Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Re: ROUND 6 EAGLES VS DOGS MAUGHAN THIEM OVAL SAT 2:10PM

Postby bulldogproud » Sun May 14, 2023 4:30 am

stampy wrote:looking forward to next week

You like the State game that much?
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Pseudo » Sun May 14, 2023 9:43 am

bulldogproud wrote:

You like the State game that much?

At 3pm on a weekday, you'd have to be keen...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun May 14, 2023 10:11 am

Bloody funny if we win!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Brodlach » Sun May 14, 2023 10:14 am

Glenelg win and there’s the three game buffer ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun May 14, 2023 11:00 am

Brodlach wrote:Glenelg win and there’s the three game buffer ;)

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go still.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby bulldogproud » Sun May 14, 2023 1:35 pm

If referring to the Stampy bet, Glenelg need a three position buffer, not game buffer. Still, I'd rather be in Stampy's position than mine at the moment.
Also, to complete the first half of the season Glenelg play the Crows and Sturt whilst we play Norwood and Port.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby am Bays » Sun May 14, 2023 2:00 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go still.

Exactly, like us, you can’t rule out the spoon yet ;)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Spargo » Sun May 14, 2023 3:45 pm

bulldogproud wrote:

If referring to the Stampy bet, Glenelg need a three position buffer, not game buffer. Still, I'd rather be in Stampy's position than mine at the moment.
Also, to complete the first half of the season Glenelg play the Crows and Sturt whilst we play Norwood and Port.

*ahem*
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5125 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bulldogproud » Sun May 14, 2023 4:21 pm

Spargo wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

*ahem*

Oops, the Spargo bet...keep on getting you two confused. I should remember: one is black, the other is gold ;)
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby wedgetail » Sun May 14, 2023 8:39 pm

Gritty win by the Eags. Our pressure on the ball carrier was a highlight and there were passages of play ( 10 min patch in second quarter) where we moved the ball with speed, skill and efficiency. The backline was terrific today, ably led by Luke Thompson with capable support from Lehmann and Beecken. Special mention to the inexperienced Josh Bruce who held Grace (normally one of Centrals best forward in my opinion) to only 5 touches and no goals.
Sinor, an inspirational captain's game, especially with an unusually quiet Jimmy Rowe (playing under duress with illness or injury??) not figuring as much as usual. Brinker-Richie looks a real find in the ruck, tapping beautifully against a credible opponent in McCormack. Hopefully his knee injury is not serious.
The test now is for the team to continue this improvement after the break with hopefully Knight, Goldy and D Menzel putting themselves up for selection.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby wedgetail » Sun May 14, 2023 8:49 pm

Forgot to mention Adam D'Aloia, another youngster blooded by Sheeds. His strength, toughness and 1 %ers were invaluable around the ball.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby northerner » Sun May 14, 2023 10:43 pm

wedgetail wrote:Gritty win by the Eags. Our pressure on the ball carrier was a highlight and there were passages of play ( 10 min patch in second quarter) where we moved the ball with speed, skill and efficiency. The backline was terrific today, ably led by Luke Thompson with capable support from Lehmann and Beecken. Special mention to the inexperienced Josh Bruce who held Grace (normally one of Centrals best forward in my opinion) to only 5 touches and no goals.
Sinor, an inspirational captain's game, especially with an unusually quiet Jimmy Rowe (playing under duress with illness or injury??) not figuring as much as usual. Brinker-Richie looks a real find in the ruck, tapping beautifully against a credible opponent in McCormack. Hopefully his knee injury is not serious.
The test now is for the team to continue this improvement after the break with hopefully Knight, Goldy and D Menzel putting themselves up for selection.

James Rowe was very quiet.... credit where its due. Billy Iles was a great match for him. The best small defender in the comp, worthy of a gig in the state game next week.

Agree re Eagles defensive pressure. Dogs have shown they can move the ball quickly, but now need to be able to do so when the heat is applied.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 436 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Doddy » Mon May 15, 2023 11:55 am

Fair criticism of our forwards this week, 11 more I50s yet 4 less shots on goal. Pearce is good with the ball, and presents well but doesn't clunk it that often, I suppose he is at least drawing a tall defender. Grace seems a bit lost not being the main target but is doing some nice ground level work, but was beaten yesterday.

The I50 count probably suggests the mids did OK in attack despite being beaten in the ruck, which follows the pattern of the last few weeks where their clearance rate is still good on losing rucks.

I thought the forwards bigger problem this week was their defensive work. They let the ball out too easily, which allowed the Eagles movement to be swift giving our defenders no chance. Pres was missed in this respect.

Umpiring was ordinary both ways, all day, so many times the players couldn't work out what or who the free was for. Our stocks were down the last few years, and there were reserve-grade players getting a regular league gig, and I think that's where the umpires are at the moment.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Dogs64 » Mon May 15, 2023 12:24 pm

Doddy wrote:Fair criticism of our forwards this week, 11 more I50s yet 4 less shots on goal. Pearce is good with the ball, and presents well but doesn't clunk it that often, I suppose he is at least drawing a tall defender. Grace seems a bit lost not being the main target but is doing some nice ground level work, but was beaten yesterday.

The I50 count probably suggests the mids did OK in attack despite being beaten in the ruck, which follows the pattern of the last few weeks where their clearance rate is still good on losing rucks.

I thought the forwards bigger problem this week was their defensive work. They let the ball out too easily, which allowed the Eagles movement to be swift giving our defenders no chance. Pres was missed in this respect.

Umpiring was ordinary both ways, all day, so many times the players couldn't work out what or who the free was for. Our stocks were down the last few years, and there were reserve-grade players getting a regular league gig, and I think that's where the umpires are at the moment.

Unfortunately, I think Pearce get's out bodied too much, can't hold his ground. This means not only isn't the ball bought to ground, but he's also out marked, and the ball turned over. The Westies defender last week beat him regularly in the marking contest. Agreed, Grace was leaving it to Pearce to lead. I thought they might actually use Pearce as a false lead (which I reckon we used to do with Kynan Ford).
Yes re umpires, I think a turning point was when Rowe was tackled, spun round and dropped the ball on the Eagles 50 when we were about 12 points down, no holding the ball. Eagles scored and game over.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 180 times

Postby bulldogproud » Mon May 15, 2023 1:28 pm

Doddy wrote:Fair criticism of our forwards this week, 11 more I50s yet 4 less shots on goal. Pearce is good with the ball, and presents well but doesn't clunk it that often, I suppose he is at least drawing a tall defender. Grace seems a bit lost not being the main target but is doing some nice ground level work, but was beaten yesterday.

Agreed, I think we are still a work-in-progress in our forward line, sorting out how we use Billy, Hugo, Aidan, Nick and Dale. Yes, we were getting the ball into our forward 50, but not that often in a way useful to the tall forwards. We need to get it in there more quickly, with a quick-leading forward the recipient. Our movement was a bit slow, making it hard for our forwards. Yes, I agree that Dale is being outmarked at the moment but I don't see anyone else who could come in and help out there. Given better delivery, hopefully he will be okay. As you said, once he has the ball, he is more than competent... kicked two, including one excellent shot. Btw, he must have missed the third by inches.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby UK Fan » Mon May 15, 2023 4:35 pm

bulldogproud wrote:

Agreed, I think we are still a work-in-progress in our forward line, sorting out how we use Billy, Hugo, Aidan, Nick and Dale. Yes, we were getting the ball into our forward 50, but not that often in a way useful to the tall forwards. We need to get it in there more quickly, with a quick-leading forward the recipient. Our movement was a bit slow, making it hard for our forwards. Yes, I agree that Dale is being outmarked at the moment but I don't see anyone else who could come in and help out there. Given better delivery, hopefully he will be okay. As you said, once he has the ball, he is more than competent... kicked two, including one excellent shot. Btw, he must have missed the third by inches.

I was behind the goals for both shots. Pearce didnt miss IMHO, Shocking goal umpiring. And then Nicholls goal in the second clearly missed as the doggies defenders tried to point out.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby whybother » Mon May 15, 2023 8:07 pm

As if an umpire of any sort would change his/her opinion because of player reaction
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Spargo » Mon May 15, 2023 8:35 pm

whybother wrote:As if an umpire of any sort would change his/her opinion because of player reaction

Not sure that’s what he was saying…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5125 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby whybother » Tue May 16, 2023 8:14 pm

Not sure that’s what he was saying…

And then Nicholls goal in the second clearly missed as the doggies defenders tried to point out.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL