R2 South v Eagles Friday 2.10

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R2 South v Eagles Friday 2.10

Postby Pseudo » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:01 pm

And now South gets a goal from a free that might not have been there...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby another grub » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:55 pm

Sack Godden
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 448 times
Been liked: 410 times

Postby blueandwhite » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:11 pm

Not a game for the highlight reel at Noarlunga today- a real game of the defences and it boiled down to who made the most of their opportunities. Thankfully, for a welcome change South were more accurate after giving "the combine" a 3 goal start.
brooksby was in control in the ruck from the start but the eagles mids seemed to take advantage- that changed in the second quarter and I felt South after gaining the lead were always on top. However the eagles fought back late in the game and threatened to snatch a win.
Loved Elis Smiths second half and I thought Skinner and Clavarino were very good in defence.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby saintal » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:22 pm

Good summary B+W. Nice to win for a change with less scoring shots than the opposition. Any win against WWT is an enjoyable win, even when the match doesn't reach any particular heights.

Skinner, Brooksby, Clavarino, O'Neill and Rose named as the club's best. The recruits have settled in well over the first fortnight and played important roles, in particular alliterate trio Skinner, Sproule and Smith.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Aerie » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:09 am

South’s 5 straight goals to finish the 2nd quarter and ability to bottle the game up on the far side in the 3rd quarter handed them the win. Eagles did well early and finished well, but South too good. With Thompson off after half time, it was a very inexperienced spine. The Eagles didn’t adapt well to the windy conditions. It was a tough game which South were able to control from 10 minutes into the 2nd quarter and never looked like letting go. Being 2 goals up going into time on of the last - South peppered the goals, but shot 3 or 4 shots in a row out of bounds. The Eagles took the ball the length of the field to present Rowe a chance 25m straight in front, but his snap hit the post and what could’ve been an exciting last minute was instead another wasted opportunity - the story of the Eagles day.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby MJP1993 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:48 am

Aerie wrote:South’s 5 straight goals to finish the 2nd quarter and ability to bottle the game up on the far side in the 3rd quarter handed them the win. Eagles did well early and finished well, but South too good. With Thompson off after half time, it was a very inexperienced spine. The Eagles didn’t adapt well to the windy conditions. It was a tough game which South were able to control from 10 minutes into the 2nd quarter and never looked like letting go. Being 2 goals up going into time on of the last - South peppered the goals, but shot 3 or 4 shots in a row out of bounds. The Eagles took the ball the length of the field to present Rowe a chance 25m straight in front, but his snap hit the post and what could’ve been an exciting last minute was instead another wasted opportunity - the story of the Eagles day.

Correct Aerie and losing Macfarlane to a knee injury during the game didn’t help the eagles either
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby DOC » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:40 am

McFarlane looked in agony (right in front of me). No doubt a serious knee injury. Happened in a tackle.

Thompson looked to have a fractured cheekbone (did not see it happen).

Joe Haines was concussed but was okay after the game, Can and often does present issues later.

If you had have told me before the game that Rowe would have 30 possessions I would have said we could not win. Has kicked a lot against us for both WWT and Adelaide.

Mitch Hardie was I thought best on ground.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:52 am

South's height is going to trouble a lot of sides this season. And coming up against the shortest team in the competition presented a huge advantage for them.

So the challenge for the Eagles was to ensure that our little blokes in the midfield and off half-back provided plenty of quick, forward drive which we did for the first quarter. But then to their credit South were able to bottle up the play, slow things down play the games on their terms. Skinner dominating down back taking countless marks from the Eagles bombing it forward. Sproule up forward always looking dangerous. And of course Brooksby dominating across the entire day.

Eagles' shocking kicking meant we were only a handful of goals up at quarter time despite being well on top in the first. Definitely a case of 'what if' since it meant South were always a lurking threat to come back into the game which they did.

Injuries during the game certainly did not help but are not an excuse - South the better team for the majority of the game.

Still, I felt the teams were reasonably evenly matched and I have every confidence that later on in the season Eagles can reverse the result.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby wedgetail » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:38 pm

Deserved win by South, better team on the day. Lack of height killed us and unbalanced the side with Ballenden having to do much of the ruck work rather than being at CHF as a target. Thought we might get blown away after half time so it was good to see us stick it out. Need some quality back in the side to challenge the bays.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:55 pm

DOC wrote:McFarlane looked in agony (right in front of me). No doubt a serious knee injury. Happened in a tackle.

Thompson looked to have a fractured cheekbone (did not see it happen).

Joe Haines was concussed but was okay after the game, Can and often does present issues later.

If you had have told me before the game that Rowe would have 30 possessions I would have said we could not win. Has kicked a lot against us for both WWT and Adelaide.

Mitch Hardie was I thought best on ground.

Will Pearce gets 3 down to 2 if accepted. Lucky.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby goddy11 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:35 pm

Will Pearce gone for 2 games.
Tough decision imho. Fair but the Port Player getting $125 fine for what appears a similar hit from the video.

Woodville-West Torrens’ Will Pearce has accepted a two-match ban with an early guilty plea for engaging in rough conduct with South’s Joseph Haines at Flinders University Stadium on Friday.
Will Pearce (Eagles) – Rough Conduct (High Bump)
Conduct: Careless
Impact: High
Base Sanction: 3 matches
Early Guilty Plea: 2 matches (Accepted)

meanwhile

Port Adelaide’s Dante Visentini has accepted a $125 fine and reprimand for making forceful front-on contact with Glenelg’s Lachie Hosie at Stratarama Stadium on Friday.
Dante Visentini (Port) – Forceful front-on contact
Conduct: Careless
Impact: Low
Base Sanction: 1 match
Early Guilty Plea: $125 fine and reprimand (Accepted)

https://sanfl.com.au/league/news/round- ... w-panel-5/
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL