Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:25 pm

Turfie wrote:Lies, lies, lies. Let’s talk about Jarman and Heinzte to get everyone off the scent.

Provide your proof or go away
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Turfie » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:47 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Turfie wrote:Lies, lies, lies. Let’s talk about Jarman and Heinzte to get everyone off the scent.

Provide your proof or go away[/quote

It you’re the SANFL or the advertiser journalist, you’ll see it tomorrow . Screen shots are a wonderful thing.
Turfie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:01 pm

locky801 wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Lawyers for the state’s peak footballing body this week confirmed charges against the Gaza Football Club over alleged illegal sign-on payments made to former captain Brett Heintze in the 2018 and 2019 Adelaide Footy League season would be dropped.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/cha ... 7c4fbf704b

Guess the law suits now begin :shock:

I read it as a procedural problem
I'm not sure Jarman would be advised to go to Court over it
Then again, if he's silly enough to do it - good luck :-BD

My view from the outside is that's a minor part of the whole thing
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:48 pm

Turfie wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

It you’re the SANFL or the advertiser journalist, you’ll see it tomorrow . Screen shots are a wonderful thing.

That's fine, but if you're making these statements we just generally would like you to back them up so Griffen doesn't turn on us :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:04 pm

Footy Chick wrote:That's fine, but if you're making these statements we just generally would like you to back them up so Griffen doesn't turn on us :lol:

I dunno about you FC, but I love it when someone actually ponies up with some evidence!
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:43 pm

Turfie wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

Attachments
Retro Humor.jpg
Retro Humor.jpg (51.34 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby dedja » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:04 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 0247036328

SANFL claims Gaza ‘doubled’ community footy player payment allowance in day one hearing

The full extent of the Gaza Football Club’s alleged salary cap breaches has been revealed in day one of the club’s appeal hearing against the SANFL as it battles to exonerate itself of nearly 200 allegations.

The full breadth of the Gaza Football Club’s alleged salary cap breaches dating back to 2018 has been revealed during day one of its appeal tribunal hearing against the SANFL at the Adelaide Oval.
Representing the SANFL, Lawyer Andrew Culshaw alleged on Monday that Gaza had deliberately flouted SANFL Community Football and Adelaide Footy League salary cap and player payment rules and regulations up to 169 times between 2018 and 2022.

Gaza was handed an SA sport record fine of $380,000 by SANFL last September after a lengthy investigation into the alleged breaches.

Club president Don Rosella was also handed a suspension of 10 years from holding any official role with a SANFL-affiliated club.

Relying on statements made to the SANFL by six Gaza players turned witnesses, Mr Culshaw made the claim to Justice Michael David KC that the Eagles, represented by lawyer Greg Griffin, had breached salary cap allowances in seasons 2018, 2019, 2021 and 2022 through individual player payments and upfront player payments, including alleged $4000 sign-on fees.

It was alleged that the club paid the six players up to over $600 more per week than it claimed to in contracts lodged to the SACFL throughout this period, and that at one point the club doubled the player payment allowance of $2500 per team a week.

“One player was paid $850 a game in 2021 while his contract was for $200 a game, while another player in 2022 was paid $750 a game when his contract was for $100 a game,” Mr Culshaw said.

“When the total player payment allowance (per team) was $3000 a week, Gaza was trickling over that almost every week.

“In 2021, Gaza was comfortably over the allowed salary cap of $2500 a week … in 2022 total player payments went up over $5000 nearly every game – more than double the allowance.”

The tribunal also heard meetings were held between Mr Rosella, Gaza players and other club officials regarding payments, however Mr Griffin denied Mr Rosella was present for those meetings and accused whistleblowers of lying.

Gaza and Mr Rosella have repeatedly protested their innocence since the charges were laid last year and will continue to fight the allegations in the coming days.

Mr Griffin previously told The Advertiser the prosecution of the club was “disgraceful” and stood “in tatters”.

The tribunal hearing, including cross examination of witnesses, will continue on Tuesday and is expected to finish on Wednesday, when Justice David will conclude if the players in question received the money they claim to have received from the club.

If found guilty, the Eagles could also be stripped of player points used to recruit players under the Approved Player Points System through the next two years, and begin next season with a deduction of 12 premiership points.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Fricky » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:42 am

A lot of "he said, he said".
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby wenchbarwer » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:45 am

Fricky wrote:A lot of "he said, he said".

I was promised screenshots!!
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Postby Fricky » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:49 am

wenchbarwer wrote:

The SANFL would want more than just the words of players saying they were over paid. Surely they have some sort of paper or money trail to prove their case. However, what do the players gain in taking the stand and saying they were paid over the salary cap?
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:57 am

Fricky wrote:
wenchbarwer wrote:

The SANFL would want more than just the words of players saying they were over paid. Surely they have some sort of paper or money trail to prove their case. However, what do the players gain in taking the stand and saying they were paid over the salary cap?

Day 1 = Opening arguments
I would expect the (apparent) evidence to be rolled out by the SANFL of the next few days
Then its Gaza's turn to roll out their evidence (like the loan contract for the $4,000)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:14 am

I'm not a lawyer or a learned man.. but surely an organization like SANFL wouldn't waste time and resources on pushing forward with this if they didn't have strong evidence that Gaza had messed up - and not just go off the word of players?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby Trader » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:16 am

I agree they'd have evidence.
But even if they didn't, I'd back the word of 6 blokes with nothing to gain by saying it happened, vs the president who clearly gains from denying it.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:20 am

Verbal evidence is still evidence.

Ultimately, if that's what a trier of fact has, it's a matter of assessing the credibility of the conflicting stories as against the standard of proof.

In this it's hard to see the motive of a player to lie so you would think that Gaza's best case would be that the player's were somehow mistaken about what they were being paid or the nature of those payments
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:26 am

jo172 wrote:Verbal evidence is still evidence.

Ultimately, if that's what a trier of fact has, it's a matter of assessing the credibility of the conflicting stories as against the standard of proof.

In this it's hard to see the motive of a player to lie so you would think that Gaza's best case would be that the player's were somehow mistaken about what they were being paid or the nature of those payments

The involvement of stat decs from both sides spices it up a bit
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby bubba love » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:47 am

Is it too late for a plea of insanity by the folks running Gaza?
bubba love
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Mallee Park

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:47 am

Why did the former players flip?
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Bedge » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:54 am

Armchair expert wrote:Why did the former players flip?

I wouldn't mind knowing that.. only thing I can think of is that an (obvious) falling out between president + players followed by someone in the club either being a real prick about things or thinking they're smarter than the players and belittling them.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:00 pm

Or didn’t pay what they promised
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby wenchbarwer » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:02 pm

Brodlach wrote:Or didn’t pay what they promised

This is why you always get it in writing. Which, if that's the case, could be a bit nasty for Gaza...
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League