The Voice Referendum - Oct 2023

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The Voice Referendum - Oct 2023

Postby RB » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:41 pm

Looking like it'll finish up about 57-43 or 58-42 to No. A slightly lower No vote than might have been expected in light of recent polls.

As expected, youth, wealth and higher education appears to be positively correlated with the Yes vote in urban/suburban areas across the country, i.e. reflecting the Republic referendum in '99.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby stan » Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:45 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:When are we going to grow up and have electronic voting or at the least an electronic register that is faster than the dinosaur paper pen ruler we are currently using????????????

I don't think it will happen in our lifetimes. There are too many security issues with it.
Have a look a all the nutters now that go after the AEC staff and crap on about them rigging elections.

Christ, it will never happen.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby RustyCage » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:15 am

So if not the Voice, then what? Or are we going to keep doing the same thing that hasn’t worked for the last 200 years?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby tigerpie » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:26 pm

RustyCage wrote:So if not the Voice, then what? Or are we going to keep doing the same thing that hasn’t worked for the last 200 years?

Make the whole system more accountable and deeper forensic audits on where the billions are going.
Whoever is in charge of that be it a first peoples minister is where the buck stops.
Like any business, if it's failing then a change of leadership is required.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:00 am

Imagine being an outsider from this country and seeing the result... We must look awful right now...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:57 am

This is completely on Albo, it should have succeeded, but the complete lack of leadership on a number of fronts caused this outcome. Mistakes everywhere.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:01 am

Dutchy wrote:This is completely on Albo, it should have succeeded, but the complete lack of leadership on a number of fronts caused this outcome. Mistakes everywhere.

not arguing that. but this looks really bad.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:04 am

Dutchy wrote:This is completely on Albo, it should have succeeded, but the complete lack of leadership on a number of fronts caused this outcome. Mistakes everywhere.

Absolutely.

One phone call to Dutton asking for bipartisan support would have saved a hell of a lot of pain for people and as a collective money ( a long secondary issue in this instance ).

Speaking to an elder this morning he was sad on many fronts, mostly for his elderly parents who were resigned to the fact they'll pass away before we as a nation acknowledge them in our constitution. They were hard words to hear, I cannot imagine what they are like to feel. To live.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:08 am

the no side got what they wanted. What better option do they suggest???
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Ronnie » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:15 am

woodublieve12 wrote:

It does look really bad, if you put up a referendum proposal and can't even get to 40% community support, then you would have to question why it was held in the first place. Clearly Albanese didn't think it mattered to try and build support, or to put some detail behind the proposal.
It's difficult to get referendums passed at the best of times, but this was diabolical on a number of fronts.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby RB » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:20 am

Booney wrote:

Absolutely.

One phone call to Dutton asking for bipartisan support would have saved a hell of a lot of pain for people and as a collective money ( a long secondary issue in this instance ).

By all reports, Albo and Labor sought Dutton's support on numerous occasions, as did the Indigenous Affairs minister under Morrison, Ken Wyatt.

There was no way Dutton was ever going to support this.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:22 am

Ronnie wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

It does look really bad, if you put up a referendum proposal and can't even get to 40% community support, then you would have to question why it was held in the first place. Clearly Albanese didn't think it mattered to try and build support, or to put some detail behind the proposal.
It's difficult to get referendums passed at the best of times, but this was diabolical on a number of fronts.

Get a decent leader like you said and this passes.
It was held because it needs to be done.

Dutton went the Trump route to garner no votes. Hateful and incorrect information and the majority of simple minded folk followed along...

Would like to state, that not all no voters are simple minded. But Dutton certainly appealed to that group
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:29 am

This explains a lot of what happened (& the mistakes made)

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/the-inside-story-of-the-voice-campaign-20231011-p5ebjo

Let me know if paywalled
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Kahuna » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:30 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Dutton went the Trump route to garner no votes. Hateful and incorrect information and the majority of simple minded folk followed along...

You mean like a basket of deplorables?
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Ronnie » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:30 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Ronnie wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Would like to state, that not all no voters are simple minded. But Dutton certainly appealed to that group

A tiny minority go in for hate, you could say the same thing about the yes campaign. A few of their public proponents weren't exactly all sweetness and light, Thomas Mayo for one.
I think it's a juvenile approach to say that hate wins because your side of the debate lost. The vast, vast majority of Australians make a judgement call and they found this particular proposal wanting. That's all, doesn't need to descend into a smear campaign.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:32 am

It's amazing the influence platforms like "tik tok" can have and the misinformation that was spread around.

I was disappointed in the 'No' result, but not surprised, and at the end of the day people can vote as they see fit - I felt like the who campaign was poor from the start.. but what really disappointed me the most was chatting to friends on Saturday night, who got their information off Tik Tok and Instagram.. they genuinely felt they were doing the right thing by ATSI people and had their best interests at heart because of shit they'd watched on social media platforms.

The best/worst quote I heard Saturday night "After watching this video (on tik tok), I really felt so sad and sorry for the Aboriginal people - I had to vote no!"
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby whufc » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:48 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Ronnie wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Do we actually think that is the case.....

When i saw what a lot of my friends were posting I'm certain they would have been NO's no matter what way the voice was sold by politicians.

The one that got me from friends and you simply can't change their minds was the whole, one person/one voice, everyone gets a chance to run for parliament and a chance to vote. When i read that continuously all i could do was face palm. I dont think those people are changing because of how 'the voice' is 'sold'

Hate to admit it as well the country regions are miles behind when it comes to inclusiveness etc. I mean grey was 78% no 22 yes. Obviously not big numbers voting but i would guess thats indicitive across all of the country. Not sure the country voters are changing their mind anytime soon sadly.

Very sad state of affairs. People give the current younger generation a lot of stick but i tell you what at least one thing they right have is their passion to be inclusive. Sadly i think it will take my 14 yo & 12 yo daughters generation to get any serious changes.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:50 am

The Bedge wrote:It's amazing the influence platforms like "tik tok" can have and the misinformation that was spread around.

I would say disinformation.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:07 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
The Bedge wrote:It's amazing the influence platforms like "tik tok" can have and the misinformation that was spread around.

I would say disinformation.

Both - and from both sides

and its still going on afterwards
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Spargo » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:47 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:This explains a lot of what happened (& the mistakes made)

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/the-inside-story-of-the-voice-campaign-20231011-p5ebjo

Let me know if paywalled

Paywall
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics