Australian International Summer 2023/24

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:13 am

Aerie wrote:I can understand the lack of respect/hope for a good series vs West Indies prior to the 1st Test, but I was surprised to see people double down after Adelaide. I went to the 2nd day and it was one of the best days of Test cricket I've been to. Had it not been for Travis Head, West Indies probably take a 1st Innings lead in that match too. So often we've seen Australian teams put the foot down in the final hour, as Hazelwood did on Day 2. The West Indies were very well lead, alert in the field and their bowlers looked dangerous.

Agree. I went the first two days, and thought the final result didn't fully reflect the contest. Even though Atahnaze and Hodge only scored a dozen each on the first morning they didn't give their wickets away, considering they were playing their 3rd and 1st tests.
However we have seen that many times, a bit of fight to start with and then the rest of the series a whitewash.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:17 am

dedja wrote:They captured the spirit of the great 60-61 Windies tour here.

I can’t remember so much love for an opposition team beating Australia in Australia … ever.

What does that say to us?

I think it is simply Aussies still love and respect the underdog if they are playing with a real spirit.

Funnily enough, during the Tests I wondered if this is what 60-61 was like too. Also, Chappelli used to talk of the rapport between the two sides in the 70's before the agro seem to come into it in the 80's.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:41 am

FlyingHigh wrote:

I can’t remember so much love for an opposition team beating Australia in Australia … ever.

I think it is simply Aussies still love and respect the underdog if they are playing with a real spirit.

Funnily enough, during the Tests I wondered if this is what 60-61 was like too. Also, Chappelli used to talk of the rapport between the two sides in the 70's before the agro seem to come into it in the 80's.

Not quite. In Viv Richards' autobiography, Hitting across the line, he called the chapter about the 1975-76 tour 'Fear and Loathing in Australia' which tends to suggest relations were anything but cordial. That series was the unofficial championship at the time and plenty of stuff that wouldn't wash today was said and the intimidation factor of Lillee, Thompson, Walker and Gilmour set the template for two decades of West Indies domination as Lloyd learned his lesson well.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:54 am

Aerie wrote:I can understand the lack of respect/hope for a good series vs West Indies prior to the 1st Test, but I was surprised to see people double down after Adelaide. I went to the 2nd day and it was one of the best days of Test cricket I've been to. Had it not been for Travis Head, West Indies probably take a 1st Innings lead in that match too. So often we've seen Australian teams put the foot down in the final hour, as Hazelwood did on Day 2. The West Indies were very well lead, alert in the field and their bowlers looked dangerous.

Any score over 200 is hard to chase in the 4th innings of a Test match. West Indies batsmen did a fine job in both innings to push to competitive totals.

It was one of the best Test match wins you could hope to see. Shamal Joseph an absolute breath of fresh air, as was his team. Craigg Braithwaite and Kemar Roach, wonderful leadership on field and off. The press conference after the game with Braithwaite and Joseph a late Christmas present for every cricket lover around the world. Hopefully just in time.

The players want to play Test cricket. The administrators must make it work. There needs to be dedicated windows for Test Cricket, World Cups of the shorter formats and IPL and clever fixturing of the local T20 leagues to make it work with international cricket. It can't be that hard. Cricket has never been richer, the ICC must subsidise the pay of the best 15 cricketers from West Indies, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Ireland to ensure they are available to play Test cricket for their country.

We have three very good and viable formats. Strike the right balance and we continue to see what we've seen at the Gabba and in India over the weekend.

^^^^^^^

It's the only thing that can keep test cricket alive in 10-15 years time. No changes to rules etc will work.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:33 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

Not quite. In Viv Richards' autobiography, Hitting across the line, he called the chapter about the 1975-76 tour 'Fear and Loathing in Australia' which tends to suggest relations were anything but cordial. That series was the unofficial championship at the time and plenty of stuff that wouldn't wash today was said and the intimidation factor of Lillee, Thompson, Walker and Gilmour set the template for two decades of West Indies domination as Lloyd learned his lesson well.

regards,

REB

Yeah, fair point about that series and have heard about Viv's book but haven't read that chapter. I think it was more about off-field camaraderie (possibly 72-73 as well) and both sides being so heavily involved in World Series Cricket.
Chappelli, according to him, was all over potential racism when Pakistan were here a couple years before that.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:41 pm

According to Viv, Windies were called 'black b+++++++s' routinely during the series.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:59 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:According to Viv, Windies were called 'black b+++++++s' routinely during the series.

regards,

REB

Not surprised in the slightest. Go down to the front bar of your local, chat with any of the 70-80 year olds and you will still here some seriously 'colourful' language.
whufc
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:22 pm

whufc wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:According to Viv, Windies were called 'black b+++++++s' routinely during the series.

regards,

REB

Not surprised in the slightest. Go down to the front bar of your local, chat with any of the 70-80 year olds and you will still here some seriously 'colourful' language.

Yeah remember my old man and his mates. Different time.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:55 pm

Bison wins the AB medal
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:10 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Bison wins the AB medal

Good on him!
Great story
Persisted and never gave up.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:13 pm

Also named ODI player of the year, Lyon named test player of the year and Jason Behrendorff named T20I player of the year.
https://youtu.be/JXvTZiahgLU?si=stxdZ-NuBBQCKOI8
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby dedja » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:57 am

Not an important enough event for your mate to turn up? :-??
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:07 am

Aerie wrote:The players want to play Test cricket. The administrators must make it work. There needs to be dedicated windows for Test Cricket

12 weeks in Northern hemisphere in June-August, 2 x 3 test match series. Sides could play one home and one away.

12 weeks in the Southern hemisphere in December-Feb 2 x 3 test match series. Sides could play one home and one away.

( Or 1 x 5 ).

This leaves Sep-Nov and March-May open for World Cups, IPL and pointless T2o internationals.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby MW » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:33 am

Is this proof that the AB Medal voting system is stuffed?
He clearly was not the best player in 2023...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:34 am

Booney wrote:
Aerie wrote:The players want to play Test cricket. The administrators must make it work. There needs to be dedicated windows for Test Cricket

12 weeks in Northern hemisphere in June-August, 2 x 3 test match series. Sides could play one home and one away.

12 weeks in the Southern hemisphere in December-Feb 2 x 3 test match series. Sides could play one home and one away.

( Or 1 x 5 ).

This leaves Sep-Nov and March-May open for World Cups, IPL and pointless T2o internationals.

Completely agree.

For financial purposes five test series when England, India and Australia play each other are always going to be preferred and do make sense.

However if you were starting test cricket from scratch with no history or financial worries 2 x 3 test series so each nation plays 12 tests a year (4 x 3 test series, 2 series at home, 2 away) would be the perfect test cricket set up.

I would then have the test championship with 12 teams, the current 9 plus Ireland, Afghanistan and Zimbabwe.

That way in theory you could easily play a series against each test nation in 3 years (if my math's is correct)
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:36 am

MW wrote:

All the 'best of' type medal systems are somewhat biased and favour a certain type of player.

Brownlow/Daly M favour midfielders
Border Medal will favour 3 format players and in particular gives all rounders a fair crack.
whufc
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:39 am

India effectively run world cricket, so unless it’s in their financial interest it’s not going to fly.

Until the ICC grows some balls (ain’t going to happen), expect more of the same.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby MW » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:54 am

whufc wrote:
MW wrote:

All the 'best of' type medal systems are somewhat biased and favour a certain type of player.

Brownlow/Daly M favour midfielders
Border Medal will favour 3 format players and in particular gives all rounders a fair crack.

True, but rare does a sport have such different formats that can skew the overall result. IMO they are three different awards, leave it as that and no point having an overall award.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Armchair expert » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:16 am

MW wrote:

Bit of a suprise to me I thought Trav was the likely winner.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Dinglinga75 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:48 pm

Any coincident that Mitch's game is more free flowing and not restricted since Langer has gone
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket