I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:41 pm

Brodlach wrote:
dedja wrote:People who are doing well are doing really well, those struggling are really struggling ... it's two paced, exacerbated by the Covid years and the fall-out we are experiencing now.

Agreed but would those not doing well not be doing well anyway? No matter how tge economy is going there is a portion struggling

People may have been getting by, not struggling, but when your rent goes up $100-$200 a week it can turn it into a real struggle
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby am Bays » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:57 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
dedja wrote:People who are doing well are doing really well, those struggling are really struggling ... it's two paced, exacerbated by the Covid years and the fall-out we are experiencing now.

Agreed but would those not doing well not be doing well anyway? No matter how tge economy is going there is a portion struggling

People may have been getting by, not struggling, but when your rent goes up $100-$200 a week it can turn it into a real struggle

When your loan goes up $100-$200 a week it can turn it into a real struggle too.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby MW » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:04 pm

am Bays wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

When your loan goes up $100-$200 a week it can turn it into a real struggle too.

I know which one I feel more for... :roll:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:49 pm

MW wrote:

Are you suggesting that people spending X% of their income on rent are more special than people spending the same X% on a mortgage?
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:58 pm

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:58 pm

Last edited by Booney on Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:00 pm

Is there an echo in here??
Attachments
west.jpg
west.jpg (16.57 KiB) Viewed 357 times
am Bays
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:06 pm

am Bays wrote:
MW wrote:

Are you suggesting that people spending X% of their income on rent are more special than people spending the same X% on a mortgage?

I'm suggesting that people spending X% of their income on rent are more special than people spending the same X% on a rental mortgage
MW
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:09 pm

MW wrote:
am Bays wrote:
MW wrote:

I'm suggesting that people spending X% of their income on rent are more special than people spending the same X% on a rental mortgage

Spoken like a true white collar worker!

But I do agree also
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby MW » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:23 pm

:lol:
I've never rented a day in my life and hope I never have too.
Just can't get my head around paying someone else's mortgage, but totally understand why and how some have to rent.
MW
Coach

Postby dedja » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:27 pm

MW wrote::lol:
I've never rented a day in my life and hope I never have too.
Just can't get my head around paying someone else's mortgage, but totally understand why and how some have to rent.

Yes you do … when you go on holidays. :D
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby MW » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:29 pm

Well yeah I suppose :lol:
MW
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:06 pm

Interesting stat I saw the other day, last year 1/3rd of all house settlements were paid in cash (no mortgage)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby MW » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:Interesting stat I saw the other day, last year 1/3rd of all house settlements were paid in cash (no mortgage)

The source of that cash is what concerns me
MW
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:45 pm

Dutchy wrote:Interesting stat I saw the other day, last year 1/3rd of all house settlements were paid in cash (no mortgage)

Nationwide, or just in QLD?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Dutchy » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:29 pm

MW wrote:

OS investors?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby MW » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:34 pm

Dutchy wrote:
MW wrote:

OS investors?

Yeah you’d think so
MW
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:39 pm

am Bays wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Can vouch for that.....now paying around $1000 per month on the mortgage than when the loan was first taken out in 2020 at the start of this shit show!

Changed jobs too in that time for more $$$ but even that has been taken up by the general expenses.

Chery on top was being informed that I have a tax bill!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:08 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:I know this many cause some stick and I preface it that it doesn’t effect me as I am older and financially stable but…

Is the Cost of Living crisis as bad as the media makes it out to be or is it a media beat up? Certainly some are struggling but would those people be struggling anyway?

Just to mention a few things of recent times.

Melbourne GP sold out for the three major days, Thursday is close.
Record crowds at the Fringe
Record crowd for Round 1 of the AFL
NRL crowds up.
NBL Finals sold out.
Auction results/clearance rates very high.
LIV sold out
Gather Round sold out.
I know house prices and rent is increasing to some but not all.

Just a thought.

Had the exact conversation on the weekend.

In short I arrived at the fact people are still living life on the back of the COVID restrictions, people are out and about as we were pre-COVID and big ticket things are the ones suffering.

Harvey Norman sales were down 7.8% in the back half of last year ( year on year ). Travel is hard to gauge, there's less planes in the air and prices are up based on demand but my guess is people, in general, are taking less big holidays compared to before COVID. Particularly the middle of the road trips, weekends to Melbourne for the footy type thing.

New car sales were a record high last year, that number is already slowing on the back of the post Xmas period.

I also think post-COVID people are just living life as opposed to worrying so much about nest eggs or what might come in years ahead.

I think it’s a good conversation to have.

Harvey Norman would have to be lower in sales as they had record sales and profits in the three previous years They couldn’t keep that up.

Lot of people still seem to be holidaying in our own country are than overseas although I know many from all ages going O/S
International outbound travel from Australia is sitting at close to pre Covid levels but inbound is suffering and less tourists choosing to come here. Domestic travel is also close to pre Covid levels. Has been a massive increase in Premium fares for International flights out of Australia though and most business class seats are sold well in advance. A lot of Australians on our cruise and out and about in Europe currently
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby cracka » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:25 pm

dedja wrote:No disrespect, but obviously you haven't been affected. There are many that have, by losing income from losing their job or receiving a reduced wage under job keeper, and then having to either pay large increases in mortgage payments or unable to rent.

There were instances of some people being better off under job keeping but I suspect that's the exception rather than the rule.

People who were able to ride the wave have prospered during the same period and the gap has widened, I think, much more than is usually the case due to these extra-ordinary events.

We can agree to disagree. :YMPEACE:

I was under the impression it was the rule rather than the exception as it wasn't thought through properly & easily rorted
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion