PAFC 2024

Talk on the national game

Re: PAFC 2024

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:07 pm

It is an easy competition, you're right.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:38 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:That's why there's no recipe for success, nobody really knows but I stand by my view that come the last two weeks of the year if you need someone to motivate you to play your role then you're in the wrong game.

Coaches spend the summer drilling down game plans, if those plans work well enough, often enough, you make finals. After that you need to look in the mirror, not for someone to hold your hand.

MW wrote:Interesting take.
I would think you need a game plan to withstand finals as we all know finals is a much different game than home/away.

If your game plan doesn't stand up in the minor round you won't even be there.

I 100% agree there is no locked in recipe for success. I'm a Hinkley fan btw.

I don't think its so much about being motivated, I'm sure they are all motivated. It would be more so about having each player in a good mental head space (for them as an individual) and creating an environment that allows for individuals to thrive when the immense pressure hits. At all levels of sport there is blokes who stand up in the big games and blokes that go missing. How do you get the best out of each person under pressure is the trick to coaching in finals imo.

Even as country bumkins playing spud sport you feel the rise in pressure, intensity, importance at our level of sport so could barely imagine what that feels like at the professional level.

I dont watch Port close enough but i will also admit that there is certain styles of football that tend to stand up better under finals pressure. I could accept that a coach may have a style that works well in the minor round but when it comes to finals, the pressure is on, the game is pretty much umpired different etc that a style might not stand up. I think the general consensus and it stood up well was that Collingwood had a style of football that not only will win minor games but was also going to stand up to finals football well.

I guess its what makes the game so fascinating. Thats all before we start to talk about the physically peaking element etc etc.

Get off his horn!!
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:46 pm

Port have an inability to win the big games that matter, you can caress the fact and push the blame to wherever you feel like.

Kenny panics under pressure, he orders a negative game plan too early sometimes IMO as there is no plan B.

As a supporter we have to put up with the dumb shit that falls out of his pie hole, I can only imagine what it does for the players’ mindset.

Pound for pound our squad is as good as any, it has been for several years, we continue to fall over at the last hurdle, I think there’s a common denominator.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mots02 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:56 pm

In Feb 2023 it was best list ever wasn't it?

Cattle is there.... but the farmer is shite.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:00 pm

mots02 wrote:In Feb 2023 it was best list ever wasn't it?

I thought we done better than I was giving credit for in Feb 23, I thought we’d finish mid range.

We played some fantastic football and should’ve gone deeper, fell away when it mattered.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:08 pm

The way people take comments makes me laugh, really does.

Might well have been the best list he's had, was it the best list in the competition? No, not by a long way but hey, use what you need to have a crack.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:36 pm

Booney wrote:

Might well have been the best list he's had, was it the best list in the competition? No, not by a long way but hey, use what you need to have a crack.

Yep, if you lose Robbie Gray your list can’t have improved, the rise of the new #9 certainly helped with the coverage.

SPP stepping up was huge in our development
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Vamos » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:32 pm

Booney wrote:

Yeah love the ol 1000 word post on why we are shit followed by the ol "I don’t watch Port closely" :lol:
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:03 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Port have an inability to win the big games that matter, you can caress the fact and push the blame to wherever you feel like.

Kenny panics under pressure, he orders a negative game plan too early sometimes IMO as there is no plan B.

As a supporter we have to put up with the dumb shit that falls out of his pie hole, I can only imagine what it does for the players’ mindset.

Pound for pound our squad is as good as any, it has been for several years, we continue to fall over at the last hurdle, I think there’s a common denominator.

Is it?????

-imo lacking a serious big, bodied midfielder that can tear a game apart either in the midfield or going forward like a De Goey or Petracca. JHF might end up being that guy. Rozee/Butters are guns but are very light. The best sides have a few tough inside footballers suited to finals football.

-Lacking in tall forwards that have a presence especially when Dixon is/was playing on one leg.

-thin in the rucks as well

-Midfield depth just doesn't compare to the best side. I mean Collingwood had Mitchell starting on the bench in the grand final
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:33 am

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Port have an inability to win the big games that matter, you can caress the fact and push the blame to wherever you feel like.

Is it?????

-imo lacking a serious big, bodied midfielder that can tear a game apart either in the midfield or going forward like a De Goey or Petracca. JHF might end up being that guy. Rozee/Butters are guns but are very light. The best sides have a few tough inside footballers suited to finals football.

-Lacking in tall forwards that have a presence especially when Dixon is/was playing on one leg.

