SANFL 2024

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2024

Postby wenchbarwer » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:56 am

Spargo wrote:
am Bays wrote:I’m pretty happy with McGree, his ability to play the Fourth midfielder role has helped us.

He’s the second coming of Trevor Cranston.

He must have got fit since his South Adelaide/Reynella days, was the prototype lumbering, old school ruck then.
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:07 am

Bramich from West could be very good, if he could actually get on the park and string some games together
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby am Bays » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:44 am

wenchbarwer wrote:
Spargo wrote:
am Bays wrote:I’m pretty happy with McGree, his ability to play the Fourth midfielder role has helped us.

He’s the second coming of Trevor Cranston.

He must have got fit since his South Adelaide/Reynella days, was the prototype lumbering, old school ruck then.

He has done the work, may even get a State Guernsey in a months time
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Hazydog » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:21 pm

Boyd arguably the best in the comp though

No argument from me!
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby southernbulldog » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:01 pm

Boyd clearly the best, McGree was very good last season
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Hazydog » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:28 pm

From The Advertiser..
“ SANFL clubs have expressed concern over the AFL’s game-changing new concussion policy, questioning its fairness in the local league.
While SA’s state league clubs fully understand the need to protect the head and players’ futures, they have questioned the disparity between the AFL’s new 21-day concussion protocol rule for players from the eight stand-alone clubs and 12-day protocol for AFL-listed players from Adelaide and Port Adelaide.

This could prove finals-shaping and premiership-deciding.”
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby northerner » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:50 pm

Hazydog wrote:From The Advertiser..
“ SANFL clubs have expressed concern over the AFL’s game-changing new concussion policy, questioning its fairness in the local league.
While SA’s state league clubs fully understand the need to protect the head and players’ futures, they have questioned the disparity between the AFL’s new 21-day concussion protocol rule for players from the eight stand-alone clubs and 12-day protocol for AFL-listed players from Adelaide and Port Adelaide.

Which translates to Port and Crow players EVEN THOSE WHO ARE TOP UPS, miss just one game whilst SANFL players potentially miss three.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 437 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby wenchbarwer » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:12 pm

northerner wrote:

Which translates to Port and Crow players EVEN THOSE WHO ARE TOP UPS, miss just one game whilst SANFL players potentially miss three.

This puts a whole new slant on it, sit back and grab the popcorn!
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:22 pm

Another classic example of the AFL boffins having NFI when it comes to the structure and systems of off field support provided at SANFL clubs and i dare say the WAFL clubs too
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Mic » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:14 pm

Why are the rules different? Do AFL players' heads recover quicker than all other footballers in the country?
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby whybother » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:40 am

Maybe you just need thicker heads to want to play AFL fooball
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Booney » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:36 am

sAnFL.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:46 am

Booney wrote:

sAnFL.

POrt pOwer
;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby knowledge » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:54 pm

Mic wrote:

Why are the rules different? Do AFL players' heads recover quicker than all other footballers in the country?

I don't know who put the AFL up as the gold standard in medical management. The 12/21 day scenario is all to do with the "Advanced Care Settings" that, apparently, exist in AFL clubs. You know, like the "Advanced Care Settings" on display at Adelaide Oval in August last year by PA. I still use it as an exemplar for my training staff of how NOT to manage a concussed player..... All they've done is set up situations where players will hide/not report head injuries in a number of situations and made life significantly harder for sports trainers. And, at no stage was there any consultation or communication with SANFL clubs regarding this. Typically, poorly implemented and badly thought out. Imagine trainers trying to implement this in local leagues......
Last edited by knowledge on Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby knowledge » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:01 pm

am Bays wrote:Another classic example of the AFL boffins having NFI when it comes to the structure and systems of off field support provided at SANFL clubs and i dare say the WAFL clubs too

Advanced Care Settings......yadayada! Guess they forgot to send the memo about "Advanced Care Settings" down Port Road way......
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby DOC » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:25 pm

Andrew Capel wrote this. I’m biased but this shows the good of football clubs and the perseverance of the young man.

It took a whopping 560 days between games and 13 months of physical and mental torture but South Adelaide footballer Zac Dumesny is finally back playing the sport he loves.
Last Saturday – 392 days since undergoing brain surgery – the 21-year-old former top AFL draJ prospect returned to the footy field amid liKle fanfare in what was a red- leKer day for him, his family and his SANFL club.
Wearing a helmet for the first Ome, Dumesny played all four quarters of a SANFL trial game for the Panthers against Woodville-West Torrens at Noarlunga Oval – just over a year aJer he underwent an eight-hour brain operaOon that leJ him virtually having to learn to walk and talk again.
When the popular Dumesny was lying in his bed at the Memorial Hospital last February, he thought his football career might be over.
Now he is sporOng a smile from ear to ear and dreaming big aJer safely negoOaOng his comeback game.
“It’s a preKy special feeling to be back playing again,’’ Dumesny told the Sunday Mail. “It’s something I never really expected aJer the surgery. In fact, if you’d told me that I’d get to this point I’d probably have laughed at you and thought it’s not realisOc.
“To look back at where I was then to where I am now, I’m just so proud and really can’t believe it.’’
Rewind 13 months and Dumesny – a Panthers product from ChrisOes Beach – had just survived a complicated, eight-hour operaOon to remove a brain tumour aJer he had seen a neurologist aJer being troubled by headaches for more than a year and a half.
An MRI revealed “a large cyst on my brain which had a tumour connected to it,” Dumesny said.
Prior to surgery, he was told that the operaOon could affect his ability to speak or walk

and there could be complicaOons. And then there was the threat of the tumour being malignant.
“The whole thing was preKy frightening, not knowing how things were going to turn out and hearing about all the things that could go wrong,’’ Dumesny said.
“It was a tricky operaOon and really scary but fortunately everything went really well.’’
The surgery on the back of Dumesny’s head – on February 4 last year – was supposed to go for three hours.
Instead, it was so complicated that it went for eight.
But the Dumesny family – Zac, mum Nicole, dad Duane and sister Chloe – got the news they had prayed for, that the tumour was benign.
“When I went in for surgery they weren’t certain whether the tumour was cancerous or not,’’ Zac said. “Thank goodness it wasn’t.’’
Dumesny – with support from his family and girlfriend Samantha Hiern – spent a week in hospital recovering before beginning his long and slow road to recovery.
With the operaOon deemed a success and his long-term prognosis good, Dumesny’s aKenOon quickly turned to playing football again.
In his AFL draJ year in 2020, the 187cm uOlity had been considered one of SA’s top draJ prospects aJer being a member of the AFL Academy and having played league football for South.
But he was surprisingly overlooked at the draJ, where Riley Thilthorpe (Adelaide), Lachie Jones (Port Adelaide), Corey Durdin (Carlton) and Luke Edwards (West Coast) were among the Croweaters to find AFL homes. Dumesny has never given up on his AFL dream and was determined to play football again.
“IniOally, it was almost like I had to learn how to walk and talk again,” he said of his rehabilitaOon program.
“Exercise-wise, it was basically three to four months of doing nothing because, as part of my recovery, I wasn’t allowed to get my heart rate up. That killed me mentally because I’m a very acOve person. The most exercise I was allowed was to go for a very slow walk along my local beach (ChrisOes Beach).

“AJer four months, I was able to incorporate a few more things, starOng with jumping on the exercise bike – at very low intensity – and then progressing to light weights and skill work around the footy club. Then I was able to start running again.’’
Just as Dumesny was making good progress, he had a setback. He suffered an abdominal hernia that required surgery, stalling his recovery for six weeks.
But his determinaOon to return to football, which his surgeon said was a possibility, never wavered.
Dumesny upped the ante with his training in November, was given the green light to join non-contact training in December and on February 4 – exactly a year aJer his surgery – he was given the medical all-clear to resume full training, provided he wore a helmet.
“That was a special day,’’ he said.
Dumesny played in an internal trial for South under lights two weeks ago – “I had a bit of trouble adjusOng to the lights, which will come with Ome,’’ he said – before being selected to take on the Eagles.
Playing at half-back, that was his first compeOOve game since round 19, 2022 – also against the Eagles at Noarlunga. “I don’t usually get nervous before games but I was preKy nervous last week,’’ Dumesny said.
“It was such a long build-up and so much work had gone into it. I was just hoping to get through the game and not really worrying too much about performance, but I felt really comfortable out there and played OK, which gives me something to build on.
“I sOll have some liKle ongoing issues, including balance, which will improve with Ome, but I’m just very grateful to be in the posiOon I’m in now. There was a Ome when I didn’t think I would play football again so ...
now that I’ve had a taste I want more.
“I’m sOll young and know I can get beKer and beKer and that it will take Ome to find my best form but I’m excited to see what comes.
“I’ve been playing football for preKy much my whole life, it’s what I know, and I want to challenge myself to play at the highest level I can.’’
Dumesny is studying speech pathology at Flinders University and said the work he had

done in his rehabilitaOon would put him “in the box seat to help others’’.
Coach Jarrad Wright hailed Dumesny’s comeback, describing it as “a great story’’.
“I’m unbelievably proud of him, not only from a football sense but just to be able to get back to full health,’’ he said.
“I remember siing in the hospital room with Zac post-surgery, which was a daunOng place to be, seeing what he had gone through and all the what-ifs... to watch him get beKer day by day and show such great determinaOon and perseverance that epitomises him.
“Watching Zac on the weekend, it didn’t look like he had missed 18 months of footy, which is a real credit to him.’’
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby Panther Pack » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:18 pm

Early days but South are a good chance for the spoon this year. We can't score been a problem for a couple of years and might be worse this year.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby southee » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:01 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Early days but South are a good chance for the spoon this year. We can't score been a problem for a couple of years and might be worse this year.

When you’re playing your full back as a full forward… it’s a bit of a worry.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 859 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:06 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Early days but South are a good chance for the spoon this year. We can't score been a problem for a couple of years and might be worse this year.

Bring back Studley?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:56 pm

dedja wrote:

Bring back Studley?

My first thought was Danny Del-Re
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 272 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL