Daily Golf - Where you are playing and how you go

Re: Daily Golf - Where you are playing and how you go

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:01 am

Lady Bay

A warmish day but the cool breeze helped which did pick up as the day went on
Practice green was a good speed but the greens on the course didn't reflect that, they were a little slower.
Driver, I'd adjusted for the push fade, and then yesterday, same set up and the draw came back :roll:
All bar 1 par 3 was into the breeze, 2 of them I took driver :lol:
Ended up on 31pts which was a lot better than it could have been.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:27 pm

Have they cored the greens yet MT? They usually do in Sept, got next week off so thinking of heading down
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby carey » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:39 pm

This is the perfect time of the year for coring.

We completed ours last Sunday night.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:50 pm

Dutchy wrote:Have they cored the greens yet MT? They usually do in Sept, got next week off so thinking of heading down
No. October I believe

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:10 pm

Starting to make some plans to get a few hits in.

One thing I noticed, is my local 18 hole public track are doing $16 as many holes as you can play mid week after 3.00pm. May take advantage of that.

Friday 29th Sept is a public holiday - playing with a few mates at the local track. 9.30am hit off, in the pub by 2.00pm. Nice.

Got another mate I need to catch up with, he is in Europe right now, so look him up when he gets back for a hit in October.

Having the entire week of Melb Cup off. Wednesday after the cup, playing Club Mandalay. It's about 35 minutes from my place. They have a deal $40 per players, which includes a cart & a post round beer. Can't loose.

Then heading to SA in early November to take in one of my lads games of cricket (at a new club) so we will have a game on the Sunday before I fly back.

Best be getting that new Driver in the bag....
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:07 pm

Glenelg today

The one thing that stood out were how ominous the bunkers looked.
Course is in ok condition after Carey left divots everywhere
Few blind tee shots were disconcerting
Fairways had plenty of run
Greens were on slow side which caught us out

1 wipe on 6th where I had 2 shots and didn't realise, picked up with a chance to get up and down ... idiot

33pts overall.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:13 pm

Surprisingly last 2 days the driver with slight draw has returned.
Hopefully normal programming can resume permanently

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby someguy1 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:44 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Surprisingly last 2 days the driver with slight draw has returned.

Pretty handy to have around Glenelg. Surprised the Greens were slow after the Vardon the day before.
someguy1
Under 16s

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:47 pm

someguy1 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Surprisingly last 2 days the driver with slight draw has returned.

Pretty handy to have around Glenelg. Surprised the Greens were slow after the Vardon the day before.

They weren't as quick as I'd expected and others made that same observation.
Didn't stop me from blasting one up past the flag from bottom tier on the 8th though :roll:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:44 pm

Corona Man wrote:Starting to make some plans to get a few hits in.

One thing I noticed, is my local 18 hole public track are doing $16 as many holes as you can play mid week after 3.00pm. May take advantage of that.

Friday 29th Sept is a public holiday - playing with a few mates at the local track. 9.30am hit off, in the pub by 2.00pm. Nice.

Got another mate I need to catch up with, he is in Europe right now, so look him up when he gets back for a hit in October.

Having the entire week of Melb Cup off. Wednesday after the cup, playing Club Mandalay. It's about 35 minutes from my place. They have a deal $40 per players, which includes a cart & a post round beer. Can't loose.

Then heading to SA in early November to take in one of my lads games of cricket (at a new club) so we will have a game on the Sunday before I fly back.

Correction to the above - My local public course are doing $15 as many holes as you like after 2pm........ "Working" from home" this arvo, and was logged on by 7.20am..... sunny out today, I think I will be on the first tee by 3.00pm. So long as I am answering e-mails (on my phone), technically I am at work!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:49 pm

Corona Man wrote:

Correction to the above - My local public course are doing $15 as many holes as you like after 2pm........ "Working" from home" this arvo, and was logged on by 7.20am..... sunny out today, I think I will be on the first tee by 3.00pm. So long as I am answering e-mails (on my phone), technically I am at work!

Good value.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:03 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Good value.

It's no Royal Melbourne or Huntingdale though!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:11 pm

Corona Man wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Good value.

It's no Royal Melbourne or Huntingdale though!
But it's golf!

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby carey » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:35 pm

Played well this morning in a midweek stroke round.

Greens still very slow from the coring and i mean very slow. stroke round 38 on the front and 37 on the back. I was really happy with that considering the putting surface, it cost me at times as my short game was really affected, as i just wasn't getting the purchase/rip you normally get with your 52's 56's but as i said still very happy with 75 off the bat.

Looking forward to our twilight comp starting 4th Oct
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Corona Man » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:41 am

Corona Man wrote:

Well that was an interesting few hours to say the least.

Arrived to the course about 2.20pm. It was soon pretty clear a few others had picked up on the $15 deal, like bloody Flinders St Station, people everywhere.

Called into the pro shop paid my fees and the lad behind the counter said "about 20 minutes and you can get on the tee". No worries a few chips & putts to pass the time.

More and more people rolling in. So after 15 minutes I wander down to the 1st tee. Group of 4 had just hit off. Group of 3 standing on the tee. Just me however loitering to the side of the tee. The 3 hit off. While I was waiting a big lad turned up, and just by his body language, I could see he was intending to hit off next. Another group of players had started wandering down the path to the first tee. So I asked the big lad if he minded me joining him.... "No problems brother was his reply"...

As we waited to hit off I was looking at his set of clubs - Taylor Made Sim 2 Driver (Exactly like I am wanting); Sim 3 wood. Srixon ZS5 irons. And a very interesting set of head covers. Indigeneous designs. He explained to me a friend of his makes them, I then realised he was a first nations lad.

He invites me to hit off first, I duck hook into the trees. I didn't really see his tee shot, but it sounded good. Eventually get to his ball, he has a 60 meters pitch into the first. Has hit his drive 300'ish, makes par. We play a few more holes, I am all over the joint he is making pars, the odd bogey. We get to about the 5th hole & I ask what he plays off. +1 is the reply. Yep ok, this is a serious dude I am paired with. I hit a reasonable drive on the 5th, he says to me nice swing, but do you mind if I give you a tip..... just a slight move of your grip. He called it "giving blood", then says Sergio gave him the tip when he was playing some events in the USA!

We chatted some more, even touched on the referendum, as I was interested in his views..... so I try the change of grip on the 6th, it helps. On the 9th he invites me to hit his driver. He has it dialed into about 8 degrees, and it has an extra stiff shaft. I hit it well, and very low, due to the shaft and lower kick point.

We ended up playing about 12 holes before packing it in. As we are walking off the course I asked him why he was playing here at Bundoora, a bog average public track. Turns out he works in aboriginal affairs (Legal aid for youth) and had meetings on this side of town, so just ducked in for a hit. He is a member of the Southern Golf Club in Oakleigh...... other side of Melbourne. Only problem is, I can't recall his name!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:35 am

All we're really interested in is the grip tip :lol:

Sounds like it was a great walk.

And at +1 would have been some good golf to watch
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:All we're really interested in is the grip tip :lol:

I will try my best to explain..... Essentially it was rolling my bottom hand (right hand) back to the right, effectively opening up my hands just slightly. It did make it feel a little easier to release the club through the ball. What the big lad said was it would increase my lag & increase my speed through the ball. Hope that makes sense?!?

He was rusty to be fair, and hit some average chips & putts for a +1.

But some of his ball striking was just pure.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:51 am

Corona Man wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:All we're really interested in is the grip tip :lol:

I will try my best to explain..... Essentially it was rolling my bottom hand (right hand) back to the right, effectively opening up my hands just slightly. It did make it feel a little easier to release the club through the ball. What the big lad said was it would increase my lag & increase my speed through the ball. Hope that makes sense?!?

He was rusty to be fair, and hit some average chips & putts for a +1.

But some of his ball striking was just pure.

Yep makes sense.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:31 pm

Son #1 just signed up at Thaxted on a 7 day 12 month membership for $265, son #2 did the same for $65!!!

Age discrimination! :lol: can I identify as a 16yo?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby JD1981 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:27 am

Dutchy wrote:Son #1 just signed up at Thaxted on a 7 day 12 month membership for $265, son #2 did the same for $65!!!

Age discrimination! :lol: can I identify as a 16yo?

Yep, we've got a big focus on juniors at the club, which has paid dividends... over half of our Simpson Cup team joined as very young juniors and got involved in the junior coaching program/clinics.

Hope your sons enjoy the membership!
JD1981
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Millicent

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Golf