Australian International Summer 2023/24

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:21 am

amber_fluid wrote:I don’t get the love for Green.
Sure he’s gonna be a good player but why shouldn’t he be made to wait like good players in the past.

I’m bringing in Bancroft to open and making Green score runs at State level first.

He's 24, can bat at 5 ( averaging 33 ) bowl at 140k's ( averaging 35 ) and might be the best gully fielder we've ever had, that's what.

He's actually a sign the Australian selectors have an eye for the future, hard to believe I know!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:37 am

Booney wrote:
Sure he’s gonna be a good player but why shouldn’t he be made to wait like good players in the past.

I’m bringing in Bancroft to open and making Green score runs at State level first.

He's 24, can bat at 5 ( averaging 33 ) bowl at 140k's ( averaging 35 ) and might be the best gully fielder we've ever had, that's what.

He's actually a sign the Australian selectors have an eye for the future, hard to believe I know!

With our 3 quicks, Lyon and now Marsh we don’t really need an extra bowler do we?
If he comes in I think he has to be able to justify playing as just a batter and his average so far doesn’t justify that.

Agree about his fielding though as he’s as good as I’ve ever seen in that area.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:41 am

Booney wrote:
I think they want one opener who gets the game moving and both Smith and Khwaja play the anchor role so I don't think they do that.

Not 100% sure that's how Renshaw, Bancroft, or Harris bat or have an ability to do that better than Smith.

I know you cant believe everything that comes out of players and CAs mouth but the universal talk of Green being a generational talent is one that as you say they are keen to get him back into the team sooner rather than later to freshen up teh team with quality.

Wylie (WA) and Davies (NSW) are two others to keep an eye on along with the Gerkin.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:51 am

Marsh is 32 and I reckon it's fair to say his form since mid-Ashes has surprised us all.

Green made 38, 28, 0 and 3 before Marsh replaced him in the third Test and made that run a ball 118, it's been Marsh's spot to lose since then so I don't think they really need Green and Marsh in the side for bowling, but I reckon that want to get Green settled in the batting line up and at gully.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:31 am

Wylie hasn't scored more than 22 in his last 7 SS digs. His first class average is now only 23 and he is a bit of a grafter. He still has a long way to go and may even be out of the WA team when SS resumes.

The lack of coverage of SS cricket means many cricket folk only seem to notice when fringe players make runs but tend to overlook all the fails in between. Blokes like Renshaw, Harris and Street also fall into that category.

Bancroft is one of the few SS regulars who has churned out consistent scores the last couple of seasons. I'm not convinced with his technique but deserves another crack. And for those who watch the shield dismissals on the CA website. Not only is he a solid back-up wicketkeeper and considered one of the best short leg fielders in world cricket but some of his slip catching for WA has been outstanding.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:37 am

Agree.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:39 am

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:
I think they want one opener who gets the game moving and both Smith and Khwaja play the anchor role so I don't think they do that.

Not 100% sure that's how Renshaw, Bancroft, or Harris bat or have an ability to do that better than Smith.

Khawaja is 37 and Smith about to turn 35, we're hardly looking at the future if we don't bring in one of the above.

Renshaw is the most aggressive of those 3, I think Bancroft has the body of work behind him to get the gig though.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:50 am

Down the Hill wrote:Wylie hasn't scored more than 22 in his last 7 SS digs. His first class average is now only 23 and he is a bit of a grafter. He still has a long way to go and may even be out of the WA team when SS resumes.

You're right great man and with Davies and Wylie, I wasn't saying now but more in the future especially as you say Wylie has got the 2nd season blues big time and Davies may get them next season.

The problem for Harris and Bancroft is, Harris was alive when the Bays won their last final at Footy park and Bancroft only missed out by three months... ;)
Booney wrote:
Khawaja is 37 and Smith about to turn 35, we're hardly looking at the future if we don't bring in one of the above.

Renshaw is the most aggressive of those 3, I think Bancroft has the body of work behind him to get the gig though.

I just think that they are keener to get Green in then any of the others you mentioned hence why they'll push Smith up to get Green in.

Renshaw will be in within 12-18 months for Khawaja IMO.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby mal » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:00 am

2 points i want to raise today
Its Elvis Presley's birth date and the aging Australian team

How many of the current red and white ball team players will be retired in 2 to 5 years time?
Using a Gough Whitlam cliche 'Its time' to start blooding younger players NOW into the teams

The most important players at this stage might be , and who are ready NOW

In any format
Cameron Green
LanceSirlot of wicket Morris
Spencer Johnson

White ball
Fraser Mcbeserk

They are the BIG 4 i would be trying to get into the teams in the next 1-2 years
There are also a good dozen or so other young or youngish cricketers that are worthy of consideration as well

IF Australia does not start blooding players NOW , can we expect a tailspin for Australia in International cricket ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:16 am

McSweeney should be in that list mal.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:26 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:

With our 3 quicks, Lyon and now Marsh we don’t really need an extra bowler do we?
If he comes in I think he has to be able to justify playing as just a batter and his average so far doesn’t justify that.

Agree about his fielding though as he’s as good as I’ve ever seen in that area.

Not now we don't, in the next 18 months however......which is why i think they will go with Green.

Green would get to start with a soft series against the WI and hopefully find some test form back. He has a solid technique, seems to have no blatantly obvious weaknesses and IF he can find his confidence has the ability to bat a few levels. He hasn't done it at test level yet but has played some pretty fast scoring knocks in the shield and one day competitions.

Worst case scenario if he opens is that he doesn't find the form with the bat but potentially bowls really well and still remains the allrounder replacement for when Marsh finishes up which would have to be in the next 24 months.

The funny part about Green is its not completely out of the question that he might end up making it as a test cricket who bats well and bowls a little but also might turn out that he becomes a gun bowler who bats at 8. Could end up being the reverse to Steve Smith.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:51 am

It's rare for players (at pretty much all levels of the game) to become better bowlers than batters as they age, particularly quicks, in my view.

Warne's batting at the end of his career was a lot better than it was at the start. Merv Hughes the same. Even McGrath was better at the end, through in Gillespie too.

At club/park level I have seen it & been a part of it myself.

Started out as a bowler, batting 9, 10 even 11. Skip ahead to the end of my playing days, rarely bowled, batted top 4 every week.

As a vet, I don't even bowl in the nets.... but I still bat, reasonably. At least at the standard.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:59 am

I’m with you (in a non-creepy way), he needs to earn his spot back IMO.

As much as I don’t really like Bancroft, he is the obvious choice for mine, if Harris gets another go I’m taking up cricket again
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:10 pm

IMO they will get Green in somehow.

They have no confidence in the 3 openers to perform against India and England and that lack of support is justified.
They will not want one of those 3 making runs against the WI and being forced to play them the 1st 2 or 3 Tests of a 50/50 series.

Smith will open, the conversation has obviously been had for him to make the idea public, Its just PR to prep you for whats coming.

The interesting part is how will the fickle WA public take it, on one hand Bancroft misses out but Green comes in. Another excuse for their poor crowd next summer.
If the pitch wasnt so different in WA and favourable for us would they still have a Test? Also the time of the game for the Eastern states is very favourable for TV deals.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:21 pm

daysofourlives wrote:IMO they will get Green in somehow.

They have no confidence in the 3 openers to perform against India and England and that lack of support is justified.
They will not want one of those 3 making runs against the WI and being forced to play them the 1st 2 or 3 Tests of a 50/50 series.

Smith will open, the conversation has obviously been had for him to make the idea public, Its just PR to prep you for whats coming.

The interesting part is how will the fickle WA public take it, on one hand Bancroft misses out but Green comes in. Another excuse for their poor crowd next summer.
If the pitch wasnt so different in WA and favourable for us would they still have a Test? Also the time of the game for the Eastern states is very favourable for TV deals.
Don’t forget we head to NZ for 2 tests in a bit over a months time.
Bancroft, Harris or Renshaw might get some runs against the Windies but all 3 would be walking wickets over there.
I too think that for Smith to put it out there it’s just conditioning us for it to happen.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:53 am

Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:IMO they will get Green in somehow.

Don’t forget we head to NZ for 2 tests in a bit over a months time.
Bancroft, Harris or Renshaw might get some runs against the Windies but all 3 would be walking wickets over there.
I too think that for Smith to put it out there it’s just conditioning us for it to happen.

That seems the case, especially since in the last 24 hours a couple of current players have come out and voiced their approval 'IF' the move was to happen.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:21 am

A few media people are running with all 3 openers have been left out of squad to be announced tomorrow and that Green has come into the squad.
Just a matter of who opens out of Smith and Green by the looks of it
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:09 am

Bancroft might aswell tell the truth about everything now, name names blow up the joint.

Edit. Its not like I think Bancroft would do well at the job but what is the value of shield cricket if he isn't selected. Does white ball cricket mean more than shield cricket?
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:36 am

Armchair expert wrote:Bancroft might aswell tell the truth about everything now, name names blow up the joint.

Edit. Its not like I think Bancroft would do well at the job but what is the value of shield cricket if he isn't selected. Does white ball cricket mean more than shield cricket?

Join forces with Warner now he’s retired and just unload……….
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby dedja » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:38 am

I want to know what grit was used.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket