Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby The Hound » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:51 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Conor McInerney to Glenelg confirmed, excellent get for them.

Woodville in world of pain losing all these guns if they don’t recruit any players of note :shock:

When all available the Seahorses will be a 50/50 split of their own and recruits #-o, might not be able to spruik about junior development
Apparently Charlesworth coming back for the Peckers
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby C Horse » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:19 pm

The Hound wrote:When all available the Seahorses will be a 50/50 split of their own and recruits #-o, might not be able to spruik about junior development

Guess that's a byproduct of 2 division cricket isn't it.
Only 6 clubs will "survive" this season and naturally the better players at the D2 clubs will want to leave.
EG - Barrett to ET, Pengelly's to Glenelg.

i Might be wrong here but I think Glenlg made the finals in all junior and senior grades last year except A grade who came 5th.
so I would suggest they are going OK.
C Horse
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:39 pm

C Horse wrote:
The Hound wrote:When all available the Seahorses will be a 50/50 split of their own and recruits #-o, might not be able to spruik about junior development

Guess that's a byproduct of 2 division cricket isn't it.
Only 6 clubs will "survive" this season and naturally the better players at the D2 clubs will want to leave.
EG - Barrett to ET, Pengelly's to Glenelg.

i Might be wrong here but I think Glenlg made the finals in all junior and senior grades last year except A grade who came 5th.
so I would suggest they are going OK.

I suppose they thought that SD and Adelaide will probably be perennial Div 2 clubs moving forward? I'd be backing Sturt to only be in Div 2 for one season as I've not seen anything about them losing players, but not sure who else?
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:24 pm

Proposed draw for 2023/24 floating around. Pencilled in Grand Final of 20/20 at Adelaide Oval on NYE before the Strikers. Hope this goes ahead and the killjoys don't stop it from happening as this is one of the best ideas SACA have had to promote Grade Cricket for a decade!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:59 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Proposed draw for 2023/24 floating around. Pencilled in Grand Final of 20/20 at Adelaide Oval on NYE before the Strikers. Hope this goes ahead and the killjoys don't stop it from happening as this is one of the best ideas SACA have had to promote Grade Cricket for a decade!

Fantastic idea.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:15 pm

The Hound wrote:

Woodville in world of pain losing all these guns if they don’t recruit any players of note :shock:

When all available the Seahorses will be a 50/50 split of their own and recruits #-o, might not be able to spruik about junior development

Thats the Catch 22 clubs deal with - always count on Port though to swoop. Zac McCabe the latest junior to leave for Port, probably feels with Conor coming he wont get a chance to open or play 1st Grade, the club put so much time into them but then dont give them the opportunities at next level so they end up leaving.

Cant think of any Juniors West Torrens have lost this way in last 10 years, but have not had the talent that came thru 6 years ago when 11 of the 12 in the Triple Premiership were juniors. Why they have had to target guys from interstate more than I would like lately.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby mickey » Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:24 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
The Hound wrote:

Thats the Catch 22 clubs deal with - always count on Port though to swoop. Zac McCabe the latest junior to leave for Port, probably feels with Conor coming he wont get a chance to open or play 1st Grade, the club put so much time into them but then dont give them the opportunities at next level so they end up leaving.

Cant think of any Juniors West Torrens have lost this way in last 10 years, but have not had the talent that came thru 6 years ago when 11 of the 12 in the Triple Premiership were juniors. Why they have had to target guys from interstate more than I would like lately.
Is it a good get for Port when they recruit or only other clubs... maybe Port is just a good environment to be at the moment and thats what attracts players there

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:58 pm

Was McCabe from the Jets originally?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:50 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Was McCabe from the Jets originally?

Think he comes from the Barossa but not sure if he ever played for the Jets, maybe at u12 or u14 level
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby cokadonkeytoo » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:10 am

Originally from up in the Saddleworth area. Played for Gilbert Valley in the Barossa. Ended up going to school at Sacred Heart. That's how he ended up at Glenelg. As Daisy said, I think he played some junior stuff at the Jets. Prospect tried to recruit him but he cited wanting to stay at a Div 1 club

This whole Div 1/Div 2 split is turning out exactly the way we all thought it would. The SACA stated that they would be encouraging players to go to, or stay at Div 2 clubs but that's falling on deaf ears with players. Even really good players playing in 2nd grade at the high performing clubs aren't interested in 1st Grade Div 2 opportunities. There are also player managers allegedly telling their players to not go to Div 2 clubs.

Port will have 3 high quality keepers this season in Conway, McCabe and Kudra. Surely it's best for the development of those players behind the first choice keeper to play for a Div 2 club? Yep sure, they're playing in a lesser standard comp but it will still be better than most 2nd grade sides wouldnt it? The U19 side will be strong when school cricket isnt being played. Northerns will still have a strong side with Cosgrove, Kann, Cahill and the yearly UK players. They'll certainly get to test themselves against Div 1 clubs in the white ball comps too.

I'm really worried about the viability of the Div 2 clubs moving forward. Sturt will be fine, they have enough prestige and background support to stay alive. Northerns I think will be ok, as well as Prospect. Not sure about Southerns and Adelaide's well being in the next year or so. Hopefully the SACA is there to support the Div 2 clubs this coming season. It's going to be tough. Maybe staying true to their word and selecting a couple of players from Div 2 clubs (as long as they're winning games of cricket for their club) to train with the extended squad and maybe get a look in at 2nd XI will help in the long run.

Only time will tell!!
Get that corn outta my face!!
cokadonkeytoo
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby billy » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:07 pm

I think you are stating the reality, no player who wants to play first class cricket is going to play in a division 2 team. The difference between division 2 cricket and first class is a bridge too far, it is hard enough in a decent 8 team division 1 comp.

The SACA did try to get a 12 team competition, in the end it was beyond their organisational capabilities.

If you have battled your way along in one of their so called HP squads then you might be able to do a bit better in the division 2 comp and at least you will feel a bit better.

The reality is most of these HP squads are a complete waste of time.
billy

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

Postby The Hound » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:32 pm

That's the disappointing thing for clubs E2014, losing juniors who you have invested in to other clubs. From looking at the stats averaged 80 in the 2nd grade, numbers down in first real season of getting an opportunity to play some games in 1st grade. Chuck in B Pengelley and not sure where he could see himself batting with Connor coming in. J Pengelly is a swap for Croom who isn't coming back.
be interesting to see the batting line up when at full strength. Connor, Winter, Higgins, McSweeney, Scott, Bullimore, B Pengelley, Kerr (WK).
Bowling would be Doggett, Conway, Bowering, Pudney, Thompson, J Pengelley. Who misses?

I believe Tom Plant back there in a coaching role.

Where does Ben Manetti go? cant see him staying at the Buffs unless directed by SACA HP, but do they have the jurisdiction to do that?

If Harry Manetti is a spinner, what happens with Seb Young E2014, as I see he played some second grade last year.
The Hound
Reserves

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:52 pm

The Hound wrote:Thats the Catch 22 clubs deal with - always count on Port though to swoop. Zac McCabe the latest junior to leave for Port, probably feels with Conor coming he wont get a chance to open or play 1st Grade, the club put so much time into them but then dont give them the opportunities at next level so they end up leaving.

That's the disappointing thing for clubs E2014, losing juniors who you have invested in to other clubs. From looking at the stats averaged 80 in the 2nd grade, numbers down in first real season of getting an opportunity to play some games in 1st grade. Chuck in B Pengelley and not sure where he could see himself batting with Connor coming in. J Pengelly is a swap for Croom who isn't coming back.
be interesting to see the batting line up when at full strength. Connor, Winter, Higgins, McSweeney, Scott, Bullimore, B Pengelley, Kerr (WK).
Bowling would be Doggett, Conway, Bowering, Pudney, Thompson, J Pengelley. Who misses?

I believe Tom Plant back there in a coaching role.

Where does Ben Manetti go? cant see him staying at the Buffs unless directed by SACA HP, but do they have the jurisdiction to do that?

If Harry Manetti is a spinner, what happens with Seb Young E2014, as I see he played some second grade last year.

Harry Manenti is pace bowler, was handy pick up as when Buckingham and Spencer are out becomes very pedestrian line up. He also is very handy batter - apparently quicker than Valente and as good with the bat - if that is true then should win the Bradman Medal :shock:

Seb had an ordinary year, but is a ripping lad and will be a lot better for the experience he gained. Will work much better with Fallins this year hopefully as will be needed if our gun two are playing higher levels.

That is one strong Bays line up, similar to SANFL, their flag to lose :D
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby The Hound » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:59 pm

Sounds like it is Maneti's Bradman to lose ;)

Where to for Uni? Greber to Pt A, hearing Bosisto back to WA and will Bramber come back from the UK?
The Hound
Reserves

Postby Minimum Chips » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:01 pm

The Hound wrote:Where does Ben Manetti go? cant see him staying at the Buffs unless directed by SACA HP, but do they have the jurisdiction to do that?

...unless they are happy to cough up another $20K for not much return like last season??
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Brodlach » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:44 pm

Are the Pengellys definitely at Glenelg?

Mentioned the other night that a local club was into them and Corey Kelly
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby heater31 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:30 pm

Brodlach wrote:Are the Pengellys definitely at Glenelg?

ATCA club?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:12 pm

heater31 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Are the Pengellys definitely at Glenelg?

ATCA club?

Yep.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Aerie » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:44 pm

Which will be a stronger standard of competition? 2nd Division or 2nd Grade?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:20 pm

Aerie wrote:Which will be a stronger standard of competition? 2nd Division or 2nd Grade?

Overall think the 2nd Division will be a stronger comp.

However, thought last year the 2nd Grade teams from Kensington and Glenelg would have beaten Southerns and Prospect 1st Grade teams.
Eagles2014
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps