SANFL 2024

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2024

Postby Bag & Sledge » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:10 am

ferret wrote:
The Hound wrote:
Bag & Sledge wrote:Last night’s AFL Draft goes to show how far the SANFL Under 16’s and Under 18’s competitions are falling behind.
Our SANFL teams would get embarrassed if we had to play against any Coates Talent League clubs (Under 18’s National League with Murray Bushrangers etc).

With a 50% reduction in players drafted this year compared to last year, the SANFL may want to take stock and take control of the junior competition and try and get the best kids playing against the best kids.
No disrespect to the college kids but the standard is getting weaker and weaker year on year, so it might be time to not let the private colleges control what happens in the SANFL junior pathway.

https://websites.mygameday.app/comp_inf ... 6-0&pool=1
https://websites.mygameday.app/comp_inf ... 1-0&pool=1

What a great post. There should be more Henley High Schools let the kids develop at their SANFL clubs. Give elitism the boot.

One of the problems is that SA's population compared to the national population is getting smaller and smaller.
Even Tassie did better this year than SA in the national draft (talent wise) most probably just a one off.

I remember when SA had a greater population than WA. WA (2,855,600) has now raced past SA (1,844,600) and should be producing far more draftees than SA.

SA's population has fallen to 6.97% of national population.

2024's draft for SA should be a lot better than 2023.

Is the fall in SA's population the reason for the SANFL crowd attendances to also be on the slide?
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:34 am

Bag & Sledge wrote:Is the fall in SA's population the reason for the SANFL crowd attendances to also be on the slide?

SA's population rises every year so no. (He was saying our % nationally has dropped)
Maybe the change in demographics might be one of many reasons though.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Bag & Sledge » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:45 am

Wedgie wrote:
Bag & Sledge wrote:Is the fall in SA's population the reason for the SANFL crowd attendances to also be on the slide?

SA's population rises every year so no. (He was saying our % nationally has dropped)
Maybe the change in demographics might be one of many reasons though.

I do realize what he posted, we have fallen behind in population percentage, so I asked the question?

What are the SANFL doing about the falling crowd attendances?
Queens Birthday game was marketed very well and in return the crowd came!
Yet for the rest of the year, more and more we see crowd attendance figures reach below that 1,000 mark, very very concerning, but what are the SANFL doing about it?
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Postby Wedgie » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:02 am

Getting rid of the AFL reserves teams will be a good start.
Another problem is traditional SANFL fans are getting old and dying, not sure what we can do about that. Cheaper anti-aging drugs? :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Bag & Sledge » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:47 am

Wedgie wrote:Getting rid of the AFL reserves teams will be a good start.
Another problem is traditional SANFL fans are getting old and dying, not sure what we can do about that. Cheaper anti-aging drugs? :lol:

Whilst I'm not a fan of the AFL Reserves teams in the comp, I don't think getting rid of the Reserves teams will help crowd numbers increase.
But increasing the Salary Cap will help keep some talent in the competition as the players won't be as tempted at 25+ years of age to go to country and amateur clubs for large $$$ packages. Keeping talent in the comp will help keep crowd numbers up because who wants to watch an average brand of footy?
The competition won't survive if the mass exodus of talented players continue.
I'm also not sure why SANFL clubs continue to announce 18-year-old unknown players from interstate unless they are the next Harley Reid, this surely can't continue, it's embarrassing.
The SANFL could also spend some money in marketing the competition, and putting on some new positions in marketing.

A few suggestions, would like to hear other views?
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Postby whufc » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:58 am

Bag & Sledge wrote:

Whilst I'm not a fan of the AFL Reserves teams in the comp, I don't think getting rid of the Reserves teams will help crowd numbers increase.
But increasing the Salary Cap will help keep some talent in the competition as the players won't be as tempted at 25+ years of age to go to country and amateur clubs for large $$$ packages. Keeping talent in the comp will help keep crowd numbers up because who wants to watch an average brand of footy?
I'm also not sure why SANFL clubs continue to announce 18-year-old unknown players from interstate unless they are the next Harley Reid, this surely can't continue, it's embarrassing.
The SANFL could also spend some money in marketing the competition, and putting on some new positions in marketing.

Not sure people go to the SANFL because of the standard of football. Every season there is going to be a couple of crap teams who play average standard of football and there will be a few good teams that will have crowds interested because of their success. Unless all the coaches get together and all commit to playing a full-on attacking brand of football i can't see the standard determine crowds a whole lot. As an over 35er you either support an SANFL club or you don't and as a kid/teenager your not choosing to go to a game based on the standard its because of the marketing etc.

SANFL is in a very tough spot in the market place. Kind of in no mans land. Don't have the marketing power and presence the AFL have and never will have. Also trying to maintain the semi professional standard clubs are running on a streamline budget and having to put prices to a level that are well above the pub test of value.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Bag & Sledge » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:04 am

whufc wrote:
Bag & Sledge wrote:

Not sure people go to the SANFL because of the standard of football. Every season there is going to be a couple of crap teams who play average standard of football and there will be a few good teams that will have crowds interested because of their success. Unless all the coaches get together and all commit to playing a full-on attacking brand of football i can't see the standard determine crowds a whole lot. As an over 35er you either support an SANFL club or you don't and as a kid/teenager your not choosing to go to a game based on the standard its because of the marketing etc.

SANFL is in a very tough spot in the market place. Kind of in no mans land. Don't have the marketing power and presence the AFL have and never will have. Also trying to maintain the semi professional standard clubs are running on a streamline budget and having to put prices to a level that are well above the pub test of value.

The standard has everything to do with the crowd attendance.
People don't want to watch an average brand of footy, the better the standard and the easier it is to sell.
I'm sure if the SANFL was marketed like the AFLW (Front page of Advertiser Sport/Sunday Mail, Constant Social Media posts, News, Fox Footy, TV) the comp would be way more popular, the SANFL definitely need to invest more money in this space.
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Postby whufc » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:26 am

The AFLW is classic example that people don't go to watch the standard otherwise Div1 ammo football would get bigger crowds than the AFLW.

Look overseas to the english football / college gridiron football greater standard does not always reflect attendances if you have another selling point or historical relevance. Look at cricket often BBL games can get bigger attendances than an Aussie t20.

Marketing, marketing, marketing, affordability is the only way to attract new generations of supporters. The standard is never going to be that of the AFL so they cant try and attract fans based on the standard.

Standard will only be a deciding factor for the casual, the SANFL wont survive of casuals. The SANFL needs to somehow attract the next bunch of die hards which looks pretty hard at the moment unless your family is ingrained into SANFL football.

First step is they need to go super hard at getting into the schools as much as possible. My 12 year old daughter goes to a northern suburbs school and she has seen Port Power players attend more than the one time in 7 years of school she has seen Centrals. Naturally she takes more an interest in the Power and the players that she has met and seen. If it wasn't for me she would have a clue who Centrals are and lets be real why would she..... how would she know unless a parent takes her.

She has parent monitered social media, she watches netflix, disney etc so would never see a channel 7 game or the news with highlights is on, none of us buy the advertiser so she isnt seeing the articles there. There aren't posters around Elizabeth with Centrals on them really. She asks which team it is whenever we drive past the ground but thats about it. They simply don't exist in her world.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby wenchbarwer » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:24 pm

whufc wrote:First step is they need to go super hard at getting into the schools as much as possible. My 12 year old daughter goes to a northern suburbs school and she has seen Port Power players attend more than the one time in 7 years of school she has seen Centrals. Naturally she takes more an interest in the Power and the players that she has met and seen. If it wasn't for me she would have a clue who Centrals are and lets be real why would she..... how would she know unless a parent takes her.

Wow, a lot has changed in the last 15 years! I used to run an Auskick centre, and we'd have anywhere from 3 to 6 Glenelg players a couple times a year at the clinics. They also were big in the primary schools at that time as well, handing out posters and stickers and footballs.

You'd get one, sometimes two mini league games per year, when you'd get more goodies and the occasional free tickets as well. I had so many poxy Glenelg footies around my house, it was sickening!

At the same time, in the 3 years I ran Auskick, plus the 4 I was involved in coaching at the school, I had one Crows player attend. No Port because I assume we were zoned to Adelaide.
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby UK Fan » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:32 pm

Happy to go out on a limb and say that from 2019-2023 we have had more players drafted than the 5 years prior

We just had out first number one draft pick for how many years in JHF and 6 top 5 draft picks.
2 Thiltorpe Lukosious
3 Rankin
5 Rozee, Stephens

2014 - 17 drafted
2015 - 16
2016 - 16
2017 - 15
2018 - 19 83

2019 - 18
2020- 25
2021- 20
2022- 22
2023- 11* 96 still two drafts to go

AFLW draft not included
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby UK Fan » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:20 am

Bag & Sledge wrote:

AFl reserves leaving will be great. We wont have Koch on his annual rant about how shit the comp is. Cant wait for them to go to the vfl. They wont even make finals in that comp.

Why have club(s) in the comp who refuse to promote the comp. The sooner they leave the better IMHO!!!!!

The crows would bring what 200 people to a game and then do little to no promotion. Hate to say we saw all this happening a decade ago but................

THen its about marketing. As WHUFC pointed out standard isnt the concern ie AFLW.

Increase the cap $100K
Bring in marquee players (funded by SANFL)
Double headers at Adelaide Oval (after a Thursday night AFL game at Adelaie Oval)
When Port and crows go to vfl dont allow vfl games within SA, as it will take money away from local clubs.
Drop entry prices
Newly formed Player retention schemes
SANFL trade periods/drafts
Free/cheap entry for Uni students
Engage AFLPA to assist with setting up programs($$$) to help transition players who leave the afl system early on in their careers
Leave channel 7 seek alternate media providers (kayo/10) who will invest and market the comp (without having to worry about if it upsets afl)
GEt control back of the auskick programs
Integrate SANFLW into the comp possibly the replace the reserves.
Get some proper coverage on adelaidenow (Every Wednesday a full page SANFL wrap kind of thing)

If there is a positive of the afl reserves whilst not ideal the fact that player can transition from ammo/country footy into league football via the top up program. So do we really need a reserves comp ?? Is it a cost the clubs need and it frees up more salary cap.

We got 7000 to a game this year so all is not loss.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby wenchbarwer » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:38 am

UK Fan wrote:Integrate SANFLW into the comp possibly the replace the reserves.

You had me up until this point. This is what the VFL did and it killed their comp.
You lose the pathway from U18 to League with no reserves. How do you transition to playing against decent men's teams without it?
As far as costs go, most weren't getting paid during the COVID years either, so costs would be minimal. A lot of clubs encourage or insist senior players get sponsorship as well, so you lose that income straight away.

The rest of your points are valid, but removing the ressies in favour of the SANFL would be a fast track to failure.
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Postby Jim05 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:54 am

UK Fan wrote:
AFl reserves leaving will be great. We wont have Koch on his annual rant about how shit the comp is. Cant wait for them to go to the vfl. They wont even make finals in that comp.

Not sure about that part. Port have made finals plenty of times in the SANFL and it’s a better standard than the VFL.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby UK Fan » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:07 am

Jim05 wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

Not sure about that part. Port have made finals plenty of times in the SANFL and it’s a better standard than the VFL.

Well let me put it this way. I cant see the power reserves dominating the vfl and it will be interesting to see if Koch attack the vfl like he has the SANFL due to it.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:12 am

wenchbarwer wrote:
UK Fan wrote:Integrate SANFLW into the comp possibly the replace the reserves.

You had me up until this point. This is what the VFL did and it killed their comp.
You lose the pathway from U18 to League with no reserves. How do you transition to playing against decent men's teams without it?
As far as costs go, most weren't getting paid during the COVID years either, so costs would be minimal. A lot of clubs encourage or insist senior players get sponsorship as well, so you lose that income straight away.

The rest of your points are valid, but removing the ressies in favour of the SANFL would be a fast track to failure.

I dont disagree with what you're saying it was just an idea.

How do you transition to playing against decent men's teams without it?

I guess my theory was based on players making the step up from playing country/ammos to playing SANFL league now as top up players.

Any way the main point Im trying to convey is there is plenty the league could do when unencumbered with the afl teams.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby wenchbarwer » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:12 pm

UK Fan wrote:I dont disagree with what you're saying it was just an idea.

How do you transition to playing against decent men's teams without it?

I guess my theory was based on players making the step up from playing country/ammos to playing SANFL league now as top up players.

Any way the main point Im trying to convey is there is plenty the league could do when unencumbered with the afl teams.

Yeah, I get it, and I think 8 teams in all 4 grades would the best result.
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Postby Pseudo » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:00 pm

Possible state match against the Vics...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 50e27c0076

Quote from article:

The AFL is planning to keep the weekend of April 6-7 vacant at state league level to allow the VFL to face the SANFL in Adelaide, according to the report.

So the AFL controls the VFL fixturing now? Drop the pretence and call it AFL reserves.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Aerie » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:38 pm

Pseudo wrote:Possible state match against the Vics...

Quote from article:

The AFL is planning to keep the weekend of April 6-7 vacant at state league level to allow the VFL to face the SANFL in Adelaide, according to the report.

So the AFL controls the VFL fixturing now? Drop the pretence and call it AFL reserves.

AFL controls all footy except in SA and WA.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:05 pm

Quote from article:

AFL bought the rights to the VFL a long time ago mate, 90s I think.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Brucetiki » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:17 pm

Quote from article:

I'd prefer a full round of SANFL during Gather Round personally, but the AFL would never allow that. Heaven forbid if a few Victorians went to a SANFL match and enjoyed it.
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 34 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL