Career change

Anything!

Re: Career change

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:03 pm

mickey wrote:**Bumping an old thread instead of starting a new one**

After 27 years at the same place, my loyalty has run out, and it's time to make a move.

Applied for a role in a field that is totally unrelated to what i have done since i was 16. I never thought i would have ever had the courage to take a leap out of my comfort zone.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

You're a braver man than I, Mickey. Well done to you.

I'm in exactly the same boat, but am scared shitless of moving jobs, mainly because in the last 3 months, almost every last piece of confidence has been sucked right out of me.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:49 am

Footy Chick wrote:

After 27 years at the same place, my loyalty has run out, and it's time to make a move.

Applied for a role in a field that is totally unrelated to what i have done since i was 16. I never thought i would have ever had the courage to take a leap out of my comfort zone.

I'm in exactly the same boat, but am scared shitless of moving jobs, mainly because in the last 3 months, almost every last piece of confidence has been sucked right out of me.

You'd be surprised that no matter what role you're in, you have transferrable skills that other employers are seeking.

Worthwhile putting together a resume but instead of focusing on the tasks you perform, think about the skillset you provided to that function.

For instance, rather than saying I managed a team, think about how you managed them - allocation of tasks according to individual skillset, meeting of deadlines, and the time management skills that you put toward that, checking in on them on a regular basis, being the escalation point for issues etc. You will have a lot more skills than you think you have.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:22 am

Footy Chick wrote:

Making a couple of assumptions below, without know the exact differences in our situations.

I think I'm in a similar situation to you, being a good, productive, long term employee and the confidence and the good things you may have done in the past for your employer.

Except mine has been going on for two-three years - my advice is doing something now, because, believe me, your confidence won't come back and continue to dwindle.
Those positive things you should be happy about and need to emphasise to a new employer and can take to that new job get further and further away in your mind that you can't believe you ever had the skills to do them, you doubt yourself more and more and it becomes almost impossible to write a job application.

Too often we focus on the one or two things in a job ad we might not quite be able to do, not the other 8-10 things we can and have been doing, let alone you other general, transferable work skills.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby locky801 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:12 pm

Good luck with the change, as they say a change can be like a holiday

I left SAPOL after 33 years and moved into a different career and havent looked back and been there now 15 years

My next career change coming on 4 September 2025, full time retirement
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3710 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:08 am

locky801 wrote:Good luck with the change, as they say a change can be like a holiday

I left SAPOL after 33 years and moved into a different career and havent looked back and been there now 15 years

My next career change coming on 4 September 2025, full time retirement

I always said the chicks at work “change is as good as maternity leave”

I had mixed responses
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Previous

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion