ASCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: ASCA

Postby Keefy » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:37 am

Harry49 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Are Sutton-Derby a new club?

Where are they based? And what does the name mean?

New club that was founded by a self-proclaimed legend of cricket. Check out their Facebook page, i've never seen more self-love and admiration in my life. Good luck to them.

I think they will be wanting to use a ground at Victoria Park
Looks straight in to Section 1 as well

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Barkeroo » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:58 am

Harry49 wrote:

New club that was founded by a self-proclaimed legend of cricket. Check out their Facebook page, i've never seen more self-love and admiration in my life. Good luck to them.

Just took a look at the Facebook page. Not wrong about the self admiration :lol:
Barkeroo
Rookie

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:19 pm

Barkeroo wrote:
Harry49 wrote:

Just took a look at the Facebook page. Not wrong about the self admiration :lol:

I honestly don't there is enough photos of the guy holding a bat, or showing us his stats. very modest
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby storyoftheyear » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:36 pm

As if a club can just be put straight into Sec 1 based on some old stats of a player or two…?

Why don’t they:

A) keep the section as usual (with Pt Noarlunga up and Cove down). Noticed no player transfers have been transferred out of the team who has apparently lost a bunch of Sec 1 players. Surely you cant just ask to be demoted from Sec 1 based on what a few players have said in the offseason?

or

B) promote another Sec 2 side thats played finals for a few years…?
storyoftheyear
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:18 am

From the WYCCC Facebook page :

As a committee we have set a new guideline that we would be fully transparent and open to our members and as such we would like to bring everyone in on a decision that the committee has made with the long term sustainability of the club front of mind.
Due to circumstances out of the clubs control, we have had a large number of our section 1 side from last years semi-final side, plus one or two other section 1 players, unable to commit to this season and beyond.
The majority of these players have been at the club for quite a while and have helped us through some tough times and we thank them for their services to the club.
As a committee we are not trying to dwell on what has happened in the past but are only focused on the future. The club is investing a lot of resources into rebuilding our junior program (you may have seen updates around this over the past few weeks) and putting focus on creating a good culture for all members of our great club.
This process does not resolve our short term issues however long term will provide us with great benefit.
The reality of this situation is that our depth is being greatly tested with our B grade side down in section 5 and level of cricket played in this section is vastly different to section 1.
With these points in mind and after consultation with current and past members of the club we feel we need a circuit breaking moment and have advised the association of our intentions to not be in section 1 this up coming season but we will still be registering 3 teams this summer and the intention to return to the T20 format.
We believe that this is the best way for us to get our club back to the success of the past but also keep the club around for many years to come. We also believe that by doing this we can rise back up through the ranks (back to section 1) with all teams going up as one to keep the jump between grades manageable.
We are yet to hear back from the association as to what grade that will be entered into but we will make that public knowledge as soon as we find out.
We can understand that our members, players and supporters will have questions in regards to this decision, and we encourage you to reach out to a member of the committee to have those questions answered. This has been a difficult situation to work through as there are many stakeholders within the 4 walls of the club.
Rest assured, even though this has been a less than ideal scenario for the club on the field, the committee are working tirelessly to make sure the club is in the best position possible to build towards being strong both on and off the field for many years to come.

A bitter pill to swallow but one that has felt inevitable for some time. I imagine many clubs have or will experience similar issues in the years ahead as player retention becomes more difficult and the renewed focus on our junior program is a welcoem one for me.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby V0ice0fthev0iceless » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:06 pm

So it sounds like Western Youth will likely get their wish and will drop out of Section 1. I think even with their supposed losses, and with the amount of players they've had come in to the club, they would be a better option to remain in Section 1. My thoughts are that a new club with one side only shouldn't be granted entry in to Section 1, as you run the risk of a forfeit in your highest section should there be any availability issues with Sutton-Derby. There are sides like St Johns who probably have the quality to challenge themselves in Section 1, however, it would be a similar risk to with Sutton-Derby, as they only have one side.

If Western Youth are to drop down as they've requested, I think the most viable option would be for North Haven to come up. I understand the desire to "earn" ones spot in the highest section, however, if the competition has a need, you'd think a club who is playing to earn the right to play Section 1 might jump at the opportunity to take it.

Other alternatives that would likely be frowned upon would be approaching clubs that are just outside of ASCA zones like a Kangarilla, Meadows or Noarlunga, and asking if they'd be keen to join the competition and enter at Section 1 level.

A very interesting few weeks ahead!
V0ice0fthev0iceless
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby whitepointers » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:41 pm

Booney wrote:From the WYCCC Facebook page :

As a committee we have set a new guideline that we would be fully transparent and open to our members and as such we would like to bring everyone in on a decision that the committee has made with the long term sustainability of the club front of mind.
Due to circumstances out of the clubs control, we have had a large number of our section 1 side from last years semi-final side, plus one or two other section 1 players, unable to commit to this season and beyond.
The majority of these players have been at the club for quite a while and have helped us through some tough times and we thank them for their services to the club.
As a committee we are not trying to dwell on what has happened in the past but are only focused on the future. The club is investing a lot of resources into rebuilding our junior program (you may have seen updates around this over the past few weeks) and putting focus on creating a good culture for all members of our great club.
This process does not resolve our short term issues however long term will provide us with great benefit.
The reality of this situation is that our depth is being greatly tested with our B grade side down in section 5 and level of cricket played in this section is vastly different to section 1.
With these points in mind and after consultation with current and past members of the club we feel we need a circuit breaking moment and have advised the association of our intentions to not be in section 1 this up coming season but we will still be registering 3 teams this summer and the intention to return to the T20 format.
We believe that this is the best way for us to get our club back to the success of the past but also keep the club around for many years to come. We also believe that by doing this we can rise back up through the ranks (back to section 1) with all teams going up as one to keep the jump between grades manageable.
We are yet to hear back from the association as to what grade that will be entered into but we will make that public knowledge as soon as we find out.
We can understand that our members, players and supporters will have questions in regards to this decision, and we encourage you to reach out to a member of the committee to have those questions answered. This has been a difficult situation to work through as there are many stakeholders within the 4 walls of the club.
Rest assured, even though this has been a less than ideal scenario for the club on the field, the committee are working tirelessly to make sure the club is in the best position possible to build towards being strong both on and off the field for many years to come.

A bitter pill to swallow but one that has felt inevitable for some time. I imagine many clubs have or will experience similar issues in the years ahead as player retention becomes more difficult and the renewed focus on our junior program is a welcoem one for me.

They got 8 INS from Spartans/Fitzroy. Surely some of them are good enough to fill the gap.
Good luck to whichever path they take.
whitepointers
Rookie

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Port Noarlunga

Postby storyoftheyear » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:32 am

If they put Sutton Derby straight into Section 1, I hope they ready themselves to lose any and all credibility. You can’t put a team into Section 1 based on what one bloke has said. Grow a pair and A) make WYC stay up or B) make Morphies or Havens come up.
storyoftheyear
Rookie

Postby storyoftheyear » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:33 am

How did the conversation go at last night’s meeting regarding Section 1?
storyoftheyear
Rookie

Postby storyoftheyear » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:40 pm

Sutton Derby straight into Section 1 based on what one bloke has said. Going to be interesting to see how it plays out. What is everyone’s thoughts on it?
storyoftheyear
Rookie

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:03 pm

WYCCC in :

A Grade - Section 3
B Grade - Section 5
C Grade - Section 9
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Moe » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:29 pm

Is the North Haven team in section 9 their D grade or C grade?
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:46 pm

Moe wrote:Is the North Haven team in section 9 their D grade or C grade?
D Grade
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whitepointers » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:26 pm

There are 4 x C Grade and 2 x B Grade, 2 x D Grade and 2 x E Grade teams in Section 9
whitepointers
Rookie

Postby whitepointers » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:33 pm

Booney wrote:WYCCC in :

A Grade - Section 3
B Grade - Section 5
C Grade - Section 9

Who have they lost to justify such a fall in grades ?
whitepointers
Rookie

Postby Moe » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:48 pm

whitepointers wrote:

There are 4 x C Grade and 2 x B Grade, 2 x D Grade and 2 x E Grade teams in Section 9

B grade teams in section 9!
C grade teams bad enough, but for a club's 2nd best XI playing against a club's 5th team is an absolute idiotic scenario
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby whitepointers » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:59 pm

Moe wrote:
whitepointers wrote:

B grade teams in section 9!
C grade teams bad enough, but for a club's 2nd best XI playing against a club's 5th team is an absolute idiotic scenario

Warradale and Afghan A Grade in Section 8
I pity the ASCA Committee that have to consistently put up with clubs taking the option of not knowing if they are genuine or just wanting an easy flag.
Maybe in the future they should just leave it to promotion and relegation and not be so kind to clubs requests.
whitepointers
Rookie

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:32 pm

ASCA is a shell of it's former self. And that's being polite. Used to be a very strong comp. The standard has dropped off alot
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:03 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:ASCA is a shell of it's former self. And that's being polite. Used to be a very strong comp. The standard has dropped off alot

It's easy to look back and "back in my day" but it certainly, from what I've seen it recent times, was better back in our day.

Some of the guns of the early 00's are still playing Section 1, can't still be playing at the same level 20 years on.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:47 am

Booney wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:ASCA is a shell of it's former self. And that's being polite. Used to be a very strong comp. The standard has dropped off alot

It's easy to look back and "back in my day" but it certainly, from what I've seen it recent times, was better back in our day.

Some of the guns of the early 00's are still playing Section 1, can't still be playing at the same level 20 years on.

I hate using that phrase. But seeing sides like Warradale in section 9 and the standard of section 1 (from what I've seen) and the massive gap from where a team's 1st side plays in, and their second side is massive in some clubs. Section 2 even used to be a very strong comp. With the rare A grade side in it.
The fact that a new side that hasn't played anywhere else can waltz into section1 is poor. Least when WYC came into the comp they had history and multiple teams. Even if they were a club i dislikded 8) ;)
woodublieve12
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps