Ashes 2023

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes 2023

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:27 pm

Bugger - I fell asleep around 2.35

A tale of two 3 x #11's

Warner 9+36
Labuschagne 0+13
Smith 16+6
Total Score for the game: 80 runs Ave: 13.33

Lyon 1 + 16*
Boland 0 + 20
Hazlewood 1* + DNB*
Total Score for the game: 38 runs Ave: 19.00

What a fantastic Test
I love Bazzball - actually trying to win Tests
This probably would have been a draw otherwise
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby stan » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:52 pm

whufc wrote:All eyes will be on the pitch for the second test.

Keeping in mind England were destroyed in Oz and didn't come close. They had their chances to win this test. In saying that it was our best performance in England in many years so you could make a case either way as to whether the pitch somewhat helped England or not.

Can they risk creating a green top which helps their batting but make Bazball even more riskier than it already is.

I'm not sure they are going to get the balance right between the pitches that help bazball vs pitches to beat Australia.
I reckon its a chance they look at traditional English pitches going forward. Bring Anderson back into the fold in a big way.

There is a risk of course that our pacers cut them up as well.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:10 pm

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/eng- ... es-1382585
Australia and England have both been penalised for slow over-rates in the first Ashes Test at Edgbaston losing two World Test Championship [WTC] points each while players from both sides have been fined 40% of their match fees.

Match referee Andy Pycroft ruled that both teams were two overs short of their targets after time allowances were factored in. Teams are docked one WTC point, and 20% of their match fee for each over they are short of their target. Both captains, Pat Cummins and Ben Stokes, accepted the sanctions.

There were just 82 overs bowled on day one of the Test, with Australia only bowling 78 before England declared and bowled four overs before stumps. England did bowl 90 overs on the second day, utilising the extra half-hour to do so. Rain affected both the third and the fifth day of the Test match, but England were deemed short of their targets on those days.

The penalties mean England are on negative two points after losing their opening Test of the new WTC cycle, while Australia are on ten points, having accrued 12 for their dramatic two-wicket victory.

Australia were fined 80% of their match fees in the WTC final at the Oval two weeks ago for slow over-rates. They also missed a spot at the 2021 WTC final in Southampton due to being docked crucial WTC points for slow over-rates in that cycle.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:20 pm

stan wrote:
whufc wrote:All eyes will be on the pitch for the second test.

Keeping in mind England were destroyed in Oz and didn't come close. They had their chances to win this test. In saying that it was our best performance in England in many years so you could make a case either way as to whether the pitch somewhat helped England or not.

Can they risk creating a green top which helps their batting but make Bazball even more riskier than it already is.

I'm not sure they are going to get the balance right between the pitches that help bazball vs pitches to beat Australia.
I reckon its a chance they look at traditional English pitches going forward. Bring Anderson back into the fold in a big way.

There is a risk of course that our pacers cut them up as well.

The preparation of an Aussie style pitch is what baffled me the most. They havent really got close to Australia in Australian conditions, Anderson has been a pie chucker in Australia.

They would be better off rolling the dice on a traditional English wicket and backing their attacking style to make a risky 200-250 through positive batting and hoping the Aussies cant cope with the swing and seam in our more cautious approach. The get runs before you get a good one approach!

It will be 5-0 if they serve up more of those pitches. We had the disadvantage of batting 2nd and bowling 1st. Lyon was good but less effective by having to bowl first, They had the best of the conditions all round and still couldnt get the W. If we batted first it wouldve been a couple 100 run victory. Considering the contributions from the best 3 bats in the world was non existent its a huge win.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:23 pm

Screenshot_20230621_182247_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230621_182247_Instagram.jpg (61.47 KiB) Viewed 854 times
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:39 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Wow.
They are some huge balls Cummins has.
When Carey got out, 8 down, 55 needed and 20 overs left I thought we'd play out for a draw. But the way he attacked without doing anything reckless was an awesome effort and nerves of steel.

Bazball v the Aussies way? Either way, in the end quality will win out, which we saw with Root and Khawaja's batting and Lyon's bowling.

I was lucky enough to wake up when we needed 15. So good to watch. Seeing Gaz play that attacking shot over mid on cover area was awesome

The noise of Carey getting out woke me up, great timing
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:23 pm

locky801 wrote:Test cricket at it's best

No road as such to bat on, something in the wicket for everyone

Overall only 2 batters really got in, Usi for us and Joe for England, plenty of others got starts but didn't go on.

The importance of the Carey knock in the 1st innings was of great importance

5 days of top notch cricket, going down to the wire late in the last session for the result

Now to catch up on some long lost sleep before the 2nd test

Very much an Adelaide oval pitch before drop ins.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby batmanbegins » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:13 pm

The more I think about it the more brutal this loss could be for us. Smith and Marnus completely neutralised, our best bat dominated, Broady was excellent, we had the best of the conditions and we still lost. On pitches like this we have to be perfect to beat you and I thought for the most part we were really solid but the drop catches, broad bowling Uzzi off a no ball and a couple soft dismissals just cost us.

If you compare the two sides it's really only root that you can say would actually make the Australian side, you would probably argue Stikes is still slightly ahead of Green and Broady may take Bolands place but to me the Australian side is simply better.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:31 pm

batmanbegins wrote:The more I think about it the more brutal this loss could be for us. Smith and Marnus completely neutralised, our best bat dominated, Broady was excellent, we had the best of the conditions and we still lost. On pitches like this we have to be perfect to beat you and I thought for the most part we were really solid but the drop catches, broad bowling Uzzi off a no ball and a couple soft dismissals just cost us.

If you compare the two sides it's really only root that you can say would actually make the Australian side, you would probably argue Stikes is still slightly ahead of Green and Broady may take Bolands place but to me the Australian side is simply better.

All things being equal I think you batted about 10 overs short in the second innings.
Blokes trying to slog good balls just looked over the top for mine.
You could've milked 40/50 more runs easily which would've been a more difficult task.
Great game to watch.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby batmanbegins » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:36 pm

tigerpie wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:The more I think about it the more brutal this loss could be for us. Smith and Marnus completely neutralised, our best bat dominated, Broady was excellent, we had the best of the conditions and we still lost. On pitches like this we have to be perfect to beat you and I thought for the most part we were really solid but the drop catches, broad bowling Uzzi off a no ball and a couple soft dismissals just cost us.

All things being equal I think you batted about 10 overs short in the second innings.
Blokes trying to slog good balls just looked over the top for mine.
You could've milked 40/50 more runs easily which would've been a more difficult task.
Great game to watch.

Yeah agreed. The positivity we play with has been good in the sense it causes the field to spread but where we haven't fully adapted is we keep trying to hir boundaries whereas if you look at what root did on day 1 he just manipulated the field. Against this Australian team you can't just whack them as they are to good.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:35 am

I’d have Broad in the Australian side in a heart beat
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:58 am

am Bays wrote:I’d have Broad in the Australian side in a heart beat

Interested in who you'd drop.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:18 am

take from this test is that -
1. Anyone who says test cricket is dead is a moron.
2. People who say T20 is better or the future are imbeciles.
3. Gaz is the most likeable person in cricket.
4. Cummins performance is one that won't be forgotten for sometime.
5. Ollie Robinson is one of the biggest flogs in the history of all sport...
6. Scott Bolands 20 was absolutely massive
Bring on Lords
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:53 am

tigerpie wrote:

Boland or Heazelwood
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:06 am

am Bays wrote:
tigerpie wrote:

Boland or Heazelwood

Broad is a good bowler sure, but I think Boland and Hazelwood keep their spots.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:13 am

woodublieve12 wrote:take from this test is that -
1. Anyone who says test cricket is dead is a moron.
2. People who say T20 is better or the future are imbeciles.
3. Gaz is the most likeable person in cricket.
4. Cummins performance is one that won't be forgotten for sometime.
5. Ollie Robinson is one of the biggest flogs in the history of all sport...
6. Scott Bolands 20 was absolutely massive
Bring on Lords

Agree except for No. 3
He’s got a bit of ‘look at me’ about him which he never use to have.
Modesty goes a long way still for me.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:14 am

am Bays wrote:
tigerpie wrote:

Boland or Heazelwood

Broad’s record speaks for itself.
He’s still up there with Cummins for me.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:21 am

Brodlach wrote:First played 2005 and still a bowler that is hard to combat, remarkable career

Hey Brodlach,

Bit off topic but is it true your son is being mentored by one of the best administrators in sport in this country. What an unbelievable development opportunity if true. He will be CEO by the time he is 30.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 848 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:02 pm

Or a Schnitty expert....
am Bays
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:19 pm

Are we expecting any changes to the team next test...?

Potentially Starc comes back in as part of the rotation. I know England got to 390 odd but i think the bowling attack did a great job, if it wasn't for Roots first innings Englands batting was bang average.

Annoyingly Warner will have done just enough to keep the selectors at bay so will need to put up with him for another test.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket