I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:26 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
Pseudo wrote:I got 50 cents for my first and 20 cents for each subsequent. Does this show me up us an old fart, or were my parents just tight arses?

My own crotchfruit got gold coins. Bit awkward to give anything greater when you leave it in a glass of water.

I got $5 for my first tooth and that was in 1979!

Was the paper soggy?

ha, no/

cant remember exactly but i think the glass was gone and the note was there
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 02, 2023 9:35 am

When do you start charging your kids board and how much do you charge?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Spargo » Tue May 02, 2023 9:50 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:When do you start charging your kids board and how much do you charge?

I’d charge a certain percentage of their pay the moment they start earning their own money.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Tue May 02, 2023 10:07 am

Spargo wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:When do you start charging your kids board and how much do you charge?

I’d charge a certain percentage of their pay the moment they start earning their own money.

10% here.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby whufc » Tue May 02, 2023 10:30 am

My plan is....

Charge them roughly 10% of their wage towards our board.

Reason 1......teach them to live within their means in preparation for when they do move out. 10% is enough to teach responsibility, not let them live outside of their means but also allow them to be young and have fun with friends.

2. I will be putting their 10% board away in a savings account without them knowing, when the time is right, they will have access to that money.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MW » Tue May 02, 2023 10:38 am

For me, as soon as they are working full time. Then a flat fee.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Hector » Tue May 02, 2023 11:06 am

whufc wrote:

My plan is....

Charge them roughly 10% of their wage towards our board.

Reason 1......teach them to live within their means in preparation for when they do move out. 10% is enough to teach responsibility, not let them live outside of their means but also allow them to be young and have fun with friends.

2. I will be putting their 10% board away in a savings account without them knowing, when the time is right, they will have access to that money.

I read something that said this was a good way of doing it and teaching financial skills to young people. They suggested having three jars/accounts - spend, save, share. A proportion of their wage/pocket money goes into each one. Spend is what they can spend immediately. Save is what they put away and share is board/donations/contributions to family activities
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby DOC » Tue May 02, 2023 11:43 am

I had to also emphasise to mine that paying board does not entitle you to do SFA around the house. You are not in a hotel room.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Booney » Tue May 02, 2023 11:51 am

A friends family, three girls ( now two, eldest one just brought her own unit ) had theirs take turns on doing dinner 1 night per week for the family.

They can shop and cook, or buy in, up to them, but they each had dinner duties one night a week including the clean up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Tue May 02, 2023 12:15 pm

That sounds like a great idea.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby whufc » Tue May 02, 2023 12:36 pm

Booney wrote:A friends family, three girls ( now two, eldest one just brought her own unit ) had theirs take turns on doing dinner 1 night per week for the family.

They can shop and cook, or buy in, up to them, but they each had dinner duties one night a week including the clean up.

Love that.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Brodlach » Tue May 02, 2023 2:46 pm

We have not charged board even with girlfriends almost living with us. We can afford to absorb their costs so we can help them get ahead. They are expected to help around the house which they do.

Their pay goes into an account that I only have access to but they can have up to half each week, no more. The other half goes to savings. Been doing that since they got their first job.

Lad number one who is 21 has enough for a small house deposit and bought himself a brand new car cash yesterday

Son number two is 19 and bought a quality second hand Ute a month ago but has plenty in the bank. His matés barely have a car let alone what he has.

We each do things differently , there is no right or wrong way.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Tue May 02, 2023 2:53 pm

Brodlach wrote:Their pay goes into an account that I only have access to but they can have up to half each week, no more.

So you control their pay? How old are they?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue May 02, 2023 3:00 pm

Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Their pay goes into an account that I only have access to but they can have up to half each week, no more.

I did say in my post; 21 and 19. They can look and check their accounts as often as they like but they are expected to save while living with us rent free

21 year old if he got $10 he’d spend $50 as he WAS terrible with money.

No kids of that age with no overheads need more than $400-$500 a week to live on.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 02, 2023 3:09 pm

My wife won't allow me to charge board, however when we need something from the supermarket (they both work at Woolies) they pay for it and don't seek reimbursement unless its something significant. They also eat out a couple of times a week (fast food, pub, footy club) so that saves us some $'s.

#1 19yo son had a full year in 2022 working full time and saved some significant $'s and has just upgraded to his 2nd car with cash, he is now at Uni but has built a good base which is pleasing. #2 is heading in the same direction and will be able to buy his first car (with some small help from us) when he turns 17 later this year.

Im ok with not charging board as long as they are saving. My wife has access to their bank accounts so can monitor it, its also eye opening checking #1's account after a night in town, a night out ain't cheap anymore :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue May 02, 2023 3:15 pm

Booney wrote:

Sounds like you are judging me Booney?

I don’t have access to their “spending “ accounts, they can do whatever they choose with that.
Last edited by Brodlach on Tue May 02, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue May 02, 2023 3:16 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Booney wrote:

Sounds like you are judging me Booney?

Not at all, like you say, we're all different no right or wrong.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue May 02, 2023 3:23 pm

I started with nothing (including parents) , never been given a thing so have scrimped and saved my younger life with my wife to have what I have now.

Not everyone has the ability to call on parents or family to help them get ahead but I have instilled a good work ethic and savings plan to help my kids which I didn’t have the opportunity to get
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 02, 2023 4:20 pm

Cheers fella’s, there’s a lot of helpful hints there, I was thinking of putting a fair proportion away to give back to him as a surprise when he goes to buy a car in the future.

Lad is 17, been working solidly for almost 3 months getting around a grand a week, it’s only natural to waste some on shoes, clothes etc for the first few pays but then there needs to be a time to focus on saving, he has got more in the bank than I expected but it shits me to tears the Uber eats and pointless Uber trips him and his gf take.

He’ll have his P’s in the next week or two, I’ll see how he goes from there, might just wait til he’s 18 before rolling out the B word, him and his gf stay at least 5 nights a week and I cook pretty much every night, I have all my kids over for a Sunday roast though and I do like to cook, if they weren’t there I’d not eat at night.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby locky801 » Tue May 02, 2023 5:05 pm

We never charged our 3 kids anything as long as they could show they were not being wasteful with their money we were happy to keep it at that.

They all pulled their weight at home by doing daily chores, cooking meals, lad kept the garden neat and tidy

All three have well paid jobs whilst living at home, which they all still have now, the lad was the last to move out 3 months ago.

They all now have and own their own vehicles outright and have their own properties which they have mortgages on

was just the way we wanted to go, they saved hard and have what they want and both the girls still manage to travel O/S at least once a year on a holiday,
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3648 times
Been liked: 1160 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion