The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:17 am

cracka wrote:
Jim05 wrote:I will be glad when they are both gone but I’m just curious as to how both clubs see the VFL benefiting them?
From everything I’ve heard the National Reserves are a long while away still with 4 years away minimum being mentioned.
The VFL salary cap is a paltry $110k per year with no plans to increase it anytime soon which makes it hard to get top ups and the fixtures are an absolute joke with reserves teams forced to play at the same time at different venues as the AFL side even in your home state which makes it hard for staffing and hence some blowouts in soft cap. The comp is also of pretty poor standard so I do wonder if the benefits will be worth it.
If there was a proper National reserves comp then yes it would absolutely be worth it IMO

The novelty of going interstate every 2nd week might actually attract some top up players & staff

Yeah i tend to agree. Playing against other AFL clubs rather than playing the dogs in Elizabeth might be a greater attraction for top up players. Especially if they end up on the same plane with the AFL guys wearing the get up....
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:29 am

whufc wrote:
cracka wrote:
Jim05 wrote:I will be glad when they are both gone but I’m just curious as to how both clubs see the VFL benefiting them?
From everything I’ve heard the National Reserves are a long while away still with 4 years away minimum being mentioned.
The VFL salary cap is a paltry $110k per year with no plans to increase it anytime soon which makes it hard to get top ups and the fixtures are an absolute joke with reserves teams forced to play at the same time at different venues as the AFL side even in your home state which makes it hard for staffing and hence some blowouts in soft cap. The comp is also of pretty poor standard so I do wonder if the benefits will be worth it.
If there was a proper National reserves comp then yes it would absolutely be worth it IMO

The novelty of going interstate every 2nd week might actually attract some top up players & staff

Yeah i tend to agree. Playing against other AFL clubs rather than playing the dogs in Elizabeth might be a greater attraction for top up players. Especially if they end up on the same plane with the AFL guys wearing the get up....
The way the VFL draw works there is more chance of them flying to different states on the same day.
It was an absolute shambles this year
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:32 am

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:
cracka wrote:

The way the VFL draw works there is more chance of them flying to different states on the same day.

Yeah surely if a proper AFL reserves come in it will be genuine reserves games before the AFL games to keep it simple.
whufc
Coach

Postby wenchbarwer » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:43 am

whufc wrote:Yeah surely if a proper AFL reserves come in it will be genuine reserves games before the AFL games to keep it simple.

You're making a huge assumption that the AFL deal in common sense...
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:54 am

whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:
cracka wrote:[quote="Jim05"]I will be glad when they are both gone but I’m just curious as to how both clubs see the VFL benefiting them?

Yeah surely if a proper AFL reserves come in it will be genuine reserves games before the AFL games to keep it simple.[/quote]Absolutely but that won’t be until 2027 at earliest IMO.
Still a hell of a lot of water to pass under the bridge. The standalone clubs have agreements in place as do the affiliate clubs with their AFL interests.
I’m not sure we will ever end up with every game having curtain raisers as last year the MCG and Marvel indicated they weren’t keen on the idea
Jim05
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:07 am

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:

Yeah surely if a proper AFL reserves come in it will be genuine reserves games before the AFL games to keep it simple.
Absolutely but that won’t be until 2027 at earliest IMO.
Still a hell of a lot of water to pass under the bridge. The standalone clubs have agreements in place as do the affiliate clubs with their AFL interests.
I’m not sure we will ever end up with every game having curtain raisers as last year the MCG and Marvel indicated they weren’t keen on the idea

One only ahs to look at vision of the MCG from the 80s and mid 90s to show the effect of reserves and league traffic on it.

And the that's when they only had one may be two games tops on the ground a weekend.

yes the ground ahs been upgraded with better drainage which has helped also.

We're only at the point of a request to join as Jim and knowledge have pointed out/intimated, Port may find out that its not only at the SANFL boardroom that they dont get what they want.

Time will tell
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby knowledge » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:30 am

cracka wrote:

Until they have to sell"" the idea to their employers. Then the novelty will wear off...
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby knowledge » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:31 am

cracka wrote:

Until they have to "sell" the idea to their employers. Then, the novelty will wear off...
knowledge
Rookie

Postby knowledge » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:31 am

cracka wrote:

Until they have to "sell" the idea to their employers. Then, the novelty will wear off...
knowledge
Rookie

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:48 am

We get it!
Employers will be an issue
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:55 am

amber_fluid wrote:We get it!

Not sure they would be would they.....

I can only speak of myself and our organisation but we would do everything possible to allow someone to chase a dream. Never mind the part that if they are a casual employee they are allowed to be available/unavailable.

I reckon it would only be a very smallish percentage that would be denied by work.
whufc
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:11 pm

whufc wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:We get it!

Not sure they would be would they.....

I can only speak of myself and our organisation but we would do everything possible to allow someone to chase a dream. Never mind the part that if they are a casual employee they are allowed to be available/unavailable.

I reckon it would only be a very smallish percentage that would be denied by work.

I was lost 488 pages ago!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby hollywood7477 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:29 pm

[quote="UK Fan"][quote="hollywood7477"][quote="UK Fan"][quote="hollywood7477"][quote="UK Fan"]
Both!!!!! We dont want them to get out of paying the $$$$$ they owe us

Pay US. so they owe you money do they.

Yep

Let me know if you need me to explain the article to you.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/99008/sa-cl ... e-than-18m

So ur an SANFL club are you. they dont owe YOU 1c. you are just a nobody to Port and the Crows.

I was clearly Speaking on behalf of the SANFl clubs dumbass.

For a bonus point: Why do you think the SANFl set the licence sale price at $18 mill to be paid back ??

WOW i didnt realise you are president of all SANFL clubs. What are you going to sook and whinge about when Port and the Crows leave and your defunct league goes to the shitter. let me guess Port and the Crows owe us $400k a year cos they left and our club has gone broke. Got another one for you, the Crows owe us 50 million dollars as they lived at West Lakes rent free for 30 odd years.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 72 times

Postby dedja » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:36 pm

Perhaps learn how to quote so we have some chance to understand what you're on about. :-s
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:22 pm

dedja wrote:Perhaps learn how to quote so we have some chance to understand what you're on about. :-s

I gave up trying to work it out...
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby stampy » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:06 pm

dedja wrote:Perhaps learn how to quote so we have some chance to understand what you're on about. :-s

so thats what they were trying to do, well i'll beef hooked!
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby dedja » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:09 pm

Andy Capel piece in the Advertiser ...

SANFL confident it will survive, with or without AFL clubs Port Adelaide Magpies and Adelaide Crows

The SANFL is adamant its historic competition will continue to thrive, with or without AFL reserves sides Port Adelaide and Adelaide.
With Port having formally applied to the AFL to join the VFL or a possible AFL reserves competition from 2025, SANFL chief executive Darren Chandler said he was “extremely confident’’ his league would survive any challenges presented by the clubs’ departure.

“The most important thing here is the structure of football in South Australia as this is what makes us successful,’’ Chandler said of Australia’s oldest state league competition, which will celebrate its 150th anniversary in 2027.

“That is that we have eight (stand alone) SANFL clubs and eight zones that drive participation and talent development.

“That is a very clear pathway for players in this state to know how they can get to the highest level.

“We want to invest more into the development of talent and we have a clear vision as to how we can continue to produce really good players in this state and maintain a really strong state league competition.

“The AFL has made it very clear to us that strong state leagues are a very important part of the overall football fabric of the nation.

“That gives us a lot of confidence and we will do whatever we can to maintain the structure of our league.’’

Chandler said the SANFL was yet to formally hear from Port about its plans to abandon the league, despite outspoken chairman David Koch publicly declaring his club would be better served playing in a national reserves competition, while its hometown AFL rival Adelaide has, respectfully, remained tight-lipped about its long-term plans for its seconds side.

“We’ll continue to have discussions with the two AFL clubs and the AFL as to the structure of our competition and what is best for football in SA,’’ Chandler said.

“They both have agreements to play in our competition until the end of 2028 and neither club has indicated to us that they intend to go before that.

“We understand there are some challenges out there but at the moment we feel the best structure for football in this state is how we have it now.

“Is it perfect, no, it can’t be a perfect scenario when you have different structures for teams and obviously the two AFL teams here are structured differently to the rest of the competition.

“But in terms of talking about whether they are competitive or how it impacts on player development, from a competitive point of view, Port has played in three (SANFL) grand finals since 2014.

“That is equal-second behind Woodville-West Torrens (four). The Crows have been regular finals participants and this year we saw both of these teams in finals.’’

Chandler strongly defended the SANFL against claims from Port that its rules and regulations had stifled the development of its young AFL players.

“We will do everything possible to make sure we protect the SANFL competition, our clubs and the talent pathway in SA, because if you talk to people outside of SA, they are envious of the structure we have here,’’ he said.

“I have spoken to people from AFL clubs in Victoria who look at our two AFL clubs here and say they wish they could play in a competition that good every week as a second tier competition.

“But we want to work with the AFL, Port and Adelaide to make sure we get the best result for footy in this state, for the SANFL and the two AFL clubs.’’

Chandler said the league’s long-term modelling was to ensure it had “eight really strong SANFL clubs with really good facilities’’.

“Six of our eight clubs have upgraded their facilities in recent times and we are working closely with South Adelaide and West Adelaide to hopefully see some major upgrades in the next couple of years,’’ he said.

“That’s most important, to make sure that our young, talented players have great facilities to train and play at and that players are constantly wanting to come from interstate to play in our competition because it offers a really good total club environment.’’

One of the concerns with losing Port and Adelaide from the competition – both sat out the 2020 season because of Covid restrictions, culminating in the top four teams playing finals – would be commercial, with some media coverage and corporate dollars possibly following the AFL reserves sides into their new league.

But Chandler stressed that the SANFL would remain a valuable media commodity, which this year continued to produce plenty of “eyeball’’ numbers for broadcaster Channel 7, the AFL and SANFL live streaming and other media outlets, including The Advertiser.

Channel 7’s broadcast commercial share average for the 2023 season was 40 per cent, with a 63 per cent share for the league grand final between Glenelg and Sturt, which peaked at 100,000 viewers.

“That’s enormous numbers,’’ Chandler said.

The average crowd attendance this year was 2151 – up 12 per cent on 2022 – with a season-high 7285 fans attending the Glenelg-Sturt King’s Birthday clash.

Chandler said plans were underway to build a $25 million, state-of-the-art training facility at West Lakes, which would serve as the home for the SANFL’s elite junior programs, while there would be more investment in specialist junior coaching.

He said the SANFL continually punched above its weight when it came to having players drafted to AFL clubs (averaging 19 per cent of national draftees in the past six years and 25 per cent of mid-season draftees) while participation numbers in the state were at an all-time high, with a record number of Auskickers in 2023.

“Per capita we are the best ranked state in the nation for participation, which is another example of how healthy football is here,’’ Chandler said.

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:20 pm

Interesting article written by Dan Menzel though.
I’ll see if I can find it but he doesn’t think the sanfl will survive too long without them.

Only time will tell
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:09 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Interesting article written by Dan Menzel though.
I’ll see if I can find it but he doesn’t think the sanfl will survive too long without them.

Only time will tell

Here ya go Amber.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/12/04/ ... ws-depart/
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:13 pm

UK Fan wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Interesting article written by Dan Menzel though.

Only time will tell

Here ya go Amber.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/12/04/ ... ws-depart/
A real nothing article IMO
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL