Ashes 2023

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes 2023

Postby RB » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:18 pm

Wowee. Hopefully Moeen serves up some English pies for our batsmen.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:34 pm

Nathan Lyon licking his lips
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:45 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Nathan Lyon licking his lips
I was thinking this when I read the rumours of Ali making a comeback, has dismissed him 9 times in 11 matches and may help Lyon get to 500 wickets a little bit quicker.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby batmanbegins » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:03 pm

We are better of playing 4 quicks and having root as the spinner then playing Moeen. Moeen has been a quality player for England but he should never be the number 1 test spinner and he's shown he really struggles against Australia. Us wanting to produce flat tracks for the series seems stranger by the day.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:23 pm

Going to be really interesting to see the make up of the bowling attack for the Ashes.

I know he offers variety etc etc but just not sure how Starc will go this series. Went for close to 6 an over against the Indians who are not playing Bazball. Not sure variety is our best weapon against England......consistency of line and length wins the tests for mine. Look at the wicket of Bolands, a ball on a good line and length that just hit the seam and became unplayable.

I would be very tempted to play Cummins, Boland, Neser and Lyon and just test Englands patience.... lets get them switch hitting off a good line and length, lets seem some cross bat action from balls hitting the stumps.

Obviously Starc is a great one day bowler which potentially could translate to Bazball but I'm not convinced it will.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:32 pm

Starc will play due to point of difference if nothing else. Left arm, 150k, swinging new ball.. dangerous.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4001 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:39 pm

The Bedge wrote:Starc will play due to point of difference if nothing else. Left arm, 150k, swinging new ball.. dangerous.

Not so dangerous last night at all ;) :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:00 pm

Starc only played one test last time over there
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:45 pm

whufc wrote:Going to be really interesting to see the make up of the bowling attack for the Ashes.

I know he offers variety etc etc but just not sure how Starc will go this series. Went for close to 6 an over against the Indians who are not playing Bazball. Not sure variety is our best weapon against England......consistency of line and length wins the tests for mine. Look at the wicket of Bolands, a ball on a good line and length that just hit the seam and became unplayable.

I would be very tempted to play Cummins, Boland, Neser and Lyon and just test Englands patience.... lets get them switch hitting off a good line and length, lets seem some cross bat action from balls hitting the stumps.

Obviously Starc is a great one day bowler which potentially could translate to Bazball but I'm not convinced it will.

I understand your sentiment Whufc but like Bedge said Starc will play due to being the point of difference over Neser.

Yes Starc may be expensive but while I rate Neser as a very handy backup, can swing the ball both ways and is deadly when the conditions suit him at his pace I can see him being taken down quite easily by the English batters if there's no movement in the air and off the seam for him.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dinglinga75 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:04 pm

Starc playing also assists Lyon spinning into the rough at the other end
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:59 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:Going to be really interesting to see the make up of the bowling attack for the Ashes.

I understand your sentiment Whufc but like Bedge said Starc will play due to being the point of difference over Neser.

Yes Starc may be expensive but while I rate Neser as a very handy backup, can swing the ball both ways and is deadly when the conditions suit him at his pace I can see him being taken down quite easily by the English batters if there's no movement in the air and off the seam for him.

Im with WHUFC, Starc has never done anything in England and has never looked likely to. I have never been a Neser fan but he simply must play on his form in England in the lead up, Starc makes way imo, His batting the bonus
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:28 pm

batmanbegins wrote:We are better of playing 4 quicks and having root as the spinner then playing Moeen. Moeen has been a quality player for England but he should never be the number 1 test spinner and he's shown he really struggles against Australia. Us wanting to produce flat tracks for the series seems stranger by the day.

I really enjoy reading your posts, it’s great to get opinions from the other side of the fence, I’m a little different to most, I like all of the cricketing nations and love watching certain players from each country, I find the English team a very likeable bunch.

I rate Root as a spinner, he might not get bags but he bowls with his brain, very under utilised under his own captaincy.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby tigerpie » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:33 pm

The Bedge wrote:Starc will play due to point of difference if nothing else. Left arm, 150k, swinging new ball.. dangerous.

And the rough he creates for Lyon.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby whufc » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:48 pm

tigerpie wrote:

What if we happen to bowl first….then he’s creating rough for the opposition spinners.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:21 am

One innings into the tour and Starc hasn’t got the new ball.

0/65 at 6.43 am over this time.
whufc
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:25 pm

tigerpie wrote:

He hasnt created much rough this test because he's hardly bowled because hes bowling rubbish, going at 6s and doesnt look like taking a wicket. IMO the ashes will be lost before it gets started if we pick Starc in the first 2 tests before realising that hes no good, the selectors were happy to drop Head in India in a horses for course policy but the same isnt shown for bowlers from NSW in England. His bowling there is as bad as Warners batting.
We need to learn some lessons from this Final
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby batmanbegins » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:45 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
tigerpie wrote:

He hasnt created much rough this test because he's hardly bowled because hes bowling rubbish, going at 6s and doesnt look like taking a wicket. IMO the ashes will be lost before it gets started if we pick Starc in the first 2 tests before realising that hes no good, the selectors were happy to drop Head in India in a horses for course policy but the same isnt shown for bowlers from NSW in England. His bowling there is as bad as Warners batting.
We need to learn some lessons from this Final

Starc isn't really needed in england as pace isn't quite is relevant. If I were you I'd play Cummins, Boland and Hazlewood. With hazlewoods injury concerns you could probably play him 3 tests and starc the other 2. If it's a green seamer I personally would play Neser over starc. Either way it's a quality bowling line up and going to be fascinating watch us try to "bazball" it.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:27 am

Green gives us the luxury of playing Starc. Starc has proven he delivers more often than not, but if he doesn't, it's not such a risk with three other bowlers who can put it on a spot.

I think Hazlewood will have to bide his time until form or workload precludes one of the other bowlers from playing. We are lucky to have Neser as well and even Todd Murphy as back up for Lyon. It is a great bowling attack with plenty of depth, with Starc the point of difference.

An Ashes winter - sport doesn't get any better than at this time every 4 years.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 505 times

Postby Dinglinga75 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:24 pm

with the tight schedule. 5 tests in 6 weeks .. will this assist Australia with their bowling depth , how many tests will Anderson & Broad miss

if England continue with their bazball theory , their bowlers will have less recovery between innings
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:57 pm

Dinglinga75 wrote:with the tight schedule. 5 tests in 6 weeks .. will this assist Australia with their bowling depth , how many tests will Anderson & Broad miss

if England continue with their bazball theory , their bowlers will have less recovery between innings

I hope they both play the whole series, Jimmy is an outright legend of the game and Broad has stood the test of time to become a great, I’d rather beat their best side as it will complete a very demanding 6 months of cricket, we’ll be stronger for it in the long run.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket