Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Re: Vale David Granger

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:40 am

Shit sad news.
He went through alot in life.
RIP
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby RustyCage » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:41 am

Sad news :(
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:55 am

I'm genuinely saddened to hear that.
He was out there, definitely one of a kind and could be scary but I developed almost a friendship with him over the last 7 or 8 years especially when he'd come into the pub I worked at daily and have a chat. He recognised that we had a shared Aboriginal heritage and always called me bro and we both had a shared dislike of Graham Cornes.
I showed him a bit of kindness which not a lot of people did and he always would come have a chat with the wife and I when he saw us in recent years at pubs, even bought me a beer recently.
Last time I saw him, he gave me some of his artwork and told us he was going into hospital soon to have a lump on the side of his face removed and he 100% believed he was about to die.
RIP Dave, hopefully you don't have to wrestle with any more demons now.

PS Putting aside the thuggery he was a great footballer and success seemed to follow him for a while.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Brodlach » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:49 am

Very well said Wedgie.

I too was a fan but grew up frightened by him until one day at Richmond Oval I was walking behind the change rooms and he walked out. I was about 9, I nearly crapped my pants. He came over and was so nice to talk to, he even bought my older brother a beer. Even got him to sign my autograph book, he and Russell the only Port players I ever got.

Bit sad he will be more known for his on field indiscretions than his ability
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Gozu » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:20 am

I remember my dad telling me Dave Granger when playing for Seaton Ramblers used to cop all sorts of racial abuse from people in the crowd trying to goad him into doing something silly. Horrible stuff.

RIP
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:06 am

That's not good

RIP
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby whufc » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:44 am

No good. Hopefully he is at peace now.

Can't help but feel that he was a victim of his era. Asked/told/requested/encouraged to play a role which couldn't have been easy for both his body and mental state.

I never saw Grainger play but Paul Northeast is a cousin of mine and he would always tell me how good a footballer Grainger actually was but it never really got to truly shine.

Especially in an era where the understanding of mental health was borderline non existent.

Throw in the fact the tolerance levels to things such as racism were so different and you cant help but feel for the bloke.

As mentioned hopefully at piece now.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:00 pm

THE Port Adelaide Football Club is saddened by the passing of two-time premiership player David Granger who passed away yesterday at the age of 69.

Granger played predominantly as a key forward representing Port Adelaide in 103 games from 1975 to 1982. In between, he played three games for St Kilda in 1979.

Port Adelaide chief executive Matthew Richardson says Granger struggled with health issues in recent years.

“The Port Adelaide Football Club extends its condolences to David’s daughter Carly and family,” Mr Richardson said.

“David had battled health issues in recent years and it’s sad to learn of his passing.

“David was an incredibly talented player during Port Adelaide’s reign in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

“He was a modern-day type player, 188 centimetres tall, athletic and strong. David was exceptionally talented and was instrumental in the club’s drought-breaking 1977 Grand Final victory.”

Granger’s 1981 Premiership captain Brian Cunningham said “his football talent and enormous skills were often underplayed due to his notoriety.”

“David predominantly played as a strong centre-half-forward in an era when it was a very difficult position to play,” Cunningham recalled.

“He could reach high and take a powerful pack mark and possessed a beautiful, long kick.

“David played a crucial role in our premiership success in 1977 and 1981, establishing a formidable partnership with full-forward Tim Evans.

“He was a focal point for our game plan and if he didn’t mark the ball he would always bring the ball to ground and provide opportunities for others to benefit.”

Despite the public opinion that surrounded Granger, Cunningham remembered him in his playing days as a loyal team man who always had Port Adelaide at heart.

“He was misunderstood by others outside the club and sadly I don’t think we ever saw the best of David’s raw talent consistently on the field,” Cunningham said.

“I will remember him as enormously talented and someone who played a key role in our premiership successes in the late 1970s and early 1980s.”

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/ ... PhO8Uyxvzc
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:56 pm

Controversial. Cult hero. Complex. David Granger, the footballer and the man, was all this.

Often misunderstood but rarely under-appreciated as a powerful footballer, Granger is one of the most-remembered names from the Port Adelaide premiership teams of the late 1970s and early 1980s.

In fact, the popular corruption of his name to “Grave Danger” says so much of a man who stiffened the backs of opponents and fans as soon as he stepped over that white line of football fields in the SANFL and VFL.

His name is forever on the No.18 locker at Alberton, in recognition of his 103 senior games with Port Adelaide from 1975-1982.

The image of that No.18 on the back of a man who could have modelled for Greek mythological statues will never fade nor fall from the memory of thousands of Port Adelaide fans who admired Granger as the epitome of tough, uncompromising football, and a team-first mentality, regardless of the personal sacrifice that came with looking after his mates, on and off the field.

Granger’s premiership captain from the 1981 SANFL flag (his second league title), Brian Cunningham remembers a highly talented footballer who has had his skilful mastery of the game overshadowed by controversy.

“David was playing the toughest position – and holding up that role with his strength and his skill,” said Cunningham of the Victorian recruit who arrived at Alberton during the mid-1970s from VFL club St Kilda, where he had not advanced from trial games.

“He could reach high and take a powerful pack mark. He had a beautiful, long kick.

“David played a crucial role in our premiership success in 1977 and 1981, establishing a formidable key forwards partnership with Tim Evans.

“He was a focal point for our gameplan and if he didn’t mark the ball he would always bring the ball to ground and provide opportunities for others to benefit.”

But such memories are clouded by off- and on-field storylines that not only led the sports pages but also dominated the front pages of newspapers.

“David was misunderstood by others outside the club due to issues sometimes beyond his control. Sadly, we never saw the best of David consistently on the field,” Cunningham said.

“I will remember him as an enormously talented player and someone who contributed significantly in a key role for our premiership success.”

Born in country Victoria, with a difficult upbringing tainted with abuse and manipulation that tormented him in adult life, Granger made his SANFL league debut in 1975 and immediately left an impression.

He was tall (6’2″ in the old measure, or 188cm), he was fearless in any contest; he was strong; he had a vice-like grip in a marking contest and his kick was long and accurate. These were perfect attributes for a man playing that demanding role of centre half-forward in an era of quick, sweeping plays to the goalfront when key forwards were minded by mean-spirited, close-checking defenders.

From his debut in 1975, Granger was part of Port Adelaide’s failed group in the 1976 SANFL grand final against Sturt at Football Park. His “enforcer” image was born during this finals series. His contact with Sturt speedster Michael Graham on the outer side of Football Park early in the game highlighted Granger’s intolerance of any attack on a Port Adelaide team-mate. He was an “eye-for-an-eye” combatant.

This theme became as epic as any image Russell Crowe could have developed for a Roman gladiator. By the 1980s, Granger became the centrepiece of the brutal and deep-seated rivalry between Port Adelaide and Glenelg.

Granger never forgave Glenelg for its off-the-ball hits on rover Cunningham and full forward Tim Evans in tumultuous finals between the teams during the mid-1970s.

The ultimate flash points were from the 1981 SANFL grand final – after which Granger became the first SANFL player suspended on video evidence for his hit on Glenelg veteran Neville Caldwell – and the career-ending 1982 preliminary final that involved brutal moments with Glenelg trio Stephen Barratt, Graham Cornes and Peter Maynard.

Granger was suspended for eight matches at the SANFL tribunal and never played league football again, a finish that filled him with bitterness and a sense of betrayal.

He finished his playing career in the Spencer Gulf league at Port Pirie with Solomontown. It is far from surprising that his first game in the country league drew a record crowd.

Granger’s impressive start in SANFL football did draw the attention of St Kilda who recalled him to the VFL in 1979. He played three senior games – all losses to Carlton, Fitzroy and Melbourne from rounds 8-10. He kicked just one goal – in that last game against Melbourne.

Granger had two lasting crusades from his return to the VFL. First, he chased for years the contract payments not made by the St Kilda Football Club from an era when many VFL clubs were financially troubled and not meeting the payroll. He took his campaign as far as the doorstep of noted St Kilda fan, trucking magnate Lindsay Fox.

Granger’s other strongly devoted cause was the players’ union, the original VFL Players’ Association – another group he felt betrayed him. Granger’s commitment to the players’ fight for fair pay and conditions, during an era when cricket players won their battle with the support of television tycoon Kerry Packer, was symbolised by his membership payments to the VFLPA.

“I paid my dues TWICE,” Granger said.

Granger’s post-football life was loaded with as much controversy as his playing career, with constant headlines and arrests for possession of cannabis which he used to ease the pain of his physical injuries and his mental demons.

Of all the photographic images from his football career – many of which Granger collected with as much passion as he had for nurturing the perfect couch grass lawn at his Woodville home – there is one he significantly treasured.

It was, as should be expected, from a Port Adelaide-Glenelg contest. He had just beaten Glenelg superhero Peter Carey, who is seen trudging away with lowered shoulders while Granger points at him while making a mocking laugh.

Granger’s life, from his childhood to his death with cancer, was complex, complicated and controversial. His character, however, was simple – it was based on supporting your mate, playing hard football and winning. It is as true as Port Adelaide.

Granger was as Port Adelaide – loved or loathed. There was no middle ground. ( I love this - Boon )

At Alberton, many will worship the memory of a player who made his team-mates “walk taller” knowing he had their backs and his fans admire the strength, courage and beauty of his football.

So much of David Granger is untold and misunderstood. But never under-estimated is how, in the right circumstances, he could play the most powerful games in the most difficult role on the football field.

https://www.indaily.com.au/sport/2024/0 ... anger-dies
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:16 pm

As much as I despised him, every club needed a David Granger.
He could play!
RIP.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:20 pm

Any idea how many GF’s he missed due to suspension? I thought he would have played in more than two premierships
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby dedja » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:34 pm

Very sad to hear of anyone who passes at a relatively young age of 69.

Now is not the time to debate any controversies in his life, and in any case, somewhat difficult to comment as I never knew him personally.

There is no argument from me that he could play, had skills to burn when he wanted to play that way.

Obviously had some difficulties in his life and the only possible consolation is that he is hopefully now at peace.

RIP.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:59 pm

whufc wrote:I never saw Grainger play but Paul Northeast is a cousin of mine .

You dont' kick like him, do you? ;) :lol:

On a more serious note though, he was probably the most misunderstood player to ever play the game and it makes you wonder what kind of a footballer he'd be if he'd played todays game...

Despite his reputation, was very much loved by those of us that supported the black and white.

RIP.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby whufc » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:12 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
whufc wrote:I never saw Grainger play but Paul Northeast is a cousin of mine .

You dont' kick like him, do you? ;) :lol:

On a more serious note though, he was probably the most misunderstood player to ever play the game and it makes you wonder what kind of a footballer he'd be if he'd played todays game...

Despite his reputation, was very much loved by those of us that supported the black and white.

RIP.

Sadly i kick exactly like him. We are both left handers who kick with our right foot so we dont guide the ball down onto our feet with the right hand :lol: :lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby robranisgod » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:52 pm

Brodlach wrote:Any idea how many GF’s he missed due to suspension? I thought he would have played in more than two premierships

He didn't miss any Grand Finals due to suspension.
He missed the 1979 flag because he played that season with St Kilda.
I am not sure but incredibly I don't think that he made the 1980 Grand Final side,
As well as the two flags he played in the 1976 loss to Sturt.
He wasn't suspended very often. He did cop a large suspension after the 1982 Preliminary Final.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 230 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:47 pm

He won flags most years there for a while, probably at least a couple in the Ressies.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby robranisgod » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:06 am

Wedgie wrote:He won flags most years there for a while, probably at least a couple in the Ressies.

2 League Premierships - 1977, 1981 and one Reserves premiership - 1980.
He was at Port from 1975 until 1978 and then 1980 until 1982
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 230 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby cracka » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:39 am

I know I went to Sturt v Port games in the late 70's early 80's that he would have played in & will admit I'm one of the people that only ever thought of him as a dirty thug. Reading more about him above I've got different thoughts on him now.

Never knew he had indigenous heritage. His story sadly seems very similar to Robbie Muir. Unfortunately we still have a long way to go to eradicate this treatment of indigenous Australians.

My daughter was very intimidated/scared shitless of him but weirdly never felt threatened. He would go to Morphettville race course in the mornings & had some pretty out there conspiracy theories that he'd talk about.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby spell_check » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:01 pm

cracka wrote:Never knew he had indigenous heritage..

Same here, and while I have not seen this years AFL season guide; going on last years guide, they don't know it either (not listed in that section)
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum