Australian International Summer 2023/24

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:21 pm

whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Bailey has just confirmed Smith is opening

The more I’ve thought about it the more I can see the move working (unless age has caught up with Smith)

In recent times the two areas I feel his been failing is his patience (as evidenced in the dismissal at cover against Pakistan) and the short ball.

By opening his less likely to get peppered with the short ball early with bowlers not willing to waste the new ball. At his absolute best Smith is patient and makes bowlers bowl to his areas. Absolutely no excuses for him at the top of the order, if he can get back to his patient best no reason he can’t make opening a success.

I thought his best was when he was flamboyant, I think he struggles to find the right ball to hit when he bats with patience.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:23 pm

Booney wrote:Depends how they plan on getting the batsman out, yes?

Like I said even if a batter has a bit of a weakness with the short ball how many teams/attacks start the innings bowling real short

How many times have you seen Starc and Hazelwood start an innings bowling majority short. Starc is always going to start seeing if he can get his ins winger to the right handers working regardless of who the batter is. Same with Hazelwood his always going to spend the first spell bowling that slightly back of a length and seeing if he can get some sidewards movement.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:27 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

The more I’ve thought about it the more I can see the move working (unless age has caught up with Smith)

In recent times the two areas I feel his been failing is his patience (as evidenced in the dismissal at cover against Pakistan) and the short ball.

By opening his less likely to get peppered with the short ball early with bowlers not willing to waste the new ball. At his absolute best Smith is patient and makes bowlers bowl to his areas. Absolutely no excuses for him at the top of the order, if he can get back to his patient best no reason he can’t make opening a success.

I thought his best was when he was flamboyant, I think he struggles to find the right ball to hit when he bats with patience.

Maybe… I just think when he has the bowlers bowling to the areas he wants is when his at his best. Short ball and leg side field has seemed to trouble him and same as when they go real wide outside off. Once he gets them bowling a stumps or two outside off - middle stump is when he starts toying with them, whipping balls through leg occasionally then on other occasions using his wrists/hands to find gaps in the offside

It’s all just opinion I suppose and we will see in the coming weeks how he starts albeit against weaker opposition
whufc
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:29 pm

Smith can open the batting left handed and still make runs against the Windies.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:34 pm

I know it’s only a tour game but 4/178 with wickets to the might of Nisbet, Haskett, Hope and Warren doesn’t bode well for the upcoming series. Is Karen Rolten still a road.

If the openers Chanderpaul and Braithwaite don’t make a few this side won’t score over 150 in any of their innings.
whufc
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:40 pm

Dinglinga75 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:[quote="Jim05"]CA XI playing the Windies down at KR oval now if anyone is interested

Is it a 3/4 day game?

3 day game

Ordinary Australian rep team. Mostly fully unknowns

Players that didnt make BBL

So do the ACB really take test cricket seriously ... We have a former powerhouse now struggling and we put together 11 players who make the numbers up. Whilst , were are not the only country to offer insipid teams as warm up games , maybe we take the stance and give our potential 2nd XI Australia team an opportunity.

It might affect a round of the BBL , but so be it .....[/quote]Pete Handscomb has flown in for the match. He's bound to skip the last session of the game to catch a flight to link back up with the Melbourne Stars.

Only good thing about this it's not an official First Class match. Means both sides can play more than 11.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:48 pm

I don't understand why Cam Green is not playing in this practice match along with
Harris
Boland (BBL I know)

been sitting on their butts for the last month.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby locky801 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:51 pm

Armchair expert wrote:I don't understand why Cam Green is not playing in this practice match

been sitting on his butt for the last month.

Cant take the risk of the Golden boy getting injured thats why ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3710 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:52 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Smith can open the batting left handed and still make runs against the Windies.

There lies the problem. Humphrey Bear could score against the Windies and then the lack of test cricket for our team will keep him in the team for the remainder of the year.

I’m glad it’s Smith though, if it was any of the 3 recognised openers then their numbers would’ve been inflated due to the opposition. Unfortunately though you can only perform against whoever you’re playing against and it’s become a 3 horse field
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:53 pm

Armchair expert wrote:I don't understand why Cam Green is not playing in this practice match along with
Harris
Boland (BBL I know)

I reckon because they didn’t pick him
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:58 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:I don't understand why Cam Green is not playing in this practice match along with
Harris
Boland (BBL I know)

You might be onto something here………….
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:11 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Harris
Boland (BBL I know)

You might be onto something here………….

:roll:
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:46 pm

The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:56 pm

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

Maybe… I just think when he has the bowlers bowling to the areas he wants is when his at his best. Short ball and leg side field has seemed to trouble him and same as when they go real wide outside off. Once he gets them bowling a stumps or two outside off - middle stump is when he starts toying with them, whipping balls through leg occasionally then on other occasions using his wrists/hands to find gaps in the offside

It’s all just opinion I suppose and we will see in the coming weeks how he starts albeit against weaker opposition

I agree with you Whufc, will be interesting to see how teams bowl to Smith opening the batting (obviously starting with the West Indies and New Zealand and the near future) knowing he's had his issues with teams bowling short to him before. Looking forward to seeing him adaptating to opening and hopefully he can continue to make runs doing it.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:14 pm

Windies 8/251 at stumps
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby Aerie » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:29 am

With Khawaja lacking motivation for this summer - I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls the pin sooner rather than later and the opening debate is brought up once again. I reckon best case scenario, he gets through next summer against India and maybe if we qualify, he pulls up boots after the WTC Final.

They liked the idea of Renshaw in India last time. They picked him in the middle order instead of Head for the 1st Test. I think they've got an eye on him replacing Khawaja as indicated by the squad selection. Just as Harris' County record had him as backup and in The Ashes squad instead of Bancroft. Age is also on Renshaw's side.

I don't think Bancroft is banished. I think the biggest fish to fry are India in India, England in England and the WTC Final in England and I don't think they rate Bancroft as highly in these conditions as the other two.

Having said all of that, if Bancroft continues to dominate in the Shield and Harris and Renshaw (or someone else) doesn't catch up, there will almost certainly be the position open for the home Ashes series in two years (if not against India at home next year) and Bancroft will be impossible to ignore.

Hopefully in Marnus, Green and Head, we have 3, 4 and 5 sewn up for the next 5+ years. That will give the team some stability with the likelihood every other position will see a changeover due to retirement or form.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:00 am

What would make Smith as an opener a success.

If he did it for 2 Australian summers averaging 40??
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:58 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:Ben Cameron on Twitter :

I feel greatly for Marcus Harris in all of this. Hasn’t been able to put up gaudy stats for the last year or two years because he’s been too busy mixing sports drink and running gloves as the next in line as part of Aus set up. Lost a little in the debates.

His last eight years in the Shield have returned an avg of 48 w/ 14 centuries from 64 matches. Also been prolific at County level with an average above 54. A century last time out vs a Test attack, Plus two years of loyal service waiting, helping.

Excellent take.

He is poop at the top level, he’s had enough shots and proven he isn’t up to it, averages 25 and he’s coming up 32

Ben's point, the one I agree with, he's in the Australian system as the next in line, he is under the guidance of the Australian coaches so clearly they have him in their mind as an option and when it's time to bring him in off the bench they cast him aside. Whether it's his ability or otherwise you feel for the bloke as he's been strung along for too long.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:15 am

whufc wrote:What would make Smith as an opener a success.

If he did it for 2 Australian summers averaging 40??

Well, going by recent media, Warner is the greatest cricketer to ever strap on a pad and averaged 44.59 (tenth all time for Australian openers!!). So if Smith averaged 40 he'd be close to the second coming of Jesus, but not quite.
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:26 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:Depends how they plan on getting the batsman out, yes?

Like I said even if a batter has a bit of a weakness with the short ball how many teams/attacks start the innings bowling real short

How many times have you seen Starc and Hazelwood start an innings bowling majority short. Starc is always going to start seeing if he can get his ins winger to the right handers working regardless of who the batter is. Same with Hazelwood his always going to spend the first spell bowling that slightly back of a length and seeing if he can get some sidewards movement.

Maybe you don't open with a bloke who struggles against the short ball then? Bowlers at their quickest, ball the hardest, yeah?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket