Each Clubs' Guernseys throughout the years

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Postby Ian » Mon May 08, 2006 11:28 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:
This was from 1978?-82 (I say 78, as they added the Roosters logo in that year, I think..)

This guernsey(minus the badge) was introduced in Round 7 of 1970 (against West). In 1977 the SANFL 100 logo was added just for that season (like all clubs) and the club badge was added in 1978. It was last used in the pre-season of 1983.

I got mine in '78, still have it in the cupboard, my son wore it to the heritage game in 2004 against Glenelg.
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Punk Rooster » Mon May 08, 2006 11:42 pm

I whipped those up on "paint"- not bad, eh? :wink:
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Ian » Mon May 08, 2006 11:50 pm

Punk Rooster wrote:I whipped those up on "paint"- not bad, eh? :wink:

Just missed the white v neck, and white around the arm holes. :wink:
I know your favorite is the stripes, mine was always the '70's V, but in the last few years I've been leaning more towards the previous V that was up a lot higher.
Although North's guernsey doesn't clash with anyone elses, I wouldn't mind seeeing the old Red V on White (1930's I think) as an away top.
Ian

Postby spell_check » Mon May 08, 2006 11:56 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:
This was from 1978?-82 (I say 78, as they added the Roosters logo in that year, I think..)

This guernsey(minus the badge) was introduced in Round 7 of 1970 (against West). In 1977 the SANFL 100 logo was added just for that season (like all clubs) and the club badge was added in 1978. It was last used in the pre-season of 1983.

Who was behind the stripes idea? On another note, I think Daryl Hicks was behind the 79-91 Centrals guernsey, who wanted to make it look more soccer like.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby am Bays » Tue May 09, 2006 12:02 am

Not that I'm an expert on the history of the NAFC wasn't it Nunan's idea?
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Ian » Tue May 09, 2006 12:08 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:Not that I'm an expert on the history of the NAFC wasn't it Nunan's idea?

Yep, as was taking down a heap of the clubs history from the walls in the clubrooms.
Ian

Postby spell_check » Tue May 09, 2006 12:22 am

Seems that a change in guernsey is usually the coaches' idea. Neil Kerley changed the Torrens' "Braces" jumper c.1973-76 to the sash. In "Knuckles" he said that he should have done more to change the Centrals' "Wishy-washy" guernsey; he hated it.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Punk Rooster » Tue May 09, 2006 10:26 am

Ian wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:I whipped those up on "paint"- not bad, eh? :wink:

Just missed the white v neck, and white around the arm holes. :wink:
I know your favorite is the stripes, mine was always the '70's V, but in the last few years I've been leaning more towards the previous V that was up a lot higher.
Although North's guernsey doesn't clash with anyone elses, I wouldn't mind seeeing the old Red V on White (1930's I think) as an away top.
I think your talking about another guernsey? Neither the 70's or 80's jumper had white around the arms/neck.

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Postby Punk Rooster » Tue May 09, 2006 10:31 am

As worn from R7 1970-1976

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Tue May 09, 2006 10:32 am

spell_check wrote:
Leaping Lindner wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:

Who was behind the stripes idea? On another note, I think Daryl Hicks was behind the 79-91 Centrals guernsey, who wanted to make it look more soccer like.

Hicks' Central guernsey is straight out of the movie "Escape to Victory". And it was bloody awful :lol:
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Tue May 09, 2006 10:45 am

Ken Farmer's last game. Wearing the V jumper worn between 1924 - 1970 (except 1937-38 )
Note the North Colts in the guard of honour are still in the 37 jumper

lace up version of the V jumper

V jumper with the NAFC shield on left breast. Only worn in 1965 and 1966 as in 1967 it was changed to lace up.
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Postby Magpiespower » Thu May 11, 2006 10:28 am

Ian wrote:Although North's guernsey doesn't clash with anyone elses, I wouldn't mind seeeing the old Red V on White (1930's I think) as an away top.

Probably in the minority here, but I'm all for home/away guernseys.

Especially if they pay tribute to the club's history - as North's white guernsey with a V obviously would.

And before all the traditionalists' here get all hot and bothered (as they do about 20-odd year-old logo's :roll:)...

Home and away strips don't seem to cheapen the tradition of ManU, Real Madrid, NY Yankees, Boston Celtics, LA Lakers and so on.

And FWIW, I hate red and white vertical stripes! Even worse with the 'blocky,' gridiron numbers on the back (circa mid-80s).
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Ecky » Thu May 11, 2006 12:28 pm

Magpiespower wrote:
And before all the traditionalists' here get all hot and bothered (as they do about 20-odd year-old logo's :roll:)...

Make that 30 year old logos :wink:

I don't mind the concept of away guernseys provided that

:arrow: the colours of the club are maintained
:arrow: the guernsey reflects an aspect of the history of the club (preferably is a guernsey worn in a previous era)

And on a related topic, one point that seems to be largely overlooked in the AFL alternate guernsey debate is that you don't need to change your colours to have an alternate guernsey. eg. If Collingwood have a predominantly white guernsey when playing teams with dark guernseys, and have a predominantly black guernsey when playing teams with light colours, then there would be no clash.
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Mr66 » Fri May 19, 2006 9:10 pm

Ecky wrote:
Magpiespower wrote:

Make that 30 year old logos :wink:

I don't mind the concept of away guernseys provided that

:arrow: the colours of the club are maintained
:arrow: the guernsey reflects an aspect of the history of the club (preferably is a guernsey worn in a previous era)

And on a related topic, one point that seems to be largely overlooked in the AFL alternate guernsey debate is that you don't need to change your colours to have an alternate guernsey. eg. If Collingwood have a predominantly white guernsey when playing teams with dark guernseys, and have a predominantly black guernsey when playing teams with light colours, then there would be no clash.

Ecky, you should be on the AFL Commision but you wouldn't last long
because you sound too sensible.
Didn't Knuckles change Westies jumper back to a sash in '81?
If one person does it, it's insanity. If millions do it, it's religion.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au
Mr66
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Pseudo » Fri May 19, 2006 10:48 pm

Just flicking through "Pride Of The Bay"...

Glenelg's colours initially were red yellow and black in 1920 when it fielded a side in the B grade. There is a black and white picture of a V style guernsey, but can't tell which colours are which.

In 1921 Glenelg entered the A grade and wore black with a gold hoop.

After a couple of years the gold with black V was adopted.

The sash guernsey was adopted in 1949.

I have heard that a gold yoke (like Melbourne's red yoke) was worn in one year in the sixties, but can't find reference to it.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Leaping Lindner » Sat May 20, 2006 12:02 am

Pseudo wrote:Just flicking through "Pride Of The Bay"...

Glenelg's colours initially were red yellow and black in 1920 when it fielded a side in the B grade. There is a black and white picture of a V style guernsey, but can't tell which colours are which.

I have heard that a gold yoke (like Melbourne's red yoke) was worn in one year in the sixties, but can't find reference to it.

This is from the 1965 Mobil Card Series

Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Tue May 23, 2006 12:51 am

Pseudo wrote:Just flicking through "Pride Of The Bay"...

The information I have is that Glenelg wore red, gold and black when it entered the league in 1921 and reverted to the gold with a black V in 1927 to 1948. Then the Black with gold sash came in 1949 until the early 1960s. The black with gold yoke was worn for at least 3 seasons. I don't know the precise year the yoke was introduced. I recall seeing Glenelg wearing it in 1964 when I started watching football, and they still had it in 1966. When Kerley came to the club in 1967 they went back to the gold sash.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Tue May 23, 2006 12:57 am

Mr66 wrote:Didn't Knuckles change Westies jumper back to a sash in '81?

Yes he did. Westies began in 1887 with red, white and blue, then from 1892 wore red and white. In 1895 they reverted to the red and black colours. One of their early designs was the black with red sash, but in the years up to WW2 they had the red and black vertical stripes. They went back to the red sash until Foster Williams took over and wore the vertical stripes again from 1974 to 1980.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby Dogsbody » Tue May 23, 2006 1:10 am

I'd love to see the SANFL have its own heritage round. :)

More memorabilia to collect. :D
ARRIVE... RAISE HELL... LEAVE.
Dogsbody
Under 18s

Postby Pseudo » Tue May 23, 2006 11:43 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:The information I have is that Glenelg wore red, gold and black when it entered the league in 1921 and reverted to the gold with a black V in 1927 to 1948. Then the Black with gold sash came in 1949 until the early 1960s. The black with gold yoke was worn for at least 3 seasons. I don't know the precise year the yoke was introduced. I recall seeing Glenelg wearing it in 1964 when I started watching football, and they still had it in 1966. When Kerley came to the club in 1967 they went back to the gold sash.

Glenelg definitely changed to black with gold hoop in '21; this was explicitly stated in "Pride Of The Bay".

There are a few pictures of the "yoke" guernsey in POTB but a quick scan of the text didn't reveal when it was introduced. I'll read the passage more thoroughly when I have the time. Until then I defer to your memory. I fully believe that Kerley was responsible for re-introducing the sash.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum