SANFL Junior codes

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: SANFL Junior codes

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:39 am

The Bedge wrote:I think I'd prefer to not have a set round when they re-grade - don't say after Rd 4 we will do it and it's locked in. Seems like too many clubs/teams are aware of this and find ways to manipulate.

If a division looks even, leave it.. if there is a clear gap, fix it.. whether it be Rd 4, Rd 7 or whatever.

Tend to disagree with this. However.....

Last year we had a team like Lockleys girls, who hadn't won a game all year the previous year and were put in a Div where we thought they might be competitive. In the first 4 games they didn't score. We, as a committee, asked them to be dropped at least 1 grade. They did. They played a team mid table and still didn't score. So 5 games in, they hadn't scored. I asked the SANFL to re-regrade them and was told no.

There are exceptional circumstances, but as a committee member I see what goes into the off field stuff as well. Canteen rosters, clashes with schedules where coaches have kids in other age groups etc. It's not easy to work though. I'd rather they do grading pre season (via trial matches) and then re-regrade if necessary after R3. That leaves say 11 rounds to play a 'proper' comp and make the divisions smaller and hence closer, rather than regrade throughout the season.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:46 am

gadj1976 wrote:I'd rather they do grading pre season (via trial matches) and then re-regrade if necessary after R3. That leaves say 11 rounds to play a 'proper' comp and make the divisions smaller and hence closer, rather than regrade throughout the season.

I'd support that.. perhaps the SANFL could schedule two trial game rounds for pre-season for clubs and monitor those results.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:35 pm

The Bedge wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:I'd rather they do grading pre season (via trial matches) and then re-regrade if necessary after R3. That leaves say 11 rounds to play a 'proper' comp and make the divisions smaller and hence closer, rather than regrade throughout the season.

I'd support that.. perhaps the SANFL could schedule two trial game rounds for pre-season for clubs and monitor those results.

Realising that this would be compromised due to other commitments for kids during this time but at least it's a guide.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby MoP » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:12 pm

I think the problem is twofold:
( 1) SANFL Juniors don't appear overly concerned about how even/competitive a division is; and
( 2) Some clubs deliberately understate the division they want to be in because they are more concerned about winning a flag than actually improving their kids' skill level.

It's a little bit harder with the girls competition, but given the boys age groups are every year (not 2 years like the girls), the SANFL should be able to tell from the previous season where a team should be graded. Clubs would then need to justify their request for a higher/lower grade based on player gains/losses.
MoP
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby MoP » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:19 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:I can confirm they do, but are hamstrung by the rules and regs which state that teams can't be regraded more than 1 division. Also, a team that has been regraded, can't be re-regraded after playing a game in that competition. A team that hasn't been regraded wont generally be regraded after Rd4.

I don't agree with it, because I've said numerous times to them that its ridiculous.

That's honestly stupid.

I don't "know" but I do believe Glenunga got a few girls back into their D1 side from SANFLW clubs, hence strengthening their D3 side. This makes it even more difficult to manage.

I'll be happy to be corrected by someone at Glenunga though.

I spoke to a mate over the weekend who has a daughter in one of Glenunga's U17.5 girls teams. Apparently they haven't regained any girls from SANFLW clubs. One girl (S Thredgold maybe) played a few games in the SANFLW development league and wanted to play with friends in the Div 3 team, but after 1 game moved up into their Div 1 team. He said both sides barely have enough for the 20-player game day squads.
MoP
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:23 pm

Elizabeth been re-graded in U12's
The Bedge
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:42 pm

MoP wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:I can confirm they do, but are hamstrung by the rules and regs which state that teams can't be regraded more than 1 division. Also, a team that has been regraded, can't be re-regraded after playing a game in that competition. A team that hasn't been regraded wont generally be regraded after Rd4.

I don't agree with it, because I've said numerous times to them that its ridiculous.

That's honestly stupid.

I don't "know" but I do believe Glenunga got a few girls back into their D1 side from SANFLW clubs, hence strengthening their D3 side. This makes it even more difficult to manage.

I'll be happy to be corrected by someone at Glenunga though.

I spoke to a mate over the weekend who has a daughter in one of Glenunga's U17.5 girls teams. Apparently they haven't regained any girls from SANFLW clubs. One girl (S Thredgold maybe) played a few games in the SANFLW development league and wanted to play with friends in the Div 3 team, but after 1 game moved up into their Div 1 team. He said both sides barely have enough for the 20-player game day squads.

Thanks for clarifying MoP.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Hector » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:12 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Realising that this would be compromised due to other commitments for kids during this time but at least it's a guide.

I would think results would be less true in trial matches than in proper rounds.

Maybe get rid of divisions altogether. Everyone plays everyone at random (with maybe some educated guesses at who is equal). At the halfway point of the season (or some other designated time), split the teams then. If currently 5 divisions, split everyone into 5 groups based on ladder position and play everyone in your group for a chance at that specific flag.
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:14 pm

Hector wrote:Maybe get rid of divisions altogether. Everyone plays everyone at random (with maybe some educated guesses at who is equal). At the halfway point of the season (or some other designated time), split the teams then. If currently 5 divisions, split everyone into 5 groups based on ladder position and play everyone in your group for a chance at that specific flag.

That's not the worst idea either.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Chappy » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:30 pm

Hector wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

I would think results would be less true in trial matches than in proper rounds.

Maybe get rid of divisions altogether. Everyone plays everyone at random (with maybe some educated guesses at who is equal). At the halfway point of the season (or some other designated time), split the teams then. If currently 5 divisions, split everyone into 5 groups based on ladder position and play everyone in your group for a chance at that specific flag.

Rate that. Kids ain't tanking multiple games for a flag. Parents/Coaches cant influence half a season like they may be able to a few early games.

Always going to be a couple Lucky/unlucky sides regardless of how its done. This would be worth the heirachy at least looking at.
Chappy
Rookie

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby jo172 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:01 pm

jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:54 pm

Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:54 pm

A junior football player was allegedly struck by an opposition official during an U13 boys SANFL match between North Haven and Fitzroy at the weekend.

The SANFL has launched an investigation into the incident after the match at Sam Johnson Sportsground was abandoned on Sunday with the violent altercation involving club officials and players led to umpires showing two blue cards.

Sources close to The Advertiser who witnessed the event have alleged that in the third quarter a North Haven official ran to the opposite side of the oval and struck a Fitzroy player, with the boy collapsing in pain and the official receiving a blue card as a result.

It is alleged the violent act was in retaliation to a dangerous ‘dump’ tackle during the contest.

The incident sparked a response from both Fitzroy and North Haven officials, who engaged in a scuffle that resulted in a second blue card being shown, effectively ending the game.

According to the SANFL, a blue card can be issued by an umpire or official “who deems off-field behaviour to be unacceptable”.

Games can restart after one blue card but will be abandoned after two, with the score wiped.

“I was in shock, it was probably the worst thing I’ve seen on a footy field,” an onlooker told The Advertiser.

The SANFL has since launched an investigation into the incident.

“We are aware of an incident during the quarter of an U13s game between North Haven and Fitzroy which resulted in the umpire issuing two blue cards and abandoning the game,” a SANFL spokeswoman said.

“We have zero tolerance to behaviours that do not meet the standards we expect of players, officials, families and spectators,’’ the spokeswoman said.

“As such, SANFL staff will now undertake a full investigation of the incident including consideration of appropriate penalties and/or sanctions.’’

Unacceptable behaviour by players, spectators and club officials in local junior football has been an increasing issue in recent seasons.

At the end of last season, SANFL revealed the SANFL juniors competition “had received 73 poor coach ratings by umpires, and had seen 15 blue cards for abuse from varying coaches, spectators and other club officials”.

The number of red, yellow and blue cards shown to players and officials has only increased this season, with Adelaide’s junior footballers earning themselves three times as many red cards this year as last season.

Initial fines of $100 were introduced for individual breaches of initiatives that require coaches and other officials to be seated during games, while a new coach behaviour strategy could have coaches fined as a result of two poor ratings, and suspended two matches after a third poor rating.

SA Police also confirmed it was investigating Sunday’s incident.

“Police are aware of an incident which occured at the Sam Johnson Sportsground and the matter is being investigated,” a SAPOL spokesmansaid.

“Anyone with information is asked to contact crime stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online at www.crimestoppers.sa.com.au”.

Both the North Haven and Fitzroy football clubs declined comment.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:58 pm

Sounds bloody horrible, especially if an adult has hit a kid.

Ive been doing the red shirt job in the u17.5's this year and while there have been some minor incidents overall all clubs, except one, have managed their teams very well and its been a good tight competition.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby jo172 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:02 pm

In what world you’d ever hit or make contact with a 12 year old. Astonishing stuff
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:44 am

wtf is wrong with people????? I'd never speak to my parents again if they did that...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Arch44 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:03 pm

Disgraceful. The idiot probably thought he wouldn't get seen because of the mound at Fitzroy.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:07 pm

Only just clicked that this was the last game of the season.

This confirms my experience while on committees that junior parents seem to go insane at the end of the year.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby The Bedge » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:03 am

First week of junior finals - pretty proud of our club having each of the 3 premiership sides reach finals after having no sides play finals last year and having a bit of an exodus over the pre-season.

Looked at times like we wouldn't have a 13's or 14's side, but persevered and with the support of our 12's managed to get through with each side and to make finals was an incredible achievement.

Sadly our 12's and 13's were belted yesterday, but that's ok - they'll learn from it. Our 14's with an incredible come from behind win in the dying seconds over North Haven was incredible. Whilst a great win for our 14's, couldn't help but feel for the young Haven kids, the heartbreak was real, but geez they were gallant all day and amazingly humble in defeat.

Shout out to the Woodville South and North Haven clubs and supporters - came in droves to Rowe Park, created such a great atmosphere. Also having our 12s captain KO'd early in the game and taken to hospital, was really thoughtful and appreciative of the Woody South club to reach out last night and see how he was.

Overall a really good day of footy and well done to all kids playing finals this year whether you win or lose.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:08 pm

That is what it is all about, high emotions at this time of year for all the kids but this gets them engaged in the game and their local club, win or lose.

My son is playing in SANFL Juniors again this year (u17.5's) and I can't speak highly enough of how playing in it has improved his footy, while its only a 5 team comp every game is very competitive which has been fantastic and enhanced the development of the lads significantly. We have to travel nearly a hour to every away game (we have only had 5 homes games) but we are more than happy to do it when you see the benefits it delivers.

2 great close games at Gaza yesterday confirmed how close the comp is, special mention to the umps who copped some unfair abuse from over the fence in both games which is still disappointing to witness, but they handled it very well in giving the clubs some warnings which defused the situation. Im sure its a resourcing issue but it would be great to see a umpire coach of some sort there to support the kids and assist with any issues.
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League