-Midfield depth just doesn't compare to the best side. I mean Collingwood had Mitchell starting on the bench in the grand final

Everyone has flaws and strengths, I don’t think our midfield is our weakness, obviously Collingwood, Bulldogs and Melbourne out muscle everyone in them stakes.

You don’t win 13 games straight if you’re not up and around the mark, I did state “as good as any” not the best. Although not big bodied, Butters certainly tore a few games a new one, Rozee the same, oh and then there’s the former Brownlow medallist in there too who is obviously down on medal form but surely it’s gotta click again at some stage.

We had our chances, we made our own luck, we’ve been in a strong position many times late in the season but have failed to polish it off.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:32 am

Willem Drew signs a 4 year contract extension taking his 2024 deal through to the end of 2028.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bertiebeatle1 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:27 am

whufc wrote:

Is it?????

Do you actually believe the absolute tripe you post everywhere? Didn't you just post that you don't watch Port close enough but then make a comment about ruck, mid & fwd depth???? But you don't watch them closely enough? Didn't think you could get worse than the rubbish you go on about with Alex Carey but I was wrong
bertiebeatle1

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:49 am

Lightning said there as 'good as any'.

I don't watch Port close enough from a tactical/structures/set up point of view to get in the depth of Hinkleys complete tactical nous. However from watching games at a pub with beer in hand whilst chatting away i am comfortable to say they are NOT as good as any. I believe that the GF match up of Collingwood and Brisbane was the best two teams in the comp, not by heaps but by enough that most pundits had them playing in the GF and thats how it turned out.

I would also have a fully fit Melbourne a tad ahead of Port as well. Thats not saying Port couldn't beat them on any given day but no one was shocked that Port couldn't turn another top 4 finish into a GF appearance. Port are a very good side just not the best as the results showed.

The general concensous from all the people i would chat footy was leading into last years finals were that Port was a good side, they were a team that could get hot but seeing them win 3 tough finals against strong opponents (collingwood, brisbane, melbourne) was going to be extremly unlikely. Most people i spoke to felt that Collingwood, Brisbane, Melbourne all had another gear to go to come finals. As we realise now Melbourne have a bit of shit going on behind the scenes.

BTW i think its fair to say i've been fairly spot on about Carey, his test career has been 'modest' at absolute best.
whufc
Coach

Postby bertiebeatle1 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:06 am

whufc wrote:Lightning said there as 'good as any'.

I don't watch Port close enough from a tactical/structures/set up point of view but from watching games at a pub with beer in hand whilst chatting away i am comfortable to say they are NOT as good as any. I believe that the GF match up of Collingwood and Brisbane was the best two teams in the comp, not by heaps but by enough that most pundits had them playing in the GF and thats how it turned out.

I would also have a fully fit Melbourne a tad ahead of Port as well. Thats not saying Port couldn't beat them on any given day but no one was shocked that Port couldn't turn another top 4 finish into a GF appearance. Port are a very good side just not the best as the results showed.

BTW i think its fair to say i've been fairly spot on about Carey, his test career has been 'modest' at absolute best.

Playing unfit players in the finals contributed massively to falling over come finals along with a couple other coaching deficiencies. Winning 13 in a row didn't help in the long run either. Not sure how you could have Melbourne in front when you go through things in detail but anyway..

Back to your line comments

How many of these can you have in your squad. Go through each team if you are going to make this comment and check it out, more so the top teams. Dixon on one leg and wasn't rested as much as he should have with Georgiades out for the season. Don't know of any team that has 3 tall forwards with a presence that Dixon has.

No arguments here - But look at the premiership side & their rucks, they aren't in the top 10-12 rucks in the comp. Good coaching can structure around this.

Mitchell isn't who he used to be - I didn't think he was in their best side going into the finals. Rozee, Butters, Wines (When played in there like he should be - coaching issue) & JHF are the 4 best mids for the club. One of them is either starting fwd or on the bench? Taking any of those 4 over Mitchell?

You made the comment re not having a Petracca or De Goey type. Not sure how many of these guys are in the league? Bont, Cripps are others i can think of. They aren't common guys to have and are rare to find. Brisbane don't have one of those types.

You are a Hinkley fan but don't watch Port close enough from a tactical/structures/set up point of view?? Spare me the dribble
bertiebeatle1

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:34 am

bertiebeatle1 wrote:

I don't watch Port close enough from a tactical/structures/set up point of view but from watching games at a pub with beer in hand whilst chatting away i am comfortable to say they are NOT as good as any. I believe that the GF match up of Collingwood and Brisbane was the best two teams in the comp, not by heaps but by enough that most pundits had them playing in the GF and thats how it turned out.

Playing unfit players in the finals contributed massively to falling over come finals along with a couple other coaching deficiencies. Winning 13 in a row didn't help in the long run either. Not sure how you could have Melbourne in front when you go through things in detail but anyway..

How many of these can you have in your squad. Go through each team if you are going to make this comment and check it out, more so the top teams. Dixon on one leg and wasn't rested as much as he should have with Georgiades out for the season. Don't know of any team that has 3 tall forwards with a presence that Dixon has.

No arguments here - But look at the premiership side & their rucks, they aren't in the top 10-12 rucks in the comp. Good coaching can structure around this.

Mitchell isn't who he used to be - I didn't think he was in their best side going into the finals. Rozee, Butters, Wines (When played in there like he should be - coaching issue) & JHF are the 4 best mids for the club. One of them is either starting fwd or on the bench? Taking any of those 4 over Mitchell?

You made the comment re not having a Petracca or De Goey type. Not sure how many of these guys are in the league? Bont, Cripps are others i can think of. They aren't common guys to have and are rare to find. Brisbane don't have one of those types.

You are a Hinkley fan but don't watch Port close enough from a tactical/structures/set up point of view?? Spare me the dribble

Not disagreeing but it also proves my point. Brisbane for as good as they are have no flag either despite having a very good midfield. They are missing one key ingredient that has been common in recent premiership side.

A key indicator of a team that can win a flag in recent history is that they have that big bull of a midfielder. Since 2016 you've had Richmond, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood, Geelong all win flags and unsurprisingly they have that bull of a midfielder that can also go forward and hit the scoreboard. WB-Bont, Geel- Dangerfield, Melb- Petracca, Rich- Martin, Coll- de Goey.

The reason i dont mind Hinkley is that i think he has done an acceptable job with them, no he hasnt got the flag but like Booney often says...it aint that easy. I think he has got Port to being a very good side but i also don't think the squad is just there 'yet' as far as winning a flag. IMO on many occasions Hinkley has got the best out of the quality in the squad eg this year. Port were a good side, probably about a 3-5 side on paper imo and thats where he got them. Had he got a flag i think he would have overachieved with that squad or more so the opponents they were facing and that would have been a goalith effort.

BTW i dont disagree about your comment on the rucks. Many a premiership side with 'serviceable' type ruckmen but you're going to need some serious inside mids. eg Collingwood this year. 2016 WB were inside beasts, Geelong were the same with great in and under blokes like Selwood.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:00 pm

whufc wrote:
bertiebeatle1 wrote:

Not disagreeing but it also proves my point. Brisbane for as good as they are have no flag either despite having a very good midfield. They are missing one key ingredient that has been common in recent premiership side.

A key indicator of a team that can win a flag in recent history is that they have that big bull of a midfielder. Since 2016 you've had Richmond, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood, Geelong all win flags and unsurprisingly they have that bull of a midfielder that can also go forward and hit the scoreboard. WB-Bont, Geel- Dangerfield, Melb- Petracca, Rich- Martin, Coll- de Goey.

The reason i dont mind Hinkley is that i think he has done an acceptable job with them, no he hasnt got the flag but like Booney often says...it aint that easy. I think he has got Port to being a very good side but i also don't think the squad is just there 'yet' as far as winning a flag. IMO on many occasions Hinkley has got the best out of the quality in the squad eg this year. Port were a good side, probably about a 3-5 side on paper imo and thats where he got them. Had he got a flag i think he would have overachieved with that squad or more so the opponents they were facing and that would have been a goalith effort.

BTW i dont disagree about your comment on the rucks. Many a premiership side with 'serviceable' type ruckmen but you're going to need some serious inside mids. eg Collingwood this year. 2016 WB were inside beasts, Geelong were the same with great in and under blokes like Selwood.

Rozee kicked more goals than all of the players you listed besides Trac, he played a few games as a permanent forward though
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby dedja » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:02 pm

Hope you’re taking notes Boon. #-o
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:04 pm

dedja wrote:Hope you’re taking notes Boon. #-o

Fancy picking out the bits worth reading for me?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mots02 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:24 pm

Booney wrote:
dedja wrote:Hope you’re taking notes Boon. #-o

Fancy picking out the bits worth reading for me?

Almost like we need some to review it ;)
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby dedja » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:41 pm

This is the best I could come up with ...

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL