Ashes 2023

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes 2023

Postby whufc » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:50 am

stampy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Get the violin out Jimmy
Better speak to your skipper and the ECB if you don’t want doctored pitches

“It’s a long series and hopefully I can contribute at some point, but if all the pitches are like that I’m done in the Ashes series.”

poor jimmy getn too old and needs all the conditions in his favour to make a contribution, time to retire me thinks

That will be his legacy a tad imo (especially his longevity)

Goes down as a great of the game undoubtedly but for me he and just like Starc will probably sit below the Glenn McGraths, Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Alan Donalds due to the fact they really needed conditions in their favorable to be really valuable. The others mentioned you would take anywhere, anytime.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Ashes 2023

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:19 pm

stampy wrote:

“It’s a long series and hopefully I can contribute at some point, but if all the pitches are like that I’m done in the Ashes series.”

poor jimmy getn too old and needs all the conditions in his favour to make a contribution, time to retire me thinks
I think he is a bit soft but to be fair Broad also complained about the pitch.
Definitely would be an interesting conversation between their two great bowlers and Stokes and/or the ECB.
We haven’t won a Ashes series for donkeys years under their conditions and suddenly they have put up conditions that favour us
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:25 pm

Jim05 wrote:
stampy wrote:

I think he is a bit soft but to be fair Broad also complained about the pitch.
Definitely would be an interesting conversation between their two great bowlers and Stokes and/or the ECB.
We haven’t won a Ashes series for donkeys years under their conditions and suddenly they have put up conditions that favour us

What makes it more interesting is that it was documented Stokes forced the ECB to bring back Broad and Anderson has part of his agreement to Captain.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:02 pm

I still like that they are trying to win instead of trying not to lose

Time will tell whether it was worthwhile
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby RB » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:33 pm

https://wisden.com/series-stories/ashes ... -australia

I don't really know how to summarise this article by Ollie Robinson except that I thought it was satire at first.

Apparently he reckons Australia need to change their approach lol.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:42 pm

RB wrote:https://wisden.com/series-stories/ashes-2023/ollie-robinson-we-were-surprised-by-australia

I don't really know how to summarise this article by Ollie Robinson except that I thought it was satire at first.

:lol: “If it wasn’t for us, the Australians wouldn’t have even had a chance”

“It feels we’ve won, lads”

“We’ve entertained the world & put the Aussies on the back foot” :lol:

What a bunch of clueless naval gazers.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby tigerpie » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:04 pm

Spargo wrote:
RB wrote:https://wisden.com/series-stories/ashes-2023/ollie-robinson-we-were-surprised-by-australia

He's definitely a window licker for sure.
Some really bizarre comments. " It feels we've won lads".
That's not what the scorebook says ya silly soap dodger.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:09 pm

I'm not going to complain about him giving a send off, but FMD - Ussie just made 141! Pretty dumb!

There are so may comments in that column that leaves him open
I loved this one: "We were surprised by how unwilling Australia were to go toe-to-toe with us"

Is that the same bloke that backed away so hard in Hobart that he was almost sitting in the crowd?

Very entertaining stuff.

I love the Ashes
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:50 pm

He actually reminds me of Andre Nel when he played for South Africa. An average paced and overly aggressive dickhead who’s greatest contribution is poking the bear and getting the best out of the opposition.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:02 pm

Spargo wrote:

In fairness Brendan McCullum is only reiterating the same words that would have been said to every Test cricketer from NZ since 1993 in all bar one Test.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby stan » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:47 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:I'm not going to complain about him giving a send off, but FMD - Ussie just made 141! Pretty dumb!

I loved this one: "We were surprised by how unwilling Australia were to go toe-to-toe with us"

Is that the same bloke that backed away so hard in Hobart that he was almost sitting in the crowd?

Very entertaining stuff.

I love the Ashes
Interesting colum. He's clearly bit of a flog but he didn't perform thst badly in the first test. This was his contribution:

17* and 3/55 (22)
27 and 2/43 (18.3)

That's not horrendous to be honest. But he does lack fitness for longer spells but he did contribute.

Interesting to see what they dish up for Lords. I reckon Anderson is done if they put out a flat deck.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby batmanbegins » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:28 pm

stan wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:I'm not going to complain about him giving a send off, but FMD - Ussie just made 141! Pretty dumb!

Very entertaining stuff.

I love the Ashes
Interesting colum. He's clearly bit of a flog but he didn't perform thst badly in the first test. This was his contribution:

17* and 3/55 (22)
27 and 2/43 (18.3)

That's not horrendous to be honest. But he does lack fitness for longer spells but he did contribute.

Interesting to see what they dish up for Lords. I reckon Anderson is done if they put out a flat deck.

Robinson is a bit of a moron but he's a quality bowler. People see the pace and think he's just a plodder but he really hits the deck with his height and causes issues. He better keep backing up his shit talk or it will not go well for him.

I'll always back Jimmy so I'm biased but not many blokes have been the best bowler in a series win in India and Australia like he has. Since 2011 he's been a really good overseas bowler. Broad is actually the one that struggles overseas.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:29 pm

whufc wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:I'd play Neser over Starc would also booster the batting. Starcball v Bazball could be 4/29 (8) or 0/119 (10)

Depends on what the poms do though, they might juice the tracks up a bit, wait until they name their team first.

If Neser plays and the ball doesn't swing he'll be cannon fodder for the Pommy bats, who'll continue to blaze away. Starc leaks runs, but he's a proven wicket taker and he'll provide some rough for Lyon. The one I'm concerned about backing up is Hazlewood. He wasnt ready to play in the WTC final, so I doubt he's physically ready to back up in consecutive tests. Cummins, Starc, Boland and Lyon for me.

What happens if we lose the toss and bat last? Starcs footmarks have then hurt us right. Moen Ali is absolute rubbish, the only way he comes into the game is if there is footmarks for him to work into.

Starc doesnt bowl enough overs to help Lyon, i dont think this should be part of the thinking at all. Starc doesnt offer anything in English conditions, it doesnt matter if they are bowler friendly or not, he has never succeeded over there, IMO he is no5 in the pecking order and only plays through injury to the other 4. The best we can hope for is if our left handers in particular Warner bat long as the English quicks almost solely operate around the wicket to him.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby stan » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:00 pm

batmanbegins wrote:
stan wrote:

Very entertaining stuff.

I love the Ashes

17* and 3/55 (22)
27 and 2/43 (18.3)

Robinson is a bit of a moron but he's a quality bowler. People see the pace and think he's just a plodder but he really hits the deck with his height and causes issues. He better keep backing up his shit talk or it will not go well for him.

I'll always back Jimmy so I'm biased but not many blokes have been the best bowler in a series win in India and Australia like he has. Since 2011 he's been a really good overseas bowler. Broad is actually the one that struggles overseas.
Also look to struggle later in the piece but he might just have needed thr run.

Anderson is a fantastic bowler but these flat deck will break him. Put a bit of love and tickle in the deck for Jimmy and you'll kill us.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby batmanbegins » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:56 pm

stan wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:
stan wrote:

Very entertaining stuff.

I love the Ashes

17* and 3/55 (22)
27 and 2/43 (18.3)

Also look to struggle later in the piece but he might just have needed thr run.

Anderson is a fantastic bowler but these flat deck will break him. Put a bit of love and tickle in the deck for Jimmy and you'll kill us.

His fitness has got better since the ashes here when he just completey fell away but it is a concern that his 2nd and 3rd spells start so slowly. He won't get better advice on fitness then from Jimmy and Broady so he should probably seek some advice.

Yeah I just dont think you can pick Jimmy on flat wickets anymore, the blokes 40 and you may aswell save him for some green seamers. Stokes may kill his career if he wants flat wickets though.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:52 pm

Rehan Ahmed has been added to England's squad.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/the- ... li-1383281
Rehan Ahmed, the 18-year-old Leicestershire legspinner who claimed a memorable five-wicket haul on his Test debut in Karachi last year, has been added to England's Test squad as cover for Moeen Ali, whose performance at Edgbaston was hampered by a blistered spinning finger.

Rehan's call-up comes after limited success for Leicestershire in this year's County Championship - he's so far claimed just six wickets at 67.66 in ten outings. However, he has made his presence felt for his county with the bat instead, with 423 runs at 38.45, including four half-centuries and a best of 90 against Glamorgan.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby DOC » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:38 pm

At Trent Bridge.

Annabell Sutherland who was averaging 9 as a bat in test cricket and came in at number 8 is currently 121*.

Aus 8/452
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby DOC » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:02 am

Ends up 137*

All out 473
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby mal » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:37 am

Too early to write off Jimmy after 1 test in this series
Im prepared to give him 1 or 2 more test before judging
Never underestimate a champ, and Jimmy is a champ
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby mal » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:28 am

England 1/106
This match looks like going deep
Australia extremely unlikely to lose- Gardner bats 7 Sutherland bats 8 great depth and will set up a safe lead
Might be up to the spin queens Gardner and King on day 5 to bowl Australia to a late victory

Mens cricket
Zac Crawley predicts England will beat Australia by exZACtly 150 runs next test
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket