SANFL 2023 season

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2023 season

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:02 pm

whufc wrote:I know im talking a much smaller scale but many on here including myself have said for years now that the SANFL should try a 'round 1' quadruple header at AO to start the season and generate buzz for the comp.

This kind of 'event' should be on the SANFL agenda with the success of the AFL's Gather Round and demand for 'carnival of football' event.

They've missed a trick as usual.

Who other than the people who would have gone anyway would be attracted by this?
Not sure it will entice too many who wouldn’t have gone anyway.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:14 pm

I can only talk from my point of view regionally. If it didn’t clash with our local games we would love it

We all support different teams and having the opportunity to head to Adelaide and watch all our teams play in the one location / one day would see us flock down there for sure. At our club we have players from our club/ league currently spread out over North, Eagles and Centrals.

Compare that to a normal round when our comp isn’t going we aren’t going to have a couple head off to Woodville, another few go to Elizabeth, a couple more to prospect.

Surely there would be similar scenarios around ammo clubs etc

Could be wrong but iirc the old double headers would attract more than what the two games individually would have saw.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:33 pm

No offence WHUFC, but I think its a shocking idea.
I've been to Prospect and Elizabeth already this year but doubt I'd go to that.
Would rather watch Freo v GC at Norwood. Hang on....
Anyway, thankfully would never happen so not even worth debating about.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:57 pm

whufc wrote:I can only talk from my point of view regionally. If it didn’t clash with our local games we would love it

We all support different teams and having the opportunity to head to Adelaide and watch all our teams play in the one location / one day would see us flock down there for sure. At our club we have players from our club/ league currently spread out over North, Eagles and Centrals.

Compare that to a normal round when our comp isn’t going we aren’t going to have a couple head off to Woodville, another few go to Elizabeth, a couple more to prospect.

Could be wrong but iirc the old double headers would attract more than what the two games individually would have saw.

I'm not sure that even works for 1st and 2nd Semi finals.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby saintal » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:08 pm

Double headers at Adelaide Oval kicked off the 2020 season over the first two rounds. Between 3500-3900 attended the fixtures, pretty modest albeit during a period when covid paranoia was high.

You'd attract a few sanfl die hards who like the idea of doubling up and watching more than 1 game, but it doesn't have the shiny allure of an "event" like the afl does to get the casual followers along.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby southernbulldog » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:22 pm

No SANFL team posters in The Advertiser this year .
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:26 pm

southernbulldog wrote:No SANFL team posters in The Advertiser this year .

We get team posters as part of our membership if we want them, I thought other clubs would do the same?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whybother » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:26 pm

Im pretty sure I saw Crows & Power SANFL team posters, and no others.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby southernbulldog » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:52 pm

That would be typical of The Advertiser
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby DOC » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:02 pm

If only it was right.

They were AFL posters.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby Vamos » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:31 pm

DOC wrote:If only it was right.

They were AFL posters.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a potential whinge, eh!
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby whybother » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:18 am

Pity I dont keep back issues of the Advertiser so I could check. Old issues make good puppy pee pads.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby stampy » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:35 am

gadj1976 wrote:
whufc wrote:I can only talk from my point of view regionally. If it didn’t clash with our local games we would love it

I'm not sure that even works for 1st and 2nd Semi finals.

i know the majority dont like the idea but i rkn say a north norwood mnor final at either prossie or the parade under lights would attract 8k plus
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby topshelf » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:57 pm

whufc wrote:I know im talking a much smaller scale but many on here including myself have said for years now that the SANFL should try a 'round 1' quadruple header at AO to start the season and generate buzz for the comp.

This kind of 'event' should be on the SANFL agenda with the success of the AFL's Gather Round and demand for 'carnival of football' event.

I agree, throw a heap of free tickets out there like they did this weekend and really sell it as an event that happens once a year. Could be worth a shot. I personally love it when we play at Adelaide Oval.
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby whufc » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:15 pm

topshelf wrote:

I agree, throw a heap of free tickets out there like they did this weekend and really sell it as an event that happens once a year. Could be worth a shot. I personally love it when we play at Adelaide Oval.

Yeah I reckon a round 1 free event would be great
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Hazydog » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:53 pm

So now the dust is settling on Gather Round, I'd be interested in knowing what tangible benefits to each SANFL club were. Seems like all of them had AFL clubs training/conducting clinics at some point. Were these well attended and did they generate any additional revenue for the clubs?
Also - given we will have 3 more years of it at least, and assuming the Parade gets another couple of games each year, does that favour them financially? (Genuine question - I dont know if they benefited at all financially or whether the coffers went to the AFL/SANFL only?)
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:25 pm

Hazydog wrote:So now the dust is settling on Gather Round, I'd be interested in knowing what tangible benefits to each SANFL club were. Seems like all of them had AFL clubs training/conducting clinics at some point. Were these well attended and did they generate any additional revenue for the clubs?
Also - given we will have 3 more years of it at least, and assuming the Parade gets another couple of games each year, does that favour them financially? (Genuine question - I dont know if they benefited at all financially or whether the coffers went to the AFL/SANFL only?)

Hard to know exact numbers but Unley had approx 2k for the Carlton session. I suggest they would've sold a fair bit through the canteen as we had to wait an hour for them to hit the playing surface.

I can't speak for the Collingwood session at Unley though.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Brucetiki » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:42 pm

Hazydog wrote:So now the dust is settling on Gather Round, I'd be interested in knowing what tangible benefits to each SANFL club were. Seems like all of them had AFL clubs training/conducting clinics at some point. Were these well attended and did they generate any additional revenue for the clubs?

From what I gather (no pun intended), looks like many of the training sessions were well attended - apparently something like 5,000 rocked up at Glenelg for Richmond's training session.

I'd hope other SANFL grounds would get the chance to host Gather Round games. Given the feedback about double headers, perhaps play more games at suburban/regional grounds, so that by the end of the 3 year deal, every SANFL ground (and the odd regional ground) has been able to host a game (and the associated upgrades that come with it).
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 34 times

Postby Brucetiki » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:43 pm

DOC wrote:Can you think of four clubs that are happy to give up a home game?

Can you get the SMA onside to play four games there the same weekend as an AFL game?

Could we just add a round to the season so no club loses a home game?
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:46 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
am Bays wrote:Pleasing to get an email today stating that as a SANFLNow subscriber I get a free electronic version of the Budget each week.

Thanks SANFL!

Agreed, but I haven't been able to work out how to access it.

I noticed this after I had already paid for a digital Budget subscription. Upon querying this, the SANFL were more than happy to refund me, and it was all sorted in under a business day.

You access it via Issuu, so you need to set up an Issuu subscription (if you subscribed to the trial of the digital editions in 2020, it's the same login details, though unfortunately the app is no longer available). Easiest way to do this is click on the link the SANFL provide every week to access the current edition.
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL