The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby smac » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:22 pm

There won't be any compromise or consideration of the SANFL in whatever they do, that's the only guarantee.

Let them work out what they're doing and then we can get on with it.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Aerie » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:30 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Idea 3 - The crowserves and powerserves leave and the SANFL continues on as an 8 team competition.

Well, yes! I should've added that. Essentially the status quo and what is likely to happen. I think the SANFL clubs have more chance of standing on their own two feet without the AFL Reserves playing against them, but I wonder if they have the resources and will to financially compete with both the AFL with AFL Reserves and Country/Amateur leagues on a winter weekend. To me, the status quo will see the SANFL continue to have a high level of junior competition with interest in playing SANFL level senior football dependent on still being a chance to be recruited to the AFL and/or being compensated at a level above what could be earned playing a level below. If the pathway to AFL becomes AFL Reserves, then the SANFL senior competition sits very uncomfortably between the levels above and below IMO.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby whybother » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:57 pm

There hasn't been any statement from SANFL yet (has there?) Maybe they are waiting for Koche to tell them what to say
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:09 pm

In a statement, the SANFL said Port Adelaide still had a contract until 2028 and nothing had changed from the league’s perspective.

“The last discussion we had with the AFL mid year was that an AFL Reserves competition was not a priority,” it said.

“We review the licence conditions that apply to the AFL clubs playing in the SANFL on an annual basis to provide all clubs with an opportunity to be competitive.

“The SANFL competition is considered the best outside of the AFL, and as a League we will continue to balance what’s best for football in South Australia.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby MW » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:10 pm

Booney wrote:In a statement, the SANFL said Port Adelaide still had a contract until 2028 and nothing had changed from the league’s perspective.

“The last discussion we had with the AFL mid year was that an AFL Reserves competition was not a priority,” it said.

“We review the licence conditions that apply to the AFL clubs playing in the SANFL on an annual basis to provide all clubs with an opportunity to be competitive.

“The SANFL competition is considered the best outside of the AFL, and as a League we will continue to balance what’s best for football in South Australia.”

Contracts...lol
in other words, we have you until 2028 unless you want to make it financially better for us for you to leave and break the contract.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:14 pm

I am the SANFL I will tell the AFL what to do....

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby locky801 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:32 pm

They cant leave anyway because that would mean the end of this forum topic :D :D
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3710 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:47 pm

Booney wrote:I am the SANFL I will tell the AFL what to do....

Who's saying that mate?

In all seriousness the SANFL can just influence this process but end of the day the AFL control it. if they really see the value in a national reserves competition they'll do it.

I'm of the opinion that the AFL dont see this as a priority compared to getting the AFLW sorted (at least 17 games) I'm also of the opinion the Victorian based clubs dont really want the WA and SA clubs joining in their competition as it dilutes what ever advantage they have. NSW and Qld teams only in it because they know the NSW and QFL competitions are shite.

This issue actually disappoints me as like the voice it gives rise to bullshit statements from both sides that just cause division. "Port dont offer anything for the SANFL, SANFL wouldn't exist with out Port. Both crap statements
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:50 pm

I'm pointing out contracts mean nothing, particularly when it's potentially the SANFL holding a piece of the AFL to it, it simply wouldn't happen.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:57 pm

Booney wrote:I'm pointing out contracts mean nothing, particularly when it's potentially the SANFL holding a piece of the AFL to it, it simply wouldn't happen.

True that, as I said if the AFL want to bankroll this they will, nothing anyone can do about it.

Port and West Coast can jump up and down about it SANFL can try and argue against it but if Dad says no, it aint happening.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Dogs64 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:50 pm

Richardson from Port just on 5aa. Couldn't actually say advantages Port would get by moving to the AFL reserves. Unfortunately sounds like Koch smoke screen to divert from own failings. Doesn't sound like we'd be rid of them any time soon.
Funny, how previous to the AFL reserves the AFL did a report in to the success of the "interstate" teams. The report found the distribution of the Crows and Port players to the sanfl teams was an advantage. Then they chose to lose this advantage and have their own teams. The Victorian based teams must have had a laugh. Now they want to join the afl reserves comp. But can't explain how it will benefit them.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 180 times

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:56 pm

It's part of the conditions, so it is what it is, however when Port or Adelaide draft a key position player ( Port have Scully and Marshall currently ) they are straight into the SANFL if they like it or not. Now someone like McBean at Glenelg standing Marshall or Pink holding Scully isn't exactly the best development for the two 19 year olds.

This isn't a whinge, it's a reality. Yes salary caps, yes full time professional, yes, yes, yes.

Some aspects aren't ideal for Port and Adelaide. Obviously it isn't for the stand alone clubs, either.

Both AFL sides and the SANFL don't know if it'll be better or worse without each other, either way the current set up isn't working for each other anyway.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:15 pm

What chance Port Magpies(pre 2013) reappearing in the sanfl with reserves and juniors again and the current side(Power squad members with top ups) playing in the AFL reserves comp?

I for one would love to see it!!

Not happening but worth a thought.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:32 pm

Maintain Adelaide should have been given half of Ports zone, find a home, create ressies and an U18s, SANFL make senior SANFL restrictions tighter, have more "genuine" clubs involved.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:41 pm

amber_fluid wrote:What chance Port Magpies(pre 2013) reappearing in the sanfl with reserves and juniors again and the current side(Power squad members with top ups) playing in the AFL reserves comp?

Problem with this ports old recruiting zones are with other clubs . Where I lived in port heartland of Taperoo is now Eagles zone . The other clubs have secured areas that were ports zone
Iirc eagles got ports zone and lost old west Torrens areas where I grew up was Torrens now west
So in theory it sounds ok but in reality port are in the afl
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:44 pm

MJP1993 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:What chance Port Magpies(pre 2013) reappearing in the sanfl with reserves and juniors again and the current side(Power squad members with top ups) playing in the AFL reserves comp?

Problem with this ports old recruiting zones are with other clubs . Where I lived in port heartland of Taperoo is now Eagles zone . The other clubs have secured areas that were ports zone
Iirc eagles got ports zone and lost old west Torrens areas where I grew up was Torrens now west

Yeah I understand it’d require a lot of work re: recruiting zones but it’s not impossible.
We want the best outcome here and not the easiest!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:06 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:

Yeah I understand it’d require a lot of work re: recruiting zones but it’s not impossible.

I guess you do and port fans who don’t attend many games away from Alberton oval gosh Woodville oval is to far for the faithful to travel to
I think it’s time to move on accept that Port sold itself to the AFL and everyone moves on
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby Vamos » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:09 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:

Would love to see it too, sucks seeing Districts lads playing at the Eagles. Ain't happening though, simply couldn't afford it, plus the other clubs would demand a move to Ethelton oval again.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:27 pm

Vamos wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:

Would love to see it too, sucks seeing Districts lads playing at the Eagles. Ain't happening though, simply couldn't afford it, plus the other clubs would demand a move to Ethelton oval again.

That’s where port were couldn’t remember
Vamos if they play league and are good or great Port could draft them
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:32 pm

MJP1993 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:

I guess you do and port fans who don’t attend many games away from Alberton oval gosh Woodville oval is to far for the faithful to travel to
I think it’s time to move on accept that Port sold itself to the AFL and everyone moves on

I don’t attend any games as I’m not a Power supporter so I’m not going to follow their reserves.
But if the Magpies were to be reinstated I’d certainly attend games where I could.
amber_fluid
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL