Ashes 2023

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes 2023

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:03 pm

So what’s the difference between ball 6 of the over or ball 2? Carey threw the ball in one motion as the caught the ball. There was no time between him taking the ball and throwing it.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:03 pm

Honestly, if a bowler bowls a delivering, batsman ducks, then just call **** over straight up - then you don't need to worry about it.

I think the only way i'd change the rule would be similar to the running leg byes when no shot is offered.. if no shot is offered then you shouldn't be allowed to either run or be run out / stumped.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:05 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:If the rules need to be changed it would be pretty simple.

For a batsman to be given out he needs to be gaining either a batting advantage or attempting a run. That would cover both batsmen running down the wickets to gain an advantage in their shot and being stumped and would cover the obvious run out dismissal.

So may as well remove stumping dismissals for batsmen whose back foot lifts or are dragged out. :roll:

It could be worded better maybe along the lines of a stumping is if the batsmen's feet leave the crease whilst playing a stroke etc. I think we can all agree there is a difference between a batsman who can't keep his balance whilst playing a shot and stay in his crease and what Bairstow was doing.

The wordsmiths of the world would work it out pretty quickly.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:06 pm

But he was batting out of his crease.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:08 pm

Brodlach wrote:So what’s the difference between ball 6 of the over or ball 2? Carey threw the ball in one motion as the caught the ball. There was no time between him taking the ball and throwing it.

The difference would be is that at ball 6 the ball is deemed dead when the umpire makes a verbal call rather than when the fielding team decides the ball is dead. Had the umpire of called dead which as I've said his physical actions may have 'dummied' Bairstow into thinking he had called over.

I think the umpire was right in not calling dead as Carey was moving in one action but i also think if the umpire has not called over he should be positioned in his normal position especially if a run is not being taken.

It was all just a bit messy.....no rules broken. Carey was smart and did it well.

For once the batter was trying to move the game forward and start the next over.
Last edited by whufc on Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:08 pm

Brodlach wrote:But he was batting out of his crease.

Bairstow? He wasnt. He was behind the crease, even marked guard, then walked out.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:24 pm

Murphy in or out!!! Obviously there will be a temptation if the wicket is green to play 4 pacemen + Green and use Head as the spinner. If we are honest Head in his small stints has looked to offer more than Green has with the ball.

How good is it that its back-to-back tests with all the heat and controversary still lingering.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:25 pm

Booney wrote::lol:

It's a piss take. :oops:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:28 pm

Really, simple rule needs to be brought in.. batsman must call "wicky leave"... and when running need to call "crease" to declare their safety and immunity. 8)
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby RB » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:29 pm

MW wrote:
RB wrote:
MW wrote:The pub test says it was not in the spirit

Do you mean because he wasn't attempting a run?

Yep, not gaining an advantage

Interesting point. But I think that would drastically reduce the number of stumpings.

The "spirit of cricket" concept is a very malleable one.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby MW » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:31 pm

RB wrote:
MW wrote:
RB wrote:
MW wrote:The pub test says it was not in the spirit

Do you mean because he wasn't attempting a run?

Yep, not gaining an advantage

Interesting point. But I think that would drastically reduce the number of stumpings.

The "spirit of cricket" concept is a very malleable one.

For me there is a big differnce between throwing the stumps down if a batter is batting out of his crease, vs a batter ducking a bouncer, while in the crease, scratching guard then leaving it thinking the ball is dead.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:45 pm

whufc wrote:
Brodlach wrote:So what’s the difference between ball 6 of the over or ball 2? Carey threw the ball in one motion as the caught the ball. There was no time between him taking the ball and throwing it.

The difference would be is that at ball 6 the ball is deemed dead when the umpire makes a verbal call rather than when the fielding team decides the ball is dead. Had the umpire of called dead which as I've said his physical actions may have 'dummied' Bairstow into thinking he had called over.

I think the umpire was right in not calling dead as Carey was moving in one action but i also think if the umpire has not called over he should be positioned in his normal position especially if a run is not being taken.

It was all just a bit messy.....no rules broken. Carey was smart and did it well.

For once the batter was trying to move the game forward and start the next over.

Perhaps the umpires could be a little smarter in not actually doing anything until they've looked around, made sure the ball is dead, and definitively called it. Many seem to hold up the palms of their hands.

Have been trying to find a view from behind, it all happened so quickly I'm not convinced Carey or Bairstow would have seen any definitive movement from the umpire.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:49 pm

The Bedge wrote:Really, simple rule needs to be brought in.. batsman must call "wicky leave"... and when running need to call "crease" to declare their safety and immunity. 8)

Need to bring in automatic wicky too
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:54 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Really, simple rule needs to be brought in.. batsman must call "wicky leave"... and when running need to call "crease" to declare their safety and immunity. 8)

:D :D
Poms will roar back into favoritism if they do
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:54 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I was playing cricket recently with my kids and their friends and was I was struggling for a run and called crease.
Everyone looked at me like WTF
I had to explain what it meant.

They still looked at me like WTF
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:55 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
whufc wrote:

Perhaps the umpires could be a little smarter in not actually doing anything until they've looked around, made sure the ball is dead, and definitively called it. Many seem to hold up the palms of their hands.

Have been trying to find a view from behind, it all happened so quickly I'm not convinced Carey or Bairstow would have seen any definitive movement from the umpire.

The one who should be looking around to make sure the ball is "dead" is the batsman. Simple.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mots02 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:56 pm

Booney wrote::lol:

Toodle-Pip!
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:06 pm

Just catching up on what happened

Thats worse than a mankad
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:08 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Just catching up on what happened

Thats worse than a mankad

Agree as far as it being more against the spirit of the game than a mankad.

Nothing wrong with a mankad...by leaving there crease early to get a run they are deliberately trying to get a scoring advantage.
Last edited by whufc on Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:08 pm

Corona Man wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
whufc wrote:

It wouldn't and shouldn't make any change to this dismissal, but take out the area of what the umpire has or hasn't called or intimated.

The one who should be looking around to make sure the ball is "dead" is the batsman. Simple.

I mean having that little pause, making sure everything has stopped, call over, and then make any movements. Many seem to, but maybe this needs reinforcing and the umpire in this case got a bit casual.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket