SANFL Junior codes

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: SANFL Junior codes

Postby MoP » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:That is what it is all about, high emotions at this time of year for all the kids but this gets them engaged in the game and their local club, win or lose.

My son is playing in SANFL Juniors again this year (u17.5's) and I can't speak highly enough of how playing in it has improved his footy, while its only a 5 team comp every game is very competitive which has been fantastic and enhanced the development of the lads significantly. We have to travel nearly a hour to every away game (we have only had 5 homes games) but we are more than happy to do it when you see the benefits it delivers.

2 great close games at Gaza yesterday confirmed how close the comp is, special mention to the umps who copped some unfair abuse from over the fence in both games which is still disappointing to witness, but they handled it very well in giving the clubs some warnings which defused the situation. Im sure its a resourcing issue but it would be great to see a umpire coach of some sort there to support the kids and assist with any issues.

I was out at Glenunga yesterday and there appeared to be an umpire's coach for the field umpires, as well as the boundary umpires. I'm not really sure that 3 field umpires are required for a girls' game, though.

On another note, I'm not a fan of the SANFL Juniors leaving it up to opposition clubs to decide whether to enforce the equalisation policy or not. The policy is in effect all season, so I don't know why it isn't for the finals. It's the same for game day squads for the Grand Finals. You can only take 20 (girls) to each game during the minor round and the early finals, so I don't know why the GF should be any different. And, if it is different, why don't SANFL Juniors say that clubs can use ALL qualified players, rather than, again, leaving it up to individual opposition clubs??
MoP
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:14 pm

MoP wrote:
Dutchy wrote:That is what it is all about, high emotions at this time of year for all the kids but this gets them engaged in the game and their local club, win or lose.

My son is playing in SANFL Juniors again this year (u17.5's) and I can't speak highly enough of how playing in it has improved his footy, while its only a 5 team comp every game is very competitive which has been fantastic and enhanced the development of the lads significantly. We have to travel nearly a hour to every away game (we have only had 5 homes games) but we are more than happy to do it when you see the benefits it delivers.

2 great close games at Gaza yesterday confirmed how close the comp is, special mention to the umps who copped some unfair abuse from over the fence in both games which is still disappointing to witness, but they handled it very well in giving the clubs some warnings which defused the situation. Im sure its a resourcing issue but it would be great to see a umpire coach of some sort there to support the kids and assist with any issues.

I was out at Glenunga yesterday and there appeared to be an umpire's coach for the field umpires, as well as the boundary umpires. I'm not really sure that 3 field umpires are required for a girls' game, though.

On another note, I'm not a fan of the SANFL Juniors leaving it up to opposition clubs to decide whether to enforce the equalisation policy or not. The policy is in effect all season, so I don't know why it isn't for the finals. It's the same for game day squads for the Grand Finals. You can only take 20 (girls) to each game during the minor round and the early finals, so I don't know why the GF should be any different. And, if it is different, why don't SANFL Juniors say that clubs can use ALL qualified players, rather than, again, leaving it up to individual opposition clubs??

Interesting - that was the game I was runner in. The 17.5 girls game. The umpires coach was standing next to us for the duration of the game. First time we have had three umpires all season and the consistency was lacking throughout.

The umpires coach advised the umpires they did a great job and had to advise the boundary umpire where to stand at the centre bounce (shock). Then told one of the younger boundary umpires to tuck her shirt in.

As far as equalisation - I don't understand it either. It's a rule during the season but not in finals. What we've worked out, when we've evened up, is that it disadvantages the side with more players as more rotations need to take place and there are more gaps on the field - especially if they take away the wings.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby MoP » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:58 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
MoP wrote:

Interesting - that was the game I was runner in. The 17.5 girls game. The umpires coach was standing next to us for the duration of the game. First time we have had three umpires all season and the consistency was lacking throughout.

The umpires coach advised the umpires they did a great job and had to advise the boundary umpire where to stand at the centre bounce (shock). Then told one of the younger boundary umpires to tuck her shirt in.

As far as equalisation - I don't understand it either. It's a rule during the season but not in finals. What we've worked out, when we've evened up, is that it disadvantages the side with more players as more rotations need to take place and there are more gaps on the field - especially if they take away the wings.

Yeah, I haven't seen 3 umpires all season. Found it rather odd, and unnecessary. Certainly didn't help with the consistency of decision making either.

It looked like Tim Weatherald was running for Glenunga, so presume you must be with Modbury. Aside from the first quarter, it was a very even game. Might need to get your coaching panel to stop umpiring from the sidelines and giving away free kicks, though!

The equalisation policy disadvantages the team with more players when they have less-skilled kids in the team. You need to give them a run, so when you rotate them onto the field, it opens up the game for the opposition. Either way, though, the rules should be the same all season.
MoP
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:55 am

I found it strange the equalisation policy was optional for finals. I think players should be able to play up a grade if they’ve played the 5 club games instead of requiring an exemption / permit - this might at least help with sides who have less players to “top up”.

On umpire coaches - I thought most finals had a coach present? Was comms last week that was going to be the case?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:04 am

The Bedge wrote:I found it strange the equalisation policy was optional for finals. I think players should be able to play up a grade if they’ve played the 5 club games instead of requiring an exemption / permit - this might at least help with sides who have less players to “top up”.

On umpire coaches - I thought most finals had a coach present? Was comms last week that was going to be the case?

That rule is very fluid. I think the SANFL will let you if you are short of numbers but not if you are full/close to full. The reasoning is pretty simple - they don't want you stacking your side with better players from underneath, and usual players (usually 'weaker') get pushed out or spend less time on the ground.

I agree with the rule.

We've had a few games where the umpires had a mentor present, but only the minority.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:08 am

Yeah fair enough, guess in my head I struggle to think a kid from a lower grade is better than kids in the higher grades - but when you think about it.. yeah you’re right haha
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:59 am

The Bedge wrote:I found it strange the equalisation policy was optional for finals. I think players should be able to play up a grade if they’ve played the 5 club games instead of requiring an exemption / permit - this might at least help with sides who have less players to “top up”.

This rule is in play in country leagues, esp ones where they get kids back from SANFL/College for finals, unfortunately you then see kids that have been playing all year miss out come finals which doesn't sit right with me.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:51 am

Speaking of country leagues - being able to field sides in two competitions? Thoughts?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:

This rule is in play in country leagues, esp ones where they get kids back from SANFL/College for finals, unfortunately you then see kids that have been playing all year miss out come finals which doesn't sit right with me.

Double edge sword, if you dont create a space or club the SANFL/College kids feel they can come back to then you are very likely to lose them once they finish college/SANFL.

You play them and like you said you will upsetting a local kid who has played all year and risk losing them.

At a guess most clubs are probably running with the 'who would you rather lose' theory.......rightly or wrongly the better player and better 'long term A Grade prospect' more often than not will be the SANFL/College kid (obviously not always the case but more often than not)

Ultimately 22 doesn't go into 21....

My club doesnt have that problem as our senior colts rarely if ever play finals which is the alternative. :roll: :lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5590 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:10 pm

The Bedge wrote:Speaking of country leagues - being able to field sides in two competitions? Thoughts?

Hate it......

Is this in reference to Angle Vale.
whufc
Coach

Postby jo172 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:22 pm

The Bedge wrote:Speaking of country leagues - being able to field sides in two competitions? Thoughts?

Is this materially different to being able to field multiple teams in one age group?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby S Demon » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:32 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

That rule is very fluid. I think the SANFL will let you if you are short of numbers but not if you are full/close to full. The reasoning is pretty simple - they don't want you stacking your side with better players from underneath, and usual players (usually 'weaker') get pushed out or spend less time on the ground.

I agree with the rule.

We've had a few games where the umpires had a mentor present, but only the minority.

You only have to look at the U15 Div 4 results from Rd 14 between HV & FP and the Qualifying Final the following week to see what a difference 5 x U14 Div 2 players can make to a Div 4 U15 side...
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:53 pm

jo172 wrote:

Is this materially different to being able to field multiple teams in one age group?

It’s more like same team in two comps on different days.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby jo172 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:00 pm

I find purely old schols clubs like SHOC playing SANFL juniors to be more weird tbh
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Bluedemon » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:07 pm

some hills league clubs play in the SANFL juniors and the Hills League juniors
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:27 pm

whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Double edge sword, if you dont create a space or club the SANFL/College kids feel they can come back to then you are very likely to lose them once they finish college/SANFL.

You play them and like you said you will upsetting a local kid who has played all year and risk losing them.

At a guess most clubs are probably running with the 'who would you rather lose' theory.......rightly or wrongly the better player and better 'long term A Grade prospect' more often than not will be the SANFL/College kid (obviously not always the case but more often than not)

My club doesnt have that problem as our senior colts rarely if ever play finals which is the alternative. :roll: :lol:

If they play in their age group no issues, what Im talking about is a talented u16 who has played all his local games for the u16's then rolls out for the u18's in the finals if their u16's didnt make the finals or have a week off, hence knocking out a u18 kid who has played all year, Ive seen this a bit.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:29 pm

Bluedemon wrote:some hills league clubs play in the SANFL juniors and the Hills League juniors

Only because of player numbers, they don't play the same team in both comps e.g. Blackwood run 14/16/18's in the Saturday Hills comp and 13's/15's/17.5's in the SANFL Juniors
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:37 pm

Part of me thinks it's good for fast tracking player development, part of me thinks it's unfair on those clubs who are unable to do so. Also wonder how it works with the "25 junior game" rule - you could effectively rack up 25 games in one season.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby jo172 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:49 pm

The Bedge wrote:Part of me thinks it's good for fast tracking player development, part of me thinks it's unfair on those clubs who are unable to do so. Also wonder how it works with the "25 junior game" rule - you could effectively rack up 25 games in one season.

You would think logically it would be the same rule as finals qualification, i.e one game per weekend counts, but really, who's doing the maths?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:39 pm

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

If they play in their age group no issues, what Im talking about is a talented u16 who has played all his local games for the u16's then rolls out for the u18's in the finals if their u16's didnt make the finals or have a week off, hence knocking out a u18 kid who has played all year, Ive seen this a bit.

Ok yeah and completely agree with you
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League