Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:15 pm

Harry49 wrote:
Cricket Watcher wrote:Thoughts on the proposed Premier Cricket Junior structure?

I like the decision to remove red/white and the age groups look good and will free up some grounds on a Saturday which is an added bonus. However, the decision to play U17s on Sunday will have an impact on community clubs if Premier Clubs aren't organised. SACA seemed to have placed more importance on not clashing with college cricket as opposed to the impacts on community cricket.

It now places clubs like ours (Para Hills) in a bit of limbo with planning. We know we will lose at least 3 of our U16's to Premier Cricket and potentially a further 3-4 pending selection. We push all of our players to play the highest level possible so we aren't concerned that they will only play Premier Cricket at this age as we tend to lose them come time for them to move up to Seniors. But we need assurance that we will have enough time to plan. To help community clubs it would be ideal if Premier Clubs select their squads by mid-September so it gives Community Clubs enough time to understand what age groups they will be fielding for the upcoming season and whether or not they need to do last minute recruiting to make up the numbers potentially lost to the new SACA structure. We also don't know is if a Squad of 15 will be chosen for each age group and will the players not selected be encouraged to play for their community club? This will have a ripple effect as it will mean that players in the community club will need to make way for the non-selected premier players. Would be ideal to have some clarity on how this will be rolled out. We do appreciate the move of the U13's competition (Ray-Sutton Shield) to Saturdays as this will be less stressful for our U14's age groups having to squeeze in a match in the morning and then making their way to their Ray-Sutton game. Overall, a re-structure of the SACA Juniors is required and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

One thing I have provided feedback on to SACA is that at the very least these U17s selected to play Premier Cricket are able to nominate their grassroots club and be eligible to play in the SACA 150 Cup for their grassroots club. This keeps their community club connection which is extremely important for both the club and the individual.

Some excellent, very well made points here.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:50 pm

Cricket Watcher wrote:Thoughts on the proposed Premier Cricket Junior structure?

What's the new structure look like? My son would've been moving to 16's this year, hence the interest.

@cricket watcher
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Cricket Watcher » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:23 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

What's the new structure look like? My son would've been moving to 16's this year, hence the interest.

@cricket watcher

To stay the same this season with the addition of a Sunday 50 over u17 comp to allow kids eligible to play u17 who are playing seniors or school cricket on a Saturday to play.

4th grade to convert to u21 with two over agers ad mentors/captain etc.

Season 24/25, u13, u14 and u15 all on Saturday with the u17 Sunday. One team per age group (no whites) U13 Saturday comp to replace Ray Sutton

Think that's the main stuff
Cricket Watcher
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:26 pm

Cricket Watcher wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

@cricket watcher

To stay the same this season with the addition of a Sunday 50 over u17 comp to allow kids eligible to play u17 who are playing seniors or school cricket on a Saturday to play.

Season 24/25, u13, u14 and u15 all on Saturday with the u17 Sunday. One team per age group (no whites) U13 Saturday comp to replace Ray Sutton

Thanks.

So they'll go from 2 U14 and 2 U16 sides, to 1 13, 14, 15 side. At least that will take away from having bottom agers in each comp, except for 17's. Did they say anything about 2 day games vs 1 day games or a hybrid (noting that the 17's you say are likely to be 50 overs). I liked that my lad could have an opportunity to build an innings in a 2 day game and hope that continues.

Not that it affects me at all but the idea of an U21 side as a 4th grade is interesting. I wonder what will happen if all the eligible players are playing in other divs what will happen to that comp.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Cricket Watcher » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:29 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Cricket Watcher wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

@cricket watcher

Thanks.

So they'll go from 2 U14 and 2 U16 sides, to 1 13, 14, 15 side. At least that will take away from having bottom agers in each comp, except for 17's. Did they say anything about 2 day games vs 1 day games or a hybrid (noting that the 17's you say are likely to be 50 overs). I liked that my lad could have an opportunity to build an innings in a 2 day game and hope that continues.

Not that it affects me at all but the idea of an U21 side as a 4th grade is interesting. I wonder what will happen if all the eligible players are playing in other divs what will happen to that comp.

U13 - 40 overs
U14 & u15 - mix of 2 day, 1 day and t20
U17 - 50 overs
Cricket Watcher
Mini-League

Postby Bluedemon » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:51 pm

Is there somewhere that you can read the proposed grades?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Cricket Watcher » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:07 pm

Bluedemon wrote:Is there somewhere that you can read the proposed grades?

It has been sent to clubs for consultation
Cricket Watcher
Mini-League

Postby Cricket Watcher » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:00 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Cricket Watcher wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

@cricket watcher

Thanks.

Further to this, it's not about bottom agers playing up, that is a good thing, it's about top agers playing in whites. They are more than likely not going to be playing high level cricket and will better suited at a community club. This is where community clubs will win as there will be smaller squads in PC juniors. I think it's a win win long term but more importantly and win for Premier Cricket. There's always transitional teething issues.
Cricket Watcher
Mini-League

Postby heater31 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:32 am

Cricket Watcher wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Cricket Watcher wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:[quote="Cricket Watcher"]Thoughts on the proposed Premier Cricket Junior structure?

@cricket watcher

Thanks.

Further to this, it's not about bottom agers playing up, that is a good thing, it's about top agers playing in whites. They are more than likely not going to be playing high level cricket and will better suited at a community club. This is where community clubs will win as there will be smaller squads in PC juniors. I think it's a win win long term but more importantly and win for Premier Cricket. There's always transitional teething issues.[/quote]ATCA clubs won't see it that way....their Sunday U/17's are now runied
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:22 am

Seems like good choices, especially the U17's playing Sunday's.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Harry49 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:38 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Cricket Watcher wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

@cricket watcher

Thanks.

I don't understand the rationale of having an U21 as a 4th Grade. All of the talented 19+ year olds would be playing 1 XI or 2 XI Premier Cricket. What percentage of 18–21-year-olds who start in D Grade Premier Cricket make their way to 1 XI or 2 XI cricket? It's already hard enough for some Premier Clubs to fill a D Grade side let alone forcing them to pick a certain age bracket.

Personally, i think they should just remove 4th Grade altogether which would open the door for ground sharing with a community club and share expenses, could possibly provide a platform for relationship building between a Premier Club and Community Club.
Harry49
Rookie

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:10 am

Totally agree with Harry49, D Grade should be gone altogether :shock:
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:23 am

If anything might see the opposite happen in that kids who are up to Grade 3 maybe even Grade 2 standard are forced to play Grade 4 to make up the U/21 requirement.

A talented u/21 isnt going to be happy with that i understand but there is a fair chance he would then just get to play with his mates.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Cricket Watcher » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:25 pm

Pretty sure the SACA objective is to get the best u17 kids playing against the best, Surely that's better than them playing community cricket on a Sunday for easy runs and wickets. I would imagine will be more enjoyable for that genuine community cricketer who doesn't fancy facing up against a kid who has played senior PC on Saturday.
Who knows, more kids might come out and play community cricket if they know they wont have some gun who played PC A/B grade the day before.

Also to add the u21 comp would be opt in.

No u16 will result in more kids for the u21 and no u16 whites will most like lead to more for community cricket.

Just my thoughts
Cricket Watcher
Mini-League

Postby Aerie » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:57 pm

The opt-in is good. D Grade was, or should be, pretty much under 21 anyway. If you remove D Grade, the C Grade becomes the fill in side where you’re scratching for numbers.

In some other states the U17 season is shortened. Presuming to start after exams and give a taste of senior cricket so the transition is easily made.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Harry49 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:09 pm

Cricket Watcher wrote:Pretty sure the SACA objective is to get the best u17 kids playing against the best, Surely that's better than them playing community cricket on a Sunday for easy runs and wickets. I would imagine will be more enjoyable for that genuine community cricketer who doesn't fancy facing up against a kid who has played senior PC on Saturday.
Who knows, more kids might come out and play community cricket if they know they wont have some gun who played PC A/B grade the day before.

Also to add the u21 comp would be opt in.

No u16 will result in more kids for the u21 and no u16 whites will most like lead to more for community cricket.

Just my thoughts

I'm supportive of the move with the U17s and want our juniors to play the highest level possible, there just needs to be consideration on deadlines to select squads so the Community Clubs know what numbers they have. My fear is that Premier Clubs will name the squads close to the start of the season and Community Clubs who may have been anticipating numbers for one or 2 teams are left short and scrambling for players which doesn't provide a great experience for the players at community cricket level.
We will also need to factor in the possible impact of a player being picked for Premier Cricket and leaving their best mate in Community Cricket which may result in two players no longer playing for the club. Hence the need for these junior squads to be picked as early as possible for the best cricket outcome.
Harry49
Rookie

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Bluedemon » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:02 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Totally agree with Harry49, D Grade should be gone altogether :shock:

Agree as well, D Grade is not needed.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Port Pirie Power » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:51 pm

Agree with the points about getting rid of the D Grade altogether however then doesn’t the C grade face pretty much the same issue. Players who play D grade wouldn’t hang around and then the C grade faces the same problems.

If they wanted to really get serious then could they not have a similar setup to the SANFL? 1st and 2nd Grade then various underage teams which don’t necessarily have to be the same as SANFL. Players not selected in the 1st and 2nd grade could then play Turf Cricket for clubs that their district club potentially have ties with?

Clubs would need less ovals meaning less costs and then potentially put more money into community cricket making that better as well? Could be a stretch getting turf clubs to agree.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:26 pm

Conor McInerney to Glenelg confirmed, excellent get for them.

Woodville in world of pain losing all these guns if they don’t recruit any players of note :shock:
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby Port Pirie Power » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:13 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Conor McInerney to Glenelg confirmed, excellent get for them.

Woodville in world of pain losing all these guns if they don’t recruit any players of note :shock:

Big loss for them.

Saw they recruited a batter from Sydney/Darwin - not sure he is as good as McInerney though
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps