Concussion

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Concussion

Postby cracka » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:54 am

wenchbarwer wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
wenchbarwer wrote:Yep, agree 100%, know that from personal experience! if anything should be made mandatory, it should be mouthguards

I cant work out for the life of me why people don't wear a mouthguard anyway! Surely if there is one thing you don't want knocked out, it's your teeth.

I honestly have no idea, either. Given dentists charge like wounded bulls, and if you have extras cover on your insurance you can shop around and get one with little to no out of pocket expense, it's a no-brainer.

I would start a game with a mouth guard in but within 2 minutes of playing it ended up in the socks. Just couldn't get used to them. Must admit, they were always off the shelf ones from a pharmacy & never proper fitted ones
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby cracka » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:54 am

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
wenchbarwer wrote:Yep, agree 100%, know that from personal experience! if anything should be made mandatory, it should be mouthguards

I cant work out for the life of me why people don't wear a mouthguard anyway! Surely if there is one thing you don't want knocked out, it's your teeth.

Never wore one in a game of either aussie rules or union. I tried them in training but could never get use to trying to breath with them........even when i had dentist fitted ones.

Always felt gassed or like i was going to 'gag' hahaha or some shit....felt like a sitting duck if i couldnt run well.

Exactly
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:09 am

Wonder if this is a generational thing now.

Were compulsory in juniors from day one for me and by the end every now and then if I had forgotten it I would feel very off and somewhat distracted not having one.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:17 am

jo172 wrote:Wonder if this is a generational thing now.

Were compulsory in juniors from day one for me and by the end every now and then if I had forgotten it I would feel very off and somewhat distracted not having one.

Possibly, I know mine were compulsory, but only because it was Mum's rules (HAD to be a dentist fitted one, too)!

I struggled initially with the gagging, etc, but I found a squirt of water in the mouthguard before putting it in made it sit super tight, and you just didn't notice it was there.
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby MW » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:18 am

wenchbarwer wrote:

Possibly, I know mine were compulsory, but only because it was Mum's rules (HAD to be a dentist fitted one, too)!

I struggled initially with the gagging, etc, but I found a squirt of water in the mouthguard before putting it in made it sit super tight, and you just didn't notice it was there.

so...many... TWSS....
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:19 am

Not all of us have dirty minds...
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby MW » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:36 am

wenchbarwer wrote:Not all of us have dirty minds...

Even the cleanest minds can see that one!
MW
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:54 am

We don’t?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:55 am

MW wrote:

Even the cleanest minds can see that one!

Mate, just like the footy field, you dont leave your self open....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:06 am

Yeah definitely could be.

In cricket i was the era of helmets becoming compulsory once i was in under 13's IIRC. Being 3ft nothing at that age haha there was massive incentive and benefits of me wearing a helmet when batting.

Move on 25 years and i could never bat in cricket without one, whether it was training or games, fast or slow bowlers. To be honest i hated playing indoor cricket because i had to bat without a helmet.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:14 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Is being reported a 21-day concussion rule being brought in to all levels below AFL and AFLW.

and 11 days for AFL :? Why? Less of a brain to damage?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby MW » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:25 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:Is being reported a 21-day concussion rule being brought in to all levels below AFL and AFLW.

12 days, and they have better care for their players than leagues below them apparently.
MW
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:27 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:As above

Watch this film

There was a neurosurgeon on 5AA this morning
Helmets protect damage to the exterior of the head not the brain.
They do SFA for concussion

The AFL should watch "Concussion"
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby tigerpie » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:39 am

Anyone find it odd that that AFL are all over blows to the head and yet Cornes and Brown are going to fight each other in the ring where the whole idea is to punch someone in the head till they're unconcious.
Agreed with these two some may say not much brain to damage but you would've thought with all the focus on brain injury this sort of stuff would be a no go for the AFL media.

In regards to helmets you've only got to look at the NFL.
The helmets just stop the facial fractures and cuts.
They do nothing for concussion as their stats show.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:41 am

I didnt realise until very recently that the majority of concussions are caused from the 'whiplash' of the contact, which explains why the helmet doesnt do a whole lot to prevent the concussion.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:50 am

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Never wore one in a game of either aussie rules or union. I tried them in training but could never get use to trying to breath with them........even when i had dentist fitted ones.

Always felt gassed or like i was going to 'gag' hahaha or some shit....felt like a sitting duck if i couldnt run well.

Did you try holding your hair back?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby overs » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:32 pm

Understand this is less about the effectiveness of helmets (as studies have proven) and more about good 'optics' and being seen to be proactive to insurance
overs
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:36 pm

Will other sports like basketball and netball follow?
Not contact sports but still have concussions
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Benchwarmer » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:25 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I call BS - especially at senior level - it's very well documented that helmets do zero to stop concussion.

That said, Many junior comps in Victoria have a compulsory helmet rule.

If you normalise it from juniors, it doesn't become an issue

Mouthguards do more than helmets to prevent the severity of concussion. True story.

21 day new rule for SANFL downwards

still 12 days for AFL, as they have the qualified staff available to monitor 24/7 if needed

Bang on. It has been known since the 1980s that helmets won't solve the issue.

Concussion occurs when the brain hits the skull. Wearing a helmet in a collision will not stop that. For example, the many NFL players in America with CTE issues even though they have been wearing what is akin to motorcycle helmets for many decades. Cricketers such as Will Pucovski are subbed out of cricket matches due to concussion after being hit on the helmet, so even cricket helmets can't prevent concussion.

There is a quote from a video in the 1980s from the SANFL video Crashes & Clashes where a doctor said that helmets are only good for protecting against lacerations and little more.

Helmets are not the key to all this - they are just a revenue earner for companies that make them.

When a player wearing a helmet is involved in a collision, their head will still jerk back or be knocked in a certain direction ... and it will still cause a concussion.

The only way to avoid concussion is for all the players to roll around inside Zorb balls so they can't get involved in physical clashes, but the game would look bloody stupid too.
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby Dutchy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:36 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:

If the AFL were serious about this they would stand by the 21 day ban also and make it industry consistent not matter what level. The optics and acceptance at grassroots level would be much better if they did.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League