GATHER ROUND - ROUND 5

Talk on the national game

Re: GATHER ROUND - ROUND 5

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:54 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Vamos wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:You know it’s not your night when Ben Keays is kicking goals

He kicked 3 in the corresponding game last year. We really do go about making the Crows look like superstars.

Nah, they exposed you for the crud side you are, credit where it's due. Walsh dusting off the cobwebs was your only positive.

The Crows seriously, are not any better than us. We made them look like superstars last year and we did again. We were outcoached and outplayed again tonight.

I was just reading a stat, that at Adelaide Oval before tonight, we had a % of 45.66 with 4 100pt defeats in 6 games. We just do not play well here.

Vamos is right, Carlton and Voss were exposed badly

Slow midfield that doesn't work both ways resulting in this horrendous slow game plan where Curnow and McKay get the ball kicked on their head time after time. Skills are poor, no Dawson like kick to hit that inside kick to open the forwardline up. Faster forward entries would help guys like Durdin and Motlop get into the game. Paddy Dow must play next week! He is only average but has leg speed.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1434 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:02 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:Strathmore Hotel are offering $8.50 Imperial Pints of Carlton Draught to Essendon Members.

Where do I sign up?

I will go out on a limb and say on their website.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby OnSong » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:04 pm

Can Jordan Dawson win the Brownlow? Into $18 Sportsbet, $26 Pointsbet. Gone to another level.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:12 pm

Reading this it will be here for the foreseeable future.

McLachlan revealed to 3AW on Friday morning that the initial plan was to hold Gather Round in different parts of the country.

But after an incredible build-up and electric opening to the nine-game weekend, McLachlan suggested it would be tough to move the round away from Adelaide.

“If I’m direct, we anticipated moving it next year if it worked … but Adelaide just feels the right spot,” McLachlan told 3AW.

“One of the things that I guess we hadn’t contemplated – we knew about the city and the Adelaide Oval and the suburban venues and the accessibility – but the fact it’s in the middle of Australia and people can drive from Melbourne, you can get here from Perth pretty easily – there’s so many Western Australians here and people from everywhere – that’s an asset as well.

“I think there’s a pretty strong case to support that probably it’s got its roots down here and needs to be here for a while.”

The AFL on Friday morning announced all nine games had been sold out, with the last remaining tickets to the Swans-Tigers clash snapped up overnight.
DOC
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:15 pm

Good effort to have all games sold out.

Might get more to the Sydney v Richmond game than they would have in Sydney
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:17 pm

When was the last time (if ever) port dropped their captain?
DOC
Coach

Postby Vamos » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:42 pm

DOC wrote:Reading this it will be here for the foreseeable future.

McLachlan revealed to 3AW on Friday morning that the initial plan was to hold Gather Round in different parts of the country.

But after an incredible build-up and electric opening to the nine-game weekend, McLachlan suggested it would be tough to move the round away from Adelaide.

“If I’m direct, we anticipated moving it next year if it worked … but Adelaide just feels the right spot,” McLachlan told 3AW.

“One of the things that I guess we hadn’t contemplated – we knew about the city and the Adelaide Oval and the suburban venues and the accessibility – but the fact it’s in the middle of Australia and people can drive from Melbourne, you can get here from Perth pretty easily – there’s so many Western Australians here and people from everywhere – that’s an asset as well.

“I think there’s a pretty strong case to support that probably it’s got its roots down here and needs to be here for a while.”

The AFL on Friday morning announced all nine games had been sold out, with the last remaining tickets to the Swans-Tigers clash snapped up overnight.

If that was to eventuate I reckon it would be worth investing in a game down Victor and up in the Barossa. Lincoln would be good but a little far away for fans.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 468 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby heater31 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:15 pm

Vamos wrote:

If that was to eventuate I reckon it would be worth investing in a game down Victor and up in the Barossa. Lincoln would be good but a little far away for fans.
Port Lincoln won't have a suitable ground shortly if local news reports are to be believed.

Can't find a curator for the turf cricket pitch at Centenary Oval. If the don't find one by September they are going to rip it up at put a concrete one in. AFL ain't going to like that!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby OnSong » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:40 pm

heater31 wrote:
Vamos wrote:

Port Lincoln won't have a suitable ground shortly if local news reports are to be believed.

Can't find a curator for the turf cricket pitch at Centenary Oval. If the don't find one by September they are going to rip it up at put a concrete one in. AFL ain't going to like that!

Surely in a town that size there's someone who will do it.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:52 pm

None of the games should be outside of Adelaide.
DOC
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:21 pm

DOC wrote:When was the last time (if ever) port dropped their captain?

injured *cough*
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:23 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
DOC wrote:When was the last time (if ever) port dropped their captain?

injured *cough*

Rested!
They don’t even pretend now
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:25 pm

My Gather Round Double Header Friday Forecast -

* Lukosius nails a goal from inside the centre square
* The boundary fence signage is annoying
* Only 2 players hit the wall, literally
* Serong has leather poisoning
* I wonder if we will get scoreboard photos
* Freo get a much needed win by 20pts
* Attendance 9,584

* Richmond have a large banner
* Bolton takes a mark of the year contender
* The rain changes the contest
* Papley is still a tosser
* The Sawns shake down the thunder by 17pts
* Attendance 34,567
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:29 pm

On my way to Norwood Oval to see Gold Coast v Fremantle. That's something I never thought I'd be saying! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:50 pm

Wedgie wrote:On my way to Norwood Oval to see Gold Coast v Fremantle. That's something I never thought I'd be saying! :lol:

Go the Redlegs.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:55 pm

They've closed the Parade down and there's a 100m line for the game 40 mins before the gates open.
Went to the pub and it's packed, Suns fans inside, Freo fans outside.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Trader » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:06 pm

Brodlach wrote:Good effort to have all games sold out.

Might get more to the Sydney v Richmond game than they would have in Sydney

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Crows a sell out last night but 6k seats left empty.

Apparently some people got access to all 9 games for $70 as a weekend super-pass, so I recon a lot of those seats will be empty tonight.

Fingers crossed it can keep up the momentum and tonight/tomorrow's weather doesn't kill the numbers and Gil has a second thought about next year.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:07 pm

Wedgie wrote:They've closed the Parade down and there's a 100m line for the game 40 mins before the gates open.
Went to the pub and it's packed, Suns fan inside, Freo fan outside.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:16 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:They've closed the Parade down and there's a 100m line for the game 40 mins before the gates open.
Went to the pub and it's packed, Suns fan inside, Freo fan outside.

Wrong Booney, it's packed with fans of both inside and out the Norwood Hotel. A few neutrals too.
A bus or two from each direction plus those who flew
I haven't seen this many footy fans at the Parade since the 80s.
Freo fans have been everywhere all week
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:26 pm

Crazy here, line is about 500m plus now.
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL