The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:10 am

MW wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
MW wrote:You are very narrow minded Wedgie... think outside your club mate.
It's already happening... the SANFL will be defunct 5 years after the AFL sides exit. Bookmark this.

Rather be narrow minded than clueless.
All the AFL clubs do is whinge, they don't bring anything positive to the SANFL.
It would be narrow minded to think the SANFL rely on them.

SANFL is dying with or without the AFL teams. When you take the blinkers off one day, you will see that.

Without the reserves, the sanfl can flourish.
They don't need to be a comp where the afl tell them to be a testing ground for potential rule changes.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:14 am

MW wrote:you lot are a little strange...
For how many years you are pushing Port and Crows out of the SANFL
As soon as it looks like happening..."how will they afford it?" "SANFL have a binding contract for $400k per year" etc etc
:lol: which one do you want?

I want them out......but agree with you that the SANFL is in strife either way.

The question about how will they afford it is just out of genuine curiosity and looking at it from a Crows/Port support point of view. Like i said it wouldn't be a cheap exercise to fly and accommodate an extra 22 players plus at least 5 coaches/support staff for roughly 10 games a year. If i was a Port/Crows supporter i would be wondering whether the increased costs would be worth it for on paper what's looks to be minimal benefits. Surely no one thinks the Port/Crows AFL teams will dramatically improve because the reserves are in a different comp.

I'm guessing the AFL will direct the Victorian clubs but the other side of the coin is why would the Vic clubs want the SANFL clubs in their VFL. Will increase their travel requirements / running costs even more than what they are now.

If i was a betting man i think the SANFL will see a very small crowd increase in the first year or two of the reserves teams exiting the comp, but after that it will be back to square one trying to find their place in the football landscape. Kind of feels like the SANFL is in the middle of no mans land.

I just hope once the AFL teams are out of the comp the SANFL looks to become an alternative to the AFL but i just cant see that happening especially whilst those in high places at both SANFL admin and SANFL club level are looking for employment in the AFL system.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:16 am

If the fans of the AFL clubs want them to leave and the fans of the SANFL clubs want them to leave and they're now leaving can't we all just hold hands, sing Kumbaya and all raise our beers and have a party? :partyman:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby UK Fan » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:35 am

It's already happening... the SANFL will be defunct 5 years after the AFL sides exit. Bookmark this.

South Australian of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much you willing to put on it Mr Clueless Self absorbed Crows fan ???

Im assuming all country leagues and the SAAFL will be gone as well ??
Last edited by UK Fan on Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby RB » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:53 am

Obviously won't be completely smooth sailing but cancers out = fantastic opportunity for the SANFL.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:04 am

RB wrote:Obviously won't be completely smooth sailing but cancers out = fantastic opportunity for the SANFL.

They now have a fantastic marketing opportunity.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:23 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
RB wrote:Obviously won't be completely smooth sailing but cancers out = fantastic opportunity for the SANFL.

What changes are you making, just some suggestions not all logistically do-able:

-8 teams, top 4, 3 week finals series, I'm keeping finals at AO. Probably going with 21 game season playing each team 3 times....probably have preferred less games however.

-Grand Final to move back to the October long weekend Sunday. Could even be a Saturday hey??

-Lower the entrance price. I understand this has a flow on effect with memberships prices etc but i think it has to happen.

-Me personally i am opening the season with a gather round style day at AO. Free entry for all, carnival atmosphere, lots and lots for the kids to do, including meet and greet with players etc. Make it as interactive as possible. Surely if we can have a kick to kick on AO after a game we could get permission to let supporters onto AO for the quarter time huddles etc. Clubs to have membership marquees on the day etc.

-Every club must play one home game in their country zone.

-Could there be the potential to have u/16's , u/18's, reserves, league play at the same ground on the same day. More chance these families, players, friends etc will come and then stay on to watch other games. Yes the ovals will get smashed on the day but they will also get weekends with no footy on them.

-Crazier idea but could the SANFL offer a bonus premiership point for teams who score over 100pts in a game. Incentivize attacking football, keep games interesting to the final siren. If you are playing. Would also push the clubs to make sure their grounds don't end up as bog heaps.

-Another crazy idea and somewhat stolen from the AFL/NFL, but would you have a mid-season trade period. That way you might stop fringe reserve blokes who leave in June to country teams as they could get another SANFL crack. Would get some media exposure as well you would imagine.

Anyway just thoughts as i sit in a lecture style zoom meeting. :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:29 am

bertiebeatle1 wrote:
MW wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
As soon as it looks like happening..."how will they afford it?" "SANFL have a binding contract for $400k per year" etc etc

Both!!!!! We dont want them to get out of paying the $$$$$ they owe us

Us?
What do Port and Crows owe SANFL?
When they both leave, you will see what happens to the SANFL and it's not because of a $400k annual fee the Crows pump in each year that goes missing

SANFL fans are a different breed. Can't wait to revisit these threads in 10 years time when the comp is on its knees & they all come back whining & blaming Port & the Crows. Never anyone elses fault.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby another grub » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:46 am

Only interest I had in the SANFL will be gone soon. AFL sides.

I'm out
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 421 times

Postby dedja » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:48 am

whufc wrote:I'm not really the most knowledgeable on the topic but surely once Port tick the box of getting out of the SANFL the next serious task will be to have the SMA and the SANFL removed from the AO contract.

If you want to kill the SANFL, go right ahead, as this is the major revenue stream for the SANFL (and SACA).
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby cracka » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:56 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
MW wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Rather be narrow minded than clueless.
All the AFL clubs do is whinge, they don't bring anything positive to the SANFL.
It would be narrow minded to think the SANFL rely on them.

SANFL is dying with or without the AFL teams. When you take the blinkers off one day, you will see that.

Without the reserves, the sanfl can flourish.
They don't need to be a comp where the afl tell them to be a testing ground for potential rule changes.

Maybe the SANFL can now have a decent salary cap so players don't chase the big country dollars
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby DOC » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:59 am

The SANFL is way bigger than just the mens comp. They run football at every level in the state and therefore will not live nor die over one comp.

The AFL pays for the travel and accommodation of all the sides in the VFL comp.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby UK Fan » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:03 am

whufc wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

What changes are you making, just some suggestions not all logistically do-able:

-8 teams, top 4, 3 week finals series, I'm keeping finals at AO. Probably going with 21 game season playing each team 3 times....probably have preferred less games however.

-Grand Final to move back to the October long weekend Sunday. Could even be a Saturday hey??

-Lower the entrance price. I understand this has a flow on effect with memberships prices etc but i think it has to happen.

-Me personally i am opening the season with a gather round style day at AO. Free entry for all, carnival atmosphere, lots and lots for the kids to do, including meet and greet with players etc. Make it as interactive as possible. Surely if we can have a kick to kick on AO after a game we could get permission to let supporters onto AO for the quarter time huddles etc. Clubs to have membership marquees on the day etc.

-Could there be the potential to have u/16's , u/18's, reserves, league play at the same ground on the same day. More chance these families, players, friends etc will come and then stay on to watch other games. Yes the ovals will get smashed on the day but they will also get weekends with no footy on them.

-Crazier idea but could the SANFL offer a bonus premiership point for teams who score over 100pts in a game. Incentivize attacking football, keep games interesting to the final siren. If you are playing. Would also push the clubs to make sure their grounds don't end up as bog heaps.

-Another crazy idea and somewhat stolen from the AFL/NFL, but would you have a mid-season trade period. That way you might stop fringe reserve blokes who leave in June to country teams as they could get another SANFL crack. Would get some media exposure as well you would imagine.

Great post. Look all the options available without the dead weights.

I’m a big fan of the 100 point bonus point idea.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:31 am

UK Fan wrote:
whufc wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Great post. Look all the options available without the dead weights.

I’m a big fan of the 100 point bonus point idea.

Norwood will be ***ed with Bassett coming back to help Rawlings
Just need Andy Collins on board to ensure we never kick over 5 goals per game
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:33 am

Wedgie wrote:
MW wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

Both!!!!! We dont want them to get out of paying the $$$$$ they owe us

Us?
What do Port and Crows owe SANFL?
When they both leave, you will see what happens to the SANFL and it's not because of a $400k annual fee the Crows pump in each year that goes missing

50k a year per club. Whoopdeedo.
Monies made from extra crowds at home games not having to play the Power or Crows in front of family and friends who get in for free anyway will more than cover it.
I personally would contribute more than 1k extra to my club every year if/when it happens.
Not that my club would care too much about 50k as they could show up to a million dollar profit most years if they wanted to.

"losing" the $50,000/year equates to us finding an extra 138 people per game.
I'm sure that we can get those extra people to return to the SANFL, once the interlopers are gone.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby dedja » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:34 am

Norwood would be more at home in the women’s league. :lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:36 am

dedja wrote:
whufc wrote:I'm not really the most knowledgeable on the topic but surely once Port tick the box of getting out of the SANFL the next serious task will be to have the SMA and the SANFL removed from the AO contract.

If you want to kill the SANFL, go right ahead, as this is the major revenue stream for the SANFL (and SACA).

Port wouldnt care about that would they???

Havent they already cried on a couple of occasions about the SMA and the deal they have there.
whufc
Coach

Postby mal » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:37 am

Sorry to disagree with the 100 club
Great idea
BUT
It rains in the winter , depriving teams of the opportunity of 100+ points too often
Pot luck which days are dry or wet

It would only work if all grounds had the roof on
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby UK Fan » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:42 am

mal wrote:Sorry to disagree with the 100 club
Great idea
BUT
It rains in the winter , depriving teams of the opportunity of 100+ points too often
Pot luck which days are dry or wet

It would only work if all grounds had the roof on

I think it more about encouraging the coaches to implement a more attacking game style overall.

Its not the umpires that have made the game more defensive.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby dedja » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:42 am

whufc wrote:
dedja wrote:

Port wouldnt care about that would they???

Havent they already cried on a couple of occasions about the SMA and the deal they have there.

It’s got nothing to do with Port or the Crows.

The SMA was created by the State Government to guarantee the SANFL and SACA a long term revenue stream. Port and the Crows can scream all they like about the deals they get there.
dedja
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL