Ashes 2023

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes 2023

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:39 pm

It’s a nice change however for once it’s not Australia that’s been gobbing off all series. England have fired off shots before and throughout the entire series through on field chatter and passively through the media and in newspaper articles. Australia have been focused for the greater periods and it’s paying off. Keep the focus because England are showing they have the attention span of my 2 year old daughter and it’s cost them 2 Tests…
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:29 pm

The other thing out of the game is just how important good spin bowling is to interesting Test cricket and why is must be nurtured.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby mots02 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:42 pm

Not bad from Titus.

"The English cricket team and its fans are having one of the most enjoyable meltdowns in sporting history following Jonny Bairstow forgetting he was in the middle of a cricket test at Lords and going for a little walk.

“We are deeply upset that a lawful action that we have tried many times ourselves has worked against us this time, which feels unfair,” said Professor of Ethics at Oxford University Stuart Broad.

“Given it’s out in black and white, we are now going to bang on about the Spirit of the Game, even though we ignore that too when it suits us.”

Marylebone Cricket Club member Simon Cuffleton-Smiggly-Wright said he was outraged the colonists had used better cricketing ability to defeat England.

“We didn’t conquer most of the globe by allowing the other side to fight fair,” said Cuffleton-Smiggly-Wright.

“And how are you meant to know all these rules? Who came up with them? They seem a bit all over the shop if you ask me. Need a good sorting out.”

Fellow member Geoffrey Beaumont said he would have confronted the Australian players physically in the members if years of inbreeding hadn’t made his bones like glass.

“It’s cheating, pure and simple. When you do something in the game that is within the laws, and the umpires rule it out, that’s cheating.”

“Still, it feels like again we should have won, so technically, we are 2-0 up.”

Australian fans have noted the England cricket team and its fans have successfully thrown their toys out of the cot and something Jonny Bairstow would struggle with."
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby RoosterMan » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:17 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Didn’t know that, last time I say that then.

Me either.
I thought Paki was just shortened like Aussie.
It's not a racial slur here but it is in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
RoosterMan
Rookie

Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury West

Postby stan » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:22 pm

So all these claims that the ball was dead and that the umpire had handed Greens hat back......Image
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:44 pm

-
Last edited by whufc on Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

-
Last edited by whufc on Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

stan wrote:So all these claims that the ball was dead and that the umpire had handed Greens hat back......Image

He hasn’t handed back but he had started to unclip it

If you watch the footage the main umpire wasn’t looking when the bails were knocked off and then stops, turns and looks up which is obviously when this still photo is taken

Carey is already at the stumps, this photo is at least a few seconds after the stumps are hit. Evidence being that he already has the hat off the clip they wear it on by this stage.
whufc
Coach

Postby mots02 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:47 pm

mots02 wrote:Amazing Test Match and win for the Aussies.

There's some things the that Poms should like about Bazball but the thing that could work against them is the amount of time that they keep the opposition bowlers in the field.

In a congested series of back to back tests, the Poms have already bowled 64.2 overs more than the Aussies - if that continues it will begin to takes its toll across successive tests - or they'll have to rotate bowlers hard, and i'm not sure they've got the bowling depth to back that option.

Added to the 64 from first test, the Poms have now bowled 108 more overs than the Aussies across just 2 test matches.

Batting fast has its downside.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby am Bays » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:53 pm

whufc wrote:
stan wrote:So all these claims that the ball was dead and that the umpire had handed Greens hat back......Image

If you watch the footage the main umpire wasn’t looking when the bails were knocked off and then stops, turns and looks up which is obviously when this still photo is taken

Carey is already at the stumps, this photo is at least a few seconds after the stumps are hit. Evidence being that he already has the hat off the clip they wear it on by this stage.

So he's getting ready to call over but he hasn't called it.

It like footy it's not when the Siren sounds but when one of the umpires hear it.

I know myself when umpiring sh!te cricket as a player I'm holding out the hat as I call over more often than not. I'm waling to hold the hat whilst checking to make sure the ball is dead.

There's no set routine.

We can argue day and night until the next controversy about the complete fictional notion of the "Spirit of Cricket", what is indisputable is that this was a decision made within the laws.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby locky801 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:55 pm

Down 2 nil and they still keep talking the talk

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/ben-sto ... 2023-07-03
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3710 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:03 pm

am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:

So he's getting ready to call over but he hasn't called it.

It like footy it's not when the Siren sounds but when one of the umpires hear it.

I know myself when umpiring sh!te cricket as a player I'm holding out the hat as I call over more often than not. I'm waling to hold the hat whilst checking to make sure the ball is dead.

There's no set routine.

We can argue day and night until the next controversy about the complete fictional notion of the "Spirit of Cricket", what is indisputable is that this was a decision made within the laws.

100% it was within the rules and a fair run out.

What I’m saying is when the rules were written I don’t believe the intent was so that keepers could stump batsmen who had taken two strides forward to meet the other batsmen because they thought it was the end of the over.

I don’t have a problem with what Carey did but also don’t think as cricket fans we really want to see batsmen dismissed in that manor when it’s clear there was some confusion and no deliberate attempt to get an advantage.

Given the circumstances the day before I can understand why the Aussies didn’t recall him. What we don’t want to see though is keepers having regular pins trying to catch a batsmen a split second out.
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:12 pm

whufc wrote:Given the circumstances the day before I can understand why the Aussies didn’t recall him. What we don’t want to see though is keepers having regular pins trying to catch a batsmen a split second out.

As a sh!tty wicket keeper, ah yes we do if a batsman is not staying in his crease until over has been called.

but it's done with risk as a it may lead to a bye if I miss or it deflects aw away from a fielder.

What's the difference between me coming up to the stumps to keep a batsman in his crease and to increase chances of an LB vs throwing a ball at the stumps to try and get rid of a lazy batsman?

The batsman has every right to take liberties but I've got the right to keep them honest.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby Keefy » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:13 pm

This from one of the great antagonists of the gameImage

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:15 pm

Im not sure that the call of over actually stops the dismissal anyway.
I believe the McCallum/Collingwood stumping the umpire had called over. The bowlers end umpire was clearly not aware that play was continuing, he couldve easily had called over sometime between the ball leaving Careys hands and it hitting the stumps.

How many of you have had to stand at Square leg umpiring when some idiot keeper in park cricket thinks he can get a stumping every 3rd ball? Luckily most of the time they arent skilled enough to hit the stumps but f me, its bloody annoying if they do. Everyone gets pissed at the keeper for holding up play but that one time he pulls it off, its the highlight of his sad life ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:17 pm

am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:Given the circumstances the day before I can understand why the Aussies didn’t recall him. What we don’t want to see though is keepers having regular pins trying to catch a batsmen a split second out.

As a sh!tty wicket keeper, ah yes we do if a batsman is not staying in his crease until over has been called.

but it's done with risk as a it may lead to a bye if I miss or it deflects aw away from a fielder.

What's the difference between me coming up to the stumps to keep a batsman in his crease and to increase chances of an LB vs throwing a ball at the stumps to try and get rid of a lazy batsman?

The batsman has every right to take liberties but I've got the right to keep them honest.

Come on, we don’t want to be watching reviews where the third umpires are trying to line up the Audio of an ump saying over and where a batters foot is.
whufc
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:26 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Im not sure that the call of over actually stops the dismissal anyway.
I believe the McCallum/Collingwood stumping the umpire had called over. The bowlers end umpire was clearly not aware that play was continuing, he couldve easily had called over sometime between the ball leaving Careys hands and it hitting the stumps.

Then it was pretty poor umpiring to not be aware because Carey threw it straight away.
But Bairstow walked out knowing it was the end of the over, not based on the umpires call.

Back in the '80s we were in a run chase against NZ at the SCG and throw came in, hit the batsman's bat as he was striding to make his ground and went off to the boundary (much like in the last World Cup). The umpire called over before it reached the boundary, and so the four wasn't awarded. But in a split-second like Bairstow's, it would have pretty uncanny that it was called in that time
Last edited by FlyingHigh on Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:26 pm

On a side note to this….we all agree the game should be sped up for more overs.

Can we stop the fielders throwing the ball to the keeper after they field it every time.

Not so bad when the pacemen are on as they are still going back to their mark but when the spinners were on they end up at there mark waiting for the ball to get back to them coz they’re throwing it the keeper 9/10 times

All we need to do is save 10 seconds an over….1 and a bit seconds a ball and we will save a few overs worth of time over the course of the day.
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:53 pm

whufc wrote:On a side note to this….we all agree the game should be sped up for more overs.

Can we stop the fielders throwing the ball to the keeper after they field it every time.

Not so bad when the pacemen are on as they are still going back to their mark but when the spinners were on they end up at there mark waiting for the ball to get back to them coz they’re throwing it the keeper 9/10 times

All we need to do is save 10 seconds an over….1 and a bit seconds a ball and we will save a few overs worth of time over the course of the day.

Agree, no glove changes apart from scheduled drinks breaks and wickets falling

strict 5 mins for drinks - no extended interviews Hi Fox cricket.

Apart from hits to the helmet, if medical assessment is needed , three minutes tops, if you need longer you need to retire hurt.
am Bays
Coach

Postby RoosterMan » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:57 pm

England team show themselves to be a pack of hypocritical whingers

What a pack of sanctimonious sore losers. The protesting Poms can have a two finger salute – which could also double as the series score, writes Dean Ritchie.

England team show themselves to be a pack of hypocritical whingers

What a pack of sanctimonious sore losers. The protesting Poms can have a two finger salute – which could also double as the series score, writes Dean Ritchie.

Dean Ritchie

July 3, 2023 - 5:08PM

What a pack of sanctimonious, miserable, sore losers.

England’s cry-baby reaction to a fair dismissal in the Lord’s cricket Test has shown their national cricket team to be hypocritical, pompous whingers.

Alex Carey’s stumping of a vague Jonny Bairstow was legal, moral and, ultimately, a match-winner.

The protesting Poms can have a two finger salute – which could also double as the series score. That’s right, it’s two-nil.

Remember Stuart Broad clearly edging an Ashton Agar delivery to first slip at Trent Bridge in 2013 and refusing to walk?

Remember Broad laughing and celebrating when England ran out New Zealand’s Colin de Grandhomme, who walked out of his crease, last year?

Remember on day three when Bairstow, a wicketkeeper, attempted to stump Marnus Labuschagne in exactly the same manner?

And remember England’s head coach, the already under-pressure Brendon McCullum, throwing down the stumps of a batsmen unaware the ball hadn’t yet been declared dead? Oh, and he did that three times in 2005, 2006 and 2009.

England’s posturing and pretence smacks of two-faced double standards. Carey’s actions were quick-thinking, instinctive and well within the perimeters of cricket’s rules.

Brendon McCullum threw the stumps down multiple times during his career as a wicketkeeper, but now it’s not in the spirit of the game?

Did you hear Australian players moan and sob when Mitchell Starc was denied a fair catch in the outfield on day four?

As one journalist wrote: “Turns out the ‘spirit of cricket’ only applies when England says so.”

This non-event was concocted by a team under excruciating pressure for employing a failing new attacking style of play.

Their aggressive batting style – nicknamed Bazball after coach McCallum – is floundering.

And those Lord’s members who want to be known as the aristocratic elite have shown themselves to be mere commoners like the rest of us.

Imagine the silver spoon Long Room faithful, wearing suits and ties, actually taunting, jostling and abusing opposition players? Oh how utterly ashamed they must feel from their distinguished and affluent abodes in Mayfair and Knightsbridge.

And it’s strange how the seemingly all white pavilion appeared to target Usman Khawaja, Australia’s Muslim opening batsman.

The entire episode was shameful and mean-spirited. Lord’s once regal image now belongs in a hearse.

Those pretentious snobs are no better than the Aussie scallywags that once sat on the roughhouse SCG Hill and Bay 13 in Melbourne.

Good Lord, Lord’s.

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/england-team-show-themselves-to-be-a-pack-of-hypocritical-whingers/news-story/8683a4d3f8a6971d0566d14b389dd34a[/URL]

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
RoosterMan
Rookie

Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury West

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket