Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:07 am

Round 18 and in such a closely contested season it's a bit of a surprise that it appears results will have little consequence on the Top 5.
Unless McLaren have a shock loss to Yank the top 5 pretty much will remain the same with the exception of maybe Willungs swapping with Compass in 4th and 5th spot which means little.

Strath host E Bay and both will be ruing a season of missed opportunities with both at times showing they were more than capable of matching it with the top teams but consistency has let them down. E Bay probably have the better form but just dont seem to know how to win the close ones.
Strath by 4 points

GPE v Willunga - GPE cant wait til 5.00pm Saturday to end a miserable last 5 - 6 weeks of footy where they have been unceremoniously SMASHED from pillar to post. Willunga havent been in good form either with their only win in their last 5 matches being against bottom placed Yank :shock: Losing to Compass, Creeks, Strath and Myp/Sell. and are probably lucky to be playing finals.
Willunga by 157 points

Victor host the Creeks in a match of little consequence. I'd expect Victor with the excitement of finals ahead to have a decisive win against the Creeks who have endured a very tough year with a long injury list to key players no doubt costing them a finals spot.
Victor by 34 points

Myp/Sell host Compass . Both teams would be happy with their seasons so far and the result will have little consequence as to Finals next week tho i guess both teams would like to hit the Finals with a win under their belt.
Mudlarks by 22 points

Mclaren host Yank. McLaren im guessing would probably have the shakiest form of any minor premier coming into finals for a very long time. On the back of their 1 point win last week over the Bays, it looks like they'll fall in to hold top spot assuming they account for Yank who to their credit have been pretty competitive in the 2nd half of the season. McLaren will be looking for a solid work out as they'll barring a monumental upset have a week off next week before facing a battle hardened Myp/Sell or Victor in the 2nd Semi at Encounter Bay.
McLaren by 46 points
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby field of dreams » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:16 am

Great summary and preview JJ.

Mostly same same except I’m leaning toward Bays over Strath.

VH vs LC will be interesting. VH were outplayed at Compass last week after winning 6 in a row (including McLaren and Myponga). They won’t be at full strength so can they flick the switch back on?

I’m looking forward to seeing how the B grade plays out at VH today. The same sides will play off in the elimination final next week. Creek were far too good in round 9 with a 56 point drubbing, but VH have been found some form as the season has progressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:39 pm

field of dreams wrote:I’m looking forward to seeing how the B grade plays out at VH today. The same sides will play off in the elimination final next week. Creek were far too good in round 9 with a 56 point drubbing, but VH have been found some form as the season has progressed.

Always a bit weird playing a team in the last Minor round game knowing you're playing them the following week regardless of the result.
Creeks B Grade has been weakened as the season has gone on, losing players to A Grade to cover numerous gaps which has cost them a Top 3 spot. With the Creeks A Grade unusually not playing Finals one might think their B Grade might benefit but this isn't the case as several B Graders that have been up in A Grade in the 2nd half of the season to cover injuries indicated a few weeks ago that they wanted to stay in A Grade and continue to get experience at that level rather than drop back the last game or 2 to qualify for B Grade which is a real credit to them.
Junior colts also sees the same scenario with Victor and Creek playing next week again .
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby goddy11 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:34 am

field of dreams wrote:Looks like Butcher has decided he’s a Pongy player with Maffra out of final’s contention.
I wonder how happy the people in power are with the way the clearances in and out have been handled.

Watched him yesterday. Looked poor and not interested imho. :( I hope he lifts for the finals.

The match itself was very entertaining. Pongy led all match but MC was always pegging the lead back. I thought well umpired as well. (Apart from a disallowed Pony goal where the player ran too far. ;) )
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby field of dreams » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:13 am

field of dreams wrote:Great summary and preview JJ.

Mostly same same except I’m leaning toward Bays over Strath.

VH vs LC will be interesting. VH were outplayed at Compass last week after winning 6 in a row (including McLaren and Myponga). They won’t be at full strength so can they flick the switch back on?

I’m looking forward to seeing how the B grade plays out at VH today. The same sides will play off in the elimination final next week. Creek were far too good in round 9 with a 56 point drubbing, but VH have been found some form as the season has progressed.

Gees JJ must be on a fair old mad Monday!

Willunga just got some blank and white witches hats out and had another training run. 203 points!

McLaren took the sword to Yank to with a 107 point win.

Hard fought affair between Pongy and Compass with the quarter by quarter margins only 1pt, 4pts, 20pts and 14pts. With 20 scoring shots to 11 perhaps it should have been a bigger win but a good hit out for finals all the same.

The Strath v Bays game would have been entertaining with plenty of goals kicked and bays overcoming a 15 point half time deficit to run away by 6 goals.

The Victor v Creek clash was a bit of a strange game. Creeks still had plenty of their best missing and Victor rested some players. The northern end was favoured by the breeze and Victor had kicked 5 before Creek got on the board. 5-5 to 2-0 at the first break.

The second quarter saw a more even tussle, except on the scoreboard. Creek capitalised on Victor mistakes and transitioned from defence to score goals at will, whereas Victor were wasteful. 7-0 from Creek to 2-4 left creek ahead at the long break 9-0 to 7-9.

Victor came out on a mission in the 3rd and totally dominated in one of their biggest quarters for the year kicking 11-3 to 1-1 to take an 18-12 to 10-1 lead into the last.

With the damage done, creek fought on to win the last 4-4 to 3-2.
Final: 21-14 to 14-5. Stock had his most fruitful day of the year with 7 majors.

Earlier, VH B’s turned around that 56 point loss to a 66 point win. It will be interesting to see how many Creek get back for the elimination when they clash again.

Hopefully some reasonable weather this week will leave McLaren and Pongy ovals in good shape for this weeks finals.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Turfie » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:40 pm

The magpies may have been witches hats FOD, but let’s not forget that without them, you wouldn’t have a team on the park

And maybe let’s just reflect on the 4 wooden spoons victor won in 2021. An unprecedented achievement. And that was with Boyd and Guilhaus on $2500 a game
Turfie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby field of dreams » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:02 pm

Sorry Turfie, that was a bit disrespectful. Not usually my style.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby jackpot jim » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:21 am

field of dreams wrote:
The Victor v Creek clash was a bit of a strange game. Creeks still had plenty of their best missing and Victor rested some players. The northern end was favoured by the breeze and Victor had kicked 5 before Creek got on the board. 5-5 to 2-0 at the first break.

The second quarter saw a more even tussle, except on the scoreboard. Creek capitalised on Victor mistakes and transitioned from defence to score goals at will, whereas Victor were wasteful. 7-0 from Creek to 2-4 left creek ahead at the long break 9-0 to 7-9.

Victor came out on a mission in the 3rd and totally dominated in one of their biggest quarters for the year kicking 11-3 to 1-1 to take an 18-12 to 10-1 lead into the last.

With the damage done, creek fought on to win the last 4-4 to 3-2.
Final: 21-14 to 14-5. Stock had his most fruitful day of the year with 7 majors.

Earlier, VH B’s turned around that 56 point loss to a 66 point win. It will be interesting to see how many Creek get back for the elimination when they clash again.

Fair summation of the A Grade game. Creeks accuracy kept them in the game. And yes the ease with which the Creeks transitioned the ball from defense to score goals with ease in the 2nd term is one thing Victor need to look at tightening up.
Having said that i dont know how much can be taken out of the game with both teams having many players missing. Creeks i counted as having up to 9 of their best starting 21 missing. That in turn has affected their B Grade in the back half of the season.
I've heard Creek B Grade will have up to 8 INs for the Elim Final so expecting a lot closer result than the 66 point loss on Saturday tho heard that Victor will be further strengthened as well
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:47 pm

And indeed the B Grade Elim Final was a lot closer with it being a Draw :shock: with Victor going onto win in Extra time.

A Grade finals over the weekend were both cliffhangers which was not at all surprising given how close the comp has been all season.
Myp/Sellicks stopped to a walk in the last quarter to fall in against Victor by 3 points whilst Willunga scraped in by 1 point to Eliminate Compass
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby goddy11 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:44 pm

jackpot jim wrote:And indeed the B Grade Elim Final was a lot closer with it being a Draw :shock: with Victor going onto win in Extra time.

A Grade finals over the weekend were both cliffhangers which was not at all surprising given how close the comp has been all season.
Myp/Sellicks stopped to a walk in the last quarter to fall in against Victor by 3 points whilst Willunga scraped in by 1 point to Eliminate Compass

Watch Pongy on the footy app. That last 1/4 was heart attach stuff. Congrats Pongy hanging on for so long. The second half of the last 1/4 was entirely in the VH forward line. Now to get into the GF. \:D/
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby field of dreams » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:12 am

goddy11 wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:And indeed the B Grade Elim Final was a lot closer with it being a Draw :shock: with Victor going onto win in Extra time.

Watch Pongy on the footy app. That last 1/4 was heart attach stuff. Congrats Pongy hanging on for so long. The second half of the last 1/4 was entirely in the VH forward line. Now to get into the GF. \:D/
Yeah it certainly was. Was a good tough finals hitout. Pongy started best but Victor fought back to lead by a goal at quarter time. The second was all Pongy and Victor were lucky they didn’t put more score on the board (4-6 to 1-1). Victor whittled away at the lead in each of the last 2 quarters and pongy defended the constant attack in the last to hold on by 3 points.

The As and Bs on Sunday were even bigger heart testers with 2 draws at full time. Despite the Sunny day conditions for footy were very trying in the strong wind. Sides still managed to score into it and those scores were crucial.
I was surprised victor got up in the end of the Bs as it took till then second half for them to switch on and imo creek had looked the better side.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Cheap Seats » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:28 am

Hearing there might be a change at Myponga, with Shillabeer to take the reins as a Playing coach? The question is being asked on the BL&G page too, so must be some truth to it?
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:02 am

Gonna be interesting to see what team the Creeks put on the park next season :?
The word on the street is that the change of coach hasn't gone down well with all. Have heard a number of retirements are imminent as well as rumors of quite a few of their top end players receiving no shortage of offers to be lured away from Hawk Park.
Interesting times ahead
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby field of dreams » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:31 pm

jackpot jim wrote:Gonna be interesting to see what team the Creeks put on the park next season :?
The word on the street is that the change of coach hasn't gone down well with all. Have heard a number of retirements are imminent as well as rumors of quite a few of their top end players receiving no shortage of offers to be lured away from Hawk Park.
Interesting times ahead
I was surprised with the the decision.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Killa » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:37 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:Hearing there might be a change at Myponga, with Shillabeer to take the reins as a Playing coach? The question is being asked on the BL&G page too, so must be some truth to it?

I hear his better half plays netball at Mypo as well.
Killa
Under 18s

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby Cheap Seats » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:33 am

Killa wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:Hearing there might be a change at Myponga, with Shillabeer to take the reins as a Playing coach? The question is being asked on the BL&G page too, so must be some truth to it?

I hear his better half plays netball at Mypo as well.

Might become the Best paid netballer in the state haha. Although maybe those type of idea's leave with his predecessor?
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Been liked: 24 times

Postby Newkid » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:58 pm

jackpot jim wrote:Gonna be interesting to see what team the Creeks put on the park next season :?
Interesting times ahead

Lol bloody sooks time for a change I reckon need an outsider to come in and shake up the boys club down there and get some results on the park! the players if they leave/ retire may be missed but are certainly not irreplaceable.
Newkid
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby jackpot jim » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:16 am

Newkid wrote:
Interesting times ahead

Lol bloody sooks time for a change I reckon need an outsider to come in and shake up the boys club down there and get some results on the park! the players if they leave/ retire may be missed but are certainly not irreplaceable.

Will respectively disagree
Results?
2018 Premiers
2019 Premiers
2020 Premiers
2021 Runners Up
2022 4th (Good effort considering the players that left and injuries)
2023 6th (Disappointing not to make finals but would have challenged for the Flag had it not been for a horrendous run with injuries to their top players which often saw them without 6 - 8 of their top players most weeks.

Time will tell what players leave (one already confirmed and i'm hearing quite a few others tho a couple are unrelated to the change of coach - Retiring, work commitments ) but it's gonna be a neat trick to replace them with equivalent talent.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:47 pm

Footy clubs are so impatient.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:12 am

Dutchy wrote:Footy clubs are so impatient.

Generally driven by committees. You don't get glory/accolades/ego boosts for the long-term strategy you have in place. If you're not a winner you're the first loser. ;) :lol: :lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy