Ashes 2023

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes 2023

Postby bulldogproud » Fri May 12, 2023 11:27 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:Although there is certainly bad news for England's bowling stocks, it may not be as bad as feared in the above post. Although Ollie Robinson did need painkilling injections, it was probably due to the amount he bowled: he took 14 wickets in that match!! Also, although Mark Wood is currently on paternity leave, he is expected to play in the Ashes.

Yes, the news re Joffra is worse than was earlier thought. He won't be fit for the first test... and maybe longer. The same applies to Ollie Stone.

Thus, the English attack for the first half of the Ashes is likely to come from: Anderson, Broad, Robinson, Wood, Potts and Stokes. Not a bad lineup but it would be good to have a fit Joffra and Stone.

Don't forget about Woakes BP, that makes a group of seven including Stokes. Handy cricketer, especially in England but I can't see Woakes 'balancing the lineup' at number seven for England.

No mention of Potts in that article means the writer of that article either forgot about him or doesn't rate him and questioning Wood's availability due to paternity leave is reaching a bit.

Archer playing test cricket again is more of a hope than anything and there's been a continual question mark on him and his problematic elbow for three/four years now.

Very good points, Dark Knight, not sure how I forgot Woakesy. I think there will be a spot for him in a test or two.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby DOC » Fri May 12, 2023 12:07 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:Although there is certainly bad news for England's bowling stocks, it may not be as bad as feared in the above post. Although Ollie Robinson did need painkilling injections, it was probably due to the amount he bowled: he took 14 wickets in that match!! Also, although Mark Wood is currently on paternity leave, he is expected to play in the Ashes.

Yes, the news re Joffra is worse than was earlier thought. He won't be fit for the first test... and maybe longer. The same applies to Ollie Stone.

Thus, the English attack for the first half of the Ashes is likely to come from: Anderson, Broad, Robinson, Wood, Potts and Stokes. Not a bad lineup but it would be good to have a fit Joffra and Stone.

Don't forget about Woakes BP, that makes a group of seven including Stokes. Handy cricketer, especially in England but I can't see Woakes 'balancing the lineup' at number seven for England.

No mention of Potts in that article means the writer of that article either forgot about him or doesn't rate him and questioning Wood's availability due to paternity leave is reaching a bit.

Archer playing test cricket again is more of a hope than anything and there's been a continual question mark on him and his problematic elbow for three/four years now.

Ben Horne
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby Armchair expert » Fri May 12, 2023 9:26 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Neser just took 7fa

Made runs last match

needs to be in the squad!

another 4 wickets

more runs , currently 58*
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri May 12, 2023 10:15 pm

DOC wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Ben Horne

Horne is clutching at straws a bit with that article IMO.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Jim05 » Sat May 13, 2023 2:08 pm

IMG_0461.jpeg
IMG_0461.jpeg (646.19 KiB) Viewed 6664 times
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon May 15, 2023 9:04 pm

Interesting snippet from a recent Usman Khawaja interview that I think can relate to David Warner being retained in the Australian squad for the Ashes-

Khawaja believed that Australia had been too "reactive" in dropping players in the past, including himself, after the odd failure.

"I've always been big on just picking your best players and sticking with them because they'll score you the most runs consistently, and I think over the years in selection for Australian cricket, we have chased our tail a little bit trying to pick players in form," he said.

"Form is temporary. Class is not. I think the new selectors, with [coach] Andrew McDonald up the top, understand that part of the game and hence there has been a lot more stability in selecting and picking players and sticking with them."

"I've been dropped seven times in Test cricket and I've come back, and there's a reason for that…because I've always scored runs consistently in first-class cricket and fought my way back."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/usma ... ge-1375834

Meanwhile Jimmy Anderson has suffered a groin strain playing for Lancashire and is in doubt to play in England's test against Ireland.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/engl ... es-1375803
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue May 16, 2023 7:23 am

Never bought the class is permanent argument.

If so, Ponting would still be playing test cricket to this day.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Armchair expert » Tue May 16, 2023 8:26 pm

Archer ruled out of The Ashes series
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue May 16, 2023 8:41 pm

Yep Archer ruled out as England name their squad for the test against Ireland.

Almost unbelievably Ben Foakes has been dropped and Zak Crawley retains his spot which has already come with backlash online. Foakes is f**king stiff and Crawley is the luckiest bloke in England, more lucky than David Warner.

Ollie Pope has been named Vice Captain.

Ben Stokes (c), James Anderson, Jonathan Bairstow, Stuart Broad, Harry Brook, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Dan Lawrence, Jack Leach, Ollie Pope (vc), Matthew Potts, Ollie Robinson, Joe Root, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby batmanbegins » Wed May 17, 2023 11:34 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Yep Archer ruled out as England name their squad for the test against Ireland.

Almost unbelievably Ben Foakes has been dropped and Zak Crawley retains his spot which has already come with backlash online. Foakes is f**king stiff and Crawley is the luckiest bloke in England, more lucky than David Warner.

Ben Stokes (c), James Anderson, Jonathan Bairstow, Stuart Broad, Harry Brook, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Dan Lawrence, Jack Leach, Ollie Pope (vc), Matthew Potts, Ollie Robinson, Joe Root, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.

Spewing about Archer was hoping we could rotate him and Wood, especially if we are going to produce flat wickets.

The Foakes dropping is ridiculous, he added a solid dimension to that middle to lower order plus hes the best glovemen in the world. Bairstow has to play honestly I'd rather he just open for Crawley. Crawley will get demolished this ashes.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby RB » Thu May 18, 2023 8:42 am

Who do you reckon is likely to make more runs in the first test (assuming they both play), BB? Creepy or Warner? Of course a nil-all draw is a possibility.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby am Bays » Thu May 18, 2023 4:58 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Yep Archer ruled out as England name their squad for the test against Ireland.

I like how all the Australian pundits like Julian, Mark Waugh et al talk up Crawley as a class player and the POMs fall for it
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu May 18, 2023 5:36 pm

am Bays wrote:

I like how all the Australian pundits like Julian, Mark Waugh et al talk up Crawley as a class player and the POMs fall for it

I hope this comment ages well.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Aerie » Thu May 18, 2023 8:10 pm

Will this be the last Ashes where we’re seeing the best of Australia vs the best of England, before players head off to make their fortunes on the T20 franchise circuit?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Armchair expert » Thu May 18, 2023 8:14 pm

Aerie wrote:Will this be the last Ashes where we’re seeing the best of Australia vs the best of England, before players head off to make their fortunes on the T20 franchise circuit?

Hope not, I hate the IPL and pay no attention to it.
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu May 18, 2023 10:01 pm

am Bays wrote:

The Poms fall for it? Across social media the majority of English cricket fans have been wanting Crawley out of the team for a long time and now they're absolutely spitting chips Foakes has been dropped and yet Crawley remains in the team.
RB wrote:Who do you reckon is likely to make more runs in the first test (assuming they both play), BB? Creepy or Warner? Of course a nil-all draw is a possibility.

I've been thinking the same, what a match up we have to look forward to haha. I reckon Crawley is every chance to make a 80 off 60 balls in the first test looking a million dollars therefore shutting up his haters and cementing his spot for the rest of the series but go on to struggle for runs.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby batmanbegins » Sat May 20, 2023 10:35 pm

RB wrote:Who do you reckon is likely to make more runs in the first test (assuming they both play), BB? Creepy or Warner? Of course a nil-all draw is a possibility.

Warner comfortably. I personally think if we produce flat tracks as we want to that Warner will have a decent enough series. Crawley just has no substance unfortunately. Even Duckett has big questions about him opening in England as he's more of a middle order player in England but he deserves a crack.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun May 21, 2023 8:39 am

Sussex v Glamorgan on at the moment (Smith v Labuschagne).
Labuschagne made 138 overnight in Glamorgan's second innings as they made 5/499 to lead Sussex by 141 who made 481 in their first innings with Smith making 89.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Mon May 22, 2023 2:04 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Sussex v Glamorgan on at the moment (Smith v Labuschagne).
Labuschagne made 138 overnight in Glamorgan's second innings as they made 5/499 to lead Sussex by 141 who made 481 in their first innings with Smith making 89.

Neser ton

I'd have him open ahead of Warner
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon May 22, 2023 1:54 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Sussex v Glamorgan on at the moment (Smith v Labuschagne).

Neser ton

I'd have him open ahead of Warner

Glamorgan piled them on too, made 737 in their second innings with Neser being the last man out for 121 and the match ended in a draw. Smith dismissed Neser LBW.
https://www.theroar.com.au/cricket/vide ... sGKMbepmgo

Marcus Harris made 122* in Gloucestershire's second innings but they lost to Durham.
The Dark Knight
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket