Ashes 2023

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes 2023

Postby JK » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:40 pm

This "Spirit of the game" stuff is BS imho, the laws of the game should dictate the required spirit.

Same with Mankading (I know Im in the minority as I fully support it) - But how it can be condemned as poor sportsmanship but batsmen trying to get head starts on runs isn't, completely bemuses me.

Ultimately with that example and Bairstow's brain fart, be in your crease when you need to and run risks when you aren't. Simple stuff.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:43 pm

I've thought for a while Lyon would hand it down to Travis Head but he obviously had Carey lined up.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:23 pm

mal wrote:OK its time I set the record straight with Carey/Bairstow
England started it
1882 Australian cricketer Sammy Jones was batting in a EG V AU test match
Jones presumed the ball was dead , left his crease and was run out by W G Grace
England had a 4th innings chase of 85 to win
Fred The Demon Spofforth took 7/44 and England fell 7 runs short of the chase
The origin of the Ashes dates back to the match

Was it a big crowd there that day mAl? Did you get into a corporate box?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:28 pm

JK wrote:This "Spirit of the game" stuff is BS imho, the laws of the game should dictate the required spirit.

Same with Mankading (I know Im in the minority as I fully support it) - But how it can be condemned as poor sportsmanship but batsmen trying to get head starts on runs isn't, completely bemuses me.

Ultimately with that example and Bairstow's brain fart, be in your crease when you need to and run risks when you aren't. Simple stuff.

Mankading is the batter trying to gain an advantage but Bairstow was batting in his crease and thought it was over.
Any other team except the Poms I would have called the batter back.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby JK » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:33 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
JK wrote:This "Spirit of the game" stuff is BS imho, the laws of the game should dictate the required spirit.

Mankading is the batter trying to gain an advantage but Bairstow was batting in his crease and thought it was over.

If he'd been injured and wandered out of his crease I'd have brought him back but thats it. Not the ideal way to get a wicket I agree, but Bairstow was the ONLY player that could have ensured a dismissal was impossible.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:54 pm

JK wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

If he'd been injured and wandered out of his crease I'd have brought him back but thats it. Not the ideal way to get a wicket I agree, but Bairstow was the ONLY player that could have ensured a dismissal was impossible.

Either way it couldn’t have happened to a better bloke! :lol:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby JK » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:27 pm

Yep, love the added spice. Nothing like the Ashes and perhaps a shame the commentary has been overshadowed by the controversial moments rather than the tight contests both teams have provided thus far. But, F*** the Poms ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:44 pm

JK wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Very unlucky way to get out
but so is getting caught down the leg side,
getting caught from a deflection from another player,
getting run out from a deflection from the bowler on his follow through,
getting run out by your batting partner without facing a ball,
do we call them back too?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:44 pm

If Carey was keeping up would he have left the crease?
No?
Why Not?
BECAUSE HE WOULD HAVE BEEN STUMPED.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby RB » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:03 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:Very unlucky way to get out
but so is getting caught down the leg side,
getting caught from a deflection from another player,
getting run out from a deflection from the bowler on his follow through,
getting run out by your batting partner without facing a ball,
do we call them back too?

Exactly. The thing with this "spirit of cricket" argument is that in this case, it's just an argument. You can make arguments either way about whether the spirit of cricket, vague as it is, demanded that Cummins should withdraw the appeal. It's a grey area. Which is why the collective tantrum from the English team and its supporters is so silly.

I thought it was telling that Ben Stokes said that if he had been in Cummins' position, he would have to have a think about whether to withdraw the appeal. I mean, if it was so blatantly against the "spirit of cricket" - as many soap dodgers would have you believe - then presumably it wouldn't require any contemplation?

There are a million and one unlucky things that can happen to you on the cricket field, but this is hardly one of them. Bairstow realised that he'd let his team down by committing a brainfade.

Expecting the other side effectively to overturn the ump's call and give you a life might be understandable in an incredibly clear-cut case of an overly technical application of the Laws being contrary to the "spirit of cricket". But this ain't that.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby MW » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:01 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:If Carey was keeping up would he have left the crease?
No?
Why Not?

I have sympathy both ways here.
The fact he kept in the crease, scratched guard, then left leans me towards it being the wrong decision. If he ducked the bouncer, looked around and walked out to pressure a run, then fair game.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:08 pm

MW wrote:
No?
Why Not?

The fact he kept in the crease, scratched guard, then left leans me towards it being the wrong decision. If he ducked the bouncer, looked around and walked out to pressure a run, then fair game.

Completely agree if it's in the backyard with no umpires apart from Mum and Dad as independent third parties post the incident

But in a test match with professional umpires you stay in crease until until you hear "over" or as a minimum you know where the ball is.

Jonny **** up and has no excuse.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:08 pm

MW wrote:
No?
Why Not?

If you look closely, he actually taps the ground with his bat IMO effectively stating "crease" hence why he walked off.
He did it every time he went for a stroll
I watched him at the time and thought he had done the right thing by tapping the ground

On the Starc "catch", I was always taught dont let the ball go anywhere near the grass after you've caught it.
At the time, I thought he could be in trouble with what he did

But I dont, religiously, read the rules
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Aerie » Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:13 pm

Commonsense would say that the Starc catch should be out and the Bairstow stumping should be not out. The letter of the law says otherwise and I understand the 3rd umpire has to go by it. It wouldn't take much to adjust the laws to say otherwise. Starc clearly caught it in every way and he didn't use the ground to assist him in taking the catch. What is the difference between taking the ball two hands and throwing it in the air and taking the ball with two hands and shifting it to his left as he braced himself to hit the ground. The ball at no stage spilled or bobbled. Bairstow had ducked under the bouncer, already in his crease, marked his crease and walked out to do some gardening and meet his partner mid-pitch. Granted, he did it in Fast Forward. For me, commonsense says he's shouldn't be out for that.

However, it is all about context. The fact that Starc's catch was disallowed the evening before on a technicality. The fact that Bairstow had tried to do exactly the same thing on day 3 to Labuschagne and had also tried to get Head out when he almost walked out of his crease and said to Head he would've claimed his wicket. The arrogance of the English with this Bazball cult. The situation of the game and the series.

Carey did nothing sneaky. He caught the ball and immediately threw it, Bairstow still in his crease. Bairstow's habit of walking off quickly without consideration of what was happening behind him and Carey's skill to hit the stumps gave the 3rd umpire no choice. If Cummins withdraws the appeal, what does that do for team morale and how does that make Carey feel. I am glad Cummins stuck to his guns and am comfortable with how the Australians handled it. Don't give them an inch. I think the English are hypocritical and the way the crowd at the ground and in the long room acted was moronic. The Spirit of Cricket is a thing, but England, Stokes and McCullum haven't displayed that and calling Australia out on it is pretty pathetic.

Can't wait for Headingley.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:18 pm

Aerie wrote:Commonsense would say that the Starc catch should be out and the Bairstow stumping should be not out. The letter of the law says otherwise and I understand the 3rd umpire has to go by it. It wouldn't take much to adjust the laws to say otherwise. Starc clearly caught it in every way and he didn't use the ground to assist him in taking the catch. What is the difference between taking the ball two hands and throwing it in the air and taking the ball with two hands and shifting it to his left as he braced himself to hit the ground. The ball at no stage spilled or bobbled. Bairstow had ducked under the bouncer, already in his crease, marked his crease and walked out to do some gardening and meet his partner mid-pitch. Granted, he did it in Fast Forward. For me, commonsense says he's shouldn't be out for that.

However, it is all about context. The fact that Starc's catch was disallowed the evening before on a technicality. The fact that Bairstow had tried to do exactly the same thing on day 3 to Labuschagne and had also tried to get Head out when he almost walked out of his crease and said to Head he would've claimed his wicket. The arrogance of the English with this Bazball cult. The situation of the game and the series.

Carey did nothing sneaky. He caught the ball and immediately threw it, Bairstow still in his crease. Bairstow's habit of walking off quickly without consideration of what was happening behind him and Carey's skill to hit the stumps gave the 3rd umpire no choice. If Cummins withdraws the appeal, what does that do for team morale and how does that make Carey feel. I am glad Cummins stuck to his guns and am comfortable with how the Australians handled it. Don't give them an inch. I think the English are hypocritical and the way the crowd at the ground and in the long room acted was moronic. The Spirit of Cricket is a thing, but England, Stokes and McCullum haven't displayed that and calling Australia out on it is pretty pathetic.

The perfect retort, send this to the MCC.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby batmanbegins » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:24 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Aerie wrote:Commonsense would say that the Starc catch should be out and the Bairstow stumping should be not out. The letter of the law says otherwise and I understand the 3rd umpire has to go by it. It wouldn't take much to adjust the laws to say otherwise. Starc clearly caught it in every way and he didn't use the ground to assist him in taking the catch. What is the difference between taking the ball two hands and throwing it in the air and taking the ball with two hands and shifting it to his left as he braced himself to hit the ground. The ball at no stage spilled or bobbled. Bairstow had ducked under the bouncer, already in his crease, marked his crease and walked out to do some gardening and meet his partner mid-pitch. Granted, he did it in Fast Forward. For me, commonsense says he's shouldn't be out for that.

The perfect retort, send this to the MCC.

Kinda disagree with Marnus comparison as he was actually batting out of his crease, but either way the way we are acting is absolutely ridiculous. Was clearly out and JB just had a brain fart, stop crying and focus on winning the game playing smarter cricket.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:24 pm

Great post!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby locky801 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:17 pm

Still waiting for a response from Bairstow or have i missed it :roll:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3710 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby spell_check » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:46 pm

spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:57 pm

spell_check wrote:https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/bloody-oath-i-would-travis-head-accuses-bairstow-of-ashes-hypocrisy/news-story/689e268def518f2706ee8e36dbd741e4
Wonder what Mr Stokes's would have done the previous week if Trav wasn't smarter than ol mate Jonny!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket