appear to be a significant change to the status quo.

Similarly, orthodox conservatism propounded primacy of the family unit outside of government obstruction. Most people accept that a traditional family unit can come in a significantly different way to which it might have in the 1950s by way of same-sex relationships. A burkean view would have been to embrace and strengthen the family unit, rather than to resist it.

Maybe there is a conservative case for same sex marriage and some expound it, but the bigger issue to me is that
conservatives basically didn't even fight for the conservation of the traditional family unit, didn't even try. The breakdown of the family unit is, in my opinion, the biggest crisis in western societies like ours. To point out the bleeding obvious is to invite scorn and accusations of being judgemental but it's time to start being a bit honest about our situation.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics