AFL Season 2023

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Season 2023

Postby JK » Sun May 14, 2023 1:34 pm

tigerpie wrote:I don't think sacking Simpson is the way to go.
The bloke can coach and knows how to build a team.
Give him a fit squad and he'd get results.

That squad needs de-cluttering and bolstering still, they’ve done what so many teams before them have and held on to former stars well past their used by date.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Hector » Mon May 15, 2023 10:29 am

JK wrote:
tigerpie wrote:I don't think sacking Simpson is the way to go.
The bloke can coach and knows how to build a team.
Give him a fit squad and he'd get results.

That squad needs de-cluttering and bolstering still, they’ve done what so many teams before them have and held on to former stars well past their used by date.

Simpson has coached WC for about 10 years for 2 GFs, 1 flag. So he has the credentials. For me, it depends what role he has had in the list development and if the fitness staff are his people. They've failed to make tough decisions and now it's too late.

Simpson himself though may have missed the boat last season, not sure how many clubs will have a change of coach after this season. Dew at GC the only coach that has had a lengthy opportunity with no results. If Carlton don't make the 8 there will be pressure on Voss but he'll get another. On the other hand, with 3 clubs going with recycled coaches last season, maybe there isn't a lot of new coaching talent about at the moment.
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby RB » Mon May 15, 2023 11:40 am

Hector wrote:Dew at GC the only coach that has had a lengthy opportunity with no results.

Hmm, I could've sworn there was another current AFL coach who fits that bill...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 15, 2023 11:46 am

RB wrote:
Hector wrote:Dew at GC the only coach that has had a lengthy opportunity with no results.

Hmm, I could've sworn there was another current AFL coach who fits that bill...
Might change this year and a few left with egg on their faces
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon May 15, 2023 12:18 pm

My current rankings :

Contenders - Collingwood, Melbourne, Brisbane
Next in line - Geelong
Might upset one of them up there ^ - Port Adelaide, Bulldogs
Playing when 10 others finish - Adelaide
Fighting to be the last one in - St Kilda, Essendon, Carlton

Not really doing anything much at all - Gold Coast, Richmond, Fremantle, Sydney, GWS
Really quite poor - West Coast
Starting again, again - North
Blatantly tanking in front of the AFL - Hawthorn
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 15, 2023 1:08 pm

Hawks are playing West Coast this week and Sam Mitchell has just tested positive to Covid. Wonder how many players are “missing” this week for the Harley Reid Cup
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon May 15, 2023 1:12 pm

Jim05 wrote:Hawks are playing West Coast this week and Sam Mitchell has just tested positive to Covid. Wonder how many players are “missing” this week for the Harley Reid Cup

Can't make this sh1t up.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Mon May 15, 2023 1:16 pm

West Coast $3.85 H2H

$4.10 for 1-39
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Mon May 15, 2023 1:23 pm

Booney wrote:West Coast $3.85 H2H

$4.10 for 1-39

Only gambling addicts would bet on that game.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby helicopterking » Mon May 15, 2023 1:27 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:What’s happened to Sydney? I thought they were on the up after last season, they are poop, the SCG is no longer a fortress, they have only beaten Hawthorn there so far this season.

How Longmire and Swans have escaped Criticism this season is beyond me. Most disappointing team so far this season. But have Nth and Carlton before the bye.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 15, 2023 1:34 pm

helicopterking wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:What’s happened to Sydney? I thought they were on the up after last season, they are poop, the SCG is no longer a fortress, they have only beaten Hawthorn there so far this season.

How Longmire and Swans have escaped Criticism this season is beyond me. Most disappointing team so far this season. But have Nth and Carlton before the bye.

False dawn in 2022, won the prelim by a point and would have been better off ( and Grand Final day would have been ) missing out.

Plenty of their players from last year aren't anywhere near that form, Mills and Heeney were both AA, both are paddling, Blakey and Lloyd in defence playing under sized and getting exposed this year and McDonald hasn't made Franklin's spot his own and they're playing a 36 year old who can't get up and down.

Feel like Franklins season is going to tarnish the last great key forwards memories in the game.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon May 15, 2023 1:40 pm

Booney wrote:
helicopterking wrote:

False dawn in 2022, won the prelim by a point and would have been better off ( and Grand Final day would have been ) missing out.

Plenty of their players from last year aren't anywhere near that form, Mills and Heeney were both AA, both are paddling, Blakey and Lloyd in defence playing under sized and getting exposed this year and McDonald hasn't made Franklin's spot his own and they're playing a 36 year old who can't get up and down.

Feel like Franklins season is going to tarnish the last great key forwards memories in the game.

Hasn't played Essendon yet. He might retire after he boots 8 against us.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon May 15, 2023 1:50 pm

Agreed, he looks cooked.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Spargo » Mon May 15, 2023 1:57 pm

Maybe all those premiership medals he’s won at Sydney are finally weighing him down…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 15, 2023 2:01 pm

Spargo wrote:Maybe all those premiership medals he’s won at Sydney are finally weighing him down…

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 15, 2023 4:47 pm

helicopterking wrote:

they just going down the same path many before them have, that fail to back up after being flogged in a granny by flat track bullis
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 15, 2023 4:52 pm

Jim05 wrote:Hawks are playing West Coast this week and Sam Mitchell has just tested positive to Covid. Wonder how many players are “missing” this week for the Harley Reid Cup

i dont mind what Mitchell is doing. The list has to get experience, they have gone full steam ahead at a rebuild. Just a pity Gunston left, but it provides an opportunity for a kid who is likely to be there when they next cancel september holidays
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon May 15, 2023 4:59 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

i dont mind what Mitchell is doing. The list has to get experience, they have gone full steam ahead at a rebuild. Just a pity Gunston left, but it provides an opportunity for a kid who is likely to be there when they next cancel september holidays

Went along to the G on Saturday expecting to get a flogging, and at quarter time, it was exactly that. Game was over. So as a supporter, you are looking for signs from some of the younger blokes that there is hope for the future. There is hope, there are small signs, but gee they are few & far between. Kositchke for example. Could not get a kick the week before at Preston, but gets recalled, when Reeves goes down as the back up ruckman. Ramsden, was very good in the 2's the week before, and showed some agility to be quite versatile, to at least be a head ache up forward. I'd say Lever would have been pi55-ing himeslf when he trots down back to pick up Kositchke.
They need to stick fat, and back in those that they think will be part of the next successful era. Get a core group of a dozen or so through to 40-50 games playing together, and then you have a little more to work with.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 15, 2023 5:10 pm

Corona Man wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Went along to the G on Saturday expecting to get a flogging, and at quarter time, it was exactly that. Game was over. So as a supporter, you are looking for signs from some of the younger blokes that there is hope for the future. There is hope, there are small signs, but gee they are few & far between. Kositchke for example. Could not get a kick the week before at Preston, but gets recalled, when Reeves goes down as the back up ruckman. Ramsden, was very good in the 2's the week before, and showed some agility to be quite versatile, to at least be a head ache up forward. I'd say Lever would have been pi55-ing himeslf when he trots down back to pick up Kositchke.
They need to stick fat, and back in those that they think will be part of the next successful era. Get a core group of a dozen or so through to 40-50 games playing together, and then you have a little more to work with.

completely agree. theyve chosen this road. they cant just change lanes in 2yrs time.
but as a supporter you just want to see some effort and that they will continue to maintain playing the gameplan regardless of how matches are panning out.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue May 16, 2023 7:14 am

helicopterking wrote:

Recent History....

Get smashed in the GF and its borderline impossible to come back from it in recent times.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL