Port Adelaide 2023

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2023

Postby mots02 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:25 pm

There was a stat on here a few weeks back about how many games port had won by under 10 points, from memory it might have been as many as 6 or 7. All toss of the coin results at the end, all went Ports way. You split those 50/50 and they are in the bottom half of the 8 - about where they probably, actually sit.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Vamos » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:28 pm

mots02 wrote:There was a stat on here a few weeks back about how many games port had won by under 10 points, from memory it might have been as many as 6 or 7. All toss of the coin results at the end, all went Ports way. You split those 50/50 and they are in the bottom half of the 8 - about where they probably, actually sit.

2021 summed up.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Brodlach » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:31 pm

mots02 wrote:There was a stat on here a few weeks back about how many games port had won by under 10 points, from memory it might have been as many as 6 or 7. All toss of the coin results at the end, all went Ports way. You split those 50/50 and they are in the bottom half of the 8 - about where they probably, actually sit.

I don’t subscribe to that theory, a one point win is just as important as a 100 point.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:33 pm

A Houston 60m kick in the wet on the siren away from losing to the basket case that is Essendon. We lost both games to Port by under a kick and we are trash.
Regardless of that though Port did play some excellent footy during the year
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mots02 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:37 pm

Brodlach wrote:

I don’t subscribe to that theory, a one point win is just as important as a 100 point.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda

A 100 point win is convincing and not decided by a lucky bounce, free kick, player slipping over etc which could be the difference in a 1 point win.

Multiple small wins that could have gone either way with more or less luck means they probably ‘pinched’ a couple more wins this year than they might have had in other seasons.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:39 pm

mots02 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Coulda, woulda, shoulda

A 100 point win is convincing and not decided by a lucky bounce, free kick, player slipping over etc which could be the difference in a 1 point win.

Multiple small wins that could have gone either way with more or less luck means they probably ‘pinched’ a couple more wins this year than they might have had in other seasons.

None of the wins during the year really matter once finals start.
Port players failed again when it really matters.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Vamos » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:40 pm

Brodlach wrote:

Coulda, woulda, shoulda

Suck my Kiss?
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby RB » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:03 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
mots02 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Coulda, woulda, shoulda

None of the wins during the year really matter once finals start.
Port players failed again when it really matters.

That's the crux for me.

It's almost as if Kenny prepares the team to be in the best possible position come contract extension talks, rather than come finals time.

For most of his time in charge Port have, at least judging by the ladder, looked like worldbeaters from April to June/July, before tapering off when the pressure is on and it really matters.

He's practically turned the club into frontrunners. No small feat for one bloke.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby MW » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:03 pm

Port should have been more ruthless when Ken played Gold Coast against them and used it to get a big extension.
From then on, they are Ken's bitch.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:14 pm

Koch should never have said end of August, he should have corrected himself and said end of September at his next opportunity.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Trader » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:01 pm

RB wrote:It's almost as if Kenny prepares the team to be in the best possible position come contract extension talks, rather than come finals time.

For most of his time in charge Port have, at least judging by the ladder, looked like worldbeaters from April to June/July, before tapering off when the pressure is on and it really matters.

He's practically turned the club into frontrunners. No small feat for one bloke.

I spoke a while ago (perhaps 5 years?) about a similar observation. Not sure if I posted here or just spoke with mates about it.
But the club went through a clear push to win early games, in an effort to sell memberships in my opinion.
Load up, get up the ladder, sell memberships on that optimism and then crash come September.

It certainly is a pattern.

I know Booney likes to mention the soleless corporation across town, but I can't help but feel Kochie has put profits ahead of premierships. (Not saying we should have won any, but we haven't put our selves in the best possible position, imo).
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:22 pm

Cant agree with that, Kochie actually put the club into more debt when he took over to beef up the footy spend, he was very open about getting the footy department right as their core business, even if that meant carrying the debt - this has been the case. They got the club very competitive again and are now chewing into their debt, it was a high risk strategy however it looks like it will end up working, not sure if they have to raise more debt for the reno's at Alberton or if that is all gov't funded.

Richo seems to have done a great job after the handball pass he rec'd.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:29 pm

If there were grumblings a month ago - they're jungle drums now

Tredrea was right even though he wishes he wasn't.
It's almost as if he spurred them into winning beyond their capability.
Some people may think about apologising to him

I bet the players back Hinkley though.
They backed Primus to the end as well.
Players always do - it's called self interest.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby JK » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:30 pm

Ken seems like a ripper bloke so I've always hoped he would succeed, and I think he has to a degree (taking over a basket case and very quickly making them more than competitive).

I'm not sure he can be held entirely to blame for the list holes and not having the depth to cover banged up players in this finals series. However, what was most alarming was the midfield destruction in the first half. Given it also happened only 2 years ago in their last home final, thats not a great look on his watch.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby MW » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:36 pm

Funny narrative this year with Port...
Win? It's Josh Carr from the box. Make him our coach.
Lose? It's Ken f..king up, sign Josh Carr and make him our coach.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Trader » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:37 pm

Dutchy wrote:Cant agree with that, Kochie actually put the club into more debt when he took over to beef up the footy spend, he was very open about getting the footy department right as their core business, even if that meant carrying the debt - this has been the case. They got the club very competitive again and are now chewing into their debt, it was a high risk strategy however it looks like it will end up working, not sure if they have to raise more debt for the reno's at Alberton or if that is all gov't funded.

Richo seems to have done a great job after the handball pass he rec'd.

Yeah in 2012 or whenever, he certainly put footy first, but I recon from about 2016 onwards there have been more financial decisions made.

I guess its a balancing act and needs a bit of both.
But I agree with RB's observation that in the last 5 or so seasons, there has been a big push for early wins, rather than setting the list for a finals push.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Trader » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:37 pm

MW wrote:Funny narrative this year with Port...

Glad you are on board.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:43 pm

Other than:
1. Port definitely changed their style of game mid season
2. They re-signed Hinkley because of the wins

I like Hinkley but that was stupid.
I doubt Gold Coast were ever after him
The Hardwick thing was set up much earlier in the year
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby JK » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:54 pm

Yeah the FB supporters group is massive on this
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby David Brent » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:56 pm

Port people, would you seriously look at trading Xavier Duursma this year while he holds a small amount of currency? I know he's had some injuries but more & more is not looking like the prospect he once was going to be.

If it helped get in a key back I think I'd pull the trigger & back another young lad in to play the wing role.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL