Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby Cheap Seats » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:17 pm

field of dreams wrote:1:26 on the video is the elbow.
The bump at 2:15 would be multiple weeks in the afl. I’m an old fart that played when that sort of stuff was pretty regular but that bump was bloody dangerous. Poor Cooper that was on the receiving end was thrown into an advertising sign soon after too at 2:18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are the ones FOD.
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Cheap Seats » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:31 pm

banterfordays wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:I spoke to a mate that suggested I watch the HappyFM replay of Myponga as we have them soon (it was hard to find, but went to their website in the end), I would say Spinks would be breathing a little easier today for not being sent off with what should have been at least a yellow card Saturday twice. Once he throws a big elbow at a player on the wing right in front of the grandstand at Victor that does just collect (the result wasn't heavy but the intent was horrible), & then in the last 1/4 he runs straight into another's head with his hip in the back pocket, in an intentional act that could have had very serious results. Even the commentators were questioning how he got away with both.

Probably watched Bartram do the same thing earlier in the match

I know a guy that can fix those glass windows for you....

Are you defending Spinks action or deflecting to someone else? When was this other high hit with a player defenseless over the ball BANTER, I must have missed it, and happy to be fair. If you have the time of the game that would be good, just to make it easy to find?
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Postby banterfordays » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:39 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:
banterfordays wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:I spoke to a mate that suggested I watch the HappyFM replay of Myponga as we have them soon (it was hard to find, but went to their website in the end), I would say Spinks would be breathing a little easier today for not being sent off with what should have been at least a yellow card Saturday twice. Once he throws a big elbow at a player on the wing right in front of the grandstand at Victor that does just collect (the result wasn't heavy but the intent was horrible), & then in the last 1/4 he runs straight into another's head with his hip in the back pocket, in an intentional act that could have had very serious results. Even the commentators were questioning how he got away with both.

Are you defending Spinks action or deflecting to someone else? When was this other high hit with a player defenseless over the ball BANTER, I must have missed it, and happy to be fair. If you have the time of the game that would be good, just to make it easy to find?

I'm saying the umpires had view of all of them. It isnt any hits behind play we are talking about

Couldn't give you a timestamp of a when but i think in the 2nd quarter incident near the interchange gate. The victor player goes and apologies straight away
banterfordays

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby field of dreams » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:30 pm

banterfordays wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:
banterfordays wrote:

I'm saying the umpires had view of all of them. It isnt any hits behind play we are talking about

Couldn't give you a timestamp of a when but i think in the 2nd quarter incident near the interchange gate. The victor player goes and apologies straight away
You seriously think that is “the same thing”?

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:44 pm

Round 14 guesses

E Bay by 46 over Yank
Victor by 78 over GPE
Myp/Sel by 16 over McLaren
Compass by 28 over Strath
Willunga by 34 over Creek
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:36 am

jackpot jim wrote:Round 14 guesses

E Bay by 46 over Yank
Victor by 78 over GPE

Bays got the job done over Yank by 22 points who have become a lot more competitive in recent times which is good to see.

Well GPEs huge 8 goal win over Compass only 3 rounds ago is all but a distant memory after copping consecutive hidings, this time at the hands of Victor to the tune of 156 points :oops: :oops:

Myp/Sell took a step further towards securing the double chance by demoralizing ladder leaders McLaren by 47 points who are showing some worrying signs in recent times but barring a complete meltdown will still be fronting up in the 2nd Semi Final so still have plenty of time to get their mojo back.

Compass after holding a comfortable 5 - 6 goal lead for most of the match survived a last quarter charge by Strath to hang on by only 4 points which will go a long way to securing their finals spot.

Well the mild surprise of the round came at the Creek who took care of a listless Willunga by 21 points to keep their slim finals chances alive whilst Willungas double chance hopes are almost gone. I didn't give the Creeks much hope, lining up without 7 - 8 1st choice players and then things got worse after half time losing their 2 key forwards in Mitch Cleggett and Clifford both to injury but Willunga still couldn't take advantage as they struggled to score. Clifford dominated up forward in the 1st half setting the win up with 5 goals and such was his dominance and impact on the game was still named 2nd best for the Creeks despite only playing half a game :shock:

How quickly things change, a few weeks ago Willunga and McLaren probably would have been favored to play off for the flag but now it seems Myp/Sell and Victor would be faves on form. In what has been a topsy turvy season so far i'm sure the trend will continue in coming weeks and into finals with injuries and availability of players the key to clubs hopes.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby DoublebluTiger » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:27 am

jackpot jim wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:Round 14 guesses

E Bay by 46 over Yank
Victor by 78 over GPE

Bays got the job done over Yank by 22 points who have become a lot more competitive in recent times which is good to see.

Well GPEs huge 8 goal win over Compass only 3 rounds ago is all but a distant memory after copping consecutive hidings, this time at the hands of Victor to the tune of 156 points :oops: :oops:

Myp/Sell took a step further towards securing the double chance by demoralizing ladder leaders McLaren by 47 points who are showing some worrying signs in recent times but barring a complete meltdown will still be fronting up in the 2nd Semi Final so still have plenty of time to get their mojo back.

Compass after holding a comfortable 5 - 6 goal lead for most of the match survived a last quarter charge by Strath to hang on by only 4 points which will go a long way to securing their finals spot.

Well the mild surprise of the round came at the Creek who took care of a listless Willunga by 21 points to keep their slim finals chances alive whilst Willungas double chance hopes are almost gone. I didn't give the Creeks much hope, lining up without 7 - 8 1st choice players and then things got worse after half time losing their 2 key forwards in Mitch Cleggett and Clifford both to injury but Willunga still couldn't take advantage as they struggled to score. Clifford dominated up forward in the 1st half setting the win up with 5 goals and such was his dominance and impact on the game was still named 2nd best for the Creeks despite only playing half a game :shock:

How quickly things change, a few weeks ago Willunga and McLaren probably would have been favored to play off for the flag but now it seems Myp/Sell and Victor would be faves on form. In what has been a topsy turvy season so far i'm sure the trend will continue in coming weeks and into finals with injuries and availability of players the key to clubs hopes.

Had a brief look at the tigs - bays game and it was the third quarter where the game was won/lost. After being up at half time Yank controlled the early part of the third quarter with several forays into forward 50 at the end where scoring was harder but they just couldn't convert. Then the floodgates opened for the Bays slaughtering Yank out of the middle and converting pretty each chance they got to have an unreachable lead at 3 quarter time. Like most sides, Yank need a few big blokes to clunk a mark or two including when needed but the Bays took full value for their efforts and it was the difference.
Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 50 times

Postby Turfie » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:06 am

Wliiunga and GPE have massive injury lists

GPE’s depth severely tested, they have 12 of their best 21 out, which includes 5 season ending knees and Heinzte who has been their best. After compass they would have been eyeing off a few late season wins but just getting a side on the park had become a priority
Turfie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Great Southern Football League

Postby field of dreams » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:00 pm

jackpot jim wrote:

It certainly is an interesting season.

Victor GPE margin shouldacoulda been more…. Missed plenty of gettable shots in the last quarter kicking 7 goals 9 points

Gees Carnelly for GPE is a gun!

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Cheap Seats » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:38 am

Yank were much better, and have a number of genuine top players now. Hargreaves is a very good player
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Postby field of dreams » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:46 pm

field of dreams wrote:1:26 on the video is the elbow.
The bump at 2:15 would be multiple weeks in the afl. I’m an old fart that played when that sort of stuff was pretty regular but that bump was bloody dangerous. Poor Cooper that was on the receiving end was thrown into an advertising sign soon after too at 2:18.

Apparently Spinks did end up at the tribunal but got let off on both charges!!! Protect the head they say…. "Players who choose to bump are almost certain to be suspended if they make contact with the head as the AFL tightens its rules amid heightened concussion scrutiny" ..... Not in the GSFL - anything goes!
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:12 pm

Round 15 guess

1st up Creek v Compass - If Creek lose today the Top 5 is set. Even if Creek win it's still hard to see them get in as the % gap is like another win.
Creeks apart from losing key forward Cleggett with injury from last week to join their handful of season ending injured players on the side lines it's as good a team the Creeks will have for the rest of the season. Creeks got home in a close encounter against the Dogs earlier in the season and may just repeat that result again by a goal or 2. Creeks by 11 points

E Bay v Myp/Sell - Well the Mudlarks just scraped in against the Bays earlier in the season and wont want to take them lightly here as they aim to finish the season off with 4 wins and steal top spot from McLaren if they slip up. Mudlarks by 23 points

GPE v Strath - Strath who were well in contention for a finals spot at the half way mark of the season are on a 5 game losing streak but should snap that today against an injury ravaged GPE team. Strath by 68 points

McLaren v Victor - Should be a cracker with plenty riding on it. McLaren will ensure the Minor Premiership if they win whilst Victor need the win to maintain the double chance. On recent form one would have to go for Victor. Victor by 14 points

Willunga have really struggled to kick goals in recent weeks and have put their double chance hopes in severe doubt. Would be a major shock if they dont get over Yank in this one who have improved immensely in recent times tho so may well be a lot closer than some think? Willunga by 32 points
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby field of dreams » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:30 am

Goolwa , yank…. Bays shot themselves in the foot…+++. Looking forward to your summary of that round JJ

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:30 pm

field of dreams wrote:Goolwa , yank…. Bays shot themselves in the foot…+++. Looking forward to your summary of that round JJ

Well i got 5 from 5 although the margins were a bit out which isn't surprising with some of the fluctuations in form is the last month :shock:

I'm still trying to fathom GPE form of the last 6 weeks :?
Rd 10 Lost by 14 points to Yank
Rd 11 WON by 48 points against Mt Compass :shock: How ? Just HOW ?????
Rd 12 Lost by 40 points to Myp/Sell which is nothing to be ashamed of at all. Good effort
Rd 13 Lost by 153 points to E Bay
Rd 14 Lost by 156 points to Victor
Rd 15 Lost by 193 points to Strath
Yes it's apparent they have a heap of injuries by reports which is very unfortunate. It looks like they must have lost their top 10 best players between Rd 11 and 13 to explain those results. Maybe they have ? Mad Monday cant come quick enough it seems

Creeks kept their slim finals hopes alive downing Compass by 7 points in a low scoring scrap in perfect conditions where scoring was inexplicably hard to come by. Compass led 3 goals to zip at quarter time to which the Creeks had leveled at 3 apiece by half time. Creeks gradually got on top in the 3rd term and hung on in the last to hold off Compass who did all the attacking in the last 10 minutes. Creeks would have been kicking themselves if they'd lost after missing 4 set shots from basically right in front inside 15 metres during the match :shock: :shock:
Compass still very likely to hold 5th spot being a win and a good % ahead of the Creek. Both teams play VH and Myp/Sell whilst Creek play GPE and Compass play E Bay in the other game. Only certain win among that lot are Creeks to eat GPE. Going on the trend if Creek did have a 150+ point win against GPE as others are having that % gap could be caught. Big game this week for Compass against the Bays

Looking at the Bays v Myp/Sell scores Bays kicked themselves out of it by kicking 6 -15 to 3/4 time. still a 16 point lead in a low scoring game would be enough usually but they failed to score in the last term as Myp/Sell keep their Minor premierships chances alive to take over a faltering McLaren
Bays would have to be frustrated to be in 8th spot with only 5 wins considering how competitive they've been against all the top sides.

Strath by 193 over GPE Strath broke a 5 game losing streak which would be no consolation to them after another disappointing season for them

Victor have really confirmed they're the real deal by trouncing the ladder leaders McLaren by 52 points and looking good for the double chance where they'll be dangerous. McLaren have really hit a flat spot and it's gonna take something special to get that momentum back before finals.

Willunga trounced Yank by 161 points. Obviously the win wasnt a shock but the margin well and truly was. Willunga had only kicked a total of 10 goals in their past 2 matches whilst Yank had been super competitive in their last 3 to Compass, Creeks and Bays only going down by 3 - 4 goals in each of them
Probably cant read anything into the result at all

With 3 rounds to go i'd say Vh and Myp/Sell are the clear form teams and most peoples pick for the flag whiulst McLaren still needs to be respected as they may still finished top . From what i've seen of Willunga and Compass in recent weeks, neither are capable of taking the flag from the Elim final
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby field of dreams » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:55 am

McLaren 24: GPE, EB, Yank
Pongy 22: LC, Will, MtComp
VH 22:Yank, MtComp, LC
Will 20: ST, Pongy, GPE
MtComp 18: EB, VH, Pongy
LC 16: Pongy, GPE, VH

Also, VH reserves kept their finals hopes alive by defeating McLaren who were sitting 2nd on the ladder. VH now sit 6th equal on points with EB in 5th but 4.6% behind. I believe this is the first time they have beaten McLaren since they entered the GSFL. The VH squad is certainly good enough to play finals but will be rueing games they have dropped.
Bays have MtC 8th, McL, ST 7th
VH have Yank 9th, MC 8th, LC 3rd

Having your reserves in the first week or 2 of the finals is a good thing. Pongy, Will, LC and McLaren will be there.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby goddy11 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:35 pm

What's happening at McLaren. They appeared unbeatable until the last few matches.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:57 pm

goddy11 wrote:What's happening at McLaren. They appeared unbeatable until the last few matches.

Won their 1st 10 matches of the season tho they certainly didn't look unbeatable as they scraped home in a few of them . Copped a few injuries i believe including Ellis who has missed the last few games and that's all it takes to struggle to win games with the comp being so even. They play the 3 bottom teams in the last 3 rounds so should finish top although E Bay in Rd 17 is certainly no certainty at all going on form atm.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:40 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
goddy11 wrote:What's happening at McLaren. They appeared unbeatable until the last few matches.

Won their 1st 10 matches of the season tho they certainly didn't look unbeatable as they scraped home in a few of them . Copped a few injuries i believe including Ellis who has missed the last few games and that's all it takes to struggle to win games with the comp being so even. They play the 3 bottom teams in the last 3 rounds so should finish top although E Bay in Rd 17 is certainly no certainty at all going on form atm.

I was at McLaren on Saturday
McLaren were missing their midfield - Also too short for VH
VH were very good though - some weapons in the forward lines
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:59 pm

Rd 16 guesses

Compass v Bays - Crucial Compass win this so they dont leave the door ajar for the Creeks to grab 5th. Wet conditions, gonna be a low scoring slog one feels. Compass have more to lose so is the tip by 8 points

Myp/Sell v Creeks - Creeks need at least 1 upset in their last 3 matches against either Myp/Sell or Victor to heap the pressure on Compass. Today is probably their best chance but tip would have to be the Mudlarks still. Myp/Sell by 19 points

McLaren will demolish GPE - Being wet may reduce the margin. McLaren by 91 points

Strath host Willunga - Interesting game this, Willunga been in average form lately and cant take much notice of there huge win last week. Strath have been terrible since mid season only beating GPE last week after losing 5 on the trot. Tip - Willunga but not with huge confidence as Strath has traditionally done well against them even when theyre the rank underdog. Willunga by 16 points

Victor will easily beat Yank from anything between 60 and 160 points
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby field of dreams » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:38 pm

Yep the head says your on the money JJ.

Still, wouldn’t be surprised if the bays, creek (or even strath but less likely) get up.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy