NRL

Re: NRL

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:12 pm

Did anyone go to last nights State of Origin match at Adelaide Oval? I did and it was bloody awesome. The event organizers did an amazing job. Packed out stadium and the match itself was very elite. Queensland once again found a way to win.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:27 pm

Allan Langer, widely regarded as one of, if not the greatest halfback of all time somehow gets away with spending the whole game on the field carrying a water bottle and directing the Queensland team from the back. How do they get away with that year after year?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:32 pm

Booney wrote:Allan Langer, widely regarded as one of, if not the greatest halfback of all time somehow gets away with spending the whole game on the field carrying a water bottle and directing the Queensland team from the back. How do they get away with that year after year?
Yeah, I’m not too fussed with him doing it TBH. If you can get away with it good luck to them.
The difference in mentality between the two sides is the major reason why QLD win year after year. They bleed for their state and rate it as their greatest honour whereas the majority of NSW blokes couldn’t give a stuff about the result and a NRL Premiership is the be all and end all
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:46 pm

The NRL State of Origin series is the ideal platform for the AFL to look at. The NRL players regard pulling on a State of Origin jersey to be one of the highest honors in their playing career. The way the players play during those games with intensity and aggression. Even towards their own club teammate is so awesome to see. The AFL State of Origin back in days had very similar characteristics and if it wasn't for the individual AFL clubs against the State of Origin I believe we would still have it every year. Not only does it attract thousands of supporters to the game. The amount of money it generates is an absolute gold mine. I absolutely loved last nights game and I have been watching more NRL games than AFL games lately. The intensity. The tackles. The passion. These and so much more is attracting more people to watch the NRL than the AFL.

If the tackles and hits in last night's game were in the AFL. OMG there would be 20 blokes missing a game or 2 for reckless tackles lol. I know thats part of the NRL. But it also used to be in the AFL. And the tackles and big hits are what makes the NRL and the State of Origin such an attractive characteristic to get people to watch. Whereas in the AFL its making people less and less interested.
Last edited by Bombers4EVA on Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:51 pm

It simply isn't the same.

The NRL make no attempts to be the national game, the Storm are the only thing keeping it from being NSW/Qld exclusively.

The AFL SOO would only work if it was SA/Vic and the AFL will never take that path.

Forget it, it's dead in the water.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:28 pm

Booney wrote:It simply isn't the same.

The NRL make no attempts to be the national game, the Storm are the only thing keeping it from being NSW/Qld exclusively.

The AFL SOO would only work if it was SA/Vic and the AFL will never take that path.

Oh I know its dead mate. And i understand that the storm is just keeping it a NSW/QLD game. I'm just stating from watching last nights game live (as well as countless games on tv) of how good it is and how each player applies themselves in the games is just so amazing.

And you are right that it would only work if it was just VIC vs SA. But the AFL wont allow that. It just sucks that as a AFL supporter we don't have the chance now to watch a state of origin. I was fortunate enough to watch VIC vs SA at the MCG in 1995 and what a game that was to see so many legends of the game playing in a single match. And played with such passion and aggression even against their own club teammates. That game and so many more were marvels to watch. Just such a pity it stopped and died in the ass.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:32 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:

Oh I know its dead mate. And i understand that the storm is just keeping it a NSW/QLD game. I'm just stating from watching last nights game live (as well as countless games on tv) of how good it is and how each player applies themselves in the games is just so amazing.

And you are right that it would only work if it was just VIC vs SA. But the AFL wont allow that. It just sucks that as a AFL supporter we don't have the chance now to watch a state of origin. I was fortunate enough to watch VIC vs SA at the MCG in 1995 and what a game that was to see so many legends of the game playing in a single match. And played with such passion and aggression even against their own club teammates. That game and so many more were marvels to watch. Just such a pity it stopped and died in the ass.

Was also there that day in 1995. Bloody Cold! Yes they were different times, and now consider myself very fortunate to have seen it live at the ground.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:47 pm

Andrew John's has made a bold statement about dropping James Tedesco in game 2 and replace him with Latrell Mitchell at full back. Here's Andrew Johns game 2 side.

Potential Origin II alternative Blues team

1. Latrell Mitchell

2. Brian To'o

3. Campbell Graham

4. Tom Trbojevic

5. Josh Addo-Carr

6. Nicho Hynes

7. Nathan Cleary

8. Junior Paulo

9. Apisai Koroisau

10. Payne Haas

11. Tyson Frizell

12. Liam Martin

13. Isaah Yeo

14. Damien Cook

15. Cameron Murray

16. Hudson Young

17. Tevita Pangai Junior
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:51 pm

Cleary needs to play more than 1 good game every 6 if NSW are any chance. He was woeful last night
Jim05
Coach

Postby RB » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:06 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:

Oh I know its dead mate. And i understand that the storm is just keeping it a NSW/QLD game.

Well, the Storm and the Raiders, and the Warriors.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby cracka » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:36 pm

RB wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:

Oh I know its dead mate. And i understand that the storm is just keeping it a NSW/QLD game.

There was someone there last night with an Adelaide Rams (wrong code, I know) sign :D
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:41 pm

RB wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:

Canberra not NSW?

And the Warriors are a moot point when it comes to talking AFL / national game, we don't have a NZ foot print.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:42 pm

cracka wrote:There was someone there last night with an Adelaide Rams (wrong code, I know) sign :D

The Rams played league.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RB » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:49 pm

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:

Canberra not NSW?

And the Warriors are a moot point when it comes to talking AFL / national game, we don't have a NZ foot print.

No, Canberra is in the ACT.

Brought up Warriors to emphasize that rugby league is played far more widely than NSW and Qld. (could also have brought up the professional league in England).

Rep footy - both Origin and internationals - is a whole different dimension to rugby league. Contrast that with footy - one professional league and that's pretty much it.
RB
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:50 pm

cracka wrote:
RB wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:

There was someone there last night with an Adelaide Rams (wrong code, I know) sign :D
Rams were league.
In the next expansion rounds Adelaide are very high on the list and I wouldn’t be surprised if a team was based here within 10 years
Jim05
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:03 pm

Booney wrote:The AFL SOO would only work if it was SA/Vic and the AFL will never take that path. .

Conference style All Star game?

SA/TAS/NT/WA vs QLD/NSW/VIC
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:05 pm

RB wrote:

Brought up Warriors to emphasize that rugby league is played far more widely than NSW and Qld. (could also have brought up the professional league in England).

Rep footy - both Origin and internationals - is a whole different dimension to rugby league. Contrast that with footy - one professional league and that's pretty much it.

Oh come on. :lol:

There's 17 clubs, 15 of which are in NSW and Queensland, it's a two state game.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RB » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:11 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:The AFL SOO would only work if it was SA/Vic and the AFL will never take that path. .

Conference style All Star game?

SA/TAS/NT/WA vs QLD/NSW/VIC

Can't see that working. Either proper state v state, or don't bother IMO.
RB
Coach

Postby RB » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:18 pm

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:

Oh come on. :lol:

There's 17 clubs, 15 of which are in NSW and Queensland, it's a two state game.

I mean, I'm not going to argue with you. Wouldn't have thought anything in my post was controversial though.
RB
Coach

Postby cracka » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:20 pm

Booney wrote:
cracka wrote:There was someone there last night with an Adelaide Rams (wrong code, I know) sign :D

The Rams played league.

Oh yeah.
Got Super League & Super Rugby mixed up
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Rugby Union & League