Port Adelaide 2023

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2023

by mots02 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:23 pm

Boon - Met your quota of one review per week somewhere else this week?! ;) :lol:

mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

by Booney » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:37 pm

I watched the game. It wasn't worth reviewing!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

by mots02 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:41 pm

Booney wrote:I watched the game. It wasn't worth reviewing!

Since when has that stopped you?!
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

by mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:42 pm

Booney wrote:I watched the game. It wasn't worth reviewing!
Bollocks.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

by mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:56 am

What a shame there won't be a review of this either[emoji22]

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

by Booney » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:01 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:What a shame there won't be a review of this either[emoji22]

Might do one.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

by LaughingKookaburra » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:22 pm

Some credit where it’s due, Ken Hinkley has definitely changed since the showdown loss and so has Port Adelaide’s output and therefore results. He’s gone away from sitting upstairs, guzzling Pepsi max/coke no sugar and the cliches. He’s on the bench, showing emotion, has a crack at journalists when they are out of line and definitely brings some urgency to the bench. Ports consistency and urgency has definitely improved - **** me dead if this happened 3-4 years back then who knows what could have happened in that time…..
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

by locky801 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:55 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Some credit where it’s due, Ken Hinkley has definitely changed since the showdown loss and so has Port Adelaide’s output and therefore results. He’s gone away from sitting upstairs, guzzling Pepsi max/coke no sugar and the cliches. He’s on the bench, showing emotion, has a crack at journalists when they are out of line and definitely brings some urgency to the bench. Ports consistency and urgency has definitely improved - **** me dead if this happened 3-4 years back then who knows what could have happened in that time…..

Koch already drawing up the new 5 year contract ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3695 times
Been liked: 1165 times

by valleys07 » Mon May 01, 2023 9:22 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Some credit where it’s due, Ken Hinkley has definitely changed since the showdown loss and so has Port Adelaide’s output and therefore results. He’s gone away from sitting upstairs, guzzling Pepsi max/coke no sugar and the cliches. He’s on the bench, showing emotion, has a crack at journalists when they are out of line and definitely brings some urgency to the bench. Ports consistency and urgency has definitely improved - **** me dead if this happened 3-4 years back then who knows what could have happened in that time…..

TBH, I don't think Port's change in output is Ken's handy work at all. Tredrea's comments, post showdown, certainly put some heat on the club, and for the first time in what feels like forever, the media actually questioned Ken's tenure instead of cupping his balls.

Ken's legacy is that of a wonderful man manager, not a masterful tactician. The players love him, that much is evident. Not just within the PAFC, but he was clearly adored by those he coached at Geelong/Gold Coast. After Tredders' bake, I really do believe they have Ken "coaching" from the boundary, but the tactical stuff coming from the box- IMO headed by Josh Carr. After all - 10 years has left Ken looking like a stunned mullet in the box whenever the oppo gets a jump or a string of momentum. I'm not going to start believing he is a changed man, now.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

by saintal » Mon May 01, 2023 9:51 am

Watching from afar I'd say Valleys has nailed the situation with the post above. Whatever the arrangement, it appears to be working currently.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

by Booney » Mon May 01, 2023 10:28 am

valleys07 wrote:

TBH, I don't think Port's change in output is Ken's handy work at all. Tredrea's comments, post showdown, certainly put some heat on the club, and for the first time in what feels like forever, the media actually questioned Ken's tenure instead of cupping his balls.

Ken's legacy is that of a wonderful man manager, not a masterful tactician. The players love him, that much is evident. Not just within the PAFC, but he was clearly adored by those he coached at Geelong/Gold Coast. After Tredders' bake, I really do believe they have Ken "coaching" from the boundary, but the tactical stuff coming from the box- IMO headed by Josh Carr. After all - 10 years has left Ken looking like a stunned mullet in the box whenever the oppo gets a jump or a string of momentum. I'm not going to start believing he is a changed man, now.

Stole some thunder....review to come.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

by The Bedge » Mon May 01, 2023 11:01 am

valleys07 wrote:I really do believe they have Ken "coaching" from the boundary, but the tactical stuff coming from the box- IMO headed by Josh Carr.

This was my thought also the other week - and grooming Carr for the top job by giving him added responsibility game day.

Ken can continue to give feedback and manage the players from the bench, and they get the best of both worlds then.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

by Booney » Mon May 01, 2023 11:04 am

They say playing under Friday night lights is the big stage and Port shone under our roof as the ownership of St Kilda continued, 12 of the last 13 encounters going Port’s way after a thrilling 7 point win on Friday night and that’s 8 wins in a row at Marvel for Port.

St Kilda certainly started the better, their system was playing out as they liked with Marshall winning the ball in all areas dictating terms to the St Kilda runners, Sinclair, Steele, Clarke, all rebounding and attacking. At the other end Port looked stifled in attack, the two goals to Duursma and Boak were both hurried shots and more by accident than design. At the other end St Kilda were kick / mark and their high possession game was in full swing, 46 more touches ( 35 of them uncontested ), 15 more marks and going at 75% disposal efficiency, Port were not following the plan they’d put in place during that first term, things changed in the second. If not for Horne-Francis in the first term there wouldn’t have been a Port player in the top 5 on the ground, he was as powerful as he was brilliant in and around the contest and try as they might the St Kilda midfield couldn’t stop him in close.

The move of Hinkley down to the bench has seen Josh Carr assume more of the role of chess master, moving the pieces from above while Hinkley motivates from ground level ( think McRae and Leppitsch at Collingwood ) and the first break gave both the chance to go to work. Boak was moved into the middle, Wines went out to an uncustomary spot on the wing and the back half was given a talking too about positioning and intensity. Both quickly improved.

21 tackles for the quarter was the catalyst for the 4 goal to none term ( St Kilda’s 1st goalless qtr of 2023 ) despite losing inside 50’s 16-10 ( Port scored 4.5 from 10 entries ) and it was all about the pressure. McEntee and Powell-Pepper lifted forward of the ball, Bergman and Houston in the back half and the manic pressure of Butters in the middle had St Kilda on the hop. They couldn’t win it and when they did they couldn’t get deep entries into the forward line.

On the back of that term Port started the second half with 5 inside 50’s to 1, problem was Port didn’t score from these entries while the Saints had 1 major from 1 entry, the impressive Owens. Mid way through the term Port had had 65% of the play at our end but couldn’t capitalise, Powell-Pepper goaled but quick replies from Wood and Butler had the Saints back in front. Enter Dixon. Clearly hobbled by a knee concern Dixon struggled to move around the ground but his ability to hold strong in the contest saw him palm one into Rioli’s breadbasket and he gobbled it up. Brian Taylor mentioned it “Almost looked deliberate”. It was 100% deliberate you rabbit. Onto the outer wing and another dish off too Junior sliding by saw a forward 50 entry, some scrambling resulted until Junior mopped it up, sold Howard a pup and Juniors second stunner in 10 minutes had Port up, just, going into the last.

The Saints have been lauded for their running capacity in 2023 and that looked to be unfolding early in the last as Steele and Gresham kicked the first two of the term to regain the lead, 5-0 I50’s and 4-1 in clearances and the St’s fans were up. Some Dixon ruck work led to a Finlayson snap and goal, some Dixon pressure resulted in a Powell-Pepper goal and this was going to the wire. When Hunter Clarke strolled through the midfield to goal from long range it was anyones game. Step up JHF. After winning a clearance and handing the ball off at half back he made position on the wing and took an uncontested mark, his scintillating kick into the midfield hit Houston on the button and when he launched from inside the centre square to Dixon and Howard 1-on-1 the big man stood tall, marking and kicking truly to put Port 8 points in front with under 5 to play. With only 11 goals for the night 2 in 5 minutes looked a bridge too far for the Saints and so it was. Port saluting by 7.

Boons best – Horne-Francis, Boak, Houston, Butters, Bergman, Powell-Pepper with apologies to Dixon, Williams and Finlayson.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

by valleys07 » Mon May 01, 2023 11:16 am

Good summary, Boon.

Williams for SPP my only change. 17 disposals at 94%, he was the architect behind a lot of I50 opportunities for Port. Self proclaimed smart footballer over athlete (who would have thought) - we look a completely different side when we are spotting up targets out of defence, rather than the customary bomb and clear that we have become accustomed to for at least 7 seasons now.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

by MW » Mon May 01, 2023 1:42 pm

Seemingly more likely Mitch is leaving at year end from both camps.
What settles the trade? WCE 2nd rd pick which would most likely be close to 20?
Not sure Port have much bargaining power when he was dropped and not performing at SANFL level before the knee.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

by Booney » Mon May 01, 2023 1:56 pm

MW wrote:Seemingly more likely Mitch is leaving at year end from both camps.
Not sure Port have much bargaining power when he was dropped and not performing at SANFL level before the knee.

Right now they have 1,19 and 32 ( which is ours tied to them ) 37, 50 ( again ours, tied to them ) and 55.

19 feels unders, 19 and 32 overs, so probably 19 and a 50 or 55.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

by Armchair expert » Mon May 01, 2023 1:57 pm

They will get one of the first round picks WC get from Melbourne for Harley Reid (pick 1)
Last edited by Armchair expert on Mon May 01, 2023 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1433 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

by MW » Mon May 01, 2023 1:58 pm

Booney wrote:

Right now they have 1,19 and 32 ( which is ours tied to them ) 37, 50 ( again ours, tied to them ) and 55.

Does it though? For a guy playing avg SANFL coming off a knee? I would have thought 19 is spot on.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

by helicopterking » Mon May 01, 2023 1:59 pm

The way Freo forward line functions, They will most likely go for him.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

by Booney » Mon May 01, 2023 2:03 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

Does it though? For a guy playing avg SANFL coming off a knee? I would have thought 19 is spot on.

It does, given the factors involved in him playing SANFL. He's behind Dixon, Marshall and Finlayson, not exactly easy to bump one of them aside the way they've been playing and the roles they play.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL