Port Adelaide 2023

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2023

Postby Ronnie » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:38 am

Tredrea doing his best to revive his media career.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Vamos » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:46 am

Booney wrote:1-2 this year on the back of 2022 and the end of 2021.....it's not a small sample size that's being analyzed.

Correct, the Prelim no-show in 21 had people questioning, the 0-5 start in 22 undeniably planted the seed, that seedling has now flourished on the back of another 2 poor perfomances.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 451 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby tigerpie » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:49 am

Ronnie wrote:Tredrea doing his best to revive his media career.

He's bloody awful!
How he kept his job attempting to read an autocue badly on 9 is beyond me.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby JK » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:51 am

Booney wrote:1-2 this year on the back of 2022 and the end of 2021.....it's not a small sample size that's being analyzed.

You’re right, but either you had to snip him before this season or give him long enough to have a decent crack at it. He’s still (just) in the 2nd category, but that could change real quick.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Vamos » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:57 am

If Carr was bought in to be the successor as rumoured I'd be concerned we're setting him up for fail by appointing him now or mid season. How many caretakers have been able to impart their gameplan with limited prep and show actual results. And then go on to get the head role at seasons end?
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 451 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:59 am

Agree but if it was good loses to teams considered top 4 candidates and you beat cross town rivals there isn't the media surrounding it that there is right now. The pressure is thrown onto the two weeks ahead ....where at the moment the pressure is all about the 2 previous weeks.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:07 am

Vamos wrote:If Carr was bought in to be the successor as rumoured I'd be concerned we're setting him up for fail by appointing him now or mid season. How many caretakers have been able to impart their gameplan with limited prep and show actual results. And then go on to get the head role at seasons end?

A few but only Roos has won a premiership

Caretakers who got the head role:
Peter Rohde (who) = ?
Rhys Shaw = Disaster
Teague = Terrible
Paul Roos = Massive Success
Neil Craig = Servicable
Primus = Disaster
Mark Harvey = Disaster
Ratten x2 = Knifed once and Disaster the next time round

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-21/ ... /101253378
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby UK Fan » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:11 am

Last edited by UK Fan on Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:13 am

Vamos wrote:If Carr was bought in to be the successor as rumoured I'd be concerned we're setting him up for fail by appointing him now or mid season. How many caretakers have been able to impart their gameplan with limited prep and show actual results. And then go on to get the head role at seasons end?

That's the danger.

Sacking Hinkley at any point during the year, say at the bye when we're 4-8 or something similar and Carr has an impact, wins 6 of the last 11 and they appoint him without a thorough search. If that's their thinking then I agree with staying the course.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:19 am

tigerpie wrote:

He's bloody awful!

I actually don’t mind him, at least he is both critical and praising when he needs to unlike others who disappear during the losses
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:23 am

Armchair expert wrote:

A few but only Roos has won a premiership

Caretakers who got the head role:
Peter Rohde (who) = ?
Rhys Shaw = Disaster
Teague = Terrible
Paul Roos = Massive Success
Neil Craig = Servicable
Primus = Disaster
Mark Harvey = Disaster
Ratten x2 = Knifed once and Disaster the next time round

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-21/ ... /101253378
You don't remember Peter Rohde?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:25 am

Brodlach wrote:
tigerpie wrote:

He's bloody awful!

I actually don’t mind him, at least he is both critical and praising when he needs to unlike others who disappear during the losses

Agree.
Unlike Kane he speaks the truth about his own club.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby MW » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:36 am

The sooner people realise Kane is a paid opinion the better you will be. He will never front when wrong, but always highlight when he is right. It's in the Cornes blood.
Took me a while to stop getting annoyed by him.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:53 am

MW wrote:The sooner people realise Kane is a paid opinion the better you will be. He will never front when wrong, but always highlight when he is right. It's in the Cornes blood.
Took me a while to stop getting annoyed by him.

i have heard Kane admit hes been wrong before.
but yes, he delibertately takes the antagonistic view
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby cracka » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:00 am

Booney wrote:Credit to the winners, too good on the night and the young guns at West Lakes look to have some bright futures ahead of them.

The saddest indictment on this club at the moment is heading into games with either emotional attachment ( Ebert tribute, Showdown ) or reward for effort ( finals ) I as a member and supporter arrive with hope, not with confidence.

The body of work under this coach suggests the game plan breaks down under the weight of expectation and the results reflect that. A game plan that once worked.

It wasn’t without opportunity on Saturday night though yet some worrying trends continue to emerge.

Early in the last term Willem Drew had the opportunity to bring Port within 3 points, missing a sitter from 25m out right in front. In turn Fantasia goaled with his first kick of the game and ( spoiler ) Best on for Port Sam Powell-Pepper had his third for the night and with 10 minutes of the last term gone Port lead by 4 points on the back of some midfield pressure. Four times in the early stages of the last term the midfield created forward entries, Fantasia’s goal from a midfield intercept. Here and now the momentum is sitting with Port Adelaide. The momentum swing in the next 20 minutes reflective of one of the major problems Port currently face, teams getting a run on and we’re not capable of stopping it.

In round 1 Brisbane kicked 6 of 7 goals either side of quarter time, against Collingwood runs of 9 goals early and 6 late in the game, Adelaide posted 4 in the second term and kicked 8 of the last 10. Our ability to stop sides scoring, once our 1 wood through 2020/21 is now a glaring weakness.

Defensively we’re in disarray. Captain Jonas has had a howler of a first month, the game has shifted in the last few years as the third tall becomes more mobile, playing more as a high half forward than resting ruckman in the pocket and Jonas doesn’t have the closing speed he once had, his third man into the contest role is having no impact. McKenzie and Clurey fight out for the lock down big man, Clurey gave Walker a bath Saturday night but with only 3 touches he created no offence from the back and we’re not really sure which one should be in the role from week to week. Byrne-Jones is clinging to his spot, his AA year of 2020 was on the back of dash and dare from the back half, he’s got none of that and can’t hit a target. Aliir is feeling pressure from offensive pressure players and whilst he’s playing his role he too is nowhere near as effective as he was.

Frustratingly the future of that back half, Jake Pasini is yet to be sighted, Jase Burgoyne is the SANFL and Lachie Jones is becoming more and more confused after starting his career in defence, ending last year in attack then spending the summer in the midfield. Don’t under estimate the loss of Burton to suspension, the natural match up for Rankine was missing and he’d be feeling dead set ordinary, a careless tackle cost him two weeks and might have had a difference on Saturday night had he been there.

That 1 wood, the defensive zone, so impenetrable during 2020/21 created multiple forward 50 entries, often frustrated by the continual bombing in time after time Port fans grew tired of that type of entry, but it worked. Nobody won more games in that two year period than Port and it was on the back of those repeat entries. It was often ugly, but it got the job done. 2020, third for inside 50’s, least points against. 2021, fourth for inside 50’s, 4th for points against. It worked.

Now that the zone is breaking down the back half isn’t creating those repeat entries the forward line dries up and the opposition get the run on that we can’t stop.

Selection has me baffled, too.

We can’t play Lycett, Dixon and Finlayson in the one side. With Marshall forward the mix is too top heavy. Marshall, Dixon and Finlayson looks too tall in the front 50, Georgiades offers the mobile third tall ( as mentioned above ) and that looks more balanced, we need to persist with Georgiades as we did with Marshall. It may pay off just as well. It’s Lycett or Finlayson for mine, not both. Jones needs to play back, he can be the player Byrne-Jones used to be and should be in that role. The skipper is under pressure, heir apparent Pasini needs to be exposed at this level and he needs game time. Development of all the talls on our list is now the most pressing in 2023. Hayes, Teakle, Lord, Visentini ( I’m the #1 ticket holder on the Visentini train ), Kyle Marshall, Scully, there’s height galore and one of them, or more, needs to come into the back half to sure up the tall defenders.

Out coached on the night as Nicks threw Dawson into the middle ( why does he not play there every week? ), Sloane when the whips were cracking and Laird killed us on the spread, Adelaide’s small forwards had the pace to out run and the tall, Thilthorpe, had nobody capable of going with him in the air.

I feel sick. Again.

Boon’s best – Powell-Pepper, Dixon, Rozee, Houston.

Watched the replay last night to make sure I wasn't going mad & Alir was definitely playing on Walker for most of the night. Clurey took 1 contested mark against Walker in the 1st quarter when Alir was caught out of position.
Gives a totally different perspective watching TV coverage v live. We were in the southern pocket behind the goal line so couldn't really see which players were doing what when play was at the northern end. After watching the replay I thought top 5 players in no particular order were Rankine, Thilthorpe, Laird, Rozee, Powell-Pepper & mention for O'Brien & Dixon (that guy is huge). Dawson played well but lucky to get the medal imo.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:04 pm

He mentioned the board a lot, I think this is more of his angle - getting onside with teh Port faithful and getting them to vote him in
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:42 pm

cracka wrote:
Booney wrote:Credit to the winners, too good on the night and the young guns at West Lakes look to have some bright futures ahead of them.

The saddest indictment on this club at the moment is heading into games with either emotional attachment ( Ebert tribute, Showdown ) or reward for effort ( finals ) I as a member and supporter arrive with hope, not with confidence.

The body of work under this coach suggests the game plan breaks down under the weight of expectation and the results reflect that. A game plan that once worked.

It wasn’t without opportunity on Saturday night though yet some worrying trends continue to emerge.

Early in the last term Willem Drew had the opportunity to bring Port within 3 points, missing a sitter from 25m out right in front. In turn Fantasia goaled with his first kick of the game and ( spoiler ) Best on for Port Sam Powell-Pepper had his third for the night and with 10 minutes of the last term gone Port lead by 4 points on the back of some midfield pressure. Four times in the early stages of the last term the midfield created forward entries, Fantasia’s goal from a midfield intercept. Here and now the momentum is sitting with Port Adelaide. The momentum swing in the next 20 minutes reflective of one of the major problems Port currently face, teams getting a run on and we’re not capable of stopping it.

In round 1 Brisbane kicked 6 of 7 goals either side of quarter time, against Collingwood runs of 9 goals early and 6 late in the game, Adelaide posted 4 in the second term and kicked 8 of the last 10. Our ability to stop sides scoring, once our 1 wood through 2020/21 is now a glaring weakness.

Defensively we’re in disarray. Captain Jonas has had a howler of a first month, the game has shifted in the last few years as the third tall becomes more mobile, playing more as a high half forward than resting ruckman in the pocket and Jonas doesn’t have the closing speed he once had, his third man into the contest role is having no impact. McKenzie and Clurey fight out for the lock down big man, Clurey gave Walker a bath Saturday night but with only 3 touches he created no offence from the back and we’re not really sure which one should be in the role from week to week. Byrne-Jones is clinging to his spot, his AA year of 2020 was on the back of dash and dare from the back half, he’s got none of that and can’t hit a target. Aliir is feeling pressure from offensive pressure players and whilst he’s playing his role he too is nowhere near as effective as he was.

Frustratingly the future of that back half, Jake Pasini is yet to be sighted, Jase Burgoyne is the SANFL and Lachie Jones is becoming more and more confused after starting his career in defence, ending last year in attack then spending the summer in the midfield. Don’t under estimate the loss of Burton to suspension, the natural match up for Rankine was missing and he’d be feeling dead set ordinary, a careless tackle cost him two weeks and might have had a difference on Saturday night had he been there.

That 1 wood, the defensive zone, so impenetrable during 2020/21 created multiple forward 50 entries, often frustrated by the continual bombing in time after time Port fans grew tired of that type of entry, but it worked. Nobody won more games in that two year period than Port and it was on the back of those repeat entries. It was often ugly, but it got the job done. 2020, third for inside 50’s, least points against. 2021, fourth for inside 50’s, 4th for points against. It worked.

Now that the zone is breaking down the back half isn’t creating those repeat entries the forward line dries up and the opposition get the run on that we can’t stop.

Selection has me baffled, too.

We can’t play Lycett, Dixon and Finlayson in the one side. With Marshall forward the mix is too top heavy. Marshall, Dixon and Finlayson looks too tall in the front 50, Georgiades offers the mobile third tall ( as mentioned above ) and that looks more balanced, we need to persist with Georgiades as we did with Marshall. It may pay off just as well. It’s Lycett or Finlayson for mine, not both. Jones needs to play back, he can be the player Byrne-Jones used to be and should be in that role. The skipper is under pressure, heir apparent Pasini needs to be exposed at this level and he needs game time. Development of all the talls on our list is now the most pressing in 2023. Hayes, Teakle, Lord, Visentini ( I’m the #1 ticket holder on the Visentini train ), Kyle Marshall, Scully, there’s height galore and one of them, or more, needs to come into the back half to sure up the tall defenders.

Out coached on the night as Nicks threw Dawson into the middle ( why does he not play there every week? ), Sloane when the whips were cracking and Laird killed us on the spread, Adelaide’s small forwards had the pace to out run and the tall, Thilthorpe, had nobody capable of going with him in the air.

I feel sick. Again.

Boon’s best – Powell-Pepper, Dixon, Rozee, Houston.

Watched the replay last night to make sure I wasn't going mad & Alir was definitely playing on Walker for most of the night. Clurey took 1 contested mark against Walker in the 1st quarter when Alir was caught out of position.
Gives a totally different perspective watching TV coverage v live. We were in the southern pocket behind the goal line so couldn't really see which players were doing what when play was at the northern end. After watching the replay I thought top 5 players in no particular order were Rankine, Thilthorpe, Laird, Rozee, Powell-Pepper & mention for O'Brien & Dixon (that guy is huge). Dawson played well but lucky to get the medal imo.

I haven't watched the replay, had 17 beers on the night and was going from memory but it's good to know you have critics.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:28 pm

Booney wrote:I had 17 beers on the night.

Underperformed like your team…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:47 pm

Spargo wrote:

Proper pints*
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:47 pm

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Proper pints*

Ouch. That would have tickled in the morning.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL