Ashes 2023

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes 2023

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:06 pm

shoe boy wrote:Like usual though cricket admin won't rip the bandage because:

-1 they will have to damage control the crisis.
-2 most of the admin and potentially some current players will immediately have their careers cut. short.

By the time Warner reveals all, the current staff and players will have all sailed into the sunset with very healthy bank accounts.

What would Warner reveal?[/quote]

Only guessing.....

But taking into account Warners manager came out and mentioned a senior administrative 'encouraged' the tampering, watching the Bancroft 'sugar in the pocket' footage. Judging by the fact they went with the great heist (sandpaper) for their first offence...yeah right.

I don't think it takes an Einstein to work out this wasn't a first-time, one-off ball tampering attempt and in fact it was very likely that it was systematic right from the administration through to a lot more than just a couple of players. Ill never be convinced the bowlers didn't know what was going on.

Given Warner got the biggest suspension given in SAF he played the least role, didn't take the sandpaper out there and he wasn't the captain ultimately responsible for the team clearly CA knew more or had more reason to make Warner the scapegoat than just hes involvement in the SAF debacle.

Going even further but more on the conspiracy side but when is the last time you saw serious genuine reverse swing. A tiny bit in India but doesn't exist in Australia anymore since the ball tampering scandal.......reverse was code for ball tampering imo.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby shoe boy » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:19 pm

Going even further but more on the conspiracy side but when is the last time you saw serious genuine reverse swing. A tiny bit in India but doesn't exist in Australia anymore since the ball tampering scandal.......reverse was code for ball tampering imo.[/quote]

Adelaide Oval night test pink ball?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:09 pm

Does anybody really think that Smith would tell any suits at CA what they were up to?
I highly doubt it, especially the sandpaper use.
Common sense tells me the whole playing group knew so no need to put that in a book.
Pretty certain Lehman would've known, but again did he know they were using sandpaper? I doubt that.

If Warner comes out with a book detailing all it will open up litigation so he'd want to be very careful.
It's old news, every country has been doing it for years.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:22 pm

tigerpie wrote:Does anybody really think that Smith would tell any suits at CA what they were up to?
Common sense tells me the whole playing group knew so no need to put that in a book.
Pretty certain Lehman would've known, but again did he know they were using sandpaper? I doubt that.

If Warner comes out with a book detailing all it will open up litigation so he'd want to be very careful.
It's old news, every country has been doing it for years .

The difference being Australia were stupid enough to get caught.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:27 pm

tigerpie wrote:Does anybody really think that Smith would tell any suits at CA what they were up to?

Its not about Sandpaper gate, it's about what led up to it. Clues have been given (by Davy Dumbarse) that senior CA officials instructed players to use any and all means to gain an advantage..... or words roughly to that affect. "We pay you blokes to win, not to play"... Apparently this was the immediate fall out the summer before, when we lost to Sathers inside 3 days in Hobart.
My view is Davy will name, names.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby tigerpie » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:07 pm

Corona Man wrote:

Its not about Sandpaper gate, it's about what led up to it. Clues have been given (by Davy Dumbarse) that senior CA officials instructed players to use any and all means to gain an advantage..... or words roughly to that affect. "We pay you blokes to win, not to play"... Apparently this was the immediate fall out the summer before, when we lost to Sathers inside 3 days in Hobart.
My view is Davy will name, names.

Well I'm calling bullshit on that comment from Warner.
So a or more CA officials told them to cheat.
Nah bullshit of the highest order.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:51 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

Plenty of cricketers have been stupid enough to get caught ball tampering in the past, your point is?
Apart from the Aussies in 2018 most recently Faf du Plessis was caught for ball today tampering twice! In the UAE 2013 and in Australia in 2016 (in Hobart where SA smashed Australia and had the ball moving both ways significantly). His penalty in 2016 was just a fine (100% of his match fee) but was cleared to play in the next match here in Adelaide! He appealed and lost yet didn't miss any matches for ball tampering.

I'm not condoning what the Aussies did but the penalty they received was alot harsher than the penalty other test cricketers who have been caught ball tampering have received. It'll be great when we as a cricketing public can move on from the Cape Town controversy.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:05 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Plenty of cricketers have been stupid enough to get caught ball tampering in the past, your point is?
Apart from the Aussies in 2018 most recently Faf du Plessis was caught for ball today tampering twice! In the UAE 2013 and in Australia in 2016 (in Hobart where SA smashed Australia and had the ball moving both ways significantly). His penalty in 2016 was just a fine (100% of his match fee) but was cleared to play in the next match here in Adelaide! He appealed and lost yet didn't miss any matches for ball tampering.

I'm not condoning what the Aussies did but the penalty they received was alot harsher than the penalty other test cricketers who have been caught ball tampering have received. It'll be great when we as a cricketing public can move on from the Cape Town controversy.

Do the crime you do the time BUT thankfully CA were harsher than other countries with their extra penalties.
South Africa should have penalised Faf themselves if they were serious about stamping it out.

I don’t believe it was a one off by the Aussies.
It’s like the drink driver who gets caught and says it’s the first time he’s done it.
Pigs arse!

I really do think the only reason Warner is still in the team is coz CA want him to retire on his terms and go quietly.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:19 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Do the crime you do the time BUT thankfully CA were harsher than other countries with their extra penalties.
South Africa should have penalised Faf themselves if they were serious about stamping it out.

I don’t believe it was a one off by the Aussies.
It’s like the drink driver who gets caught and says it’s the first time he’s done it.
Pigs arse!

I really do think the only reason Warner is still in the team is coz CA want him to retire on his terms and go quietly.

Yes well hopefully the penalties the Aussies received acts as deterant for others, time will tell.

Agree it probably wasn't a once off, like Tigerpie originally said every country had been doing it for years to either try and help the ball swing conventionally or reverse.

As for Warner being in the team I don't care about all the controversy surrounding him or how much of a d!ckhead people think he is I think he shouldn't be in the team because he has struggled to make runs lately and because performance in the 2019 Ashes, nothing points to him being able to perform in the upcoming English summer but obviously the Aussies are backing him in.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:43 am

I agree about Warner.
He’s been a great player but his time is up and there’s no way he should be going to England as his record their is terrible and so is his form over the last 3 years(excluding his 200).

Why aren’t CA moving him on?
I’ll guess we’ll find out more when he does eventually retire(whenever that is).
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:14 am

amber_fluid wrote:I agree about Warner.
He’s been a great player but his time is up and there’s no way he should be going to England as his record their is terrible and so is his form over the last 3 years(excluding his 200).

Why aren’t CA moving him on?
I’ll guess we’ll find out more when he does eventually retire(whenever that is).

I don't read into the conspiracies as much as you do, I just think the Aussies are backing him in and will continue to back him in because of how good he has been during his career and because they feel he is still a better option than the other candidates (Renshaw, Harris, Bancroft).
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:58 pm

THE UNCERTAIN AUSSIES
MIKE ATHERTON - FORMER ENGLAND CAPTAIN
Listen to the sound of uncertainty coming from the Australian selectors.
This week, they announced a 17-man squad to come to England, but only for
the final of the World Test Championship against India and for the first two
Ashes Tests.
That is a departure from the norm, even if the names of those selected are
predictable.
Chief selector George Bailey gave his reasoning for selecting a squad for only
two Ashes Tests as thus: “We see value in revisiting the squad following the
second Ashes Test given the short turnaround between World Test
Championship final and the first Ashes Test, along with the length of the
tour.”
Translate that as: We are not quite sure, and don’t want to box ourselves in.
Those with longer memories may be able to recall a squad selected for only
part of an Ashes series, but it is a first as far as I can recall.
A specific translation for Bailey’s reasoning revolves around David Warner,
who, at 36, has been selected for what will be his final Ashes tour.
Warner scored a double hundred against South Africa at Melbourne in
December but that was an aberration in what has looked like an inexorable
decline as a Test opener.
His previous Test hundred before that was in January 2020, and in the 32
innings since then he has made 17 scores under 20. Warner had an horrific
Ashes in England in 2019, when he had no answer to Stuart Broad’s angle of
attack from round the wicket.
Effectively, he has been placed on notice. That the selectors are desperate for
Warner to come good may be glimpsed from the identity of those in reserve.
Marcus Harris is a fine player, but is 30 years old and has achieved little in his
14 Tests so far, averaging in the mid-20s with a highest score of 79.
Matthew Renshaw looked out of his depth in India recently, but has since
made two hundreds for the A team in New Zealand.
Whether Warner can rediscover his best form at his age is doubtful but, given
the alternatives, it is not hard to see why the selectors have shown faith.
One other area of selection, though, is harder to fathom: Scott Boland, who
had such a dramatic entry into Ashes cricket during England’s tour to
Australia in 2021-22, is the only reserve seamer to the first-choice line-up of
Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc.
With 10 players the wrong side of 30, does the profile of the squad suggest
experience or age? Time will tell.
Warner’s fortunes are key to answering that conundrum, and the early weeks
of the tour will focus on him, a player of undeniably top rank, who is raging
against time and desperate for one last Ashes hurrah.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby locky801 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:47 pm

heater31 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Whufc, I did read that Tremain was only available for a three match stint for Northamptonshire so that might suggest he won't stay in England for long?

Surely staying over there? Despite not having a full professional contract surely a local premier league club can find some cash for him!

Australians in the County Championship

Durham: Matthew Kuhnemann

Essex: Daniel Sams (T20s only)

Glamorgan: Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser

Gloucestershire: Marcus Harris

Hampshire: Nathan Ellis, Ben McDermott (both T20s only)

Kent: Wes Agar, Kane Richardson (T20s only)

Leicestershire: Peter Handscomb (April and May)

Northamptonshire: Lance Morris (May 4-21), Chris Tremain (April 6-23), Sam Whiteman (until August), Chris Lynn (T20s), Andrew Tye (T20s)

Somerset: Peter Siddle (until July), Cameron Bancroft (until May 7)

Surrey: Sean Abbott (until July), Dan Worrall (UK passport)

Sussex: Nathan McAndrew (until July), Steve Smith (May 4-21)

Warwickshire: Glenn Maxwell (T20s only)

Yorkshire: Mickey Edwards (UK passport)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3647 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby locky801 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:45 pm

Here goes Candice again

Keep your mouth shut’: Candice Warner blasts Cricket Australia for lack of support after ball-tampering saga

Candice Warner has accused Cricket Australia of failing to support her husband following the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal of 2018, claiming the organisation tried to prevent the veteran opener from representing his country again.

Speaking on The Matty Johns Podcast this week, Warner opened up on the lack of player welfare offered to David after they returned from South Africa.

“There was no support. Basically from when we left the hotel in South Africa, David was wiped,” Warner said.

“There was no Cricket Australia official helping him. There was nothing. It’s like basically you fend for yourself now.

“It was basically fend for yourself, see you later. Thanks for your services.

“Probably, we’re going to do our best for you not to ever come back and play cricket for our country again. We’re going to blame you for everything, and that’s what they did.”

Hell lets get the ashes done and dusted and he retire, i'm more over this woman than the actual incident itself
locky801
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:51 pm

locky801 wrote:Here goes Candice again

Keep your mouth shut’: Candice Warner blasts Cricket Australia for lack of support after ball-tampering saga

Candice Warner has accused Cricket Australia of failing to support her husband following the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal of 2018, claiming the organisation tried to prevent the veteran opener from representing his country again.

Speaking on The Matty Johns Podcast this week, Warner opened up on the lack of player welfare offered to David after they returned from South Africa.

“There was no support. Basically from when we left the hotel in South Africa, David was wiped,” Warner said.

“There was no Cricket Australia official helping him. There was nothing. It’s like basically you fend for yourself now.

“Probably, we’re going to do our best for you not to ever come back and play cricket for our country again. We’re going to blame you for everything, and that’s what they did.”

Hell lets get the ashes done and dusted and he retire, i'm more over this woman than the actual incident itself

Her social media engagements must have dropped last week....needed to get back in the news and get the hits up.
whufc
Coach

Postby locky801 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:30 pm

whufc wrote:
locky801 wrote:Here goes Candice again

Her social media engagements must have dropped last week....needed to get back in the news and get the hits up.

thinks it more so the release of her book :roll:
locky801
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:33 pm

Err hello Candice.
Mrs Smith and Mrs Bancroft would say the same thing
They bought the game into disrepute.
Both leaders and the perpetrator were sent home in disgrace and so they should've.
Did she expect a returning heroes response?
Don't blame her for sticking up for her husband but Davey should tell her to zip it.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:32 pm

tigerpie wrote:Err hello Candice.
Mrs Smith and Mrs Bancroft would say the same thing
They bought the game into disrepute.
Both leaders and the perpetrator were sent home in disgrace and so they should've.
Did she expect a returning heroes response?
Don't blame her for sticking up for her husband but Davey should tell her to zip it.

She is that thirsty for fame she doesn't realise her employers are letting her look like a fool at every oppurtunity.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:37 pm

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ajin ... al-1371229

India has named their squad for the WTC Final. Ajinkya Rahane, who hasn't played a rest since Jan 2022 has been named as Shreyas Iyer and Jasprit Bumrah were left out as both are still recovering from back injuries and Suryakumar Yadav has been dropped.

India squad: Rohit Sharma (C), Shubman Gill, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane, KL Rahul, KS Bharat (wk), Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Shardul Thakur, Mohammed Shami, Mohammed Siraj, Umesh Yadav, Jaydev Unadkat.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:42 am

The Dark Knight wrote:https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ajinkya-rahane-returns-to-india-test-squad-for-wtc-final-1371229

India has named their squad for the WTC Final. Ajinkya Rahane, who hasn't played a rest since Jan 2022 has been named as Shreyas Iyer and Jasprit Bumrah were left out as both are still recovering from back injuries and Suryakumar Yadav has been dropped.

India squad: Rohit Sharma (C), Shubman Gill, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane, KL Rahul, KS Bharat (wk), Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Shardul Thakur, Mohammed Shami, Mohammed Siraj, Umesh Yadav, Jaydev Unadkat.

We are the number ranked side hey??

Does that mean we win the title if it's a drawn test.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket