AFL Season 2023

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Season 2023

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:46 pm

Great to see so many South Aussies recognised, was a great watch for someone growing up with SANFL in the 80's.

Rapt for Corey Enright also, such a great human, some of the non publicised stuff he did for a family close to us was unbelievable.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:16 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:not sure how many best and fairest Bruce McAvaney won?

But seriously,

305 games
Brownlow Medal: 2007
Norm Smith Medal: 2011
3x AFL Premiership: 2007, 2009, 2011
2x All-Australian Team: 2007, 2008

Won a Brownlow in a premiership season... greatness sometimes isn't just defined by awards. Which he won the most important ones. Norm smith, premiership and Brownlow. Bartel has achieved more than the players you mentioned. He was a excellent ambassador for our game.
Everyone who was inducted were great choices. All deserving

Weak attempt with the Bruce troll...

So, being an ambassador now gets you into the HOF? Winning the Brownlow is exactly the point I made comparing him with Priddis & Cooney, sometimes there's an anomaly to that gong. Didn't win the AFL MVP though, which is voted by your peers. He's barely won more personal awards.

The AA teams I'll give him, even if it's just 2. Premierships are the by product of playing in great teams, not being a great player. Cam Mooney is a 3 time premiership player, by your logic is he deserving of the HOF too? Also won an AA blazer.
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:19 pm

MW wrote:Beaten to B&F by Scarlett, Ablett, Selwood, Hawkins, Danger...

The only knock on him for me is he shouldnt be inducted so quickly, but deserves it nonetheless

And I reckon they all deserve to be in the HOF. There's no shame being in the Hall of Very Good, which I reckon that's where Jimmy sits.

For Bartel to go in before someone like Dustin Fletcher is embarrassing.
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:33 pm

wenchbarwer wrote:

The only knock on him for me is he shouldnt be inducted so quickly, but deserves it nonetheless

And I reckon they all deserve to be in the HOF. There's no shame being in the Hall of Very Good, which I reckon that's where Jimmy sits.

2× AFL premiership: 1993, 2000
2× AFL pre-season premiership: 1994, 2000
2× All-Australian team: 2000, 2007
Crichton Medal: 2000
1993 AFL Rising Star: nominee

One B&F and no MVP voted by his peers and no norm smiths. No brownlow. Same amount of all australians. Unsure how your argument stands up. But I'd definitely have no issue if fletcher went in. same as i don't have an issue with Bartel going in.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:35 pm

wenchbarwer wrote:

But seriously,

305 games

Won a Brownlow in a premiership season... greatness sometimes isn't just defined by awards. Which he won the most important ones. Norm smith, premiership and Brownlow. Bartel has achieved more than the players you mentioned. He was a excellent ambassador for our game.

So, being an ambassador now gets you into the HOF? Winning the Brownlow is exactly the point I made comparing him with Priddis & Cooney, sometimes there's an anomaly to that gong. Didn't win the AFL MVP though, which is voted by your peers. He's barely won more personal awards.

The AA teams I'll give him, even if it's just 2. Premierships are the by product of playing in great teams, not being a great player. Cam Mooney is a 3 time premiership player, by your logic is he deserving of the HOF too? Also won an AA blazer.

No, but being a person who doesn't even play does. Again i am all for Bruce being inducted. Massive fan.
Bartel won a brownlow and a norm smith. Mooney didn't.
Did Geelong hurt you as a child??
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:25 pm

It was a great night for SA football, last night. All very worthy inclusions in the HOF.

When they announced Leahy's name I had a thought that he was an old North player. It was interesting to hear of his pathway, back in those days. A very young league player for West, before moving to North. I am unsure if war years were involved, but I suspect so. I may have missed that part last night if it was mentioned. Then on to coach at Norwood. The other interesting piece to come out of Leahy's induction, was he lived at "Football House". I had never heard of this establishment. Does any one on here have any knowledge of this part of SA Footy history?

Sam Mitchell & James Bartel, no issue with them going straight in. Who from Hawthorn & Geelong will follow in time? FWIW - Hawthorn - Hodge, Franklin, then maybe a Lewis & Roughead. For Geelong - Ablett Jnr, Selwood, probably Hawkins, and by the time he is done J. Cameron too.

Bruce McAveny, richly deserved recognition. Can't help but think Gerard Whately has become the new Bruce.

Enjoyed Cory Enright's induction speech. I assume he is related to Bob "Blazer" Enright?

Michael Aish, probably the best balanced footballer I've seen.

Mark Williams, continues the family legacy. I'm no Port fan, but you've got to respect & admire the Williams families contribution to the game.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby wenchbarwer » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:28 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
wenchbarwer wrote:

But seriously,

305 games

No, but being a person who doesn't even play does. Again i am all for Bruce being inducted. Massive fan.

What are you, 10 years old? Jesus, champ, haven't heard "wit" like that since the last school drop-off...

Great you pointed out Fletcher's accolades. An actual B&F in a premiership year, no less. Yet, is still waiting for induction. Yet old Captain Ambassador gets in before him. Maybe he would be deserving in 5 or so year's time, when it's a slow year.

I'm not sure what Bruce has got to do with this. Being a god-tier commentator doesn't have much in common with being a very good footballer, which is what old Jimmy is.
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:36 pm

wenchbarwer wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
wenchbarwer wrote:

But seriously,

305 games

What are you, 10 years old? Jesus, champ, haven't heard "wit" like that since the last school drop-off...

Great you pointed out Fletcher's accolades. An actual B&F in a premiership year, no less. Yet, is still waiting for induction. Yet old Captain Ambassador gets in before him. Maybe he would be deserving in 5 or so year's time, when it's a slow year.

I'm not sure what Bruce has got to do with this. Being a god-tier commentator doesn't have much in common with being a very good footballer, which is what old Jimmy is.

Just champed me :lol: :lol:

You literally got the sooks on cause i disagreed with you. I agree, fletcher should be in too. And winning a B&F isn't higher than a brownlow or norm smith. Either way champ, i am pretty sure Bartel is a much deserving inductee...
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:56 pm

Corona Man wrote:It was a great night for SA football, last night. All very worthy inclusions in the HOF.

When they announced Leahy's name I had a thought that he was an old North player. It was interesting to hear of his pathway, back in those days. A very young league player for West, before moving to North. I am unsure if war years were involved, but I suspect so. I may have missed that part last night if it was mentioned. Then on to coach at Norwood. The other interesting piece to come out of Leahy's induction, was he lived at "Football House". I had never heard of this establishment. Does any one on here have any knowledge of this part of SA Footy history?

Sam Mitchell & James Bartel, no issue with them going straight in. Who from Hawthorn & Geelong will follow in time? FWIW - Hawthorn - Hodge, Franklin, then maybe a Lewis & Roughead. For Geelong - Ablett Jnr, Selwood, probably Hawkins, and by the time he is done J. Cameron too.

Bruce McAveny, richly deserved recognition. Can't help but think Gerard Whately has become the new Bruce.

Enjoyed Cory Enright's induction speech. I assume he is related to Bob "Blazer" Enright?

Michael Aish, probably the best balanced footballer I've seen.

Mark Williams, continues the family legacy. I'm no Port fan, but you've got to respect & admire the Williams families contribution to the game.

Corey Enright is the nephew of Bob Enright, family all came from KImba. Corey seems like a ripping lad, no wonder as Bob was the nicest bloke going around (RIP Blazer).
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby mots02 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:01 pm

RIP Matt Rendell

mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:19 pm

wenchbarwer wrote:

bwhahahahaha. No mate the only person you are embarrassing is yourself. Bartel is a gun get a clue. That's gotta be you right Daisy :D

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:20 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
wenchbarwer wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:AFL Hall of Fame:

Sam Mitchell
Tom Leahy
Jimmy Bartel
Corey Enright
Michael Aish
Bruce McAvaney
Mark Williams

Graham Cornes be pretty pleased with himself as member of the selection panel, plenty of SA representative for once :D

Should be in the Hall of Very Good, not Hall of Fame. 1 Brownlow, 2 AA nods, one glorified best on ground medal. That's it for personal accolades. Career isn't any better than Cooney, Priddis or Woewodin, none of those are HOF worthy.

Surely this is a poor attempt at trolling??? This can't be serious.

Imp account with a piss week troll. I ******* hate school holidays.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:09 pm

RIP Matt :(

disappointing no acknowledgement by the Crows
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:12 pm

Dutchy wrote:RIP Matt :(

Yeah, some real good tributes from the football community but nothing from the Crows yet which is disappointing
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby DOC » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:25 pm

They posted more than 6 hours ago.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:32 pm

DOC wrote:They posted more than 6 hours ago.

nothing on their website
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby DOC » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:46 pm

Twitter.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby MW » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:RIP Matt :(

Not the ideal time for point scoring against other clubs mate
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:22 am

Interesting statement from Wubbsy that a Brownlow is a higher accolade than a B&F. You do realise the Brownlow is voted on by those same umpires that umpired the 2016 Grand Final :D
I think its an interesting argument, i certainly rate a B&F in a premiership season higher than a Brownlow, Brownlows are purely for midfielders and voted for by the very people we all claim have no fricken idea. B&F's can be won by anyone in the club. I think Gibson won 2 at the Hawks.
When you go to the other end of the spectrum at a struggling club where there is only one star and he racks up B&F's thats clearly no where near a Brownlow.
I think i would lean to rating Fletchers 2000 season better than Bartels 2007 season
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:49 am

daysofourlives wrote:Interesting statement from Wubbsy that a Brownlow is a higher accolade than a B&F. You do realise the Brownlow is voted on by those same umpires that umpired the 2016 Grand Final :D
I think its an interesting argument, i certainly rate a B&F in a premiership season higher than a Brownlow, Brownlows are purely for midfielders and voted for by the very people we all claim have no fricken idea. B&F's can be won by anyone in the club. I think Gibson won 2 at the Hawks.
When you go to the other end of the spectrum at a struggling club where there is only one star and he racks up B&F's thats clearly no where near a Brownlow.
I think i would lean to rating Fletchers 2000 season better than Bartels 2007 season

Fletcher>Bartel
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL