The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:50 am

dedja wrote:Norwood would be more at home in the women’s league. :lol:

One premiership and you're suddenly all gobby :P

Then you steal Curran off us :twisted:

But........you're right.................
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby dedja » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:57 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:

C’mon, Bass’s game plan gave you 3 flags, and Rawlings fluked another, so can’t be that bad. :lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby topshelf » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:00 pm

whufc wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
RB wrote:Obviously won't be completely smooth sailing but cancers out = fantastic opportunity for the SANFL.

They now have a fantastic marketing opportunity.

What changes are you making, just some suggestions not all logistically do-able:

-8 teams, top 4, 3 week finals series, I'm keeping finals at AO. Probably going with 21 game season playing each team 3 times....probably have preferred less games however.

-Grand Final to move back to the October long weekend Sunday. Could even be a Saturday hey??

-Lower the entrance price. I understand this has a flow on effect with memberships prices etc but i think it has to happen.

-Me personally i am opening the season with a gather round style day at AO. Free entry for all, carnival atmosphere, lots and lots for the kids to do, including meet and greet with players etc. Make it as interactive as possible. Surely if we can have a kick to kick on AO after a game we could get permission to let supporters onto AO for the quarter time huddles etc. Clubs to have membership marquees on the day etc.

-Every club must play one home game in their country zone.

-Could there be the potential to have u/16's , u/18's, reserves, league play at the same ground on the same day. More chance these families, players, friends etc will come and then stay on to watch other games. Yes the ovals will get smashed on the day but they will also get weekends with no footy on them.

-Crazier idea but could the SANFL offer a bonus premiership point for teams who score over 100pts in a game. Incentivize attacking football, keep games interesting to the final siren. If you are playing. Would also push the clubs to make sure their grounds don't end up as bog heaps.

-Another crazy idea and somewhat stolen from the AFL/NFL, but would you have a mid-season trade period. That way you might stop fringe reserve blokes who leave in June to country teams as they could get another SANFL crack. Would get some media exposure as well you would imagine.

Anyway just thoughts as i sit in a lecture style zoom meeting. :lol:

Think having a carnival style weekend on Adelaide Oval would be a great idea, four games on the same day. Not sure about 21 game season, maybe a 14 game season but have a night pre season comp played out over the first three weeks with that carnival weekend being first up and the following games being played at Adelaide Oval as well. 17 games seems reasonable. Just a thought
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby dedja » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:03 pm

dedja wrote:For those that can't or won't move on, who have protested by not buying their club's membership this year, won't go to Port or Crows SANFL games, or for those that just need a place to sook.

Here you go.

Just taking a moment to reflect on the start of this thread on April 6, 2014.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:06 pm

dedja wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

C’mon, Bass’s game plan gave you 3 flags, and Rawlings fluked another, so can’t be that bad. :lol:

Yes to Bass but the other clubs have now worked out how to beat it

It wasn't Rawlings' game plan that won that one. Quite the opposite. Change or you're not here next year.
Then we win it so he goes back this year to try to prove his game plan does work

Buckley did the same (although he missed the premiership). They cant help themselves. Maximum hubris
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby UK Fan » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:07 pm

topshelf wrote:
whufc wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
RB wrote:Obviously won't be completely smooth sailing but cancers out = fantastic opportunity for the SANFL.

What changes are you making, just some suggestions not all logistically do-able:

-8 teams, top 4, 3 week finals series, I'm keeping finals at AO. Probably going with 21 game season playing each team 3 times....probably have preferred less games however.

-Grand Final to move back to the October long weekend Sunday. Could even be a Saturday hey??

-Lower the entrance price. I understand this has a flow on effect with memberships prices etc but i think it has to happen.

-Me personally i am opening the season with a gather round style day at AO. Free entry for all, carnival atmosphere, lots and lots for the kids to do, including meet and greet with players etc. Make it as interactive as possible. Surely if we can have a kick to kick on AO after a game we could get permission to let supporters onto AO for the quarter time huddles etc. Clubs to have membership marquees on the day etc.

-Could there be the potential to have u/16's , u/18's, reserves, league play at the same ground on the same day. More chance these families, players, friends etc will come and then stay on to watch other games. Yes the ovals will get smashed on the day but they will also get weekends with no footy on them.

-Crazier idea but could the SANFL offer a bonus premiership point for teams who score over 100pts in a game. Incentivize attacking football, keep games interesting to the final siren. If you are playing. Would also push the clubs to make sure their grounds don't end up as bog heaps.

-Another crazy idea and somewhat stolen from the AFL/NFL, but would you have a mid-season trade period. That way you might stop fringe reserve blokes who leave in June to country teams as they could get another SANFL crack. Would get some media exposure as well you would imagine.

Think having a carnival style weekend on Adelaide Oval would be a great idea, four games on the same day. Not sure about 21 game season, maybe a 14 game season but have a night pre season comp played out over the first three weeks with that carnival weekend being first up and the following games being played at Adelaide Oval as well. 17 games seems reasonable. Just a thought

Clubs will want more home games than what they get now not less.

14 wont do
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:08 pm

In 2013 is was "critical" for the Crows and Port to have stand alone teams in the SANFL, we have always been their plaything, nothing more.

The comp since 2013 has been heavily compromised -

> Prioritising development over winning
> Players playing limited game time, even in finals
> Crows not having home games
> Top up players not up to SANFL league standard (remember when earning a league game was special?)
> Fixture needing to fit in with AFL requirements = reduced flexibility
> Injuries heavily impacting their performance

Now is the chance for the comp to be the genuine 2nd best comp in the land, decisions made from here will be critical, a real opportunity presents itself.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby dedja » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:13 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
dedja wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Yes to Bass but the other clubs have now worked out how to beat it

It wasn't Rawlings' game plan that won that one. Quite the opposite. Change or you're not here next year.
Then we win it so he goes back this year to try to prove his game plan does work

Buckley did the same (although he missed the premiership). They cant help themselves. Maximum hubris

That was easier than shooting fish in a barrel. :lol:

Bass will be the head coach before the end of next season, let’s see if he’ll change anything from that ultra defensive game plan that, as you say, everyone worked out years ago.

Maybe I need to create a separate Norwood whinging thread. 8)
dedja
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:17 pm

topshelf wrote:
whufc wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

I love the concept of having teams play each other equal amount of times so its a balanced fixture. That would require 14 games (which imo is too short and maybe detrimental to players leaving to country leagues vs 21 games which is probably a bit too long. The only option maybe to do what the AFL does and have 3 triple ups for a 17 game season which is about right.

Maybe the 'fairest' way it could it work is that your 3 triple up games are either against the other bottom 3 teams if you finished in the bottom four of the ladder last season or the three other top 4 teams if you made finals.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby hollywood7477 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:26 pm

UK Fan wrote:
MW wrote:you lot are a little strange...
For how many years you are pushing Port and Crows out of the SANFL
As soon as it looks like happening..."how will they afford it?" "SANFL have a binding contract for $400k per year" etc etc
:lol: which one do you want?

Both!!!!! We dont want them to get out of paying the $$$$$ they owe us

Pay US. so they owe you money do they.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 72 times

Postby hollywood7477 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:29 pm

Wedgie wrote:
MW wrote:You are very narrow minded Wedgie... think outside your club mate.
It's already happening... the SANFL will be defunct 5 years after the AFL sides exit. Bookmark this.

Rather be narrow minded than clueless.
All the AFL clubs do is whinge, they don't bring anything positive to the SANFL.
It would be narrow minded to think the SANFL rely on them.

And all you do is whinge about the AFL clubs in the SANFL. You all wanted them out it looks like happening , stop sooking
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Postby dedja » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:31 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:Pay US. so they owe you money do they.

I’m a simple man, I’d be happy for Port to pay back the $37m the SANFL ploughed into them to keep them afloat before cutting them loose. Only cost the SANFL Football Park and a bailout from the State Government in the form of the AO deal.

Either that or faark off. :-({|=
dedja
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:32 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
As soon as it looks like happening..."how will they afford it?" "SANFL have a binding contract for $400k per year" etc etc

Yep

Let me know if you need me to explain the article to you.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/99008/sa-cl ... e-than-18m
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:34 pm

Do we need to change the topic title shortly?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby dedja » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:36 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Do we need to change the topic title shortly?

The whinging will never stop. :lol:
dedja
Coach

Postby hollywood7477 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:41 pm

UK Fan wrote:
hollywood7477 wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

Yep

Let me know if you need me to explain the article to you.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/99008/sa-cl ... e-than-18m

So ur an SANFL club are you. they dont owe YOU 1c. you are just a nobody to Port and the Crows.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Postby RB » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:43 pm

whufc wrote:
topshelf wrote:
whufc wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:[quote="RB"]Obviously won't be completely smooth sailing but cancers out = fantastic opportunity for the SANFL.

Anyway just thoughts as i sit in a lecture style zoom meeting. [emoji38]

I love the concept of having teams play each other equal amount of times so its a balanced fixture. That would require 14 games (which imo is too short and maybe detrimental to players leaving to country leagues vs 21 games which is probably a bit too long. The only option maybe to do what the AFL does and have 3 triple ups for a 17 game season which is about right.

Maybe the 'fairest' way it could it work is that your 3 triple up games are either against the other bottom 3 teams if you finished in the bottom four of the ladder last season or the three other top 4 teams if you made finals.[/quote]

Just have 21 games. Most SANFL seasons over the forty years or so before the cancers came in had 20-22 games per team. And clubs aren't going to want to lose home games.

10 home games, 10 away games, and the extra game will be country/Adelaide Oval, simple.

I liked most of your ideas BTW.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:57 pm

Would think it needs to be 21 game season
Home-away-neutral
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:59 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Would think it needs to be 21 game season
Home-away-neutral

Would you play a game each year at a country ground?

How would you make that work.

Would you have 2 rounds (1 home game each team) that are specifically country rounds or would just stipulate to each club they must hold one home game at a country venue and then each club could decide which round/game that would be.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby dedja » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:01 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Would think it needs to be 21 game season
Home-away-neutral

Clubs wont tolerate having less home games.
dedja
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL