Australian International Summer 2023/24

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Postby mots02 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:16 pm

I’m just pleased we ground out a win - I fully expected this group to roll over today, especially when Trav did what I expected this morning.

Glad they proved me wrong.

Pat has now been there at the end to steer us home from a fair way out in both Eng and NZ, think he’s earned some praise.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby mots02 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:17 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:There are two opinions to the debate, both have merit and neither are wrong.

That’s not how sa footy works ;)
mots02
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:30 pm

mots02 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:There are two opinions to the debate, both have merit and neither are wrong.

Sorry man, I’m new here.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby locky801 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:32 pm

Carey was actually robbed of his ton and not by Pat

Evidently he got an inside edge which flew into his pad and they ran 3 which were called leg byes

Lots speaking about it on the Fox sports cricket page
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3710 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:05 pm

Absolute crap those suggesting that Cummins should have ensured Carey got his ton. Anything can happen in test cricket and if Cummins got out trying to be cautious or Carey gets out early in the next over then no guarantee we win. Carey edged Henry for 4 the over before and his last single was awkwardly played. And if he wanted the 100 he wouldn’t have taken the single. What if he gets out to Henry first ball next over then Henry has 5 balls to get Lyon and Hazlewood. A win from an unlikely situation is far more important than worrying about blokes making a ton or getting a 5 for.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby tigerpie » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:16 pm

What if the sky fell on all of us and we couldn't play any more?
It's dribble, there's no way we were going to lose with 2 runs needed.
If we lost from there then we didn't deserve the win.
Cummins blew it as far as I'm concerned.
Poor form Pat!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:25 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Absolute crap those suggesting that Cummins should have ensured Carey got his ton. Anything can happen in test cricket and if Cummins got out trying to be cautious or Carey gets out early in the next over then no guarantee we win. Carey edged Henry for 4 the over before and his last single was awkwardly played. And if he wanted the 100 he wouldn’t have taken the single. What if he gets out to Henry first ball next over then Henry has 5 balls to get Lyon and Hazlewood. A win from an unlikely situation is far more important than worrying about blokes making a ton or getting a 5 for.

Common sense has no pace on internet social flora!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:40 pm

locky801 wrote:Carey was actually robbed of his ton and not by Pat

Evidently he got an inside edge which flew into his pad and they ran 3 which were called leg byes

Lots speaking about it on the Fox sports cricket page

Thats interesting because Marsh was given a run a few balls after it initially being called a leg Bye. It was a faint inside edge, he was on either 59 or 69 at the time. They just happened to show it because there was a chance NZ were going to review for LBW, they chose not to in the end but the broadcaster showed what wouldve happened if they did.
They should review all leg byes or none and adjust accordingly
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby mots02 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:50 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
mots02 wrote:

Sorry man, I’m new here.

Rookie mistake - the wide eyed innocence and optimism of youth.
mots02
League - Top 5

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:53 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Absolute crap those suggesting that Cummins should have ensured Carey got his ton. Anything can happen in test cricket and if Cummins got out trying to be cautious or Carey gets out early in the next over then no guarantee we win. Carey edged Henry for 4 the over before and his last single was awkwardly played. And if he wanted the 100 he wouldn’t have taken the single. What if he gets out to Henry first ball next over then Henry has 5 balls to get Lyon and Hazlewood. A win from an unlikely situation is far more important than worrying about blokes making a ton or getting a 5 for.

What if Cummins got out playing that shot?
They were always going to win.
Wouldn’t have hurt Pat to let him get a hundred.
No big deal but still would have looked good on Carey’s resume.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:01 pm

This place……….lol!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:31 pm

This puts it to bed.

Australia's captain Pat Cummins has admitted he was clueless to the fact Alex Carey was two runs away from a century as he hit the winning runs in Australia's second Test victory over New Zealand.
Carey edged close to his second Test hundred with Australia needing seven runs to win in the 64th over with the wicket-keeper batter on 93 not out.
Ben Sears' first delivery went to the boundary after a Carey pull shot before the 32-year-old claimed a single with the second ball.

Cummins then hit the final delivery through cover point for four to seal victory but unfortunately rob Carey of a century.
Post-game, Carey admitted to TVNZ+: "I was happy with that, I didn't want to get on strike again."

Speaking to ABC Radio as well, Carey added he was no certainty to get past the mark anyway.
"(I was) pretty happy I didn't have to face another ball, I was pretty up and about at that stage and might have played a rash shot with the energy going the way it was", he said.
Cummins revealed his plan was to reach the target "any way possible" but was unaware how close Carey was to a ton. 
"I had no idea he was on 98 so that would've been embarrassing if he was celebrating and I wasn't looking," he told TVNZ+.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:38 pm

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4XSUgLv ... ViN2w2cmJp
A message from Solar Panel Pat to his SA Footy fans. :)
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:47 pm

Brodlach wrote:This puts it to bed.

Australia's captain Pat Cummins has admitted he was clueless to the fact Alex Carey was two runs away from a century as he hit the winning runs in Australia's second Test victory over New Zealand.
Carey edged close to his second Test hundred with Australia needing seven runs to win in the 64th over with the wicket-keeper batter on 93 not out.
Ben Sears' first delivery went to the boundary after a Carey pull shot before the 32-year-old claimed a single with the second ball.

Cummins then hit the final delivery through cover point for four to seal victory but unfortunately rob Carey of a century.
Post-game, Carey admitted to TVNZ+: "I was happy with that, I didn't want to get on strike again."

Speaking to ABC Radio as well, Carey added he was no certainty to get past the mark anyway.
"(I was) pretty happy I didn't have to face another ball, I was pretty up and about at that stage and might have played a rash shot with the energy going the way it was", he said.
Cummins revealed his plan was to reach the target "any way possible" but was unaware how close Carey was to a ton. 
"I had no idea he was on 98 so that would've been embarrassing if he was celebrating and I wasn't looking," he told TVNZ+.

Yeah, Cummins didn’t know and Carey wasn’t fazed. EOS! Hypotheticals are pointless, we won so the rest is redundant, nice boost to Carry’s average for the series at the end of the day.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:26 pm

New Zealand’s record v Australia in matches that actually matter at Test and Limited Overs level in the last 31 years (being polite) is simply deplorable. Should send out the Wallabies with baggy green caps on and we’d get back the Bledisloe Cup in a ******* canter….
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:35 pm

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/nz-v ... 17-1424439

13- Consecutive Test series without a defeat for New Zealand at home before losing to Australia. New Zealand's last series defeat was in a three-match series against South Africa in March 2017. New Zealand played 13 two-match Test series at home between the two series defeats, winning in ten while another three ended in a draw.

210- Runs scored by the Australia batters at No.6 and lower during the fourth innings. These are the most by any team's No.6 and lower batters in a successful fourth-innings chase, surpassing the 190 by Sri Lanka against Zimbabwe in 2017.

7- Consecutive Test wins for Australia against New Zealand in New Zealand. It is the joint-second longest winning streak against the home team in Test cricket. England won each of their first eight Tests in South Africa between 1889 and 1899, while New Zealand also won their recent seven Tests in Zimbabwe (since 2000).

15-1- Australia's win-loss record while chasing a target against New Zealand in Test cricket. The 2011 Hobart Test was the only time Australia lost while chasing against New Zealand in Tests. The 279-run chase in Christchurch is now the highest that Australia chased successfully against New Zealand.

247- Runs scored by Australia after the fall of the fourth wicket in the chase. These are the third-most runs scored by any team after losing their fourth wicket in a successful fourth-innings chase in Test cricket. The previous highest for Australia was 244 against Pakistan in the 1999 Hobart Test, where they were 125 for 4 in a 369-run chase.

98*- Alex Carey's score in the Christchurch chase is the second-highest by a wicketkeeper in a successful fourth-innings chase in Tests. Adam Gilchrist's unbeaten 149 against Pakistan in 1999 in Hobart is the highest.

140- Partnership runs between Mitchell Marsh and Carey is the third-highest in a successful fourth-innings chase in Tests for the sixth or lower wicket. The highest is 238 between Justin Langer and Gilchrist for the sixth wicket against Pakistan in 1999.

2- Individual scores by No.7 or lower batters in a successful fourth-innings chase in Tests higher than Carey's 98 not out in Christchurch. Gilchrist's 149 not out against Pakistan came while batting at No.7, while Gilbert Jessop scored 104, also at No.7 against Australia in 1902 at The Oval.

3- Instances of Australia successfully chasing a target of 250-plus runs since 2008. During this period, Australia lost chasing 250-plus targets on 25 occasions, while another four ended in a draw. Johannesburg 2011 (310), Birmingham 2023 (281) and Christchurch 2024 (279) are those wins. Pat Cummins hit a boundary to close the chase in all three instances.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:29 pm

Booney wrote:
dedja wrote:Pat, shut the faark up and just play cricket. :roll:

Takes wickets. Win trophies. Winds up boomers.

Love Captain Pat.

Still.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:31 pm

Booney wrote:
Booney wrote:
dedja wrote:Pat, shut the faark up and just play cricket. :roll:

Takes wickets. Win trophies. Winds up boomers.

Love Captain Pat.

Still.
Boomers gonna hate Solar Panel Pat!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:41 pm

We aren't focused on the outcomes says Daryl Mitchell. The mating call of the loser. I was a D Grade scrubber but I wasn't out there to make friends.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:44 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:We aren't focused on the outcomes says Daryl Mitchell. The mating call of the loser. I was a D Grade scrubber but I wasn't out there to make friends.

regards,

REB

If you play at the pinnacle level of your sport, your sole focus should be about winning.

Are we winning? If yes, keep winning. If no, how do we win?

It's not rocket surgery, that's for sure.
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket