SANFL 2023 season

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2023 season

Postby Pseudo » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:53 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
DOC wrote:Can you think of four clubs that are happy to give up a home game?

Can you get the SMA onside to play four games there the same weekend as an AFL game?

Could we just add a round to the season so no club loses a home game?

^ this. One extra "neutral" round in which each of the 8 clubs plays one of the others at AO (or other neutral ground).

If those other 2 teams require an extra match then they can play among themselves.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:02 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:
Could we just add a round to the season so no club loses a home game?

^ this. One extra "neutral" round in which each of the 8 clubs plays one of the others at AO (or other neutral ground).

If those other 2 teams require an extra match then they can play with themselves.

EFA ;)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Columbo » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:03 pm

Hazydog wrote:So now the dust is settling on Gather Round, I'd be interested in knowing what tangible benefits to each SANFL club were. Seems like all of them had AFL clubs training/conducting clinics at some point. Were these well attended and did they generate any additional revenue for the clubs?
Also - given we will have 3 more years of it at least, and assuming the Parade gets another couple of games each year, does that favour them financially? (Genuine question - I dont know if they benefited at all financially or whether the coffers went to the AFL/SANFL only?)

Good crowd of Geelong fans at Woodville on Saturday morning, around 1000 possibly give or take but hard to judge.
About 100 odd Eagles members and Geelong faithful upstairs for an hour long Q & A session afterwards with Stephen Hocking, Nigel Lappin, Esava Ratugolea and Tyson Stengle.
Trust the process.
Columbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby JK » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:21 pm

Hazydog wrote:So now the dust is settling on Gather Round, I'd be interested in knowing what tangible benefits to each SANFL club were. Seems like all of them had AFL clubs training/conducting clinics at some point. Were these well attended and did they generate any additional revenue for the clubs?
Also - given we will have 3 more years of it at least, and assuming the Parade gets another couple of games each year, does that favour them financially? (Genuine question - I dont know if they benefited at all financially or whether the coffers went to the AFL/SANFL only?)

From a Norwood perspective, my understanding is our benefits were any investments to Oval/stadium infrastructure funded by either AFL or Council (I think there was some lighting and stall (beverage and canteen) upgrades, aswell a s the players race/dugout) and we took the canteen profits. The other intangible benefit I guess was exposure of ground and club.

Been a great experience for us as a club and I hope we get to remain involved, but also would like to see all clubs if possible gain some benefit from
It in future.

EDIT: oh, and any club merchandise we were able to sell over the four days.

EDIT (2): Apparently no food and beverage revenue came our way inside the ground. So upgrades and exposure were the two main benefits.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:34 pm

Columbo wrote:

Good crowd of Geelong fans at Woodville on Saturday morning, around 1000 possibly give or take but hard to judge.
About 100 odd Eagles members and Geelong faithful upstairs for an hour long Q & A session afterwards with Stephen Hocking, Nigel Lappin, Esava Ratugolea and Tyson Stengle.

Very apt description of Eagles members ;)
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Hazydog » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:09 pm

Thanks for the explanation JK - and to others who commented. Sounds like the SANFL clubs would be reasonably happy with the interest the clinics and captains runs generated
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:05 pm

JK wrote:

From a Norwood perspective, my understanding is our benefits were any investments to Oval/stadium infrastructure funded by either AFL or Council (I think there was some lighting and stall (beverage and canteen) upgrades, aswell a s the players race/dugout) and we took the canteen profits. The other intangible benefit I guess was exposure of ground and club.

Been a great experience for us as a club and I hope we get to remain involved, but also would like to see all clubs if possible gain some benefit from
It in future.

EDIT (2): Apparently no food and beverage revenue came our way inside the ground. So upgrades and exposure were the two main benefits.

+ coaches boxes upgrades
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby JK » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:59 am

Dutchy wrote:
JK wrote:

It in future.

+ coaches boxes upgrades

Yes had forgotten about that, upgrades to the media/commentary facilities too I think.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:19 pm

Re the mid season draft from AFL Zero Hanger:

A state league clause has been included for this year's Mid-Season Draft.

AFL confirms date for 2023 Mid-Season Draft, prospect eligibility
Details for this year’s mid-season intake have been revealed.

The AFL has confirmed the 2023 AFL Mid-Season Draft will take place on Wednesday, May 31 between Rounds 11 and 12 of the home and away season.

The MSD order will be the reserve standings of the AFL ladder at the conclusion of Round 11, with the 18th-placed club to open the count should they have an available list spot.

Six clubs currently have available list spots, with Geelong, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond, Fremantle and the Western Bulldogs all holding one vacancy.

AFL clubs are able to open rookie list spots by moving a player who has sustained a year-long injury to their inactive list. Clubs can also replace players who have retired with a Mid-Season Draft selection.

Clubs will have until Tuesday, May 30 to open list spots.

The league has confirmed eligibility for players wishing to nominate for the MSD, with two key pieces of criteria laid out:

Player must have nominated for the most recent National Draft.
A player who nominated for the most recent National Draft but was not selected during the draft, and who committed for a further year as a 19-year-old Northern or NGA Academy Player is available to all clubs should they nominate for the MSRD.
Player who has previously been on the list of an AFL club (and are therefore not required to have nominated for the most recent National Draft). This refers to the following situations:
Delisted player. A player delisted by a club cannot be reselected in the MSRD by the same club in the period immediately following their delisting unless they nominated for the most recent draft.
A retired player and/or a player who has delisted himself and has not been on an AFL list for one year or more.
The AFL has also confirmed adjustments to state league participation for players who are recruited out of state league competitions for the Mid-Season Draft.

Players that are drafted to AFL teams from state league clubs are subject to the following:

They will not be permitted to play against their original club unless otherwise agreed by all parties.
The player has the right to return to their original club to participate in finals if their service is no longer required at their AFL club.
The 2023 AFL Mid-Season Draft will take place remotely from the league's AFL Review Centre.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2049 times
Been liked: 3891 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby another grub » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:28 pm

North Adelaide
Sturt
Glenelg
Adelaide Crows Reserves
South Adelaide
Woodville-West Torrens
Central Districts
Norwood
West Adelaide
Port Adelaide Magpies
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 420 times

Postby another grub » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:28 pm

CD shorter than NW
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 420 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:26 pm

SANFL have announced the first three rounds have recorded the best attendance figures since 2017.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 448 times
Been liked: 1213 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:59 pm

What a courageous thing to do by Matthew Nunn, I wish him all the best.
Jacob Kennerley has been elevated to the position of co-captain within the Norwood Football Club, and will lead the SANFL team alongside 2022 Premiership captain Matthew Nunn.

Nunn and Kennerley will lead the side as co-captains for the remainder of the 2023 season, a move that has been endorsed by Nunn, the leadership group, coaching group and senior management.

Nunn has captained the side since the start of the 2020 season, but expressed his interest in sharing the leadership role with Kennerley due to personal reasons external to the football club.

Nunn said his ongoing battles with his mental wellbeing had elevated in recent months, and believed that it was important to reach out to the coaching and leadership group to gain further assistance in the captaincy role.

“I have been battling some ongoing mental wellness for the past 6-12 months which has started to impact on my captaincy,” he said.

“It is important for people to know what’s happening with this decision. I want people to feel like they can speak up when they are having their own struggles with mental health.

“I am very keen to be able to lean on Jacob, share some of the load and decisions with him, it will be incredibly beneficial for me, the playing group and the club.

“It’s a tough decision – I am into my third year as captain and I know what it takes to be a good captain, and when it’s time to put your hand up for help.”

Kennerley was integral to Norwood’s leadership during the 2022 Premiership season, stepping up into the captain role for an extended period when Nunn was sidelined through injury.

“Jacob is a great young leader – he does the right things and leads from example, we get along so well,” Nunn said.

“He stepped up last year when we really needed him, he has such a level head and I am really proud of how he goes about it.

“This is a really positive move for the club.”

22-year-old Kennerley said he was excited to step into the role.

“It’s an honour to take on this role,” he said.

“Ever since coming back to the club in 2021 this is something that I have aspired to do and I am more than up for it.

“I am very appreciative of the Board, CEO James Fantasia, Twig (coach Jade Rawlings), and Nunny for backing me in to take up the role.

“I got the chance to captain the side last year for several rounds while Nunny was injured and I loved it, I feel like I led strongly and I played better footy in the role – I have confidence coming into the role now.”

Norwood’s 2023 leadership group includes Nunn and Kennerley as co-captains, Matthew Panos, Harry Boyd, Declan Hamilton, Matthew Rokahr and Jack Heard.

Norwood coach Jade Rawlings was proud of Nunn for coming forward to express his desire for further assistance in captaincy.

“We utilised the time between Rounds 2 and 3 to assess everything within our football program, this included leadership,” Rawlings said.

“After ongoing discussions between Nunny and myself we looked at the opportunity to adjust the leadership model to help support Matt.

“Co-captaincy was something that we discussed and believed would be a really positive move for the playing group.

“Jacob is a worthy co-captain of the Norwood Football Club – he has shown enormous growth in leadership across his three seasons since returning to Norwood from Geelong.”
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2049 times
Been liked: 3891 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:09 pm

As do I.

At the end of the day he has to consider his own needs.

These blokes juggle many commitments and there is a huge demand on them time wise and even more so as Captain.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby twosheds » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:11 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:SANFL have announced the first three rounds have recorded the best attendance figures since 2017.

Just imagine what they would be if "Chapmans 4,000" eventually found their way to a game :roll:
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby mal » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:59 pm

3 Teams in the SANFL /AFL didnt play at their traditional home grounds on the weekend

West Adelaide v Port Adelaide at Loxton
South Adelaide v Adelaide Reserves at Adelaide Oval
Richmond v Gold Coast at Marvel

All 3 teams lost, and perhaps the losses could cost them a finals position at the end of the season

Why did WA and not PA give up a home game[ or will it alternate season to season ]

South gave up a home ground to play at Adelaide's defacto home ground, so why ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1154 times
Been liked: 908 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon May 01, 2023 8:35 am

I reckon Loxton is in West's country zone. Maybe they lose a home advantage by playing there, but they might gain off-field for having a presence in their zone. Perhaps the other 7 clubs should think about one match per year in their catchment areas. Easier for some than for others, I know.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon May 01, 2023 10:34 am

mal wrote:3 Teams in the SANFL /AFL didnt play at their traditional home grounds on the weekend

West Adelaide v Port Adelaide at Loxton
South Adelaide v Adelaide Reserves at Adelaide Oval
Richmond v Gold Coast at Marvel

All 3 teams lost, and perhaps the losses could cost them a finals position at the end of the season

Why did WA and not PA give up a home game[ or will it alternate season to season ]

South gave up a home ground to play at Adelaide's defacto home ground, so why ?

And I think West play Norwood in 2 weeks from now in Port Lincoln.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Spargo » Mon May 01, 2023 10:44 am

Attachments
IMG_6699.jpeg
IMG_6699.jpeg (109.64 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5483 times
Been liked: 5122 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon May 01, 2023 10:54 am

Spargo wrote:.

And we've beaten North & The Crows & only just lost to Sturt!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL