AFL 2024

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2024

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:01 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Carlton for spoon after that practice match performance!

"The Prophet" :roll:

FFS. it's February!

I'm putting my grand final tickets up on ebay this evening

Hahaha!

Can I have first dibs?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Vamos » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:25 am

Dutchy wrote:Any more than 5 in a leadership group is just taking the piss

No different to workplaces these days. In my dept.we have 3 Managers and a 'Senior' in a team of 8.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Vamos » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:27 am

Booney wrote:5 years ago today.

Cupla war chest recruits in that back row.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby DOC » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:13 am

$4 million payout
Last edited by DOC on Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:18 am

gadj1976 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Good on him for a making a brave decision(though sounds like it was made for him).
It is just a game of footy after all.

and 800k per year. That's a tough-er decision to make and adds to the fact that he's made a better longer term decision.

Reports he’ll be paid out his contract in full.
4-5 years to go(can’t remember which).
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Dinglinga75 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:41 am

https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-umpire-c ... se-147755/

The AFL's whistle-blowing community has become involved in a Sydney missing person's case after league goal umpire Jesse Baird failed to show up for his post during Thursday morning's Sydney-GWS fixture.

New South Wales police stated on Thursday that they held "grave concerns" for Baird and his partner Luke Davies after both were reported missing.

According to reports from News Corp, investigators are said to have found a large amount of blood at Baird and Davies' Paddington apartment while also locating bloodied clothing in a nearby skip.

Baird had been scheduled to act as one of two goal umpires during the Swans' and Giants' opening pre-season scratch match at Tramway Oval in Moore Park, just a short walk from Paddington.

The league was notified of the wider case after Baird failed to arrive before the 10am bounce.
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby DOC » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:50 am

Does not sound good
DOC
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:51 am

A police constable is allegedly involved according to the news I saw this morning
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:10 am

Brodlach wrote:A police constable is allegedly involved according to the news I saw this morning

Handed himself in.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:34 pm

This might be on of the most brilliant pieces I've ever read. Simply brilliant, what a young man.

---------------------------------------

Last week, I was informed by my neurosurgeon that I would be forced to medically retire from the AFL effective immediately. Scans taken 2 weeks after the qualifying final against Collingwood compared to scans taken last week revealed further deterioration of my brain as a direct result of the incident I was involved in that September evening. This means that medically, I can no longer continue to play contact sports of any kind to protect my long-term health.

I am absolutely shattered and did not see this reality coming to pass. The months following that incident have involved a painstakingly slow, methodical, and conservative process. I engaged the services of a neurosurgeon, neuro-physiotherapist, and neuropsychologist to assess my brain health and monitor my progress. The exceptional care provided by the medical team at MFC during the last 5 months had left me feeling very optimistic about my future in the game.

Alongside that positivity, however, was a constant concern for doing what was best for the health of my brain long-term. At each stage of my recovery that was the context through which I was receiving advice: my health before AFL. It is within this context that I had organised another full set of scans to be completed before I returned to play an AFL game against opposition. I wanted to be sure before leaving the relative safety of MFC training simulations that my brain was still in a fit state to endure contact from opposition, and it was after these latest scans that I was given the bad news. There has been too much damage to continue. The risk is now too great.

Whilst this medical retirement is devastating, I appreciate the severity of the situation as well as anyone. I respect the verdict of the medical professionals and agree with their desire to put the health of my brain before the future of my AFL career.

As I have reflected on everything over the past few days, I have come to feel incredibly grateful for several things that I would like to acknowledge.

I am grateful for the advancements in medicine, which hopefully have saved me from a future of incredibly difficult brain-related ailments that many of the past players’ cohort, my new peers, have endured and continue to endure. The issue of concussion is incredibly important for our game and industry to address over the coming years. We have made great strides in this space, but there is more that needs to be done to safeguard the brains of players not only in the AFL ranks, but from grassroots all the way up. I believe the future of our game will be strongly impacted by how we deal with this element of player safety as more information comes to light. I hope the AFL will be proactive in the future when it comes to the safety of its players as opposed to reactive, so we can continue to enjoy this amazing game and protect the brains of the players. They must be sacrosanct.

I am grateful for the support I have received as an AFL player, and count myself incredibly lucky for the help I received from various medical professionals, my management, the Melbourne Football Club, and the AFL in dealing with the fallout from this news.

I am overwhelmingly grateful for my family and friends. Telling my fiancé, parents, brothers, extended family, close friends, and my teammates has been very difficult. I see how upset it makes them, but more obvious is the love, care, and pride they have for and in me. I love them all so much. In particular, seeing my fiancé Danielle’s strength after her late father Danny’s well-documented ordeal with CTE amazes me, and I would not have dealt with my own trials and tribulations as well without her support, and certainly the support of everyone in my life.

I am grateful for the career I have had and grateful for the game of AFL. I played 167 games and won an AFL grand final. There are rarely fairytale endings in life, and in football less so. Many would be happy with a single game, yet I have achieved so many of the dreams I had as a young boy. Kicking a footy around in the backyard with my brothers pretending we were on the MCG are some of my earliest memories, and I was able to live those childhood fantasies. I struggle to find the words to describe how happy that makes me. Whilst it came to an abrupt end and I feel devastated at the moment, I also can't help but feel lucky, and I know as time passes, I will look back on the good times with immense pride and happiness.

I think mostly I am grateful for the people I met along the journey. I remember vividly Nathan Jones picking me up on my first day, and I sit here 9 seasons and 10 pre-seasons later with a wealth of amazing people met and memories made. The Melbourne Football Club drafted me, and I am so proud to be counted as a one-club player. I have never felt a stronger sense of belonging in my entire life than I did walking into the club every day. I never took that feeling for granted and will miss it so much. I am grateful for the opportunity they gave me, and I can say truthfully that I tried my hardest to pay the club back for believing in me.

I felt immediately embraced by the fans, another aspect of my career I am grateful for. From the Demon Army, to our Coterie group, to fans I encountered on the streets, I only ever felt overwhelming positivity, passion, and support. One of the most profound results of winning the 2021 premiership I experienced was how much that game impacted the lives of our fans in the most positive way possible. I love hearing about the stories our fans have of watching the game, and I love seeing how much joy reliving that memory gives them. Ultimately, AFL is only a game, but the influence it can have on so many people will never be lost on me, and I feel incredibly privileged to be able to affect so many people in such a positive way. I will cherish this feeling for the rest of my life.

I am grateful for the coaches and staff who have been involved along my journey. Paul Roos gave me my first game and Simon Goodwin is my premiership coach, but there are hundreds of assistant coaches, strength and conditioning staff, footy admin and countless volunteers who I have encountered along the way who all had a positive and profound influence on me. I will be forever indebted for their contributions to my club and my career.

Finally to my teammates. I love you all more than I can describe, or you could possibly know. You are the reason I loved coming into the club, and you are going to leave a massive hole in my heart. I am going to miss the little things the most: the end of a hard session, banter about the latest golf score, the 10 minutes we all shared straight after a win, and the hundreds of moments of interaction we shared daily that always put a smile on my face. Whilst I know it won’t quite be the same, I count you as some of my most cherished friends and am looking forward to watching you over the coming years and enjoying our friendship for the rest of our lives. I hope you enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed all of yours, and I want you to know that being the best teammate was all I ever wanted to be.

I know the coming days will be sad and upsetting for me (I am crying as I am writing this) and many others. I know that it's important to acknowledge that this is tough, but I also think that perspective is important. This decision that has been made for me is to protect my long-term health. That is a good thing. I hope to live a long and full life. I have many passions that I look forward to pursuing, and amongst the sadness and loss, there are feelings of excitement about the possibilities the future holds for me. Change is inevitable, and I believe that as this door has been shut for me, so many more will open in the future. That provides light at the end of this tunnel I find myself in, and it would be remiss of me to fail to acknowledge that hundreds of millions of people around the world are currently doing it tougher than I am. It is hard for me to stay upset for long.

So, I will regroup and move on to the next phase of my life. To name the things I will miss would take too long, so I think it is better to name the short list of things I won’t miss. It fills me with unbridled joy that never again will I have to: Run a time trial, weigh in, miss a game of golf for injury, have my skinfolds measured, or spend any time whatsoever in an ice bath. Good riddance.

And so, concludes my career. I have no regrets and a lot of love.

My heart will ALWAYS beat true for the red and the blue.

Go Dees.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby DOC » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:57 pm

Beautifully written. Career as a print journalist perhaps.
DOC
Coach

Postby locky801 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:12 pm

Brings a tear to the eye, wish he and his family all the best in retirement and hopefully leads a healthy lifestsyle without the well documented affects of concussion
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3710 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:03 pm

This is tragic news.
It's a great game we learn as kids and unfortunately there are some collisions that just happen.
These will continue to happen as it's a collision sport.
The AFL have done great things to minimise the risk but you can not eliminate it.

And now this is going to come down to Brayden Maynard which I think is really unfair.
He was involved in one collision with Brayshaw not the 10 or whatever number of prior knockouts he's had.
That part of his statement I didn't like.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:05 pm

tigerpie wrote:This is tragic news.
It's a great game we learn as kids and unfortunately there are some collisions that just happen.
The AFL have done great things to minimise the risk but you can not eliminate it.

And now this is going to come down to Brayden Maynard which I think is really unfair.
He was involved in one collision with Brayshaw not the 10 or whatever number of prior knockouts he's had.

Yeah, bury the truth.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:31 am

His career is now finished from the results of that hit. He can say what he likes in my opinion as it’s his health that’s affected, not someone else’s feelings.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:55 pm

He hasnt had a crack at Maynard, what are you on about?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby tigerpie » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:19 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

I didn't say that. READ my post!
I just think his media manager should've worded the statement better.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:19 am

tigerpie wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

There's no digging out of that hole mate, I've read it 4 times now looking for thre corellation............there just is none.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:31 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
tigerpie wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

There's no digging out of that hole mate, I've read it 4 times now looking for thre corellation............there just is none.

Scans taken 2 weeks after the qualifying final against Collingwood compared to scans taken last week revealed further deterioration of my brain as a direct result of the incident I was involved in that September evening.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:52 pm

I guess I can go jump in said hole.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times