Daily Golf - Where you are playing and how you go

Re: Daily Golf - Where you are playing and how you go

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:59 pm

Flaggy for a lunch time start.

Driver was ok today
Short game was ordinary.
Putting was just ok, greens still recovering from coring.
Came in for a nett 74
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Spargo » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:44 pm

Willunga this morning, bit breezy the front 9, perfect conditions though coming in. Course in good nick as you would expect, greens tricky & quick.
Played the tough holes well & then made a mess of the easy ones.
27 points with 6 wipes - 6 f#cking wipes!
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:53 pm

Flaggy this morning

What a difference 14hrs makes.

Absolute horrible. Just didn't feel at all comfortable.
The 5wood had a rest for the baffler and hybrid. Both of those hit themselves out of the bag into the shed.
3 pars and a little chip in birdie on 11 and a few nice drives.
Few other holes I just picked up out frustration over duffing a shot... :oops:

Think it came in at 23points. :lol:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:59 pm

I love the way you bench your clubs MT :lol: how many have you got that go thru the rotation?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Corona Man » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:I love the way you bench your clubs MT :lol: how many have you got that go thru the rotation?

20+ is my guess!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:02 pm

Dutchy wrote:I love the way you bench your clubs MT :lol: how many have you got that go thru the rotation?

Not many too be honest. On the regular rotation roster. I do have a couple sets to choose from that are still being punished long term.
My main issue is I have too many clubs mainly irons that all bunch up around the same distances, so no use taking them.

I generally carry

Driver
5w
7i
8i
Gap wedge
Putter

The rotation system is mainly with the baffler and hybrid.

I do get a few comments about the lack of clubs in my bag.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:05 pm

The 5w wasn't benched, just had a rest. An $8 club that I hit better than the $180 baffler or whatever it was :lol:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:25 am

Ashton Hills (Mt Barker Golf Club) Review

Firstly some notes on the course. As a past member and not having played there for 2 or 3 years, the course is in fabulous condition. If you have not played it, do yourself a favour, go up the hill for a hit. Course improvements - both the 8th & 10th greens renovated. Both have been lifted several meters, both with false fronts. Makes these 2 holes stronger in my view. Bunkers looked well maintained (not that I went in them) which was always challenging during my time as a member. Just didn't have the ground staff numbers to maintain them to a good standard. Greens were a nice pace, not slow, but not too fast, and I could see they had been recently cored (guess 3/5 weeks ago) but played very true.

So to the game. Played with son & 2 of his mates. Individual Stableford and a side teams game ( this played as a multiplier stableford) so both individual stableford points multiplier together for a total. So if you & your partner both have 2 points on the hole, the combined total is 4. However, if your partner birdies for say 4 points & you wipe the hole, the teams gets nothing. Interesting way to play the side bet.

Having declared I had the Stealth wired in, I dead set, stone cold (Steve Austin) dome it off the first tee. Ball tumbled into the small creek about 80 meters in front of the 1st tee...... never to be seen again. I am teamed with my son. He pars the 1st hole, which is the number 1 rated hole on the course for 3 stableford points. I take a wipe. No points for us. Good one Dad!

Second hole. Par 3. I hit the green but spin back off, as does one of the other lads. Son hits it to 10-12 feet. Other lad is over the back. I chip up, past the hole. Left myself a tough 15 foot down hill, left to right breaking putt. Made it which was nice. Son birdies so as a team we get 12 points. Excellent.

The next few holes are standard affairs. Son birdies the back to back Par 5's I par them both, and we are miles ahead of the other lads.

Seventh hole - I loose drive right, chip out sideways, and leave myself 100 into the green. Wedge to the back of the green, another long downhill putt. Fortunately my read (and I know these greens pretty well) is its dead straight. I roll in a 35-40 foot putt for Par. The other lads are spewing!

Eight & Nine played without much fanfare, although Son finds the water right off the tee with drive, and scrubs the hole, still has 21 pts the front. I had 15 pts for the front.

11.00 am see's us on the 10th tee, I pull out a cold tin from the esky. Cheers lads. I should have pared the 10th, but made bogey, as did son. Then things changed a bit. Son started played rubbish, I was hanging in making the odd par and mainly bogey's. The other lads started coming good. One of them had 2 shots on about 4 of the last 6 holes....things tightening up.

Stealth was starting to behave itself by 13. I hit 3 wood on 14 as the hole narrows where driver goes (for me). To the par 3 - 15th. I overclub with 4 iron over the green. The 2 lads on the other team both short right. Son pin high right. I have a difficult down hill chip, land it just short of the green, and it trickles on. Left myself another curler for par. 10-12 foot left to right across, with some down hill about it. Roll it in. Best I have putted in a few yers. Felt very confident, as I know these greens so well. Son makes par too. 9 points in the bank.

16 & 17 played without much ado. Get to the 18th. One of the lads on the other side has struggled most of the day off the tee. Well he hits a screaming drive, cut the corner and has 60 meters in. Great drive. I am left off the fairawys & in the sandy shit under the trees, but I have a clear shot to the green. I decide its just a long bunker shot..... 56 degree wedge. I blade it, into the roof of the clubhouse behind the 18th green, much to the mirth of all concerned, including those having a beer on the verandah.

Scores toted up. Son had 32, I had 30, The other lads - one had 32 the other had 27. We won the teams convincingly in the end, as we combined better in the multiplier.

Lunch had at the Barker, before I head down the hill to the airport & a flight home.

Land in Melbourne, and as I am struggling onto the bus to the long term car park, with my clubs..... the bus driver says "where have you been playing mate?". Ashton Hills Mt Barker I reply. "Really, I am from Adelaide, played there a few times. Was it the first time you played the course" the bus driver asks. "I was a member there for 25 years, so no" was my reply. "Oh then you would know my brother, Justin Percy". "Umm yep I know Justin" I replied.

Then 2 passengers behind me is another bloke struggling onto the bus, with clubs in a beaten up old Taylor Made carry bag. The bus driver says "Where have you been playing mate?" to the scruffy looking, hippie type bloke with the bag. "Queensland" was his reply. "Oh whereabouts" said the bus driver........ "The Queensland PGA event" came the reply. "How did you go" asked the bus driver....."Yeah ok today, shot 3 under, and finished 32nd overall". Note - I am about to look up who this bloke is!!

All of this while 30 or 40 other bus passengers, who probably just wanted to get to the long term car park, and get home, where waiting for all this golf chat to subside.

Small World.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:42 pm

Guy in our group yesterday new member at Flaggy who has just returned to golf after some back issues was also a member at Aston hills in recent years
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:05 pm

I used to have 3 uncles that are members of Ashton Hills, 2 still there and the other passed away earlier this year (former President), good to hear its in good nick, need to get up there again before winter hits!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:58 pm

I've always enjoyed Aston Hills.
On Sunday we spoke about the 10th the short par 4 where people just smash driver into the fence on the corner :lol:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:15 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I've always enjoyed Aston Hills.
On Sunday we spoke about the 10th the short par 4 where people just smash driver into the fence on the corner :lol:

I took Driver there for years.

Now days it’s 4 or 5 iron to the corner short of the creek, and wedge or gap wedge in.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:37 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:Playing The Pat Friday, Barossa Sunday and 3 courses at Siam Country Club in the following 2 weeks. Especially looking forward to that.
Well after spending the past 5 days sinking Changs we hit the waterside at Siam. I sweated out those 5 days worth and had a shocker, felt like I had never picked up a club before. Great course, felt sorry for my caddy, she had to put up with shit golf.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:42 pm

Corona Man wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I've always enjoyed Aston Hills.

I took Driver there for years.

Now days it’s 4 or 5 iron to the corner short of the creek, and wedge or gap wedge in.

That's when you cut the corner over the trees
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:44 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:Playing The Pat Friday, Barossa Sunday and 3 courses at Siam Country Club in the following 2 weeks. Especially looking forward to that.
Well after spending the past 5 days sinking Changs we hit the waterside at Siam. I sweated out those 5 days worth and had a shocker, felt like I had never picked up a club before. Great course, felt sorry for my caddy, she had to put up with shit golf.

How about Pat and Barossa?
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:53 pm

Saturday effort has me 5 shots back equal 2nd after rd 1 captains trophy :lol:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:45 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:

How about Pat and Barossa?
38 points both days
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:19 pm

Twilight Flaggy
1st drive was good, 2nd not so. 6
2nd - drive was good, a little toey but worked. 2nd shot from just inside 150m pulled the 4 iron out and aimed at the bunker on the right. Sure enough a low worm burner with enough pace to get through the hard bunker short of green. 5
Par 3 - 3rd. Again 4i aimed at the bunker one the right. This started turned a little and then caught the left edge and flung right and then rolled onto green :lol: made par
4th, another toey drive. 3rd shot from 130m just gripped low on a soft 7i and hit it sweetly and it ran through the back. Bogey
5th, great drive. Sh1t 2nd, luckily just short of bunker. 5
6th tugged drive right back onto 5th. 4i comes out, have a decent window to get back onto fairway and even draw around the corner.
Then I pushed it into base of tree on the right. End up narrowly missing putt for Point
7th, pushed the 8i into pin high bunker. One shot, stayed in so picked up.
8th - another pull hook drive but got away with it with the sloping fairway. Hut a lovely 5w to just short of green. Not sure I've ever been there in 2. Chip up with GW and left it short. 2 putt par.
9th - horrid 7i off tee into bunker. Picked it clean out of bunker to mound back of green. Nice chip to 30cm and then missed :lol:

14pts disappointing... but that's my shit level
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:59 pm

Flaggy this morning

Driver solid
Short game around greens solid
Found 3 bunkers (1 fairway) and the greenside ones didn't get out after 1 so pick up and move on
Putting - made a good par putt on 6th. But outside of that a horror show. And a good little putt on last to halve the cash game
2 wipes and 32pts
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:42 am

Flaggy this morning

A tale of 2 nines.

First drive was good. 2nd shot stuck in between trees. Take a drop and wipe hole. And it was pretty average going. 50 off front for 12pts

10th. Hit it hard and had a fade around the corner. Narrowly miss birdie putt. But solid start.
11th the 5 wood poorly hit ended up on path. play it as it lies. Chipped on from 55 and then sunk 20ft birdie.
From there it was pretty solid going.
24pts on back 9 which was 39 off stick[emoji1787]Image

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Golf