Ashes 2023

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes 2023

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:15 pm

shoe boy wrote:With the bowlers Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins consistently injured would Morris feel unlucky?

He is injured also

"Australia's plans to unleash 'wild thing' fast bowler Lance Morris were scuppered with the Western Australian suffering a back injury upon his return from the Test tour of India,"
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:23 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:World Test Championship Final and Men's Ashes squad: Pat Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Todd Murphy, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith (vc), Mitchell Starc, David Warner

How in the hell did the 3 i have put in bold make the squad? Some serious c#@k sucking going on here. I actually hope we get flogged by the poms to bring our overinflated egos back down to earth and hold some of these selectors accountable for piss poor selections.

Marsh is cover for Head/Green and he can play Bazball if required. He did take 7 wickets in the 5th test late series over there.

Someone has to partner Usman, Bancroft is blacklisted for life, who would you select instead?
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:35 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
shoe boy wrote:With the bowlers Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins consistently injured would Morris feel unlucky?

He is injured also

"Australia's plans to unleash 'wild thing' fast bowler Lance Morris were scuppered with the Western Australian suffering a back injury upon his return from the Test tour of India,"
Shoe Boy obviously didn't read the article. :)
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:36 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:World Test Championship Final and Men's Ashes squad: Pat Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Todd Murphy, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith (vc), Mitchell Starc, David Warner

How in the hell did the 3 i have put in bold make the squad? Some serious c#@k sucking going on here. I actually hope we get flogged by the poms to bring our overinflated egos back down to earth and hold some of these selectors accountable for piss poor selections.
What would your squad be? If you didn't select Warner or Harris who do you pick? Bancroft? Renshaw?

I wouldn't be too worried about guys such as Bancroft and Handscomb missing this intial squad because they're already in England playing anyway and are a chance of coming in IMO.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:46 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:

Marsh is cover for Head/Green and he can play Bazball if required. He did take 7 wickets in the 5th test late series over there.

Someone has to partner Usman, Bancroft is blacklisted for life, who would you select instead?

Why is Bancroft blacklisted and Steve Smith and Flog are still allowed to play? Bancroft is leading the runs in the Sheffield Shield format isn't he? I'm sure there are players we could give a opportunity to instead of Harris and Warner. Head or Renshaw can open with Khawaja and then we look to see who can fill in 5th spot.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:46 pm

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
whufc wrote:[quote="The Dark Knight"]County wrap: How the Aussies fared in the second round-

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/county- ... 2023-04-17

Love these updates.

Chris Tremain one to watch and my Ashes darkhorse (albeit i don't think he will make the squad but if there is a darkhorse i reckon its him)

Agree these are good. Thanks for taking the time TDK.

Could be worthy of its own thread?

No worries CM, I think they're relevant to this topic so I'll just share them in here. Obviously the CA journos are keeping an eye on the county season more than usual and keeping track of all the Aussies form leading into the Ashes.

Whufc, I did read that Tremain was only available for a three match stint for Northamptonshire so that might suggest he won't stay in England for long?

Ok fair enough. A bit like Boland, Tremain has played a fair bit of cricket on the flat MCG and then went to NSW which is equally unfavorable for the quicks. Seems his developed consistent line and lengths, arguably the greatest attribute to have on the english wickets with a little bit of movement generally around.[/quote]Yeah agree with you about Tremain, he was outstanding for Victoria when he was there. He's other quick that's been very good at state level and with the big three in front of him in the pecking order throughout his career he's never had a big opportunity to get into the Australian set up.
I think Abbott is in a similar boat and he might actually be in the right place at the right time if injuries eventuate as he is currently playing for Surrey. Neser the same potentially.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby RB » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:54 pm

I'd have Bancroft slightly ahead of Harris but I see neither as test quality.

Ideally Renshaw would make loads of runs in tour matches and force his way in, but, well, there are no tour matches.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:21 pm

Not overly surprised by the 17 named.

If they win the WTC, and go ok in the first 2 tests, then selections justified.

If they loose the WTC, and perform poorly in the first 2 tests, then selectors, along with the under performers should all go.

They know the bull/pig will dish dirt on CA in a tell all book (written in orange crayon) when he is done. Rip the band aid off now.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:40 pm

The absolute certainty with which Dave Warner pretty much came out and told the world when he would be retiring was enough to know that he has a free pass. Then the fact he has a 'start when you like' contract with Foxtel despite many of the current star players futures coming to an end and being potential media personalities tells everything you need to know. CA treat the general public as idiots.

Like usual though cricket admin won't rip the bandage because:

-1 they will have to damage control the crisis.
-2 most of the admin and potentially some current players will immediately have their careers cut. short.

By the time Warner reveals all, the current staff and players will have all sailed into the sunset with very healthy bank accounts.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby locky801 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:08 pm

whufc wrote:The absolute certainty with which Dave Warner pretty much came out and told the world when he would be retiring was enough to know that he has a free pass. Then the fact he has a 'start when you like' contract with Foxtel despite many of the current star players futures coming to an end and being potential media personalities tells everything you need to know. CA treat the general public as idiots.

-2 most of the admin and potentially some current players will immediately have their careers cut. short.

By the time Warner reveals all, the current staff and players will have all sailed into the sunset with very healthy bank accounts.

Davey will go when Candice says Davey can go, ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:00 am

heater31 wrote:
Morris himself is injured....stress fracture in the back!

Ahhh damn.
I was hoping he'd get a gig.
Big unit and he does bend his back....
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:06 am

I saw an ad today “that the only place you can watch it is Channel 9.”

Disappointing it’s not on Foxtel
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:16 am

locky801 wrote:
whufc wrote:The absolute certainty with which Dave Warner pretty much came out and told the world when he would be retiring was enough to know that he has a free pass. Then the fact he has a 'start when you like' contract with Foxtel despite many of the current star players futures coming to an end and being potential media personalities tells everything you need to know. CA treat the general public as idiots.

Davey will go when Candice says Davey can go, ;)

Was so cringe watching that sports kayo show which Candice is on defending Dave position in the team. She simply couldn't understand how it could ever have been in doubt, she couldnt even admit that he is somewhat out of form.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby shoe boy » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:30 am

By the time Warner reveals all, the current staff and players will have all sailed into the sunset with very healthy bank accounts.[/quote]

What would Warner reveal?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:49 am

shoe boy wrote:Like usual though cricket admin won't rip the bandage because:

What would Warner reveal?[/quote]

Who was actually involved and who knew about it.
Did CA know and turn a blind eye?
Did the coach know?
What part did Smith actually play?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:54 am

What would Warner reveal?[/quote]

Did the coach know?
What part did Smith actually play?[/quote]

Do you believe CA would know the side or players cheated and where aware?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:00 pm

Who was actually involved and who knew about it. We already know.
Did CA know and turn a blind eye? Of course not.
Did the coach know? Probably?
What part did Smith actually play
? As skipper it doesn't matter. He wore it whether he knew or not.

Warner has made enough money out of cricket so writing a tell all book about it and throwing mates under the bus is just not classy.
It happened....move on.
Send him over, give him 2 tests and if he fails then drop him.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:02 pm

tigerpie wrote:Who was actually involved and who knew about it. We already know.
Did CA know and turn a blind eye? Of course not.
Did the coach know? Probably?
What part did Smith actually play
? As skipper it doesn't matter. He wore it whether he knew or not.

Warner has made enough money out of cricket so writing a tell all book about it and throwing mates under the bus is just not classy.
It happened....move on.
Send him over, give him 2 tests and if he fails then drop him.

C’mon mate do you really think we know all?
I’m sure there’s plenty more to tell
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:03 pm

shoe boy wrote:What would Warner reveal?

Did the coach know?
What part did Smith actually play?[/quote]

Do you believe CA would know the side or players cheated and where aware?[/quote]

I don’t know but Davey does………….
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Trader » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:06 pm

shoe boy wrote:
shoe boy wrote:What would Warner reveal?

Did the coach know?
What part did Smith actually play?

Do you believe CA would know the side or players cheated and where aware?

I do.
I strongly believe 'higher ups' not only knew it was happening, but directed the players to do what needed to be done to get the win.
Sure, the decision to use sandpaper that fateful day might have been a split second decision by Davey and Bancroft, however the ongoing act of doctoring the ball had been occurring for years, and was well know by all.

As a cricket fan, I spotted the irregular behaviour, no way those closer to the action didn't also notice it.

As I posted a while back:

Warner was a gun first slip. Stood there for years and took some good catches.
We get pumped in Tassie against the reverse swinging ball (November 2016). - Senior officials tell the team: "we don't pay you to play, we pay you to win".
Very next test he's at Mid-off, hands covered in tape. The excuse the public got told was he broke a thumb and cant risk it getting hit again. So for the next few years he's at mid-off, hands covered in tape, and the Aussies have the ball reversing.
2017/18 The aussies pump England, with the ball doing plenty.
Warner runs his mouth after the ashes, tells the poms how he does it, England ring South Africa and let them know. (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Ashes.html)
March 2018 we're over there, they have a camera fixed on Warner and a second camera fixed on the ball, constantly.
We get done doing what we did.
Warner serves his ban.
2019, he's back, and despite all those finger issues, very first test back, he's standing at First slip, no tape on the hands.

This was never a one off as a bad reaction to some SBW sledging he was copping in South Africa.
Cricket Australia told him to do it, he was loyal and agreed, and did it.
Then when caught; they hung him out to dry.

Yes he's an idiot, yes he deserves to serve a penalty.
But I can understand why he's upset that CA have treated him the way they have and a lot of those that knew about it got away with their roles in the process.

The known punishment was a fine or one match ban (Atherton, Trescothick, Waqar Younis, Afridi, Du Plessis x2, Philander, Tendulkar, Dravid, etc) Warner was more than happy to serve his. Instead CA handled it poorly, blew it out of all proportions then bowed to public pressure and slapped a year ban, plus a lifetime leadership ban on him.

He's an idiot, no doubt, but he's been treated extremely poorly by CA and I have no issues with him feeling aggrieved.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket